Maximum Power of the Jedi

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

Anakin's death in SbS indicates that humans can only channel a certain amount of Force energy. This is also shown by Dorsk 81's (though, Dorsk 81 is not human) death in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Human force potential has its limits, after which the expenditure of the Force kills a person. It may be possible to increase one's maximum ability to use the Force (like Lord Nyax), but the power that was moving through Dorsk 81 when he died was clearly in excess of what Nyax was pulling, even after his death on Coruscant.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

To be fair, Anakin's death was more related to getting stabbed, bit, poisioned, thud bugged, and what not to death then the "exploding cells" bit. And frankly I always figured that line refered more to the effects of the venom (ala spider venom then reptile venom) then the Force, especially since he had gone into much deeper force connections before in the series without a problem.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
Master of Ossus
Darkest Knight

Post by Master of Ossus »

No, I think that a re-reading of the relevent passage will make it clear that his death was the result of his use of the Force. That does not mean that he would not have died, anyway, but it is a clear indication that his cause of death was an over-use and "burn out" on the Force.
"Sometimes I think you WANT us to fail." "Shut up, just shut up!" -Two Guys from Kabul

Latinum Star Recipient; Hacker's Cross Award Winner

"one soler flar can vapririze the planit or malt the nickl in lass than millasacit" -Bagara1000

"Happiness is just a Flaming Moe away."
Ender
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ender »

*shrug*
My books are about 4000 miles away so I can't check it.
بيرني كان سيفوز
Nuclear Navy Warwolf
in omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro
ipsa scientia potestas est
His Divine Shadow
Commence Primary Ignition

Post by His Divine Shadow »

Master of Ossus wrote:Anakin's death in SbS indicates that humans can only channel a certain amount of Force energy. This is also shown by Dorsk 81's (though, Dorsk 81 is not human) death in the Jedi Academy Trilogy. Human force potential has its limits, after which the expenditure of the Force kills a person. It may be possible to increase one's maximum ability to use the Force (like Lord Nyax), but the power that was moving through Dorsk 81 when he died was clearly in excess of what Nyax was pulling, even after his death on Coruscant.
As I said, that is one way, to gain the insight, like palpy did, like Jacen and Vergere might have done, is another matter entirely.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who did not.
Morte
Youngling

Post by Morte »

His Divine Shadow wrote:I don't see what does not fit about the Dovin Basal's black holes?
They are just really really small and therefore do not have a wide radius that they can affect, making them quite a local phenomena.
Okay... I don't want to take this thread off topic so maybe we should start another, but anyway...

The actual radius of the black hole would make little difference. For a black hole to be able to accelerate a fighter sized object at a decent rate it would have to be quite massive. Remember that the at the surface of the Earth objects are only accelerated at about 10 m/s/s. So to achieve decent acceleration the black hole would have to be rather 'large' (in mass, not in terms of its radius). The simple fact is that an object of such a mass, deployed near the surface of a planet would rip apart the planet due to tidal forces. Even deployed in space they would probably upset orbits and such.
"So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Morte."
His Divine Shadow

Morte wrote:The actual radius of the black hole would make little difference. For a black hole to be able to accelerate a fighter sized object at a decent rate it would have to be quite massive. Remember that the at the surface of the Earth objects are only accelerated at about 10 m/s/s. So to achieve decent acceleration the black hole would have to be rather 'large' (in mass, not in terms of its radius). The simple fact is that an object of such a mass, deployed near the surface of a planet would rip apart the planet due to tidal forces. Even deployed in space they would probably upset orbits and such.
Accelerate a fighter with a black hole? :?:
Morte
Youngling

Post by Morte »

That is how coralskipper movement is described.
"So I looked, and behold, a pale horse. And the name of him who sat on it was Morte."
His Divine Shadow

Morte wrote:That is how coralskipper movement is described.
I believe all that is said is that they both use Dovin Basals for propulsion and defense, not that they use Black holes to move.
Infact they say they do it by locking on to strong gravity wells like stars or nearby planets.
Morte
Youngling

Post by Morte »

Hmm... The way I interpreted it is that the dovin basals create 'black holes' which both protect and manuever the ship. Maybe I'm wrong...

