What would be your ultimate kitbashed (i.e. "ugly") starfighter design in the Star Wars Legends universe?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: What would be your ultimate kitbashed (i.e. "ugly") starfighter design in the Star Wars Legends universe?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Crazedwraith: That's a fair point. Overall, I think the TIEs have an overblown reputation for being terrible fighters, when (as you pointed out) even Rogue Squadron pilots regard have a TIE behind you as a bad thing. I suspect it's like "omg stormtrooper accuracy sucks," it's a brain-bug thats been building for a while.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Re: What would be your ultimate kitbashed (i.e. "ugly") starfighter design in the Star Wars Legends universe?

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

And I guess it could be doctrine instead of the machinery. Like authoritarian states that somehow are reliant on ground controlled intercepts for their fighters and restrict pilot independence and somehow consider ergonomic cockpits as an afterthought and are also paranoid about pilot defection... whereas the Rebels' enablement of pilot independence + emphasis on FTL transgalactic strike missions without motherships + interstellar guerrilla tactics and fluid hierarchy where their pilots can be Generals, spies, work with ground crews and provide *really close* close support to ground troops (like say when they're in the same hangar being shot up before DRAMATIC ESCAPES :D ) etc. might contribute to how the Rebel pilots are pretty much individually crack commandos if they survive their Porkins phase.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Crazedwraith: That's a fair point. Overall, I think the TIEs have an overblown reputation for being terrible fighters, when (as you pointed out) even Rogue Squadron pilots regard have a TIE behind you as a bad thing. I suspect it's like "omg stormtrooper accuracy sucks," it's a brain-bug thats been building for a while.
Oh I agree TIEs get memetically sold short. Like Stormies. I just don't want the scales to shift too far the other day.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, I'll play, I'll have the cockpit of an Eta-2 Actis, with the wings and hyperdrive of the Mandalorian Fang Fighter, and the shields of a B-wing. This way, she'll be aesthetically pleasant, even for an 'ugly'.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

I wouldn't be surprised if the actual cockpit of the B-Wing, at least the prototype version made by Quarry, doesn't have commonalities with the Actis...
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Crazedwraith: That's a fair point. Overall, I think the TIEs have an overblown reputation for being terrible fighters, when (as you pointed out) even Rogue Squadron pilots regard have a TIE behind you as a bad thing. I suspect it's like "omg stormtrooper accuracy sucks," it's a brain-bug thats been building for a while.
Having pretty much any sort of snubfighter on your tail is a bad thing.
Shroom Man 777 wrote:And I guess it could be doctrine instead of the machinery. Like authoritarian states that somehow are reliant on ground controlled intercepts for their fighters and restrict pilot independence and somehow consider ergonomic cockpits as an afterthought and are also paranoid about pilot defection... whereas the Rebels' enablement of pilot independence + emphasis on FTL transgalactic strike missions without motherships + interstellar guerrilla tactics and fluid hierarchy where their pilots can be Generals, spies, work with ground crews and provide *really close* close support to ground troops (like say when they're in the same hangar being shot up before DRAMATIC ESCAPES :D ) etc. might contribute to how the Rebel pilots are pretty much individually crack commandos if they survive their Porkins phase.
Plus the Alliance had much less in the way of pilots. Makes sense that they'd spend however much extra per unit it cost to maximize the chances of them surviving.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Chronic manpower sortage would make you focus on designs that bring your pilots back alive if you can afford that, IIRC most "uglies" are used by pirates or similar factions and only the Chiss Acendency being a major power that uses them as matter of fact, with Rebel Alliance or New Republic preffering to use their designs instead of kitbashes.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Lord Revan wrote:Chronic manpower sortage would make you focus on designs that bring your pilots back alive if you can afford that, IIRC most "uglies" are used by pirates or similar factions and only the Chiss Acendency being a major power that uses them as matter of fact, with Rebel Alliance or New Republic preffering to use their designs instead of kitbashes.
My post was referencing the TIE vs X-Wing thing, but Uglies.