Worst of Star Wars Legends

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

What are the worst Star Wars Legends Books

1.) The Crystal Star
22%
2.) Legacy of the Force
13%
3.) Jedi Academy Trilogy
7%
4.) Callista Trilogy
5%
5.) Dark Nest Trilogy
7%
6.) Fate of the Jedi
2%
7.) New Jedi Order
15%
8.) Karen Traviss's Republic Commando series (excluding hard contact)
15%
9.) Black Fleet Trilogy
5%
10.) Other (please name)
9%

Total votes: 55

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Worst of Star Wars Legends

Post by Joun_Lord »

Captain Seafort wrote:When? The only targets he hit were Carida and Daala's fleet, both of which were part of the military forces of the Empire - a state at war with the New Republic. Kyp, as a Jedi, was answerable to the New Republic executive branch, as demonstrated by the precedent of the Clone Wars and the fact that Luke specifically sought and obtained the authorisation of the New Republic's senior leadership to establish his academy.
Kyp, even if the Jedi were answerable to the New Republic exec branch, was not a soldier in a war, he would be a civilian in a quasi-government agency. A member of the FBI or Secret Service can't go and shoot up ISIS members even if we were at war with them. There are rules of engagement and jurisdictional considerations preventing civilian law enforcement from being soldiers. Kyp wasn't even a full Jedi though, just a trainee. Any powers invested in the Jedi Order, which are debatable considering Luke's order may have had a different relationship with the government then the old Order, would not be invested in Kyp anymore then the powers of an FBI agent would be granted to some FBI academy trainee.

But even if Kyp did have the powers and responsibilities of a space cop slash soldier and could fight in the war against the Empire, even in war there are rules of engagement, chain of command, and lawful orders to follow. Kyp attacked a target on his own volition, attacked and injured his "commanding officer" Luke, stole government property, and attacked civilian and non-combatants in the process.

The last part in particular is damning. Daala's fleet was a legitimate military target......for a soldier.....with orders. Carida as a whole was not. Carida was not one big military academy, it had civilians. It had non-combatant enemy personnel even in the Academy parts.

So to reiterate, Kyp was at best a trainee cop who attacked military and civilian targets without orders and without jurisdiction. So he did some highly illegal shit.
Imperial Overlord
Emperor's Hand

Post by Imperial Overlord »

Galvatron wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:When? The only targets he hit were Carida and Daala's fleet, both of which were part of the military forces of the Empire - a state at war with the New Republic.
Exactly what I thought. Kyp may have been rogue combatant, but he only struck legitimate enemy targets. Thus, I can totally understand why he only received a gentle slap on the wrist.

Besides, wouldn't it have been a bit hypocritical for ex-rebels to render a harsh judgment upon him?
There's nothing hypocritical about the New Republic rendering harsh judgement on someone who decides to destroy a planet. If mass death on a planetary scale was acceptable because the planet was held by the enemy, then the destruction of Alderaan would not be a crime. And even if the New Republic was willing to engage in such behavior, the guy who just stole a weapon of mass destruction is a criminal, not government agent acting on legal orders from an authority with the power to authorize the destruction of a planet and its entire population.
The Excellent Prismatic Spray. For when you absolutely, positively must kill a motherfucker. Accept no substitutions. Contact a magician of the later Aeons for details. Some conditions may apply.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Joun_Lord wrote:
So to reiterate, Kyp was at best a trainee cop who attacked military and civilian targets without orders and without jurisdiction. So he did some highly illegal shit.
If you want to go that route, I don't think Kyp was, technically speaking, a citizen of the New Republic. His crimes were committed outside New Republic territory using a weapon that he (not the New Republic) stole from the Empire.

So really, not hard to see why the New Republic leadership would not consider making an example out of an Imperial criminal a high priority. As far as the Empire is concerned they're all just as bad, after all.
Galvatron wrote:Was it ever explained why Kyp Durron was more powerful than a fucking Skywalker?
Just a random mutant, near as I can tell.

Which isn't as dumb as people make it out to be. This was before the prequels and all that Chosen One virgin birth stuff. There's no particular reason why someone couldn't have more natural Force ability than Luke or Leia.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote:Was it ever explained why Kyp Durron was more powerful than a fucking Skywalker?
Author wank. That's really the only reason.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Ralin wrote:
Just a random mutant, near as I can tell.

