Star Wars the last Jedi

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

eMeM
Padawan Learner

Re: Star Wars the last Jedi

Post by eMeM »

Chimaera wrote:Each to their own, personally I thought it sounded awesome :P
So the savior of the galaxy/force is reborn... 10 years after his previous death? Isn't that a tad too fast?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

Chimaera wrote:So, pretty interesting rumours and snatches of story that I've picked up on in the last few months...warning: potentially MASSIVE SPOILERS below.
Spoiler
Apparently, the Chosen One is a figure/entity that gets reincarnated at certain points in history, during times of massive conflict and inbalance within the force. It sounds almost like Avatar: The Last Airbender in how they approach it. There will be a point at which Rey makes a remark to Luke, something along the lines of "You're not my father" to which Luke replies "No, YOU are MY father!" which is where the true nature of the Chosen One is explained. Luke has spent decades immersing himself in the Force and exploring its deepest mysteries after his failure to rebuild the Jedi Order, and discovers that Anakin Skywalker was just one in a long line of Chosen Ones that acted as balancing agents for the Force. Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin, which explains why she is such a natural prodigy when it comes to the Force.
Oh hell no.
Spoiler
If that happens I will wash my hands of Star Wars for good. That train of story just makes me sick with disgust at the insanely stupid melodrama. The Matrix tried that and ended in a disgrace.

You want Rey to be a really lame mary sue messiah' - This is appalling but hardly unexpected when Star Wars has had such an effect on popular culture to the point most fans would create such a fanfic.

You want Rey to be a really lame 'Messiah' who is the 'reincarnation' of Vader - So who the fuck was Anakin a reincarnation of... Darth Revan ?

Enter the Star Wars Matrix - With the added Doctor Who Regeneration trick... fuck that.
If we are going to be heaping all this legacy Jesus / Messiah stuff... finish the saga with a take on Earth as Jesus or King Arthur just to be complete eye-rolling bullshit.

It is bad enough TFA was basically a rip off of ANH, but going one step further and dragging Vader from his fucking grave like this is horrific.
It is beyond sad Rogue One - The 'non' official Star Wars movie is the best thing this franchise has managed since Star Wars ended.
Frankly, that just screams like some stupid ass hole suits thinking that bringing Vader back means money bags and fuck the backbreaking gymnastics required to do so. This worked so well for the Aliens franchise when they brought back Ripley, it literally killed the franchise.

With this story: They are not only bringing back 'Ripley' but cramming the bullshit of Prometheus ontop as well. This kind of bullshit is why leaving well enough alone is the best policy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

PREDATOR490 wrote:
Chimaera wrote:So, pretty interesting rumours and snatches of story that I've picked up on in the last few months...warning: potentially MASSIVE SPOILERS below.
Spoiler
Apparently, the Chosen One is a figure/entity that gets reincarnated at certain points in history, during times of massive conflict and inbalance within the force. It sounds almost like Avatar: The Last Airbender in how they approach it. There will be a point at which Rey makes a remark to Luke, something along the lines of "You're not my father" to which Luke replies "No, YOU are MY father!" which is where the true nature of the Chosen One is explained. Luke has spent decades immersing himself in the Force and exploring its deepest mysteries after his failure to rebuild the Jedi Order, and discovers that Anakin Skywalker was just one in a long line of Chosen Ones that acted as balancing agents for the Force. Rey is the reincarnation of Anakin, which explains why she is such a natural prodigy when it comes to the Force.
Oh hell no.
Spoiler
If that happens I will wash my hands of Star Wars for good. That train of story just makes me sick with disgust at the insanely stupid melodrama. The Matrix tried that and ended in a disgrace.

You want Rey to be a really lame mary sue messiah' - This is appalling but hardly unexpected when Star Wars has had such an effect on popular culture to the point most fans would create such a fanfic.

You want Rey to be a really lame 'Messiah' who is the 'reincarnation' of Vader - So who the fuck was Anakin a reincarnation of... Darth Revan ?

Enter the Star Wars Matrix - With the added Doctor Who Regeneration trick... fuck that.
If we are going to be heaping all this legacy Jesus / Messiah stuff... finish the saga with a take on Earth as Jesus or King Arthur just to be complete eye-rolling bullshit.

It is bad enough TFA was basically a rip off of ANH, but going one step further and dragging Vader from his fucking grave like this is horrific.
It is beyond sad Rogue One - The 'non' official Star Wars movie is the best thing this franchise has managed since Star Wars ended.
Frankly, that just screams like some stupid ass hole suits thinking that bringing Vader back means money bags and fuck the backbreaking gymnastics required to do so. This worked so well for the Aliens franchise when they brought back Ripley, it literally killed the franchise.

With this story: They are not only bringing back 'Ripley' but cramming the bullshit of Prometheus ontop as well. This kind of bullshit is why leaving well enough alone is the best policy.
As I said, making Rey a spiritual successor to Anakin fits thematically.

Making her a literal reincarnation would be hard to do without it coming off as hokey and derivative, so I hope they don't go their.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

'Smatter with you miserable lot, honestly...
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)