Episode 8 wish list

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Episode 8 wish list

Post by Rhadamantus »

What things do you really want to see in Episode 8?
Personally, I'd want to see an actual galactic scale battle. Fleets of dreadnaughts duking it out.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Episode 8 wish list

Post by NecronLord »

Character development.
Luke not to die.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

No planet killing superweapons. We've had them in IV, VI, and VII. It's gotten old at this point. If you're going to have a battle, have it be about some local stakes or for strategic importance, not the death of the whole galaxy or something like that.

Also, a chance to breathe and get to know the stakes. Let us know what's going on in the galaxy without having to read a dozen Disney EU novels to grasp just what's happening here.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

NecronLord wrote:Character development.
Luke not to die.
Rey not to be a Skywalker.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Rey not to be related to anyone.

The OT cast to have a graceful exit.

More fucking Threepio.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Some actual information regarding the disposition of the galaxy at large, it's politics, etc.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

What I want from Episode 8 is actually very simple, do not sacfice the narative for fanservice and I don't mean the sexual kind of fanservice either. What I mean is do not add or remove things to appeace one section the fans or another.

If there's a big battle, then have it make sense in the context of the narative, do not just add one to appease the people wanting big starship battles. Same for pretty much everything else, narative first then action scenes, exposition or what ever.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Rhadamantus
Padawan Learner

Post by Rhadamantus »

Lord Revan wrote:What I want from Episode 8 is actually very simple, do not sacfice the narative for fanservice and I don't mean the sexual kind of fanservice either. What I mean is do not add or remove things to appeace one section the fans or another.

If there's a big battle, then have it make sense in the context of the narative, do not just add one to appease the people wanting big starship battles. Same for pretty much everything else, narative first then action scenes, exposition or what ever.
Yes, but a major fleet action should happen. Realistically, Hosnian should have been like a Pearl Harbor to them, and the galaxy is now at war.
"There is no justice in the laws of nature, no term for fairness in the equations of motion. The Universe is neither evil, nor good, it simply does not care. The stars don't care, or the Sun, or the sky.

But they don't have to! WE care! There IS light in the world, and it is US!"

"There is no destiny behind the ills of this world."

"Mortem Delenda Est."

"25,000km is not orbit"-texanmarauder
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Rhadamantus wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:What I want from Episode 8 is actually very simple, do not sacfice the narative for fanservice and I don't mean the sexual kind of fanservice either. What I mean is do not add or remove things to appeace one section the fans or another.

Yes, but a major fleet action should happen. Realistically, Hosnian should have been like a Pearl Harbor to them, and the galaxy is now at war.
Well it also could been like the british attack on the Italian fleet at Taranto Pearl Harbor was based which caused much more serious damage the Italian fleet for a quite a signifigant period then Pearl harbor caused to USN (and seeing as the fleet was pretty much the only part of the italian armed forced that worked at all during WWII that was a rather signifigant blow), you got remember that as far the actual damage dealt Pearl Harbor wasn't that devestating, most of the impact being that it was an attack on essentially american soil.

So while Hosnia(n) was clear act of war towards the Republic, the Republic might not the fleet reserves to have major actions during episode 8 (or even 9 depending on the timeline). You're assuming that there is a signifigant reserves that are ready to head to battle at moment's notice opposed to needing to be reactivated (armed forces that rely heavily on reserves are slow to react to imidiate threats which btw was the real reason(well one of the reasons) the French lost in WW2 not some national compulsion to surrender at first opportunity).

Basically you're assuming a certain type of narative to happen no matter what then basing your expectations on that.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

Rhadamantus wrote:What things do you really want to see in Episode 8?
GADMN Thrawn. The End.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Abacus wrote:Some actual information regarding the disposition of the galaxy at large, it's politics, etc.
I feel like they went too far in this respect in an effort to avoid feeling like the prequels. I understand why, but it was annoying that we had no context for the events or what role the characters played in the bigger picture. A New Hope handled this nicely, in which we knew what role the heroes play in larger events without actually spending any real time on them.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Some things I'd like to see:

Rey's parentage/backstory established, at least somewhat (I'll understand if they want to hold some of that back for the last film).

I'm torn on the Luke's daughter thing. On the one hand, it would be predictable. On the other hand, not doing it might feel like a contrived "twist"/bait and switch.

Kylo Ren to get a fight where he's at full power, so we can gauge what he's capable of when not bleeding out from a gut wound.

The Knights of Ren in action.

More Phasma. Such a waste of the character and Gwendoline Christie, and so at odds with how much she was hyped.

Luke showing what he's capable of with the Force. I'd actually like it if he didn't use a lightsaber, but fought purely with the Force like Yoda initially did against Dooku (to me, a defining moment for Luke is him throwing away his lightsaber). In particular, I want to see him block Force lightning, Yoda-style. Show a Master Luke that is worthy of the title.