Which isn't as dumb as people make it out to be. This was before the prequels and all that Chosen One virgin birth stuff. There's no particular reason why someone couldn't have more natural Force ability than Luke or Leia.
I meant after the prequels were released and before Kyp Durron was decanonized. Did the LFL Story Group not attempt a retcon of some sort?
Solauren
Emperor's Hand

Post by Solauren »

in NJO, luke was tossing around the Dovin Basal black holes, and when kyp tried it, he found out the hard way Luke was WAY more powerful them him, but restrained.

Kyp passed out from the strain of trying to keep up with Luke.
I've been asked why I still follow a few of the people I know on Facebook with 'interesting political habits and view points'.

It's so when they comment on or approve of something, I know what pages to block/what not to vote for.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Pretty sure you have that backwards. Luke did it to a coral skipper or something and Kyp did it to an indictor cruiser in Rebel Dream. Allston had Kyp think he's stronger that Luke but most times it didnt matter.

Aleays wondered if that had been established elsewhere or was just supposed to be in Kyp's head.

Eta: Luke's kind of a pansy at least early on. Stackpole has him get winded just fighting a few vong but then he was carrying on Zahns thing from hand of thrawn were overt action with the force cuts you off from the knowledge sidebof things. And he was trying to reconcile big feats in the Eu vs the OT which was lower key. (Yoda barely lifting an XWing fo example)
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Yeah, been a long time since I read the NJO but I think the basic dynamic they settled on was that Kyp was naturally more powerful than Luke but that for most practical purposes skill mattered a lot more. And Luke was always vastly more skilled than Kyp was. It was the Force equivalent of a pro wrestler being able to bench press more than Chuck Norris.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Ralin wrote:If you want to go that route, I don't think Kyp was, technically speaking, a citizen of the New Republic. His crimes were committed outside New Republic territory using a weapon that he (not the New Republic) stole from the Empire.

So really, not hard to see why the New Republic leadership would not consider making an example out of an Imperial criminal a high priority. As far as the Empire is concerned they're all just as bad, after all.
I'm not sure if he was a citizen of the NR, I don\t recall if they touched on that or not. Presumably he was or else he probably couldn't join the academy. Anyway, his crimes were indeed committed outside NR territory but using a weapon that the NR had impounded. He might have stolen it originally but he carried it into NR space where they were legally allowed to claim it presumably for being enemy property and definitely for being a WMD.

Now while he did commit his crimes outside Republic territory he still committed them, a fair and just government might not hand him over to a unfair and unjust government that they are at war with but might try him for crimes committed just because it would be the right thing to do. Though my reading of our own international law says by those rules they would not be obligated to do so, some countries have things like Alien Tort Laws allowing people from other countries to seek redress but that is not universal. It seems to be asking for extradition and thats about it. Though further reading seems to say that for some countries the laws of a home country still apply to citizens abroad. Say for instances an American goes and smokes dope in Amsterdam, while its legal there what he is doing is illegal under US law and could be prosecuted. It also says many countries have put in place laws which allow their citzens to be prosecuted by their own courts for crimes such as war crimes and genocide even when the crime is committed extra-territorially. That seems to cover Kyp's crime.

But anyway I would think the NR, the supposed good guys, the people who fought a war against a group blowing up planets would be down with prosecuting someone who pulled a Tarkin.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

In fairness Kyp has a "never live it down" after that. Everyone comments pin it and he still tries to atone.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Which brings us back to the question of what else to do with Kyp other than execute him. What they did left him under the authority of probably the most qualified person to rehabilitate and keep him from going nuts again anyway. Not like having to join monastic order dedicated to public service is the same as skipping off to tour the sabbac tables.
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Joun_Lord wrote:Carida was not one big military academy, it had civilians. It had non-combatant enemy personnel even in the Academy parts.
Where are you getting the idea that Carida wasn't one big military base from? Everything I've heard indicates that the entire system was a military zone, including the whole planet turned over to stormtrooper training, which makes the deaths of any military-employed civilians working there as justifiable as the deaths of any civilians working at a US PX if the base they're on gets bombed by the Russians.
His offences therefore amount to assaulting his CO, stealing equipment that was under his CO's jurisdiction, going AWOL and hitting legitimate targets without authorisation. All of which are, as I understand it, military offences, and therefore to be dealt by his chain of command. Which is exactly what happened.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Joun_Lord wrote:Carida was not one big military academy, it had civilians. It had non-combatant enemy personnel even in the Academy parts.
Where are you getting the idea that Carida wasn't one big military base from? Everything I've heard indicates that the entire system was a military zone, including the whole planet turned over to stormtrooper training, which makes the deaths of any military-employed civilians working there as justifiable as the deaths of any civilians working at a US PX if the base they're on gets bombed by the Russians.
According to Wookieepedia, the planet was home to an entire species and was jointly ruled by the Council of Merchants. The population was 25 million of which 75% were native Caridians and 23% human. 2% droids. Of that 25 million only 150,000 were staff or students of the Academy.

