Any canon info on the chiss?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Any canon info on the chiss?

Post by Lord Revan »

Is there any canon info on the chiss (Admiral Thrawn's species) besides the obvious fact that they exist (since Thrawn exists and is clearly not a human), Has any of the old EU material been recanonized or officially debunked by new info?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Any canon info on the chiss?

Post by Galvatron »

Star Wars: Commander recanonized the species.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Chiss
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Seeing as we have Thrawn walking about in Rebels the canon status of the species was not in question, I was thinking about more like things like the existance the details about the Chiss culture and nation even if they have any or are they just a minor species within the Empire(and possibly the Old Republic).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think they're letting Zahn spearhead any efforts at revealing the details about the Chiss in the new EU.

Given his enduring popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if Revan gets recanonized at some point too. Would you like that, fella? :)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Galvatron wrote:I think they're letting Zahn spearhead any efforts at revealing the details about the Chiss in the new EU.

Given his enduring popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if Revan gets recanonized at some point too. Would you like that, fella? :)
Isn't already? I'd heard he was in The Clone Wars. (Ah, I looked it up and only deleted scenes)
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Thrawn's origin was a mystery for a long time in the old EU. This time, I have a feeling Zahn will start with it and the story will end where his arc in Rebels begins.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Possible but it's also possible that Zahn will want to keep the details about the chiss vague and focus on how Thrawn got involved with the empire and leave the specifics of his species for later.

EDIT:Also is there any specific reason Revan is brought up everytime I ask something about the EU, I mean chose my name because of KOTOR but I'm not some raving fanboy desperately waiting for Revan to be recanonized, that said if he was recanonized it would be if we got "remaster"/"remake" version of KOTOR that kept the story and characters more or less the same but updated the maps and graphics to be more modern. I mean I like KOTOR but some of the maps really show their age and the limits what possible with game engine back then.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

You remind me of Revan. I'm sorry if that triggers you. Please don't go all dark side ending on me! :shock:
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

What you don't like massive fleets of Star Destroyers ;)

(Actually I preferred the Light Side ending they're both a bit cliche but the Light Side ending was at least intresting, while the Dark Side was more of the "look how cool and edgy we are" that had 0 story potential).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Galvatron wrote:Thrawn's origin was a mystery for a long time in the old EU. This time, I have a feeling Zahn will start with it and the story will end where his arc in Rebels begins.
Yes, given that Thrawn's place in the timeline has been bumped back by a good decade or so (he's already a Grand Admiral in Rebels), the bigger question is what is his fate after the events of the series. Not a peep about him in the post-Endor material so far as I'm aware, so in all likelihood he's dead, although other possibilities could doubtless be contrived if they really want to keep the character around.

Edit: As to Revan- sure, I wouldn't mind having him back, although their are some elements of his characterization, particularly later, that I'd probably prefer to see excised.

Basically, in my admittedly limited experience, their were three parts of the old EU that were a real loss- The Thrawn Trilogy, KotOR (including Revan, of course), and Dark Lord. The loss of the first has been mostly mitigated by bringing Thrawn back (still need Talon Karrde and Mara Jade back, though nothing can repair the dismal new fate of Han and Leia's family :( ). The loss of the latter is largely mitigated by how awesomely the new canon has handled Vader overall.

We're just missing KotOR.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Actually we do know something else about the Chiss based on the Commander game(according to Wookie). Because the character gives a threat by mentioning his Chiss guards, they are presumably known to the wider galaxy, which indicates that they are not the mostly hidden faction of the old EU. Presumably this is a similar point as to how other things have changed with the new canon, even as most of the general elements remain.
The Romulan Republic wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Thrawn's origin was a mystery for a long time in the old EU. This time, I have a feeling Zahn will start with it and the story will end where his arc in Rebels begins.
Yes, given that Thrawn's place in the timeline has been bumped back by a good decade or so (he's already a Grand Admiral in Rebels), the bigger question is what is his fate after the events of the series. Not a peep about him in the post-Endor material so far as I'm aware, so in all likelihood he's dead, although other possibilities could doubtless be contrived if they really want to keep the character around.

Edit: As to Revan- sure, I wouldn't mind having him back, although their are some elements of his characterization, particularly later, that I'd probably prefer to see excised.

Basically, in my admittedly limited experience, their were three parts of the old EU that were a real loss- The Thrawn Trilogy, KotOR (including Revan, of course), and Dark Lord. The loss of the first has been mostly mitigated by bringing Thrawn back (still need Talon Karrde and Mara Jade back, though nothing can repair the dismal new fate of Han and Leia's family :( ). The loss of the latter is largely mitigated by how awesomely the new canon has handled Vader overall.

We're just missing KotOR.
I would add Labyrinth of Evil, Wraith Squadron, and Darth Bane(the character as much as the stories). We already have Bane, as Filloni liked the character enough to throw him into the final season of Clone Wars.

Labyrinth of Evil was replaced with season 6 of Clone Wars, which I consider generally worse, as I would say that it makes the Jedi look far more foolish than LOE. Though the Clone chip plot has grown on me, largely due to Rebels.

Wraith Squadron is largely gone, as old EU characters like them are unlikely to make a return, but Rebels at its best does a pretty good job capturing much of the feel of Wraith Squadron. I believe there is also mention of a Phantom Squadron under the command of Wedge in the new EU as well, where is used immediately after Endor.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Actually, I'll add another one I like- the original Clone Wars animated shorts. Now, those were already treated as non-canon as I recall, pre-Disney, but I never saw much reason for it. Their's little to no contradiction between the two Clone Wars series- the first one, barring a couple brief montages where you have to imagine that Ashoka is just off-screen, takes place, almost entirely, either right after AotC where Anakin is still a Padawan, or just before/during the Battle of Coruscant. The second series slots nicely in between.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Actually, I'll add another one I like- the original Clone Wars animated shorts. Now, those were already treated as non-canon as I recall, pre-Disney, but I never saw much reason for it. Their's little to no contradiction between the two Clone Wars series- the first one, barring a couple brief montages where you have to imagine that Ashoka is just off-screen, takes place, almost entirely, either right after AotC where Anakin is still a Padawan, or just before/during the Battle of Coruscant. The second series slots nicely in between.
The novel Ahsoka does slightly contradict the series unfortunately, in which Ahsoka was on Mandalore going after Maul with Anakin's support, in which he even returned her lightsabers. He left to rescue the Chancellor. This scene was also alluded to in Rebels, as Ahsoka describes the last time she saw him. Though it still comes close enough to fitting, so you could always just go with it anyway.

I believe the idea originally was that they were canon, but not visually canon in the same sense as the films. Thus we assume that the events occured, just not in quite the same fashion as we see.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

A new novel, Thrawn, by Timothy Zahn is to be released on April 11 and it would be a fair guess that it'll include some info on the Chiss. A blurb was released the other day on Penguin Random House: Thrawn
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tbh SWTOR made it rather questionble that Chiss were unknown during the OT-era as the Chiss Accendency was a known ally of the Sith Empire. While it possible that your average joe in the Galactic Republic or Galactic Empire hasn't heard of the Chiss it would seem odd that people like the Jedi Order or the Senate haven't at least heard of them. While SWTOR is non-canon as far as I know it was canon when it came out.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Yeah, I always thought the commonality of the Chiss in SWTOR was anachronistic.