Donald Glover cast as Lando Calrissian for 2018

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

TithonusSyndrome
Sith Devotee

Donald Glover cast as Lando Calrissian for 2018

Post by TithonusSyndrome »

http://www.starwars.com/news/donald-glo ... alone-film
DONALD GLOVER CAST AS YOUNG LANDO CALRISSIAN IN UPCOMING HAN SOLO STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM
THE SMOOTH-TALKING SMUGGLER IS COMING BACK TO THE BIG SCREEN.

Hello, what have we here?

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.
I honestly don't know if Lando is in Donald Glover's wheelhouse; anytime his characters have come across as cocksure and slick, it's always a prelude to some raw confessional about how it's all coming from a place of insecurity and uncertainty. Shit, that's basically the neurotic interplay at the heart of every Childish Gambino lyric, and I'm not sure that I personally can separate all of that from any future performance he might attempt. It's basically the most peculiar typecasting an actor has ever hemmed themselves into, even before we count the fact that his musical career reinforces it.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: Donald Glover cast as Lando Calrissian for 2018

Post by Rogue 9 »

They've already had Billy Dee Williams voice Lando in Rebels; they'd better be setting this several years earlier than that if they want to keep the semblance of consistency.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Rogue 9 wrote:They've already had Billy Dee Williams voice Lando in Rebels; they'd better be setting this several years earlier than that if they want to keep the semblance of consistency.
I don't know how much that really matters. Clone Wars took place between AOTC and ROTS and obviously had different voice actors.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

They can only do the best they can- it's not feasible to use Billy Dee Williams, and the fact that they used him as a voice actor in an animated show recently doesn't change that.

If they don't do something like this, I'm not sure what option they have. They'd have to stop even considering doing anything live-action with Lando until Mr. Williams dies of old age, plus a few years.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Post by Dartzap »

He was the nerd in The Martian, right? I thought he seemed solid in that.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Dartzap wrote:He was the nerd in The Martian, right? I thought he seemed solid in that.
He was.

He was also downright fantastic in Community, with the show losing a great deal after he left, though that was part of what the OP was likely noting about his suave style being more of a cover for neurosis.