On that note, a good explanation for why Luke sat on his ass for a decade or so while the galaxy went to hell. And if Rey is his daughter, a good explanation for why he wasn't their for his child.

Leia in combat, or at least actively using the Force. I want to see if Luke followed through on his RotJ pledge to train her.

Rey with a green staff sabre. Just feels like it would fit. Though like with Luke, they might save her designing her own sabre for the last film in the trilogy.

Lando. Freaking Lando.

Rey/Finn. I don't normally actively promote ships, but after all the racists whining about Finn, I want to see a white woman and a black man as the main couple in Star Wars just to spite them.

Some actual character flaws for Rey expanded on. I like her, but she seems too perfect.

A propper fleet action. Republic vs. First Order. I feel like an Endor-style fleet action with modern effects and without the goofiness Lucas inserted into the Battle of Coruscant could be awesome.

Coruscant. And more political background (as was reportedly cut from VII) in general.

And as always: A menacing villain, sympathetic protagonists, and a logical, comprehensible, and somewhat original story. In particular, let's ditch the endless pandering to whiney OT fans/rehashing the OT and do something at least a little new.

Edit: And I don't really care if they do it in this film or not, but I want them to show Kuat on screen one of these days (film or television, since its appeared in games). I think seeing the glory of the vast orbital ship yards of Kuat could be amazing.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

I want to see a more variety of worlds. For instance, SW seems to be as bad as Doctor Who except instead of quarries, it's desolate places like Hoth, Tattooine, Rey's planet, etc. In the prequels it seemed the only place that was populated was Coruscant and it's suppose to be Trantor-esque utterly populated to the gills, but even then everywhere else are infinitesimal villages.

Heck, play Dark Forces II and being on Nar Shaddaa gave a great immersion to the world. While being in a forest, desert, jungle, prairie, etc, just seemed rather dull. Even Cloud City doesn't really count since it's more of a small mining facility.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, I'd say the films have given us quite a variety of worlds. The OT, admittedly, showed pretty much universally remote and lightly populated worlds (very brief glimpse of Alderran aside), but that fits since it was following a guerrilla resistance force.

The Prequels gave us a lot of variety in both terrain and level of civilization/industrialization. While Coruscant was the only city world, Kashyk and Naboo weren't exactly what I'd call "desolate" or even wilderness, and while Geonosis was barren, it also seemed fairly industrialized. Plus we got brief glimpses of Alderran and others that appeared somewhat built-up, but those were minor.

I do wish we'd seen more of Hosnia or whatever its called in The Force Awakens. Supposedly there was more their that was cut. Pity.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

MKSheppard wrote:
GADMN Thrawn. The End.
I'm right there with you buddy, but at this point I don't think we can expect it. He wasn't the type of character to lead the sort of fanatics that are the First Order and is certainly isn't the type to sit meekly by ruling over a diminished Imperial Remnant while the First Order, the Resistance, and the New Republic trundle through 30 years of continued chaos and minor conflict.

I'd much rather they simply make a TV series, or perhaps an animated series (like the guy who made that awesome one-man story about the Imperials on YouTube) [give it to a Japanese anime studio, just to get a unique feel], and make it purely based on the "Legends" book series that is the Thrawn Trilogy.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Ugg, I'm not an anime fan in general.

Aside from that, not a bad idea.

But you could do Thrawn, or a character like him, in the films. It would be difficult, and you'd have to change some stuff, so it might put-off some fans, but I think it could be done.

That said, its not at the top of my Episode VIII wish-list, obviously.

Edit: I think Thrawn would work best if he was younger than in the old EU due to timeline changes. If, say, he was an up-and-coming young office around the Battle of Endor/Battle of Jakku. Which would mean that wasn't in a position to take control of Imperial forces at the time. And with the Empire crushed post-Endor, he's been having to bide his time and slowly build up his strength and wait for a time when his enemies are weak (say, after the First Order losses its super weapon and the Republic loses a major system and fleet in a surprise attack).
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

I just hope thay don't say something stupid. Like saying that because the Hosnian system was destroyed the Republic no longer exists now.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I second the notion of not having a superweapon. I'd also like to see more on why the Republic didn't just steamroll the Imperial remnants after RotJ. I'd like to see so explanation as to why Rey is so good at everything, and why Luke going into hiding was a better solution rather than him actually, y'know, being the teacher he set himself up to be. IMO, Luke had his story - he's experienced his personal growth and faced his demons. I expect there to be a really good reason why he chickened out then, and why his coming back now will actually matter. I'd like to see more about what happened during the last 30 years or so. I'd also like to see more on why Finn's conditioning didn't take and at least one space battle that involves fleets with capital ships.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I second the idea that we should see Leia use the Force. It would make my inner child giggle to watch a scenario where one of the Knights of Ren is chasing someone in an attempt to kill them, only to turn the corner and see Leia with her lit lightsaber in a combat stance.

