Imperial Army & COMPForce still a thing?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ender
Emperor's Hand

Imperial Army & COMPForce still a thing?

Post by Ender »

In the old stuff the Imperial Army (guys like Veers) was loyal to the state, COMPForce was loyal to the party, and the stormtroopers corps loyal to the throne.

Does that all still exist in the nu-canon, or is it all stormtroopers all the way down?

I mean the reason why the army and compforce existed in the first place was just to have lower level encounters for your heroes in the RPG, goblins to the stormtrooper's orcs, but it still made a bit of sense for what the Empire was supposed to be.

The ISB is still around. and Veers is still in, but are those organizations still "attached" to those or has it all been changed up?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
RogueIce
_______

Re: Imperial Army & COMPForce still a thing?

Post by RogueIce »

Near as has been shown, stormtroopers are the Army, and the Army are all stormtroopers. There is no COMPForce, but COMPNOR still exists IIRC so maybe at some point they'd be brought back? I wouldn't hold my breath on it, though.

But really, even in the old EU the Imperial Army barely existed outside of the WEG guides Timothy Zahn, and the Empire comics. The vast majority of authors treated stormtroopers as if they were the rank and file. So they might as well go this way in Disney Canon as well.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

As far as I can see, they've gone for all infantry being stormtroopers; though that does make some sense. If you've got the industrial capacity to churn out all that armour, you might as well give it to everyone. Also, it means that enemies can't tell (at least not by appearance) whether they're facing elite headbreakers or bumbling incompetents. The 'elite stormtrooper' role seems to have been taken by the Death Troopers, though Vader's stormtroopers in 'Siege of Lothal' were noticeably more competent than many of their 'Rebel's counterparts.

That said, I wouldn't have minded seeing some other types; even if only some planetary police or militia under Imperial control. As of Rebels, stormtroopers have to do pretty much everything, even hassling fruit sellers for trading without a permit. Of course, it could be that Lothal isn't trusted to maintain a separate police force, but the general impression seems to be that the Imperial forces do everything.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Yes, their's pretty obviously a wide range of quality in stormtroopers, but one would expect Vader's own forces (are they still called the 501st. Legion?) to be among the best. Vader doesn't tolerate incompetence from his men.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

They still exist in name even if they don't resemble their old incarnations.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Imperial_Army
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Commissi ... _New_Order
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

In general, what I have seen from the new EU is that most of it is mostly the same as the old with respect to locations, organizations, and the broad scope of history. The main differences is that few if any characters from the old continuity are the same, and that the events have been massively changed, with the changes increasing the further forwards you move in the timeline. Knights of the Old Republic might still be canon(notably Taris has been mentioned already) and Darth Bane still is as well, but virtually nothing from the New Jedi Order series and beyond likely will be. Though there was actually a reference to the Yuzhan Vong having an appearance in the unfinished seasons of Clone Wars surprisingly enough, sketches even exist.

Though there are several changes that do seem to streamline things, like that stormtroopers are now the default soldiers of the Empire. Which is honestly what they were from the old continuity in the majority of sources, including the films. It was the exception that made them elite shock troopers.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Adam Reynolds wrote:Though there was actually a reference to the Yuzhan Vong having an appearance in the unfinished seasons of Clone Wars surprisingly enough, sketches even exist.
Yes, but there would've been changes made to them. I read just the other day that according to Filoni, Lucas in their discussions decided that the Yuuzhan Vong wouldn't be force resistant nor that they would be extragalactic.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Isn't Kallus COMFOR at least officially?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Lord Revan wrote:Isn't Kallus COMFOR at least officially?
Apparently.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kallus

The ISB is under COMPNOR now, if it wasn't already.
The Imperial Security Bureau (ISB), also referred to as the Security Bureau or Imperial Security, was a law enforcement and intelligence agency of the Galactic Empire that was charged with matters of state security and ensuring the loyalty of citizens to the Empire. Aside from that, it happened to be one of the many umbrella organizations under the greater Commission for the Preservation of the New Order, and was larger than its sister agency Imperial Intelligence.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Mange wrote:
Adam Reynolds wrote: Yes, but there would've been changes made to them. I read just the other day that according to Filoni, Lucas in their discussions decided that the Yuuzhan Vong wouldn't be force resistant nor that they would be extragalactic.
True, but it is still surprising that they were included at all, especially because I don't see the target audience. Proper fans of the concept would be annoyed that it was changed, while anyone else would either not get the reference or be annoyed that it was included in the first place.

