Imperial Rank Insignia Discussion

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

PhoenixKnig
Padawan Learner

Re: Imperial Rank Insignia Discussion

Post by PhoenixKnig » 2018-06-14 08:52pm

Better
Bullets always have the right of away

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce » 2018-06-17 01:08am

Darth Winter wrote:
2018-06-14 11:36am
RogueIce wrote:
2018-06-14 01:16am
So I'm not sure what you're doing with your uploading, but it's not coming through. Even when I go to the link it just says "410 Gone" on the page.

Have you considered just uploading to imgur.com or something like that?
This image look correct?
It does, thank you. Some commentary:

You'd need to address the double row badges for the Army. Veers has RRRR/BBBB and the stormtrooper officer he orders to deploy troops has RR/BB. Also, when Brom Titus got demoted, he was still referred to as "Commander" but with a RR badge, which in your scheme is Ensign. While it's possible his title was being used as an honorific, IIRC he did have command over other officers, so it's unlikely. Which would indicate a RR badge has more seniority than you're giving it here.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight

Darth Winter
Redshirt

Post by Darth Winter » 2018-06-17 03:10pm

RogueIce wrote:
2018-06-17 01:08am
You'd need to address the double row badges for the Army. Veers has RRRR/BBBB and the stormtrooper officer he orders to deploy troops has RR/BB.
Doble row bage same in army, navy and administration, etc. It show level in the general imperial hierarchy. Captain of the ship have same bage, as comandant of the city. Director of State Agency equal to Admiral. It mean it is common insignia for all brunches and sevices. I think we can call it Officer Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6.

General Veers commander of all land forces of Death Squadron (Vader personal armada led by the Executor-class Star Dreadnought Executor, supported by six smaller Imperial-class Star Destroyers). Admiral Ozzel commander of all Death Squadron. Piett and Needa - commanders of one of the ships. So we have this signification in Navy

RRRRRR
BBBBBB - Level 6 - commander of fleet or separate (not part of the fleet) squadron (like Death Squadron). Usually it Admiral or Fleet Admiral.

RRRRR
BBBBB - Level 5 - commander of squadron. Maybe assystant of fleet commnader. Usually it is Vice Admiral. Assistent of separate squadron commander is captain of flagship. Assistent of Ozzel was Piett. This explains why we do not have this insignia in movie.

RRRR
BBBB - Level 4 - commander of Division. Usually it Rear Admiral or Commodore. Commander of all Separate Squadron's land forces looks equal position to me.

RRR
BBB - Level 3 - captain of the Ship. Usually it Commander, Lt. Commander and Captain.
Offtop:
In non-English-speaking countries all this ranks named Captain. In continental Europe countries it calls Captain of the Navy, Captain of Frigate and Captain of Corvette. In Russia more simple Captain First, Second and Third rank.

RR
BB - Level 2 - first and second offciers. Chiefs of battle stations. Usually it Captain (if ship captain have rank commander) or Senior Lieutenant.

R
B - Level 1 - junior officers. Usually it is Junior Lieutenant and Ensign.
RogueIce wrote:
2018-06-17 01:08am
Also, when Brom Titus got demoted, he was still referred to as "Commander" but with a RR badge, which in your scheme is Ensign. While it's possible his title was being used as an honorific, IIRC he did have command over other officers, so it's unlikely. Which would indicate a RR badge has more seniority than you're giving it here.
Commander it is not necessarily rank. It coud be position. Like commander of the ship or commander of the fleet. Degraded ensign could command a salvage yard. He have only civilians on his command. No one officer exept him.

Also captain Piett rank can be Lt. Commander or Commander. Captain could mean his position - Captain of the Ship. Executor is a flagship so she's capatin could be even commodore.

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard » 2018-06-17 10:18pm

Also, ROTJ....everyone had the same damn insignia (!!!)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944

Darth Winter
Redshirt

Post by Darth Winter » 2018-07-12 02:06pm

I make a few changes. In new canon there is no (yet) Major of Lieutenant Generals.Brigadier General exist (look at wookiepedia). Also Colonel equal to Commodore. It mean Rear Admiral equal Brigadier General. But next rank looks to strange (Vice Admiral equal to Major General :( ). So i change german system (Major General, Lt General, General, Colonel General, Grand General) to french system (Brigadier General, Division General, Army Corps General, Army General).

Also I add starfighter ranks and few administration positions.

Wait constructive criticism.