Star Wars Graphics

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Star Wars Graphics

Post by DarthPooky »

So has anyone hear and more specifically anyone from Europe seen this book Star Wars Graphics. My reason is because the book has only released in Europe I think and yet from the cover it seems to give more specific details of some of the technological capabilities. I've ordered it on Amazon but it wont come until the end of June to the beginning of July. So have any of you guys seen it and if so are 200 Gigaton Torbolasers back LOL.

By the way hear are the links for the book on Amazon and Wookieepedia.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Graphic ... 140528286X

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Graphics
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Star Wars Graphics

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I seriously doubt hard numbers will ever be published again. In this case, from what I saw of the publisher summary, it is mostly trivia crap. It mentioned Wookiee lifespans and how many people fit into the Mos Eisley Cantina, not anything about real technical details.

Those are likely left to speculation among people on the internet, which is what Curtis was in any case(the source of the official 200GT figure). He was simply notable enough to be recognized and published.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

Well the reason I'm Suggesting this is because the cover seems to give some specific details like 1050 km/M. Than agen km/m doesn't really make sense.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... 3,200_.jpg
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

DarthPooky wrote:Well the reason I'm Suggesting this is because the cover seems to give some specific details like 1050 km/M. Than agen km/m doesn't really make sense.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4 ... 3,200_.jpg
Seems like the old absurdist numbers again. Probably is supposed to say 1050 km/hr. Which of course makes sense given that the Millennium Falcon takes a minute to reach orbit.

Though for a spacecraft like the Falcon, acceleration often matters far more than velocity. In space, traits are the derivative of what you think they should be. Speed(often written as deltaV, to represent the relative nature of velocity) measures how far you can go, Accleration how fast, and jerk how quickly you can change movement. Though hyperspace makes velocity much less relevant than for real spacecraft, as it eliminates the need for long term missions.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wish I could find a good "200 gigatons?!?!" reaction thread on the various sci-fi message boards. That must have been a fun time. :lol:
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

I still don't get why anybody's so upset about the 200GT MTLs on an Accie. I grew up with 20GT guns on fighters the approximate size of an Aardvark (granted, they had all of three shots, but still).
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I think the problem is that most people don't think of Star Wars as being that advanced. They feel like Star Trek and other such settings should be more advanced because of the societies they portray. It also just feels off to have numbers that large, as it really is hard to comprehend. The small numbers we see in things like Clone Wars and frankly the films are also a part of the same problem.

A large part of the problem also had to do with the Imperial wanking that often went with many of those who advocated for large numbers. It thus became a good vs evil debate in their minds. I believe RSA actually referenced the Battle of Britain on his website in his debates with Mike Wong.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Was in the mail tod...well technically yesterday. As expected, useless for technical information (there's little enough of it as it is, and half of it is garbage).
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman wrote:I still don't get why anybody's so upset about the 200GT MTLs on an Accie. I grew up with 20GT guns on fighters the approximate size of an Aardvark (granted, they had all of three shots, but still).
I can't tell if that's a Batman thing or not.
Adam Reynolds wrote:A large part of the problem also had to do with the Imperial wanking that often went with many of those who advocated for large numbers. It thus became a good vs evil debate in their minds. I believe RSA actually referenced the Battle of Britain on his website in his debates with Mike Wong.
Yeah, I remember some of the more avid fans really getting carried away with the Imperial cheerleading.

"Alderaan? Pfft! That was really no big deal. It was like the FBI raiding a militia compound harboring domestic terrorists. You're not a terrorist sympathizer, are you?"

It's no wonder RSA was able to frame the debate as the good guys versus the bad guys and actually gain a following despite his own fucktardery.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:
Batman wrote:I still don't get why anybody's so upset about the 200GT MTLs on an Accie. I grew up with 20GT guns on fighters the approximate size of an Aardvark (granted, they had all of three shots, but still).
I can't tell if that's a Batman thing or not.
IIRC, that's a Perry Rhodan thing. Bats (the poster) is German or at least has left plenty of clues that he hails from that general area, and Perry Rhodan was popular there in the... I wanna say 60s-80s, approximately.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote:IIRC, that's a Perry Rhodan thing. Bats (the poster) is German or at least has left plenty of clues that he hails from that general area, and Perry Rhodan was popular there in the... I wanna say 60s-80s, approximately.
It's still going strong in Germany. It's just that there hasn't been a US publisher willing to translate it in quite some time, though I think that's changing.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Mosquito Jets from Perry Rhodan, indeed.