Clone Wars- Did the Clone Army even occupy worlds?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Clone Wars- Did the Clone Army even occupy worlds?

Post by ray245 »

I was watching the 2nd Battle of Geonosis recently, and it seems that the Republic simply do not understand the need to occupy worlds. They literally left an entire Separatist planet to themselves after defeating them.

Is there any reason why would the Jedi not want to occupy any worlds? The Separatist certainly understood the concept of occupation, so why were the Jedi so utterly retarded?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Clone Wars- Did the Clone Army even occupy worlds?

Post by Knife »

I don't recall, where the droid foundries destroyed? It's possible they did an island hopping campaign where they thought all strategic assets were gone and the planet itself wasn't worth much.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Knife wrote:I don't recall, where the droid foundries destroyed? It's possible they did an island hopping campaign where they thought all strategic assets were gone and the planet itself wasn't worth much.
Now, as far as I know, the three million clones for a whole galaxy bullshit is non-canon (and good riddance), but it is stated in the canon Clone Wars series, as I recall, that the separatists heavily outnumbered the clones. It may be that they simply did not have the manpower to occupy all the worlds they took.

It is also, of course, possible for an inadequately defended world that's been occupied to successfully revolt or be recaptured. Particularly the latter in a galaxy where hyperdrive may render the notion of a "front line" largely meaningless. You simply can't garrison every system in the galaxy with more than a token presence.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Also, something in another thread just reminded me that the Empire genocided the Geonosians after the Clone Wars. Which is horrific, but in a very ruthless sense I can see that the argument might have been "We can't afford to garrison everywhere, so if we know somewhere is likely to be a problem in the future, just glass it."
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I'm pretty sure in the episodes on Geonosis they do mention that the Geonosians managed to throw off the occupying force.

During the brain worm zombie episodes Rex says something to the effect of "so thats how they threw us off planet"
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Also, something in another thread just reminded me that the Empire genocided the Geonosians after the Clone Wars. Which is horrific, but in a very ruthless sense I can see that the argument might have been "We can't afford to garrison everywhere, so if we know somewhere is likely to be a problem in the future, just glass it."
The Empire genocided the Geonosians because they helped build the Death Star.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

To answer your question, yes they did. We clearly saw a Republic garrison on Coruscant, as well as strategically important worlds like Kamino. Loyal systems were generally left to their own, in which they relied on their own local forces and only received support in the event of a CIS attack, as occurred on Kashyyk. I am not sure if this is in current canon, but at least one of the Jedi killed during Order 66 was on occupation duty from what I remember.

They certainly didn't just abandon strategically valuable CIS worlds after defeating them. Geonosis successfully rebelled at least partially thanks to Geonosian brain worms, which gave them a significant edge over clone units that were entirely unprepared for this tactic. Not ideal from a story standpoint, but this is evidently what happened.

The CIS was also able to occupy worlds as easily as they did because they used expendable droids. The Republic's reliance upon an elite but small force of clones and Jedi do not have this option to the same degree, even if they tended to win battles through tactical superiority.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

On CIS-invaded non-CIS Republic worlds... if the hostiles are enemy droids oppressing the locals and if these droids are blown up or kicked off the planet, then the super-fast forces of the Republic in their hyperdrive-zipping fleets don't really have to occupy the now-invaderless-planet presuming the locals are non-hostile. Something like Muunilist would probably need massive occupation and de-education!
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

You'd figure they'd want to arm a local militia so that 1 droid transport can't reconquer the planet literally 20 minutes later. Clones are a pretty finite resource unless '1 unit' = 1 moon sized carpet of clone troops.

On the other hand a big disincentive exists to arming the locals too much, mainly the Space Islamic State risk of the locals having little training or leadership simply being smashed and scattered by a surprise attack and loosing all their heavy equipment intact to the droids, which amusingly don't have infinite courage but are infinitely suicidal That's where the droids being humanoid and designed to use human style weapons makes lots of sense, they directly use the captured armaments. And even open door knobs, an advanced tactical feature something many sci fi war robots are rather lacking.

And this totally happens even in peer vs peer military battles; just not on such a complete sweep level of fail. One of the earliest battles with either the King Tiger or the Panther, details escape me at the second but I think it was not the infamous haystack ambush of the first King Tigers ever (several were captured in that action anyway), turned into Soviet infantry capturing one of the stuck Nazi superwaffen and immediately destroying several other Nazi tanks before the Germans realized it had happened.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Besides, arming local militia isn't going to work on a world where the local population is mostly loyal to the separatists. Like Geonosis.

We do see the GAR fighting alongside local forces, at Naboo and Ryloth, for example, in The Clone Wars, and on Kashyk in the films. Yet very clearly, those forces aren't always enough to hold a determined assault. Take Kashyk- they had to be reinforced with Clone troops and Jedi, because apparently Wookie militia isn't up to holding off a droid assault.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Sea Skimmer wrote:You'd figure they'd want to arm a local militia so that 1 droid transport can't reconquer the planet literally 20 minutes later. Clones are a pretty finite resource unless '1 unit' = 1 moon sized carpet of clone troops.
The locals might not care what the FATCAT CORUSCANTIS are spending. If so much as ONE droideka makes planetfall, all five hundred million civilian citizens of Planet XYZ are totally gonna hightail it to the Super Bunkers and radio the Clones for backup cause screw it if REAL PEOPLE end up being REAL DEAD shooting at these droids mang when the FATCAT CORUSCANTIS have their suddenly-appearing-super armies. And if the FATCAT CORUSCANTIS don't do that, then those five hundred million civilian citizens are probably gonna think that Nute Gunray's a better person and cast their lots with him.

:mrgreen:
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!