New DK Publishing Complete Locations Book (September 2016)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Mange
Sith Marauder

New DK Publishing Complete Locations Book (September 2016)

Post by Mange »

DK Publishing will be releasing a new, updated Star Wars: Complete Locations in September with material from The Force Awakens:
DK Publishing wrote:Packed with more than 50 full-color, intricate cross-section artwork and 3-D maps, Star Wars™: Complete Locations is an amazing visual guide into the incredible worlds and locations of a galaxy far, far away....

From the towering skyscrapers of Coruscant to the terrifying technology of the Death Star, see in astonishing detail the numerous worlds, bases, cities, landscapes, and battles from the Star Wars galaxy. Discover the secrets of the Jedi Temple Complex and tour Yoda's House on Dagobah.

With brand-new cross-section artwork and sneak peek behind-the-scenes pages showing how the amazing artworks are crafted, Star Wars: Complete Locations is the definitive one-volume collection that takes you inside the world of the Star Wars saga.
Source: DK Publishing

From the previews on DK and Amazon (where the release date October 6 is mentioned), the material from TFA will include Rey's home, the Resistance base and Starkiller base. If I'm not mistaken, no canonical size for Starkiller base has yet been mentioned.

Wonder what elements from the old Locations-books will be recanonized.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Re: New DK Publishing Complete Locations Book (September 2016)

Post by Rogue 9 »

Hopefully the size of the galaxy, so we can put a stop to supposing that the movies take place in some small star cluster to minimize the speed of hyperdrive. :razz:
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Rogue 9 wrote:Hopefully the size of the galaxy, so we can put a stop to supposing that the movies take place in some small star cluster to minimize the speed of hyperdrive. :razz:
Unfortunately the evidence of The Force Awakens almost seems to support that conclusion with their FTL superlaser that is visible across star systems. I really have no good explanation for that one.

Hopefully unlike the Star Wars Atlas this will also remember that the Star Wars galaxy has satellite galaxies in the visual from the movies. Obi-Wan actually traveled outside the galaxy when he went to Kamino, in a one person starfighter. People seem to forget that one.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

Hopefully the size of the galaxy, so we can put a stop to supposing that the movies take place in some small star cluster to minimize the speed of hyperdrive. :razz:

We already have a canon map of the galaxy from the Star Wars the force awakens visual dictionary.

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/sta ... 0104135200

you'll notice that the already established planets from the previous films are in the same place as the legends maps so I'm willing to bet its still the same size as legends. Hear take a look at the map from the Essential Atlas.

http://i1.wp.com/www.tor.com/wp-content ... 0%2C1321px
Unfortunately the evidence of The Force Awakens almost seems to support that conclusion with their FTL superlaser that is visible across star systems. I really have no good explanation for that one.
This was taken from Wookieepedia.
As Starkiller Base was charged through the power of stars, it gradually blocked out sunlight until, running at full capacity, it extinguished it completely, leaving the surface in darkness. In order for the weapon to fire, its weapons engineers would induce a breach in the containment field, allowing the collected dark energy to escape the core through the hollow cylinder opening on the antipodes of the planet relative to the stellar collector. During this process, the dark energy transformed to a state known as "phantom energy", and left the planet behind, tearing a hole through hyperspace along a perfectly linear path. The people stationed at the Base called the dimension through which the phantom energy beam traveled "sub-hyperspace", and this method of delivering the payload was near-instantaneous across vast distances. The rotation and inclination of the planet had to be taken into account for the weapon to target something, and also the lack of obstacles between it and the target, as the phantom energy beam would only be intercepted by an object of sufficient mass (like a planet). When the phantom energy struck a planet, the interaction produced enough heat to ignite the planet's core, creating a pocket nova. The space-time disruption caused by the phantom energy's passage would make the nova instantaneously visible thousands of light years away.[2]
Hears the link.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Starkiller_Base
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Never understood unknown regions when you can travel at the speeds they show. Maybe on an outer spiral but almost the whole western quadrant is unexplored after thousands of years? Warhammer and the like have excuses like warp storms etc, what's stopping Star Wars universe exploration?
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Meest wrote:Never understood unknown regions when you can travel at the speeds they show. Maybe on an outer spiral but almost the whole western quadrant is unexplored after thousands of years? Warhammer and the like have excuses like warp storms etc, what's stopping Star Wars universe exploration?
Only explanation that really makes sense is hostile, isolationist factions that block any further advance in that direction.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

The explanation has always been that the Western half of the Galaxy lacks any major hyperspace routes and has a bunch of hyperspace anomalies that makes travel difficult/dangerous, and causes the lanes that do exist to constantly shift. Hyperspace isn't simply A-B travel. Theres a bit more to it than that, and you need conditions that allow hyperspace travel.