The fact still remains though... even if you want to gobble up laser bolts with a black hole they would need to be a decent mass. Which, incidentally, would then accelerate the coralskipper.
His Divine Shadow

Morte wrote:The fact still remains though... even if you want to gobble up laser bolts with a black hole they would need to be a decent mass. Which, incidentally, would then accelerate the coralskipper.
Yeah but it's not how it works, since it's stated now that I think of it that they lock on to distant sources.
Though I believe they could create their own gravity(directed too I think) too, like repulsors against a planet.

And I don't see the problems with the black holes, extremely small ones would have the ability to gobble up stuff that came very close to them, wich is what happens in the books.
Morte
Youngling

Post by Morte »

Like I said... for a black hole to be effective - to gobble up stuff - it has to have a fairly large mass. Projecting a black hole with a fairly large mass is going to stuff up all kinds of things - most of all it would probably rip apart the thing its trying to protect.
His Divine Shadow

Morte wrote:Like I said... for a black hole to be effective - to gobble up stuff - it has to have a fairly large mass. Projecting a black hole with a fairly large mass is going to stuff up all kinds of things - most of all it would probably rip apart the thing its trying to protect.
I believe you could make a black hole of just about anything if you compressed it enough, sure it wouldn't have a very good reach, but it would still suck anything into it that got close enough.
Cal Wright
American Warlord

Post by Cal Wright »

The Doving Basals make black holes to catch weapons fire. However, using the Interdictor explanation, they use the same dovin basals to latch onto something and pull. (Bull shit concept whole hartedly IMO). Which in turn, if it has to direct its attention to making a black hole, it can't manuever or gain speed. Likewise, if it's maneuvering it can't catch weapons fire without becoming taxed. That's why they use stutter fire also. To keep the animals confused. Overpowering one too, if you keep up the fire, they will finally have to stop and rest.

Were you born with out a sense of humor or did you lose it in a tragic whoppy cushion accident? -Stormbringer

"We are well and truly forked." -Mace Windu Shatterpoint

"Either way KJA is now Dune's problem. Why can't he stop tormenting me and start writting fucking Star Trek books." -Lord Pounder

The Dark Guard Fleet

Post 1500 acheived on Thu Jan 23, 2003 at 2:48 am
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Moving the singularity will be difficult, because it has to have enough mass to suck blaster shots, which travel near or at c (assuming they work like TLs). Size doesn't matter, because the size of any and all black holes is the same: a mathematical point. Event horizon is determined by mass, not size.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Morte
Youngling

Post by Morte »

All I'm saying is that these 'things' are unlikely to be 'classic' black holes because it would probably tear apart the fighter its trying to protect or whatever. Remember also, that they can be deployed right on the surface of a planet - if the thing was a black hole it would cause massive upheaval of the crust, even if it was a 'small' black hole.

Therefore, the 'things' probably aren't normal black holes and are just described as such because it is the easiest way to explain their effects.
His Divine Shadow

Morte wrote:All I'm saying is that these 'things' are unlikely to be 'classic' black holes because it would probably tear apart the fighter its trying to protect or whatever. Remember also, that they can be deployed right on the surface of a planet - if the thing was a black hole it would cause massive upheaval of the crust, even if it was a 'small' black hole.

Therefore, the 'things' probably aren't normal black holes and are just described as such because it is the easiest way to explain their effects.
But very small black holes have very localized effects upon their enviroment.

Anyhow the Dovin Basals doesn't need mass to generate gravity, seems they can manipulate it directly by bending spacetime.
Morte
Youngling

Post by Morte »

His Divine Shadow wrote: Anyhow the Dovin Basals doesn't need mass to generate gravity, seems they can manipulate it directly by bending spacetime.
This seems much more likely than black holes. Though how exactly they would accomplish it is a mystery.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Chalk it up to suspension of disbelief and the fruit of millenia of genetic manipulation.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia