That combat remote/training droid sphere in ANH

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

That combat remote/training droid sphere in ANH

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

That thing Luke practiced with. Was that something Obi-Wan brought with him, or was that something Han Solo just had lying around in the Falcon?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: That combat remote/training droid sphere in ANH

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't honestly know, but probably Obi-wans. We see similar droids being used to train Jedi younglings, don't we? And Kenobi would have needed some way to keep up his skills during those years in exile, unless he was going out and picking fights with Tusken Raiders or something. :D
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Legends indicates that it was something that gunslingers often used as well, as a means to test their reaction time and accuracy. Though Han's disdainful comments indicate that it wasn't his, that is likely just bluster after seeing the impossible. If Obi-Wan had used on during his exile, why where his skills not sharper against Vader?

Though Rebels might given another explanation for this as well.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Kenobi had been living in the wilderness for the most part for decades, he was getting old, and a training droid shooting blaster bolts is a poor substitute for sparring against a Force-using opponent with a light sabre.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't honestly know, but probably Obi-wans. We see similar droids being used to train Jedi younglings, don't we? And Kenobi would have needed some way to keep up his skills during those years in exile, unless he was going out and picking fights with Tusken Raiders or something. :D
Why fight Tusken Raiders when weirdly ambling about and making freaky as fuck noises can scare em away.

No seriously, in ANH... where did they pick up that remote?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Classic explanation was that it was Han's and he used to fool around with it as a moving blaster target, IIRC.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I suppose that works well enough, but from just seeing the films, without the context of the EU, the simplest, most obvious explanation would be that it was something Obi-wan had with him for light sabre training, rather than them just being lucky that Han had one on board.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I always assumed it belonged to Han and that it served some practical purpose for him on board the Falcon. Perhaps it functioned as the ship's "watchdog" whenever Han and Chewie left the Falcon unattended.