Are there consumer lightsabres?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Are there consumer lightsabres?

Post by Gandalf »

The lightsabre is an inherently cool thing. Presumably in the SW galaxy, at least some people must agree.

But this leads me to one question; If one is a consumer in the Republic, is it possible to acquire a lightsabre of one's own?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Are there consumer lightsabres?

Post by Galvatron »

Per Catalyst, it seems that kyber crystals are "protected" by the Jedi to prevent them from being misused and/or weaponized. Since all lightsabers contain kyber crystals in the new canon, I'd say they're awfully difficult to obtain without killing a Jedi.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

From the article, it's implied that crystals aren't all kept in one place, and aren't always in the hands of the Jedi. Could there perhaps be black market lightsabres?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Can muggles even build lightsabers?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Technically yes (since droids can do it) but the question is if the plans for how to make a lightsabre are avaible to people outside Jedi Order.

EDIT:also Lightsabres aren't that practical to non-jedi/sith as you can't really effectively deflect blaster bolts without the Force.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Pre Vizsla was handy enough with the darksaber to challenge Obi-Wan and Sabine seems to find it useful as well. Is that just because they're Mandalorians? :P
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Galvatron wrote:Can muggles even build lightsabers?
That would be a nice touch, something in the khyber that would require Force sensitivity to align with the emitters perfectly... that Krennic had to replicate with, like, AT-AT-sized Star Wars supercomputers running on space-tape! Hypernetic tapes!
Lord Revan wrote:Technically yes (since droids can do it) but the question is if the plans for how to make a lightsabre are avaible to people outside Jedi Order.
Since when did droids do it?

I wonder if people even know khyber crystals are used for sabers?

Was it even mentioned explicitly in Rogue One that these plot-relevant crystals are in fact specifically Jedi lightsaber crystals?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

true but Pre Vizla wasn't facing squads people who automatic blasters and yeah it's kind of because "they're mandalorians" since the darksaber is seen as a symbol by the Mandalorians
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Technically yes (since droids can do it) but the question is if the plans for how to make a lightsabre are avaible to people outside Jedi Order.
There was Jedi owned droid voiced by David Tennant who helped jedi padawans construct their lightsaber and so he had to be able to construct a saber himself to know how one is made.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

...but but but...

Were those ACTUAL fully fledged lightsabers and not prop-training sabers?

I thought padawans really made their sabers by going to the khyber-crystal-planet and doing some khyber-crystal-rituals?

Anyway... was it even mentioned explicitly in Rogue One that these plot-relevant crystals are in fact specifically Jedi lightsaber crystals?
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:I wonder if people even know khyber crystals are used for sabers?

Was it even mentioned explicitly in Rogue One that these plot-relevant crystals are in fact specifically Jedi lightsaber crystals?
I don't recall if it was stated outright in Rogue One, but it definitely was in Catalyst and appears to be common knowledge. Here are some excerpts from that book with potential spoilers...

Relatively rare, the so-called living crystals were almost exclusively the property of the Jedi, who seemed to regard the kyber as sacrosanct. Finger-sized ones powered their lightsabers, and larger ones were rumored to adorn the ornate façades of their isolated temples.

Amedda wet his lips.

“These kyber crystals are important to the Jedi?”

“Among other uses, the crystals power their lightsabers.”

“Well, no wonder then. The exclusivity must frustrate this Galen Erso to no end.”

“That’s exactly why he has been attempting to synthesize them.”

Amedda’s ice-blue eyes widened. “That seems a bold enterprise. I have heard the kyber described as a living crystal.”

“I’ve heard the same.”

He reached for the finger-sized kyber he had taken to carrying with him wherever he went. Each of the crystals was as unique as a snowflake or a human iris. It warmed as he curled his hand around it, but he knew from previous research that the crystal would show no change in temperature; and he knew also that it would not warm a sheath or a towel or any inanimate object. It responded only to life, even plant life. Which made the Jedi’s use of it to power their lightsabers all the more ironic and mysterious.

If the answers lurked somewhere in the former Temple archives, they had yet to be discovered, and probably never would be since many of the secrets of lightsaber construction had been passed down through oral tradition. Perhaps the answers resided in one of the Jedi Holocrons, but he had not been granted access to those.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

How about the profound melancholic Mads Mikkelsen dialogues? I can't remember, he was being such Sad Dad Wise Stuff all the time.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Perhaps you should see the movie again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:...but but but...