I also fully agree that it would be quite fitting for Rey to build herself a staff saber, since she's already quite skilled with a normal quarterstaff.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
FedRebel
Jedi Master

Post by FedRebel »

Other Imperial Remnants siding with the Republic against the First Order, in the form of a massive space battle. The First Order has the Republic fleet on the ropes...then more Star Destroyers show up...Imperator Mark V's (developed secretly in the Maw, the HTL's are replaced with superlaser emitters.)
The new Arrivals rape the Finalizer and other Forst Order ships, driving Ren and Snoke into retreat.

Imperial aid for the Republic is facilitated by Leia giving Luke a secret mission (asking 'them' for help herself is something she can't bring herself to do.)

Luke is Training Rey in the Jedi Temple on Dantooine, when Luke leaves to carry out a secret mission for his sister Rey has to lead and rally Republic forces against a First Order invasion (something that she is struggling with but rising to the occasion.)

Luke Returns with Imperial reinforcements at the head of the 501st Legion (marked in their Republic era blue stripes.)

Luke and Kylo Ren duel, the one in a million event occurs, Kylo's blade cuts through Luke's, Luke is slain and Kylo gets Luke's exploded blade to the face...scarring him further.)

Rey grieving over Luke's remains (his empty cloak per Jedi standard) is approached by a 501st trooper removing his helmet, she says "I sense the force is strong in you...all of you", the trooper replies "we need a teacher", film cuts to credits with Rey responding "I will teach you."
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Kylo Ren needs to be redeemed. Not in the sense that he needs to turn good, but we need to see his potential realized so he's as menacing as Darth Vader was circa TESB.

Even though I understand and agree with the arguments that he was injured, etc. when he fought Rey, he still got humiliated.

Phasma too. Hell, she could be on the run from the First Order for what she did in TFA, making her a loose cannon rogue who blames Finn for her misfortune.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think a lot of people miss the point of Ren. They think he was supposed to be just another menacing "bad ass" villain in the vein of Darth Vader (in which case, lets' be honest, he'd almost certainly be stuck in Vader's shadow anyway), and therefore failed. Instead, he's a deconstruction of such a character, or of someone who aspires to be such a character but isn't.

That does leave us with a lack of a really formidable antagonist, though (well, Snoke might be, but he's in the background for now), so that's something that needs to be addressed.

Edit: Actually, VII is remarkable for its lack of strong individual enemies. I say individual because the First Order, as a group, is reasonably formidable. They've got deadly tech. even by Star Wars standards, stormtroopers that are somewhat threatening, and a willingness to know when to cut their losses rather than just fight fanatically.

Snoke is theoretically formidable (turning Kylo Ren, masterminding the rise of the First Order and the slaughter of Luke's students/Luke's disappearance), but its mostly backstory/off-screen.

Kylo Ren has power, but doesn't use it effectively because of his internal conflict.

Hux is just a frothing at the mouth fanatic, by the looks of things and demonstrates no extraordinary skill at anything.

Phasma got played up in marketing and then reduced to little more than a joke.

No other character got significant attention.
wusolja
Redshirt

Post by wusolja »

The Romulan Republic:

And I don't really care if they do it in this film or not, but I want them to show Kuat on screen one of these days (film or television, since its appeared in games). I think seeing the glory of the vast orbital ship yards of Kuat could be amazing.
We've seen something close to it already in the animated clone wars final season. Or do you just need a 'Live action' fix :) .
ZOmegaZ
Youngling

Post by ZOmegaZ »

I want a believable explanation of what Luke's been up to for the last couple decades, and a satisfying explanation of who Rey's parents are/were and why they left her on Jakuu. That and at least one kickass lightsaber fight, with no arms getting chopped off. Oh, and some explanation as to who Snoke is.

I have a theory, but I'm not sure if I would actually like it if they executed it...

After the destruction of his Jedi school, Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple. Why? What would he hope to find there?

About the only reference to ancient Jedi in the entire movie series so far is the prophecy about the Chosen One. We have few details about this prophecy, and it's not clear that the Jedi had any either. What does it actually mean to bring balance to the Force? To destroy the Sith? If so, does that mean Anakin was the chosen one, since he did ultimately do that? Or is perhaps Luke the chosen one, or has some added prophetic role? Is this the entirety of the prophecy, or is there more to it? George Lucas has made statements about the matter, but they're hardly canon any more.

