Kenny Baker Has Died

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Kenny Baker Has Died

Post by Crazedwraith »

THe BBC
died aged 81 after a long illness, his niece has confirmed.
Baker became a household name in 1977 when he took on the role of the robot R2-D2 in the first Star Wars film.
He went on to appear with Anthony Daniels' C-3PO character in Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi, as well as the three prequels.
Born in Birmingham, Baker's other films include Time Bandits and Flash Gordon.

The 3ft 8in (1.12m) actor began performing in 1950 at the age of 16, working as a circus clown and in pantomime.
Baker initially turned down the role of R2-D2, and in an interview on his website he recalled telling the film's creator George Lucas: "I don't want to be stuck in a robot, what for, for goodness' sake?

'Like a boiled egg'

"I said 'I'll help you out, I'll do you a favour. George said 'You've got to do it, we can't find anyone else. You're small, to get into it [the costume], and you're strong enough to be able to move in it', and they couldn't use kids.
"I could work all hours, so I was a godsend to them. They'd made the robot in rough form and I was the only one around at the time that was just right for it.
"I got into it and they put the lid on me like a boiled egg."
Actor Daniel Logan, who played Boba Fett in 2002's Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones, tweeted: "So sad to hear one of my dearest friends passed away. Rest in peace Kenny Baker. Love you. Will miss you!"
Despite the fame R2-D2 brought him, Baker told the BBC in 2001 that his own favourite screen role was as Fidgit in 1981's Time Bandits.
"The director Terry Gilliam's such a nutcase, he's so enthusiastic, you can't help enjoy it. It was just a fun film to make," he said.
Fan conventions
A father of two, Baker lived in Preston. His wife Eileen died in 1993.
In later years he appeared at Star Wars fan conventions across the world.
He was not involved in the latest movies in the Star War series and the role of R2-D2 will be played by British actor Jimmy Vee in the next film, due for release in 2017.

On his website, Baker recalled working with comedians including Ken Dodd, Little and Large, Russ Abbot, Ben Elton, Dick Emery and Dave Allen and once meeting Laurel and Hardy.
He became was part of a musical comedy act called The Mini Tones and later performed with his friend Jack Purvis in nightclubs.
Both men went on to appear in the original Star Wars film which was shot at Elstree studios in 1976, with Purvis playing Chief Jawa.
In 1978, as R2-D2, Baker put his footprints into concrete outside Graumann's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.
RIP
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Kenny Baker Has Died

Post by Borgholio »

I will echo what others have said on this board. Fuck 2016.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!