Rogue One (Spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Rogue One (Spoilers)

Post by Galvatron »

NeoGoomba wrote:Dash Rendar will always just be a 90's Cable without 80 guns slung about him.
I'd love to see a picture of Dash Rendar drawn by Rob Liefeld.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Cykeisme wrote:Aren't they speaking some unfathomable language called Galactic Basic too, and not English?
Sort of how in The Hunt for Red October, Captain Ramius is supposed to really be speaking Russian, but we the audience hear it as Scottish-accented English?
Yeah, though I think it got a different name then basic in later legends canon, and Lucas was always a bit pissed supposedly, that they made him put "tractor beam' in English letters in the scene where Obi Wan powers it down in case the audience forgot his task. I believe this was edited out in the Special Edition.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Khaat wrote: But as to blasters, while we don't know for sure, there is the implication that something ignites/heats the plasma-to-be, may as well be a laser. Or have been a laser. Whatever.
That makes sense - the initial spark or whatever to get it reacting could well be a laser beam, like the flint in a lighter or something.
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

You see a red laser start as a nucleus in the terribly-not-safe-due-to-lack-of-railing tunnel the super laser starts with. I take that to be one of the multiple focusing beams of the DS1 since the DS2 had the super laser use the central emitter.

The beam itself is clearly not abnormal laser since you can freeze frame on the beam just prior to hitting Jedha in the Japanese trailer.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Yeah, though I think it got a different name then basic in later legends canon, and Lucas was always a bit pissed supposedly, that they made him put "tractor beam' in English letters in the scene where Obi Wan powers it down in case the audience forgot his task. I believe this was edited out in the Special Edition.
I think the cartoon from the Star Wars Holiday Special might have actually been the first appearance of what became Aurebesh. This is for Elfdart:

GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

As far as I can remember, the word laser only appears once in the entire series of films - "They're so small they're evading our turbolasers".

They call them blasters everywhere else.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Do "laser sword" and "laser brain" count?

Or how about when Han said: "That was no laser blast! Something hit us."
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

NeoGoomba wrote:Dash Rendar will always just be a 90's Cable without 80 guns slung about him.

Okay, so Death Star question: When we see the one-reactor shots kicking up seemingly an entire continent of crust, does that mean the Death Star's superlaser really is just a huge, kinetic, brute force kinda thing? If it was an actual laser, wouldn't its effects have no kinetic effects, just a hell of a lot of fire/boiling/melting?
I suspect that if the beam is narrow enough, or if it initially starts out relatively 'weak' and then intensifies after a second or two... I suspect it can burn a track down into the mantle and then release most of the energy deep inside the planet, creating (momentarily) an underground camouflet.

That way, you get a massive underground explosion that throws huge masses of rock up into the air, at least vaguely like what we saw on Jedha.

If you fire into the ocean, you probably get a similar effect- but the effect may be less visible because of the huge amounts of superheated steam, plus the air itself being converted into extremely bright plasma that resembles a nuclear fireball. There might still be a lot of rock getting thrown up from the blast, you just wouldn't see it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

NeoGoomba wrote: Okay, so Death Star question: When we see the one-reactor shots kicking up seemingly an entire continent of crust, does that mean the Death Star's superlaser really is just a huge, kinetic, brute force kinda thing? If it was an actual laser, wouldn't its effects have no kinetic effects, just a hell of a lot of fire/boiling/melting?
Fortunately Mike wrote a page for the main site about this very topic

http://stardestroyer.net/Resources/Scie ... sives.html
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Pablo & Co. talking about various details:

Explaining, amongs others, what was Tantive doing over Scarif, why was Mustafar not labeled and what's up with the exhaust port.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Probably the part thats of no surprise but is interesting nonetheless is Pablo talking about the Death Star 1 and 2 at the end. It didn't take 20 years to build the Death Star, just 20 years to get the Superlaser working, once that was done they could easily build the second Death Star because they already knew how to build the laser.
darthscott
Youngling

Post by darthscott »

I enjoyed the movie a lot, and the Death Star background story is much better now IMO. It took so long because it was difficult to get the superlaser working, makes so much more sense than resource or labor shortages. Though I wonder how big the Death Star II is now since the original is back at 160 km again. I also did enjoy the fact planetary shields did not stop the Death Star, and that the first test firing on Jedha could be passed off as a mining disaster. If that was a mining disaster I wish we could see what "conventional" Imperial grade weaponry can do one day.