This prophecy has had tremendous impact on the entire Skywalker line, and is clearly a tremendous motivator for people to do things they would not otherwise do. I believe Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple because he hoped to find out more about this prophecy. He found it, and his faith the accuracy of what he found may be why he was willing to stay so completely out of galactic affairs. He may have come to understand that Rey was coming. Luke may have been waiting for her all this time.

Snoke, on the other hand, may also be working the prophecy angle with Kylo Ren. Someone he called a perfect fusion of light and dark. That sounds a lot like balance in the Force. Perhaps the prophecy is multiple choice; the chosen one brings balance to the force, but which side he or she is on is yet to be determined. If the prophecy refers to Anakin's grandchild being the true Chosen One, or having some continuing role in the prophecy, and and if Rey is Luke's daughter, Rey and Ren may be competing to fulfill the same prophecies.

Which could lead to all sorts of interesting parallels, which we know the writers have tended towards in the past. Rey would be justifiably infuriated if her father left her in that desert hell with no intention to return. Rather than tell her the whole story, Luke may tell her her father was one of the Jedi, destroyed by Ren. Which is true... from a certain point of view. And while Luke may insist she should follow the prophecy and stay with him to train, she may place much greater weight on her friends' safety than on the prophecy. Ren finds her friends to draw her out. Leading to a confrontation.

"Skywalker never told you what happened to your father..."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

ZOmegaZ wrote:I want a believable explanation of what Luke's been up to for the last couple decades, and a satisfying explanation of who Rey's parents are/were and why they left her on Jakuu. That and at least one kickass lightsaber fight, with no arms getting chopped off. Oh, and some explanation as to who Snoke is.

I have a theory, but I'm not sure if I would actually like it if they executed it...

After the destruction of his Jedi school, Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple. Why? What would he hope to find there?

About the only reference to ancient Jedi in the entire movie series so far is the prophecy about the Chosen One. We have few details about this prophecy, and it's not clear that the Jedi had any either. What does it actually mean to bring balance to the Force? To destroy the Sith? If so, does that mean Anakin was the chosen one, since he did ultimately do that? Or is perhaps Luke the chosen one, or has some added prophetic role? Is this the entirety of the prophecy, or is there more to it? George Lucas has made statements about the matter, but they're hardly canon any more.

This prophecy has had tremendous impact on the entire Skywalker line, and is clearly a tremendous motivator for people to do things they would not otherwise do. I believe Luke went looking for the first Jedi temple because he hoped to find out more about this prophecy. He found it, and his faith the accuracy of what he found may be why he was willing to stay so completely out of galactic affairs. He may have come to understand that Rey was coming. Luke may have been waiting for her all this time.
On the other hand, I very much doubt that they'll want to take something from the Prequels and make it the foundation of their plot for the new trilogy. Force Awakens was a film made, in part, to sooth bitter OT fans who hated the Prequels.
Snoke, on the other hand, may also be working the prophecy angle with Kylo Ren. Someone he called a perfect fusion of light and dark. That sounds a lot like balance in the Force. Perhaps the prophecy is multiple choice; the chosen one brings balance to the force, but which side he or she is on is yet to be determined. If the prophecy refers to Anakin's grandchild being the true Chosen One, or having some continuing role in the prophecy, and and if Rey is Luke's daughter, Rey and Ren may be competing to fulfill the same prophecies.
Two big problems with this:

1. It diminishes/retcons Anakin's role, which has been central to the story thus far.

2. "Wait, the Chosen One is really supposed to be on the side of the Dark Side" is something that sounds like it was either created by someone with a love of gratuitous grimdark, or someone who is trying too hard to create an edgy, clever twist for its own sake without it making sense.
Which could lead to all sorts of interesting parallels, which we know the writers have tended towards in the past. Rey would be justifiably infuriated if her father left her in that desert hell with no intention to return. Rather than tell her the whole story, Luke may tell her her father was one of the Jedi, destroyed by Ren. Which is true... from a certain point of view. And while Luke may insist she should follow the prophecy and stay with him to train, she may place much greater weight on her friends' safety than on the prophecy. Ren finds her friends to draw her out. Leading to a confrontation.

"Skywalker never told you what happened to your father..."
Too much rehashing. Though maybe they'll really be that uncreative.

Also, it presumes Rey is, in fact, Luke's child.

I do have an alternate idea as to why Luke would go looking for the first Jedi temple- information on how the Sith came into existence. Because he saw the Sith defeated, but now he's seeing a similar organization rising in the form of the First Order/the Knights of Ren, and he wants to make sure he doesn't repeat whatever mistakes the ancient Jedi made that allowed the Sith to gain such power. It would be a chance to delve into the ancient history of the franchise, something the films have never really done (and the EU stuff was largely expunged).

It wouldn't explain, if Rey is his daughter, why he left his child behind though. Unless the search was so dangerous that leaving her on Jakku was safer that taking her with him.