So not only did he attack millions of civilians but he committed genocide, killed the bulk of a sapient species.
His offences therefore amount to assaulting his CO, stealing equipment that was under his CO's jurisdiction, going AWOL and hitting legitimate targets without authorisation. All of which are, as I understand it, military offences, and therefore to be dealt by his chain of command. Which is exactly what happened.
It would have been if he was a soldier, he was not, he was Jedi. He was a trainee Jedi at that. Again, like a trainee FBI agent. Now imagine what would happen if a FBI trainee from Quantico decided to hijack a B-52 and carpet bomb ISIS.

But lets assume he was a soldier, part of the military. Imagine a Chair Force pilot doing the same as above, stealing a B-52 and carpet bombing ISIS. ISIS is a valid target, we are technically at war with them (atleast enough to fire craptons of bombs at them). But the military has chain of command, has rules of engagement and orders. A soldier violating rules of engagement and attacking the enemy without authorization is a big no no, the ROE says when soldiers are allowed to use deadly force and what force is reasonable and necessary in the circumstances.

Soldiers also have to follow the laws of war which state that combatants must make every reasonable effort to avoid attacking people and property not involved in combat or the war effort.

Kyp, assuming he was a soldier which he was not, would have had a crap ton of broken rules and therefore would NOT have been dealt with by his chain of command but turned over to military court for prosecution. Soldiers who violate international law or the uniform code of military justice aren't going to have their CO have them be part of a working party cleaning up cigarette butts, kinda has moved beyond that.

But Kyp wasn't a soldier. Kyp was at best a civilian employee of the government working for a semi-official government, a civilian who wasn't even fully trained and invested with whatever powers of responsibility his organization granted.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

I think the Jedi = law enforcement analogy is pretty shaky. Luke went to get the blessing of the New Republic and they supported him materially, but neither he nor the rest of the Jedi reported to any branch of it. They weren't under any government agency's authority and obeyed any orders they were given to the extent that they agreed with them. I don't think there's a good real life analogue, honestly. This is a religious order of psychic wizards with laser swords who unlike every real-life religious organization had a good case to prove that their religion was...more or less objectively correct.

Plus I don't think any of the Jedi were actually paid. Other than Luke once he stepped down.

I'd still like an answer to exactly what alternative punishments you think would have been a better solution, assuming you don't think he should have been executed. Because what amounts to a lifetime of public service on Kyp's part really does strike me as the best possible solution.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

They're a semi-independent knightly order like the Templars or the Hospitallers.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Ralin wrote:I think the Jedi = law enforcement analogy is pretty shaky. Luke went to get the blessing of the New Republic and they supported him materially, but neither he nor the rest of the Jedi reported to any branch of it. They weren't under any government agency's authority and obeyed any orders they were given to the extent that they agreed with them. I don't think there's a good real life analogue, honestly. This is a religious order of psychic wizards with laser swords who unlike every real-life religious organization had a good case to prove that their religion was...more or less objectively correct.

Plus I don't think any of the Jedi were actually paid. Other than Luke once he stepped down.

I'd still like an answer to exactly what alternative punishments you think would have been a better solution, assuming you don't think he should have been executed. Because what amounts to a lifetime of public service on Kyp's part really does strike me as the best possible solution.
I know Jedi being law enforcement was shaky but they are the closet current real world analog. They are a group under government authority, funded by them, are armed and legally able to arrest or kill suspects, they investigate crimes under the authority of the government, and tend to take a more law enforcement style approach to their duties rather then a soldier approach except during a crisis like the Clone Wars. Mace Windu in the lead up to the Clone Wars says they are keepers of the peace and not soldiers.

As for punishment, dunno. Despite my own distaste for capital punishment it should be off the table. Kyp is a dangerous person who murdered millions but is also a dangerous person who have built in abilities to harm and kill people. If he wants to remain a danger he will be a danger to any other inmates, guards, and anything else. Can't exactly toss him in a normal cell. If he is considered a ongoing danger, preferably by objective psychologists rather then the emotionally invested Luke, he might need executed.

