Shadows of the Empire or The Force Unleashed?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Which multimedia project do you like best?

Shadows of the Empire
68%
The Force Unleashed
32%

Total votes: 19

Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Shadows of the Empire or The Force Unleashed?

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

Which of the two multimedia projects dealing with events that happened around the time of the original trilogy do you favor? Why?

I prefer Shadows, because it retains the classic feel more, but also the direction it explored (bounty hunters and organized crime) was preferable to yet another iteration of secret Jedi/Dark Jedi and a retelling of the Death Star plans. Also thematically while SotE had some duds and cringe-worthy elements, I can't get past at how jarring all of TFU feels to me, from how much they retcon the origins of the Rebellion to dual light-tonfas. Having yet another Corellian rogue is at least less wanky than a secret apprentice.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Shadows of the Empire or The Force Unleashed?

Post by Joun_Lord »

Definitely Shadows was better. TFU had good ideas such as Vader's secret apprentice, playing as an Imperial, and the founding of the Rebellion but fucked it all up. The gameplay was little better with its shitty clone of God of War fighting mechanics and lightbats. Galen Marek or Starkiller or whatever his name was was completely uninteresting. Can't even blame it on the actor, I've seen the actor in other shit and he ain't bad (save maybe the episode of Dark Angel where he plays a vampire though that might have been more on the script). None of the other characters were likable, midriff baring Imperial pilot chick annoyed me, midriff baring tonfa chick annoyed me, and the Jedi General who surprisingly didn't have a bared midriff annoyed me. I can't think of anything really redeeming about the finished project.

Shadows was enjoyable storywise even if it was about some Han Solo clone. I enjoyed the book that went along with it. Dash might have been a Han clone but he was a good Han clone, actually had the likability of Han. Gameplay it was nothing special but was still fun, had enough variation in gameplay to make it never get boring.

Not on the list but I would have voted for Dark Force for the best multimedia project. Enjoyed all the games in the series and the books were pretty excellent too.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Joun_Lord wrote:Not on the list but I would have voted for Dark Force for the best multimedia project. Enjoyed all the games in the series and the books were pretty excellent too.
You didn't object to all that running around and killing stormtroopers?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Galvatron wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:Not on the list but I would have voted for Dark Force for the best multimedia project. Enjoyed all the games in the series and the books were pretty excellent too.
You didn't object to all that running around and killing stormtroopers?
Of course, thats why I just always stood there and waited for them to arrest me! Strangely they never did, clearly a bug in the game that they never patched.

No but seriously, even if I sympathize with the average Joe stormtrooper doing his 9 to 5 so he can buy his kids iHolotablets and My Little Tauntans if one is shooting at me I'm going to shoot back. Even in game Kyle Katarn as a former stormtrooper himself he probably sympathizes with the dudes he's blasting, doesn't stop him from doing it to complete his mission and to protect his own life.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I never played Shadows. I liked Juno Eclipse (She has an interesting backstory and they tied her in with Akbar in a way that was interesting. Basically Seggor Tels (the guy who betrayed the planet to the empire only to be betrayed himself) realized what a tool he'd been and tried to make amends with Akbar. Akbar was able to forgive him because of Juno; Juno had committed a crime FAR worse than Tels when she helped destroy Callos. Akbar realizes that if he can forgive her he can at least try to give Tels a shot.) That was well done, and I think that it could have been better handled.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

TFU would have been better if they'd dialed back the wankery. If Galen Marek had simply been a rogue Inquisitor who turned against Vader and threw his lot in with the rebellion, it could still fit in the current canon. I dug Rahm Kota too.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:TFU would have been better if they'd dialed back the wankery. If Galen Marek had simply been a rogue Inquisitor who turned against Vader and threw his lot in with the rebellion, it could still fit in the current canon. I dug Rahm Kota too.
For me there's 2 main issues with TFU first is Galen Marek's power level aka he's way too powerful relative to other characters and other is Galen Marek's importance to the whole saga aka he's depicted as way too important to the whole saga to not have been mentioned outside of TFU. If those factors were dialed down so that he just a rogue imperial force user turned rebel agent kind of like Kyle Katarnn but was a force user even during his time in the imperial service, it wouldn't so bad.

Rahm Kota made a lot of sense as character which is why he was one the best parts of TFU storywise, a Jedi master who had lost his faith after the fall of the order but still was anti-imperial would make sense.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Would you be opposed to a new story about the Jedi-Sith War in which Revan is one of the main characters? Maybe he was the original owner of Kylo Ren's mask and lightsaber. :)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Galvatron wrote:Would you be opposed to a new story about the Jedi-Sith War in which Revan is one of the main characters? Maybe he was the original owner of Kylo Ren's mask and lightsaber. :)
I wouldn't be opposed to brining Revan back to canon on princible, though I'd prefer if he was the inpiration for Kylon Ren's look rather them him actually wearing items that belonged to Revan. Seriously it might be nice have it so that Revan was this ancient figure who was critical about the philosophy of the Jedi Order without actually being against Jedi (you can even keep the fallen Jedi turned Sith turned redeemed Sith angle from the old EU) and have Kylon Ren (or just knights of Ren in general) pick up the "be critical of the philosophy of the Jedi Order" part and look from Revan without understanding that for all his philosophical disargreements with the Jedi Order Revan was ultimately a Lightsider.

What would you honestly think about something like that?
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I think any story like that has the potential for greatness. Disney could make billions off a trilogy about the Jedi-Sith War.

Would you have any objection to Lord Vitiate and the other Bioware Sith Lords being involved too?

Depending on how their origins pan out, they could even throw Snoke and Maz Kanata in as well. :)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I can't think of any Legendaries character I hate on princible, even some of the poorer ones like Amd. Daala have potential if done right. Problem with a lot of legendaries works is that they tried to hide poor character work with "pretty light" something that doesn't work as well in non-visual media.

Key word here being "if done right".

Lets take Daala for example in new EU they could focus on her age rather then gender since there's enough high ranking female officers that it's not special in and of itself, but in most pictures I've seen Daala has been depicted looking like she's in her late 20s or early 30s which would make her young for her rank even if she's just a "1-star" admiral. Other things I'd change would make her actually be talented if inexperienced in command rather saying that she is amazingly talented but having her fail (badly) everytime she's "on-screen", also I'd have the affair with Tarkin be an uncomfirmed rumor rather then being comfirmed one way or another, to have friction with other imperial officers.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

To elaborate on what Revan said, it would be nice if not every female character got sex-bombed by SW writers and especially comic book artists, but it really seems like every single one was.

And it won't be long until the "new EU" makes the very same mistakes. Again.

As for the OP, Shadows of the Empire was a better project.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I admit that SOTE was a bigger deal simply because the EU was still relatively fresh at the time and the prequels hadn't tarnished the brand yet.