I was a little disappointed in the performance of the two ISD's over Scarif, wish there would have been some more capital ship action. One thing I was wondering though is when the two ISD'ds over Scarif collide, I would have thought the shields on the operational Star Destroyer would helped. Don't know if the novelization shed anymore light on that, and I know Star Wars shield have been a bit inconsistent over the years anyway.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

darthscott wrote:Though I wonder how big the Death Star II is now since the original is back at 160 km again.
Lucasfilm has gone back and forth with the DS size, but while the 160 km size for the first has been re-established, there have been no official word on the size of the second (except for the "over 160 km" blurb in the recent Complete Locations book). Based on the (quite frankly ridiculous) "that was the Death Star, this is the Starkiller"-scene in TFA, I guess it may up in the same size range, though it was intended to be much bigger of course.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I really don't see the point in making the DS2 significantly larger than the original now.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

Galvatron wrote:I really don't see the point in making the DS2 significantly larger than the original now.
You don't want to win a 20 year old internet feud?
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Galvatron wrote:I really don't see the point in making the DS2 significantly larger than the original now.
Well aside from the fact that the ROTJ title crawls states the DS2 is larger and more powerful. Maybe making it bigger was a necessity for it to do its job with conventional materials after the kyber crystals blew up with the DS1.
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Kyber crystals are rare, but Jedha wasn't their only source and the Jedi were no longer around to prevent the Empire from obtaining more.

And I can accept that the DS2 is larger and more powerful, but 900km? I don't see the point.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

one possibility is that being that big is what's needed to power the superlaser without the kyber crystals, or just with inferior quality crystals, if DS1 had their full supply of "high quality" crystals DS2 could explained by needing more crystals or a bigger reactor to get the same superlaser energy per shot.

Or the size DS2 was only way they solve the "exploding main reactor" flaw Galen Erso introduced into DS1. They did loose their engineering team including the only person who knew about the flaw as we as DS1 so there isn't much to guess what went wrong.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Insanity
Padawan Learner

Post by Lord Insanity »

Galvatron wrote:Kyber crystals are rare, but Jedha wasn't their only source and the Jedi were no longer around to prevent the Empire from obtaining more.
I could be wrong but the impression I got from Rogue One is that the Empire was mining Kyber crystals all over the galaxy not just Jedha. Either way I was referring to the fact that the Death Star itself blew up losing all the crystals in it.
Lord Revan wrote:one possibility is that being that big is what's needed to power the superlaser without the kyber crystals, or just with inferior quality crystals, if DS1 had their full supply of "high quality" crystals DS2 could explained by needing more crystals or a bigger reactor to get the same superlaser energy per shot.
That is exactly what I was suggesting. It would be like modern day magically running out of circuit boards and needing to use vacuum tubes for a computer. (but without the speed limitations that would cause.)
-Lord Insanity

"A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men" -The Real Willy Wonka
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

The big differences between the DS1 and DS2 was the faster recharge time for the superlaser and the ability to fire at mobile targets such as starships.

As far as the latter, the DS1 in Rogue One does clearly have impressive accuracy assuming the Scarif shot was intentionally aimed at the transmitter, though the archive tower on Scarif is essentially stationary compared to space ship.

The former point, faster recharge, may well demand a larger reactor regardless of using kyber crystals as a power source. Of course without any exact references for how much faster the DS2 recharges we can't accurately estimate just how much larger that reactor may need to be.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Lord Insanity wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Kyber crystals are rare, but Jedha wasn't their only source and the Jedi were no longer around to prevent the Empire from obtaining more.
I could be wrong but the impression I got from Rogue One is that the Empire was mining Kyber crystals all over the galaxy not just Jedha.
It was, see Catalyst and Ahsoka.
Imperial528 wrote:The big differences between the DS1 and DS2 was the faster recharge time for the superlaser and the ability to fire at mobile targets such as starships.

As far as the latter, the DS1 in Rogue One does clearly have impressive accuracy assuming the Scarif shot was intentionally aimed at the transmitter, though the archive tower on Scarif is essentially stationary compared to space ship.
"Sir, shall I begin targeting their fleet?"
Imperial528 wrote:The former point, faster recharge, may well demand a larger reactor regardless of using kyber crystals as a power source. Of course without any exact references for how much faster the DS2 recharges we can't accurately estimate just how much larger that reactor may need to be.
IIRC in the Rogue One novel there is a corespondence between Tarkin and Krennic that states that the Emperor (or Tarkin) wanted the superlaser to be rapid firing, but it's unclear if they managed to pull that off.
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

A 100km+ spheroid of doom with heavy grade planetary shields AND festooned with turbolasers of all kinds would've murdered the Rebel fleet just as well as Vader's solo ISD.

Did we see other ISDs emerge with the Devastator?
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Since when does the DS1 have heavy grade planetary shields? Wouldn't they have prevented the rebel fighters from attacking during the Battle of Yavin?
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

And I can accept that the DS2 is larger and more powerful, but 900km? I don't see the point.
Perhaps Palpatine had a good relationship with the corporations which built the components, and sought to send some Imperial pork spending their way?

If he gives them some easy work and no-bid contracts, maybe they don't sell to others or something.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Galvatron wrote:Since when does the DS1 have heavy grade planetary shields? Wouldn't they have prevented the rebel fighters from attacking during the Battle of Yavin?
My bad. Right, those are permeable combat shields not planetary shields. Early morning rapid typing.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!