Though it is odd that the remnants of the Empire were able to flee into the Unknown regions. Maybe the Empire had been brute force exploring it by sending thousands of ships in,like how the Deep Core and the Maw were explored in legends. Maybe whoever led the retreat just had the right star maps.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Only explanation that really makes sense is hostile, isolationist factions that block any further advance in that direction.
In the old EU, that was explicitly the case, with the Empire of the Hand and the Chiss being one of the few decent groups out there, culminating in the Yuzhan Vong invasion, as they had been biding their time until it was the ideal mix of weakness and conflict. I truly hated that plot. As bad as the new EU might be, at least they haven't done that yet.

The Unknown Regions were also only a thing during the time of the New Republic, when much of the data about that region of the galaxy had been lost.
Reyvan wrote:Though it is odd that the remnants of the Empire were able to flee into the Unknown regions. Maybe the Empire had been brute force exploring it by sending thousands of ships in,like how the Deep Core and the Maw were explored in legends. Maybe whoever led the retreat just had the right star maps.
What's odd is that there are unknown regions at all. In AOTC, we clearly see that there is nowhere in the galaxy that is unknown to the Jedi Order. They are sufficiently confident in their record keeping that the only possible way something could be missing is if the records were deleted. They never even consider the possibility that a world could be uncharted.

Though this was also the Jedi archive before the fall of the Republic, which were among the best in the galaxy(only the Trade Federation and Senate had comparable records). Of the three, two were wiped out and the third became the Emperor's personal record, which likely perished with him. While other less complete records obviously exist, the unknown regions would be possible in that sense, as a region with few proper hyperspace routes and a large number of anomalies that make space travel hard. Thus the Empire had the few known routes and deleted them upon their retreat. As no one bothered to do much in the way of exploring out there, it was a convenient hiding space for a fleet.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I could see the Jedi as having managed to map the unknown regions and then turning over their maps to the senate. Maybe they were safely able to map the area using the force to escape danger, but its still too dangerous for civilian traffic. That would also fit in with the Jedi heading to Illum for their lightsaber crystals. As far as I can remember, Illum has always been in the unknown regions.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Sorry for the possible necro, but one of the most interesting stats to come out of the new Complete Locations book would be the size of the Starkiller. Apparently, according to the CL, the Starkiller was 660 km in diameter (about half the size of Pluto's moon Charon)... :roll:
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Mange wrote:Sorry for the possible necro, but one of the most interesting stats to come out of the new Complete Locations book would be the size of the Starkiller. Apparently, according to the CL, the Starkiller was 660 km in diameter (about half the size of Pluto's moon Charon)... :roll:
That's dumb as hell. Have you got the book? Is the info from the previous Complete Locations preserved? For example, the Executor bridge?
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Vympel wrote:
Mange wrote:Sorry for the possible necro, but one of the most interesting stats to come out of the new Complete Locations book would be the size of the Starkiller. Apparently, according to the CL, the Starkiller was 660 km in diameter (about half the size of Pluto's moon Charon)... :roll:
That's dumb as hell. Have you got the book? Is the info from the previous Complete Locations preserved? For example, the Executor bridge?
No, I stumbled across an excerpt over at Reddit (I have it on order, but haven't received it yet. I don't expect to have it until next week):
+https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/ ... book_ilum/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Got my copy from Amazon today. On a quick perusal, quantifiable type statements about DS2 reactor power generation and Executor shield strength have been removed. Alterations have been made to comport with the Essential Guide to Warfare re: Imperial plans to attack Mon Cal and Chandrila.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/