If he is determined to no longer be danger, to actually be really sorry for his action really, he shouldn't be given what he wanted. He wanted to join the Jedi both before and after, that was his goal. A goal that makes him more dangerous, a goal that gives a mentally unbalanced mass murderer legal powers. He could have a lifetime of public service but maybe not something where he carries a weapon and decides the fate of people. To use the shitty FBI analogy, it would be like letting some agent who went postal back into the agency to serve as a normal agent to repent for his sins. Don't make a whole lot of sense to me. I'm all for second chances but usually those second chances don't involve giving a former killer access to more weapons and victims.

If his punishment is a lifetime of public service, which I don't think it should be, that public service should be something that is closer to a punishment, doesn't give him access to weapons, and isn't exactly what he wanted. Maybe go around to various schools throughout the galaxy talking about the dangers of falling to the dark side, be put to work helping build a new homeworld for whatever few Caridians are left, or go and try to foster peace with the Imperials considering they have so much in common that they should develop a great rapport. Fuck even just be sent out in a space suit with some super glue and duct tape to try to put back together Carida. Anything but giving him exactly what he wanted, exactly what made him into a mass murderer in the first place, exactly what can give him more chances to commit mass murder and genocide.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Joun_Lord wrote: They are a group under government authority,
See above about how I don't think this is the case.
legally able to arrest or kill suspects
Don't think this is true either. Far as I know the New Republic didn't pass any law empowering the Jedi to do that. I think it was more a matter of people just...accepting their moral authority on a case by case basis. Especially since they were usually doing something like stopping pirates or shutting down a gunfight in a cantina.

Luke had a revelation about that when he was talking to Daala in the first Fate of the Jedi novel. Something to the effect that Jedi were pretty much above the law and that even if they were doing the right thing in any given situation that was going to add up to a culture of Jedi growing accustomed to ignoring any non-Jedi authority.
they investigate crimes under the authority of the government
Yeah, but that's pretty much an as-requested thing. Not a specific duty.
If he is considered a ongoing danger, preferably by objective psychologists rather then the emotionally invested Luke, he might need executed.
So...exactly what would these 'objective psychologists' have decided that Luke was wrong about? Kyp became a Jedi master and was a hero during the Yuuzhan Vong war. Not seeing how Luke's judgment wasn't born out.
He could have a lifetime of public service but maybe not something where he carries a weapon and decides the fate of people. To use the shitty FBI analogy, it would be like letting some agent who went postal back into the agency to serve as a normal agent to repent for his sins. Don't make a whole lot of sense to me.
It makes sense because Kyp is psychic and can kill people with his mind. Normal rules don’t apply very well under those circumstances. Not taking advantage of his abilities is a waste at best and dangerous at worst, since being in the Jedi Order is the most effective means available of keeping him in check and focused on using his abilities constructively.
If his punishment is a lifetime of public service, which I don't think it should be, that public service should be something that is closer to a punishment, doesn't give him access to weapons,
You can’t deny him weapons. He knows how to build a lightsaber from scratch. Also he can kill people with his mind.
and isn't exactly what he wanted
What Kyp wanted died with Carida. He thought that being a Jedi would mean getting revenge against the Empire. IIRC a big part of what let Exar Kun get his hooks into Kyp was frustration over the fact that wasn’t what Luke had in mind.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Ralin wrote:See above about how I don't think this is the case.
They seemed to be funded by the NR and Luke seemed to follow orders from the NR. Now of course Luke following orders might be because he was a soldier for them previously (I don't recall if he resigned his commission prior).
Don't think this is true either. Far as I know the New Republic didn't pass any law empowering the Jedi to do that. I think it was more a matter of people just...accepting their moral authority on a case by case basis. Especially since they were usually doing something like stopping pirates or shutting down a gunfight in a cantina.

Luke had a revelation about that when he was talking to Daala in the first Fate of the Jedi novel. Something to the effect that Jedi were pretty much above the law and that even if they were doing the right thing in any given situation that was going to add up to a culture of Jedi growing accustomed to ignoring any non-Jedi authority.
I don't know if they passed any laws but certainly the NR was backing them, giving them legitimacy. Luke asked them for permission to establish the Academy, he received intelligence reports on possible candidates for entry from NRI, would undertake diplomatic missions for the NR, and later again sought NR approval to establish the Jedi Council.

