What's a turbolaser?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

CarolinePuppylove
Redshirt

What's a turbolaser?

Post by CarolinePuppylove »

Hey I have a thing to say! Everywhere on here and other places, the word turbolaser is just used to mean the biggest guns on Star Wars spaceships, althou I'm not really sure why. The original script makes it clear that these are turbolasers:

That is, they are lasers powered by gas turbines! Turbo-lasers. The gas shooting out is exhaust from the combustion. So to me it implies that in the context of a ships weaponry, turbolasers are the guns that have their own power supply so you can fire while running full power thru your engines or something.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: What's a turbolaser?

Post by NecronLord »

This is an issue to discuss with Lucasarts as the published secondary media calls the main guns turbolasers - it's not fanlore.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I always assumed that Turbo-Laser just sounded cool and that's why they gave it that name during production.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

CarolinePuppylove wrote:Hey I have a thing to say! Everywhere on here and other places, the word turbolaser is just used to mean the biggest guns on Star Wars spaceships, althou I'm not really sure why. The original script makes it clear that these are turbolasers:

That is, they are lasers powered by gas turbines! Turbo-lasers. The gas shooting out is exhaust from the combustion. So to me it implies that in the context of a ships weaponry, turbolasers are the guns that have their own power supply so you can fire while running full power thru your engines or something.
Please provide your evudence for thinking this, if any. The picture doesn't count because none of us have degrees in turbolaser engineering, and the name doesn't work because we know for certain they aren't lasers since turbolaser bolts behave nothing like laser beams
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Canon evidence also tells us that Han Solo has a laser brain. How would that work? Does his brain act like a laser?
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

I would just say that in-universe, "turbolaser" effectively means "really powerful energy gun". Notice, for instance, the use of the word "gun" there. A "gun"
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

Sorry, hit a wrong button. Continuing:

A "gun" used to be a black powder artillery piece specifically. Then it meant any firearm, and then anything that projects something, and ultimately anything held in the hand that has a directional effect. Google "infrared gun" for an example. In the Star Wars 'verse, the word "laser" could easily have gone through a similar broadening and shifting of meaning. We can see a similar shift happening in OUR world with the "atom laser"--the L in laser stands for Light, and a beam of coherent atoms is certainly not light . . . but they call it that anyway to convey the "coherent stream" aspect.

And heck, we've already seen "turbo" shift to mean generically "faster and/or more powerful" without requiring actual turbines.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

One step further, what is a rifle? A projectile weapon with grooves cut in the barrel to spin the projectile and provide greater range and accuracy. Certainly this not at all how blaster rifles or phaser rifles work. Cannon? Originally a smooth-bore artillery piece that shot round balls of stone or metal. Unrelated to ion cannons or phaser cannons except by name.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Borgholio wrote:I always assumed that Turbo-Laser just sounded cool and that's why they gave it that name during production.
And, that's likely the correct answer.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Borgholio wrote:I always assumed that Turbo-Laser just sounded cool and that's why they gave it that name during production.
I knew it — they're called that because they have shoot-faster stripes painted on the barrel... :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

SpottedKitty wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
I knew it — they're called that because they have shoot-faster stripes painted on the barrel... :wink:
In red, no less. :D
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
SpottedKitty wrote:
U.P. Cinnabar wrote: And, that's likely the correct answer.
In red, no less. :D
Turbolasers have bloodstripes like Han's trousers?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The red circle/semicircle on the side of the gun in the picture. ;)
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SAAA
Redshirt

Post by SAAA »

Galvatron wrote:Canon evidence also tells us that Han Solo has a laser brain. How would that work? Does his brain act like a laser?
It sure acted like that when he avoided the collision or Starkiller base coming in hyperspace... light speed reflexes! :D

Being more serious, I always thougth the cable lying below the turrets as electrical power sources, same the one they were quickly mounting on Hoth when the falcon left. Makes sense if you have portable fusion generators, also the gas may very well be from a cooling system exhaust (assuming it's veery efficient there) or part of the turbolaser itself. Gas turbine... tibanna gas, to overcharge the shots? Who knows.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

SAAA wrote:Gas turbine... tibanna gas, to overcharge the shots? Who knows.
That actually makes a fair bit of sense — I'd forgotten (wasn't it briefly mentioned in ESB?) that tibanna gas was used in heavy beam weapons.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Bespin is said to mine Tibanna gas, yes, but they never mention what the stuff is actually used for.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Ah — I must be remembering snippets from at least two different sources, then.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Tibanna gas is explicitly identified with being one power source for blaster weapons in Legends material. Don't think they've identified it as such in current canon.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

They have.*

* If you are not familiar with Wookiepedia, the new canon is with no tag while Legends articles have the Legends tag.

Anyway, it is unknown what tibanna gas actually is, but it seemed to be the reactant that created the plasma blaster bolts themselves, assuming that description is valid. Another description referred to it as a mere conduction agent. It also apparently served as a coolant in hyperdrives, which doesn't make sense based on the first description.

I presume that will remain the same, including the part about not making any sense.