Thrawn - a new novel by TIM ZAHN coming 2017

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

RogueIce
_______

Re: Thrawn - a new novel by TIM ZAHN coming 2017

Post by RogueIce »

Abacus wrote:I'm most disappointed in the fact that they seem to be making him a Grand Admiral right off the bat. At this point in time, he should still be a Captain or, at most, a Vice Admiral or Fleet Admiral. He didn't gain his Grand Admiral rank until between TESB and TROTJ.
And what does that have to do with the new continuity?

It's been what, 12-14 years since the foundations of the Empire? A sufficiently cunning and brilliant tactician could easily rise in that amount of time. I guess we'll see what the novel tells us about his origins, if anything.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

RogueIce wrote: And what does that have to do with the new continuity?

It's been what, 12-14 years since the foundations of the Empire? A sufficiently cunning and brilliant tactician could easily rise in that amount of time. I guess we'll see what the novel tells us about his origins, if anything.
He could have also been active during the Clone Wars with the new continuity. I also wonder if the Chiss are still mysterious, given that he is known to Hera at least.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:I'm most disappointed in the fact that they seem to be making him a Grand Admiral right off the bat. At this point in time, he should still be a Captain or, at most, a Vice Admiral or Fleet Admiral. He didn't gain his Grand Admiral rank until between TESB and TROTJ.
I'm disappointed that they're making him a grand admiral at all. Until now, the new EU has had a conspicuous lack of anyone of a higher military rank than fleet admiral. Moreover, Tagge's promotion to grand general supposedly made him the supreme commander of the Imperial military following Tarkin's death at the Battle of Yavin.

So I'm left wondering if Thrawn is the only grand admiral and, if so, does he have the same level of authority that Tagge was given?
Adam Reynolds wrote:He could have also been active during the Clone Wars with the new continuity. I also wonder if the Chiss are still mysterious, given that he is known to Hera at least.
That would make more sense, actually. Give him an actual war in which to distinguish himself, not that crap about the Outbound Flight.
Pelranius
Sith Marauder

Post by Pelranius »

Galvatron wrote:
I'm disappointed that they're making him a grand admiral at all. Until now, the new EU has had a conspicuous lack of anyone of a higher military rank than fleet admiral. Moreover, Tagge's promotion to grand general supposedly made him the supreme commander of the Imperial military following Tarkin's death at the Battle of Yavin.

So I'm left wondering if Thrawn is the only grand admiral and, if so, does he have the same level of authority that Tagge was given?
Adam Reynolds wrote:He could have also been active during the Clone Wars with the new continuity. I also wonder if the Chiss are still mysterious, given that he is known to Hera at least.
That would make more sense, actually. Give him an actual war in which to distinguish himself, not that crap about the Outbound Flight.
Rax and Sloane claimed the Grand Admiral rank post Endor, for what it's worth.

Apparently Thrawn (the novel) takes place between RotS and Rebels, Season 3. Though I highly doubt that they'll kill him off in Season 3.
Turns out that a five way cross over between It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, the Ali G Show, Fargo, Idiocracy and Veep is a lot less funny when you're actually living in it.
Darth Thanatos
Redshirt

Post by Darth Thanatos »

Abacus wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Would be interesting if Rey's mother is still alive, though they'd need a pretty good explanation for why she never came back for her daughter. Prisoner, maybe?

Here's an interesting thought:

If Mara, or a character similar to Mara (like Kylo Ren is not quite Jacen Solo) is Rey's mother, and left her on Jakku, then maybe she, as an Imperial operative, was present in the Imperial forces at the Battle of Jakku, and that's why it occurred to her as a place to leave Rey?
Am I the only one who didn't think that the ship young Rey sees in her memories looked an awful lot like the Jade Shadow?
I thought it looked like one of those transports the First Order deploys stormtroopers with.
"Love does not lead to the Dark Side. Passion can lead to rage and fear, and can be controlled. But passion is not the same thing as love. Controlling your passions while being in love... that's what they should teach you to beware. But love itself will save you, not condemn you." - Jolee Bindo, on the subject of the Jedi forbidding love.

If you want to really make a Hobbit mad at you, quote Anna from Frozen and tell them foot size doesn't matter.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Darth Thanatos wrote:
I thought it looked like one of those transports the First Order deploys stormtroopers with.

Well, here's a nice cut-out and detail on the Stormtrooper Transport of the First Order.

And then here is a side-by-side of the Jade Shadow and the unknown ship.

We unfortunately don't have a rear-view shot of the Jade Shadow for a better comparison, but except for a for odd differences, they're close enough that it sparked into my mind when I first saw that unknown ship in theaters.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

But we fortunately have the front-view shot of the TFA ship for a better comparison ;)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Good ol' Pablo Hidalgo, shooting down EU fanboys and their wild-eyed attempts to cram Legends into everything one Tweet at a time.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Aw well. Still doesn't mean that it wasn't just a different ship carrying her mother (who may or may not be an EU character brought to the big screen).
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"