As for the Daala bit, this was under the GA rather then the NR which presumably had a different relationship. The thing with Daala was after the Jedi formed the neutral Jedi Coalition where they went against the Alliance government because of Darth Dumbass somehow getting in charge. They were pretty darn independent by this time. Plus Daala is a notably unreliable source on the Jedi considering her problems with them, she would have reason to lie or misrepresent them. She wanted to take control of the Jedi or destroy them, unsure of which, it seems to change depending on who was writing.
Yeah, but that's pretty much an as-requested thing. Not a specific duty.
They still do it though, they still have to have government backing to perform a government investigation.
So...exactly what would these 'objective psychologists' have decided that Luke was wrong about? Kyp became a Jedi master and was a hero during the Yuuzhan Vong war. Not seeing how Luke's judgment wasn't born out.
Luke got lucky. He made a decision based on emotion and his gut and managed to be right about it. He wasn't right at the time though, he is only right in hindsight. There was no way for him at the time to actually know whether Kyp would go all psycho darksider again. He made a gamble, a very stupid gamble.
It makes sense because Kyp is psychic and can kill people with his mind. Normal rules don’t apply very well under those circumstances. Not taking advantage of his abilities is a waste at best and dangerous at worst, since being in the Jedi Order is the most effective means available of keeping him in check and focused on using his abilities constructively.
His abilities were what got him in the mess. He should not be using them at all. He had shown he could not handle them safely and responsibly. He is like some moron who misuses a firearm (though far, far worse), they're firearm privileges are usually taken away for life. Kyp's Jedi privileges should be taken away for life.
You can’t deny him weapons. He knows how to build a lightsaber from scratch. Also he can kill people with his mind.
And former violent felons can crank out a AR-15 in their basement with only a few tools and a credit card. Doesn't mean its not right to ban them from owning firearms. If he remains enough of a danger to continue to mind rape people with his brain meats then he would probably need executed.
What Kyp wanted died with Carida. He thought that being a Jedi would mean getting revenge against the Empire. IIRC a big part of what let Exar Kun get his hooks into Kyp was frustration over the fact that wasn’t what Luke had in mind.
His reasons for wanting to be a Jedi changed but it was still what he wanted to do. And again, it was what gave him the power to do such terrible things and it was those powers he showed he could not handle responsibly.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Darth Yan wrote:In fairness Kyp has a "never live it down" after that. Everyone comments pin it and he still tries to atone.
I liked that I, Jedi - in addition to greatly improving the whole "Yavin 4" storyline that happens in the Jedi Academy Trilogy - showed Corran Horn being unsettled by the fact that Kyp served no real punishment for what he did in Carida, and confronting Luke to his face over it (I can't remember how that turned out).

RE: discussion on Kyp's power level

I don't think he was stronger than Luke in the Force. When he knocked Luke into a coma, he did it with assistance from Exar Kun's ghost.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

They seemed to be funded by the NR and Luke seemed to follow orders from the NR. Now of course Luke following orders might be because he was a soldier for them previously (I don't recall if he resigned his commission prior).
Accepted the New Republic’s assistance, sure. Worked when them when they decided it was for the best, yeah. That doesn’t mean the Jedi were a branch of the government.
Joun_Lord wrote: As for the Daala bit, this was under the GA rather then the NR which presumably had a different relationship. The thing with Daala was after the Jedi formed the neutral Jedi Coalition where they went against the Alliance government because of Darth Dumbass somehow getting in charge. They were pretty darn independent by this time. Plus Daala is a notably unreliable source on the Jedi considering her problems with them, she would have reason to lie or misrepresent them. She wanted to take control of the Jedi or destroy them, unsure of which, it seems to change depending on who was writing.
This was something Luke realized and was narrated from his perspective. He went along with him being banished from Coruscant and the Jedi Order because he decided that Daala was right, at least on the major points.
They still do it though, they still have to have government backing to perform a government investigation.
Jedi mostly seemed to act and investigate as they saw fit, with the relevant authorities supporting them on a case by case basis.
Luke got lucky. He made a decision based on emotion and his gut and managed to be right about it. He wasn't right at the time though, he is only right in hindsight. There was no way for him at the time to actually know whether Kyp would go all psycho darksider again. He made a gamble, a very stupid gamble.
You do remember that Luke is literally psychic, right? His gut decisions are a whole lot more reliable than most people’s. Nor was it a purely emotional one; it’s not like he didn’t consider all the factors we’ve mentioned here.