Edit: This is much the same problem that occurred when a Selkath(from KOTOR) character was introduced but changed, many criticized the differences. Notably it was over the fact that he spoke basic from what I remember. Though it was also a crap political episode that the character was introduced in.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Adam Reynolds wrote:True, but it is still surprising that they were included at all, especially because I don't see the target audience. Proper fans of the concept would be annoyed that it was changed, while anyone else would either not get the reference or be annoyed that it was included in the first place.
Same could be said about how they changed the Mandalorians. Karen Traviss' "Fandalorians" were outraged.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Ender wrote:I mean the reason why the army and compforce existed in the first place was just to have lower level encounters for your heroes in the RPG, goblins to the stormtrooper's orcs, but it still made a bit of sense for what the Empire was supposed to be.

COMPNOR still exists in the Nu-Canon-EU. It was amusingly preceded by something called COMPOR (Committee for the Preservation of the Republic) :lol:
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

MKSheppard wrote:COMPNOR still exists in the Nu-Canon-EU. It was amusingly preceded by something called COMPOR (Committee for the Preservation of the Republic) :lol:
Yeah, but you can thank the old EU for giving us COMPOR first.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Ender wrote:In the old stuff the Imperial Army (guys like Veers) was loyal to the state, COMPForce was loyal to the party, and the stormtroopers corps loyal to the throne.
According to Wookiepedia, Veers is still ImpArmy and the Stormtrooper Corps are now a branch of the Imperial Army, which is descended from the Grand Army of the Republic, for what it's worth under the Nu-Canon.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Right, COMPNOR exists, and the Imperial Army exists (I did check wookiepedia before posting) but I was unclear if COMPForce (the assault troops and military wing of the party) or if your bog standard Imperial Army trooper still existed. Apparently the answer is no, it is stormies all the way down.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
amigocabal
Jedi Knight

Post by amigocabal »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote:As far as I can see, they've gone for all infantry being stormtroopers; though that does make some sense. If you've got the industrial capacity to churn out all that armour, you might as well give it to everyone. Also, it means that enemies can't tell (at least not by appearance) whether they're facing elite headbreakers or bumbling incompetents. The 'elite stormtrooper' role seems to have been taken by the Death Troopers, though Vader's stormtroopers in 'Siege of Lothal' were noticeably more competent than many of their 'Rebel's counterparts.

That said, I wouldn't have minded seeing some other types; even if only some planetary police or militia under Imperial control. As of Rebels, stormtroopers have to do pretty much everything, even hassling fruit sellers for trading without a permit. Of course, it could be that Lothal isn't trusted to maintain a separate police force, but the general impression seems to be that the Imperial forces do everything.
Cloud City had its own police force, if I recall correctly.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Coruscant had a civilian droid police force during the Clone Wars. No idea if it was kept in service post-Empire though.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Juubi Karakuchi
Jedi Knight

Post by Juubi Karakuchi »

amigocabal wrote:
Juubi Karakuchi wrote:As far as I can see, they've gone for all infantry being stormtroopers; though that does make some sense. If you've got the industrial capacity to churn out all that armour, you might as well give it to everyone. Also, it means that enemies can't tell (at least not by appearance) whether they're facing elite headbreakers or bumbling incompetents. The 'elite stormtrooper' role seems to have been taken by the Death Troopers, though Vader's stormtroopers in 'Siege of Lothal' were noticeably more competent than many of their 'Rebel's counterparts.

Ah yes, you're right. Once again, it seems to be a case of a planet's status and how well it is trusted. I somehow forgot that Alderaan still has a PSF with corvettes (three of which Leia arranged to be 'stolen' in Rebels); but Alderaan is a wealthy and highly-respected Core world while Lothal is an Outer Rim backwater nobody cares about.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Juubi Karakuchi wrote:
amigocabal wrote:

Ah yes, you're right. Once again, it seems to be a case of a planet's status and how well it is trusted. I somehow forgot that Alderaan still has a PSF with corvettes (three of which Leia arranged to be 'stolen' in Rebels); but Alderaan is a wealthy and highly-respected Core world while Lothal is an Outer Rim backwater nobody cares about.
Also and this is important Lothal has a history of rebel activity, so there might not be a "police" force because the imperial HQ (either sectorial or overall) thinks that such a force would a liability. After all not even the empire is stupid enough to train a potential rebel force for shits and giggles.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n