Were those ACTUAL fully fledged lightsabers and not prop-training sabers?

I thought padawans really made their sabers by going to the khyber-crystal-planet and doing some khyber-crystal-rituals?
the khyber ritual was to find the crystal, the saber itself was constructed under the instructions of the droid.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

In the new EU? I'm not sure. The Mandalorians have a sort of Excalibur relationship with one at least.

In the old EU? There were civilian dueling clubs with the things
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Galvatron wrote:Perhaps you should see the movie again.
This is perhaps your only agreeable post. :D

Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Shroom Man 777 wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Perhaps you should see the movie again.
This is perhaps your only agreeable post. :D
I have many agreeable posts. Especially the ones regarding mothballs.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I find it difficult to believe that the basic technology hasn't been studied in a civilian or military context outside of the Jedi. Presumably the use of the specific crystal and how the Jedi uses the Force to bond it with the lightsaber is the only really esoteric part, though there's a gentle implication in the Ahsoka book that the Force guides one's selection of the necessary pieces...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Shroom, yeah it was stated, Chirrwe (or however it's spelt) asks Jyn when they first meet what she knows about Kyber crystals. She said "My father told me they powered the Jedi's lightsabers."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It's Chirrut Imwe, as for lightsaber construction from what I've read it's implied that even finding Khyber crystals with someone who is Force aware is next to impossible and they are a rather important part of a lightsaber.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Lord Revan wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:
There was Jedi owned droid voiced by David Tennant who helped jedi padawans construct their lightsaber and so he had to be able to construct a saber himself to know how one is made.
That does not look like a safe assumption to me - the droid knows how it is done, but that does not prove he has the ability to do it himself.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Shroom, yeah it was stated, Chirrwe (or however it's spelt) asks Jyn when they first meet what she knows about Kyber crystals. She said "My father told me they powered the Jedi's lightsabers."
Ah thanks. My inability to remember the lines, especially lines that don't sound like "SAVE THE REBELLION SAVE THE DREAM" *sirens* makes me second-guess myself...
Lord Revan wrote:It's Chirrut Imwe, as for lightsaber construction from what I've read it's implied that even finding Khyber crystals with someone who is Force aware is next to impossible and they are a rather important part of a lightsaber.
How did the Empire get the crystals from Jedha? Did the temple have vaults? Was the temple over a pit leading to a khyber vein, which prospective Jedi had to dowse through, which the Empire used machines to just brute-force mass-extract in some epic mining operation (Dark Side Sith alchemical techniques notwithstanding, imagine some Palpatine-designed Feng Shui diviner-device to help Krennic find the crystals they so needed... some device they might not even know the origins of... or perhaps some Inquisitor especially trained to divine such, or some captive Jedi forced to do so, helping with the khyber extraction? Possible BACKSTORY hooks here...)?
AMX wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
Shroom Man 777 wrote:

That does not look like a safe assumption to me - the droid knows how it is done, but that does not prove he has the ability to do it himself.
Did the droid help just by memorizing instructions and repeating "MEDITATE! ME-DI-TAAAATE!" ala Doctor Who Daleks to help students, or did the droid actually DO it by itself?
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

For the droid he clearly knew enough to instruct that one the Padawans had constructed the saber incorrectly and it would blow up if turned on (which later used to take out some of Hondo's pirates in the episode).

And for the khyber crystals the way I understood it was that it's nearly impossible to find ones "in the wild" so to speak so the empire was force to raid temples and what not for crystal that had already been found rather then just mining the stuff.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

On the other-other hand, knowing something's been done wrong doesn't mean one knows how to do it right. Like, he might be able to see a wrongly aligned thing... but that doesn't mean he'd have the intuition to position it himself. And the mistake he spotted might not be in the khyber placement, in the special Force-sensitives-can-only-do-it aspects, but in the other more mundane aspects of saber construction?

I haven't seen this though.
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:For the droid he clearly knew enough to instruct that one the Padawans had constructed the saber incorrectly and it would blow up if turned on (which later used to take out some of Hondo's pirates in the episode).

And for the khyber crystals the way I understood it was that it's nearly impossible to find ones "in the wild" so to speak so the empire was force to raid temples and what not for crystal that had already been found rather then just mining the stuff.
Spoiler for the Ahsoka novel:

Ahsoka visits Ilum late in the book, and the Empire has basically strip-mined the planet. Of course, Ilum is one of the only places (if not THE only place) where the crystals *can* be found in the wild, so...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.