He also has the significant advantage of knowing from first-hand experience how being Force sensitive in general and interacting with the Dark Side in particular affects someone’s mind. Which these ‘objective psychologists’ wouldn’t.
His abilities were what got him in the mess. He should not be using them at all. He had shown he could not handle them safely and responsibly. He is like some moron who misuses a firearm (though far, far worse), they're firearm privileges are usually taken away for life. Kyp's Jedi privileges should be taken away for life.

And former violent felons can crank out a AR-15 in their basement with only a few tools and a credit card. Doesn't mean its not right to ban them from owning firearms. If he remains enough of a danger to continue to mind rape people with his brain meats then he would probably need executed.
I reiterate, you cannot take Kyp’s powers away from him. They are a part of him. Once they opened the door and taught him how to actively use the Force there wasn’t any putting that genie back in the bottle. Given that, being a Jedi provided him with a framework to use his abilities responsibly and constructively. I’m not seeing any scenario where Kyp being in an environment where he’s expected and encouraged to act like a Jedi (and surrounded by peers who can be expected to effectively intervene if he gets nutty again) isn’t more likely to result in a good outcome than…what? Trying to imprison him? Telling him not to use the Force and hope his non-Jedi probation officer can tell if he does?
His reasons for wanting to be a Jedi changed but it was still what he wanted to do. And again, it was what gave him the power to do such terrible things
I’m pretty sure that it was the undead Sith Lord that gave him the power to do that and that wanting to be a Jedi was part of what pulled him back in the end. I forget the specifics of how and where he was being held when they were debating what to do with him, but IIRC he probably either didn’t have to surrender or could have escaped in the meantime.
and it was those powers he showed he could not handle responsibly.
His career as a Jedi for decades afterward proves otherwise
Guardsman Bass wrote:
RE: discussion on Kyp's power level

I don't think he was stronger than Luke in the Force. When he knocked Luke into a coma, he did it with assistance from Exar Kun's ghost.
He was, but they flat out said when they first tested him for Force potential that his was stronger than Luke’s. That was the verdict both from Palpatine’s hand me down Force potential detection machine and Luke himself when he probed Kyp with the Force. So I don’t think that’s in question, unless there was something in a later novel that contradicted it.
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

I actually liked the Black Fleet series. Lando dealing with the ancient eldritch mystery, Luke having a noir mystery (with multiple Dashiell Hammett references!), and Leia having the political thriller aspects, all ended up being interesting. Very very different from usual Star Wars though, so I get why most don't care for it
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Ender wrote:I actually liked the Black Fleet series. Lando dealing with the ancient eldritch mystery, Luke having a noir mystery (with multiple Dashiell Hammett references!), and Leia having the political thriller aspects, all ended up being interesting. Very very different from usual Star Wars though, so I get why most don't care for it
I put it into more or less the same category as Crystal Star: I don't hate it, but I also find it really forgettable. Though I do remember being bored with Black Fleet as a kid and enjoying Crystal Star. I suspect that a lot of the former flew over my head.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Guardsman Bass wrote:I liked that I, Jedi - in addition to greatly improving the whole "Yavin 4" storyline that happens in the Jedi Academy Trilogy - showed Corran Horn being unsettled by the fact that Kyp served no real punishment for what he did in Carida, and confronting Luke to his face over it (I can't remember how that turned out).
IIRC basically Corran just has his say, Luke is all 'yeah. welp, I guess' and that's about it.

You want a crappy piece of Legends? The New Rebellion. That was one hell of a stinker.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Guardsman Bass wrote:I liked that I, Jedi - in addition to greatly improving the whole "Yavin 4" storyline that happens in the Jedi Academy Trilogy - showed Corran Horn being unsettled by the fact that Kyp served no real punishment for what he did in Carida, and confronting Luke to his face over it (I can't remember how that turned out).
IIRC basically Corran just has his say, Luke is all 'yeah. welp, I guess' and that's about it.

You want a crappy piece of Legends? The New Rebellion. That was one hell of a stinker.
I was fond of it as a kid, although it was pretty bad. I suppose "have every droid built over the past two years in the galaxy explode on remote command" was at least relatively original.

RE: Ralin

I must have blanked that part out. Bleh.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

Kueller had potential in that he had a tragic backstory (he wants revenge on the government that failed to prevent his families slaughter) but bad execution. If they focused on the tragic backstory rather than the megalomaniacal conquerer it would have been better