Rogue One (Spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Rogue One (Spoilers)

Post by Knife »

Don't really like any of the micro machines of the PT.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eh, I'm rather fond of Super Battle Droids myself.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Knife wrote:Don't really like any of the micro machines of the PT.
Me neither, but if given the choice I'll take the Aethersprite over the Actis any day. To be honest, my favorite prequel-era fighter is the one we didn't even get to see in the films: the V-19 Torrent. It's the one that looks most like something out of the OT.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Galvatron wrote:
Knife wrote:Don't really like any of the micro machines of the PT.
Me neither, but if given the choice I'll take the Aethersprite over the Actis any day. To be honest, my favorite prequel-era fighter is the one we didn't even get to see in the films: the V-19 Torrent. It's the one that looks most like something out of the OT.
They look neat but just seem so dang complicated to land with all the wings going elsewhere. I like the V wing myself, though the ARC 170 is pretty nifty. Though if you want to bring in TCW cartoon, what they did with the OT's Y wing was marvelous.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Alpha-3_ ... tarfighter
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/BTL-B_Y-wing_starfighter
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

It would have been interesting to see all those vintage Clone Wars-era fighters in use by the Rebel Alliance at the Battle of Endor.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I don't know why the Republic wasn't just flying Y-wings and primitive TIEs over Coruscant. It would have solved that problem the other way around. It would have also been interesting in that it would have shown how much the Republic was beginning to become the Empire.

Though one of the ILM guys was originally going to model TIE fighters for the finale and told by Lucas that the Empire would have plenty of time to build them between movies, so that seems to be the current idea.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I kinda wish the alphabet-wing fighters had been used by the CIS instead.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Personally it makes more sense for the rebellion to use outdated Republic or early imperial craft then for them to use CIS tech as I suspect that the Empire destroyed most of CIS hardware apart from those they couldn't find (like the battledroids in Rebels) or repurposed to act as mobile turrets to protect imperial bases.

where as I think republic or early imperial hardware would have been passed on to local security forces or put on mothballs, making it easier for those to fall into the hands of rebellion either thru defections or raids.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

From a design perspective though it's a bit odd. The Empire replaces the Republic, right? So why do its fighters bear a distinct resemblance to the droid-fighters of the CIS, while the opponents of the Empire use the former Republic designs? Would it not have made more sense for the Empire to continue using variations of those original Republic designs?

I know, I know... arguably they adapt the Jedi fighter from ROTS, the V-wings, etc, into the TIEs over time... but only about twenty years or a little less elapsed there. The F-22 doesn't look *very* different from the F-16 or 15, and there's about the same gap in time between the two IIRC.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

true but then a MIG doesn't look that different from a F-15 or F-16.

In case of the empire it could be a way to distance themselves from the corrupt and decedent republic or it could simply be that Sienar Fleet Systems always made star fighters that looked like the TIEs and they made a better offer then Incom or other companies that made the fighters the rebels used. IIRC all TIEs were made by the same company Sienar Fleet Systems while the rebel fighters were made by several different companies.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The big restriction on the shape of fighter aircraft in real life is aerodynamics. There are only so many ways a supersonic jet can be shaped if it's not going to rip itself apart.

With spacecraft, as long as the frame of the spacecraft is sturdy enough that no pieces fall off when you fire the engines, it really doesn't matter very much how you shape it. X-Wing, Y-Wing, A-Wing, B-Wing, M-Wing, E-Wing, Q-Wing, Z-Wing, it really doesn't make a difference, and you're much more free to experiment as necessary.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe beyond "Republic/CIS-like aesthetics" the roles and tech requirements and realities behind the roles determined the shift in the Empire's ship designs... and why the Rebels inherited Republic-like designs (aside from scavenging second-hand post-Clone Wars gear).

The Rebels required long range FTL-capable transgalactic strike platforms, so they inherited the Republic quick reaction force-type vessels, the ARC-170 descendants.

The Imperials owned the entire galaxy so it had presence everywhere and FTL-capable ISDs serving as both the mothership and QRF for the TIEs... so TIEs don't need much autonomy since they're operating with ISDs all the time, and too much pilot independence and autonomy isn't really desired or needed, nobody wants defecting pilots. Which has parallels to the Seperatist's droid fighters, those are mostly incapable of FTL and mostly operate from motherships or bases.

I guess the Imperials' sheer mass production meant that they probably didn't bother with atmosphere-optimized/aerodynamic designs. The Seperatists also had some reason to not bother with atmosphere-optimized/aerodynamic designs.

Yes, this is backwards rationalization.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Elheru Aran wrote:From a design perspective though it's a bit odd. The Empire replaces the Republic, right? So why do its fighters bear a distinct resemblance to the droid-fighters of the CIS, while the opponents of the Empire use the former Republic designs? Would it not have made more sense for the Empire to continue using variations of those original Republic designs?
Depends which fighter designs are cheaper to produce.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Because the winners of the Clone Wars were the companies, not necessarily the CEO's, but the companies. The intro to ANH was pretty implicit in this, the military industrial complex and boot lickers did well in the Empire.

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Ok folks, we're out of movie, out of Spoilers, and just talking ships now. Ship talk really needs it's own thread, so someone start one. Thread Locked
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet