Force Allocation

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Force Allocation

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I did talk about the infrastructure problems when I originally outlined my idea, remember? Use a relatively small part of the defence procurement budget for actual defences (prioritise planetary shielding first naturally) and use the rest to build homes, work, communities etc for the new settlers.

Here's one idea for how to get people to leave: since I'm using a big chunk of the defence budget to build said homes and communities, offer them to the immigrants for free and a guaranteed job when they arrive, with a beautiful planet rather than a sun-blasted rock or asteroid colony, with none of those damn foreigners who want to attack us and shields to keep them safe. I'm sure there are ways without resorting to forced relocation.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I did talk about the infrastructure problems when I originally outlined my idea, remember? Use a relatively small part of the defence procurement budget for actual defences (prioritise planetary shielding first naturally) and use the rest to build homes, work, communities etc for the new settlers.
I think, to be blunt, that you are grossly underestimating the scale of the challenge-one comparable to, say, relocating the population of Canada (population about three quarters that of the hypothetical civilization of forty million in this scenario) to one province.
Here's one idea for how to get people to leave: since I'm using a big chunk of the defence budget to build said homes and communities, offer them to the immigrants for free and a guaranteed job when they arrive, with a beautiful planet rather than a sun-blasted rock or asteroid colony, with none of those damn foreigners who want to attack us and shields to keep them safe. I'm sure there are ways without resorting to forced relocation.
Might work for some people, but guess what- a lot of people are attached to their homes, and this is uprooting the majority of your society.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Then in that case leave the populations where they are and begin building the defences as planned. Build or purchase a large group of large, very well-shielded ships with point-defence armament only to evacuate civilians tot he fortress-world if there is a threat of war.
Pre-conversion or partial-conversion (Naboo era) Lucrehulks would fit that description excellently; their shields can resist an entire flotilla of Venators and they have a passenger capacity of 100,000 under normal conditions, not even counting evacuation conditions and have large and capacious bays that can service all manner of bulk landing craft.

The full conversion (Clone Wars) ones presumably loses passenger and cargo space to accommodate those hundreds of turbolasers, so I'd go for the less powerful ones. That would also mean that I could legitimately say they're not warships.

Best of all, they can be put to commercial use and help pay for themselves when tensions are low.

Yes, I do get commission from the Trade Federation for plugging them in these posts.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Might work for some people, but guess what- a lot of people are attached to their homes, and this is uprooting the majority of your society.
Given that lots of these people apparently live on trojan-expies and other small asteroids, I'm not sure if they're not asteroid miners who live a mobile lifestyle already.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

NecronLord answered the "people are attached to their homes" for me, so thanks.

Also, I love the Lucrehulks idea, they would fit perfectly for my "massively shielded evacuation transports" idea. I would probably opt for Naboo-era models, but with more point defence and the strongest possible shields. 100,000 passengers is, presumably, in the core section, since the cargo arms are used almost entirely for hangers/droid/vehicle storage. By using up some of that space I wouldn't be surprised if I could fit 250,000 into each ship while still leaving plenty of hanger room. The accommodation doesn't have to be luxurious after all, merely comfortable enough for an in-system sublight cruise. I could probably go full airline-seating style and maximise capacity if I wanted.

Hmmm...instead of doing a full conversion of pats of the hanger spaces into living quarters, I wonder if I could build passenger modules (again, airline style seating plus baggage) that I could load in for the evacuation and then remove to store cargo in afterwards.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Looking at my ICSes, the core ship (P16 AotC ICS) has 'stateroom capacity for 60,000 trade representatives' - I can't find where Wookiepedia got the 100,000 figure from, but will continue looking.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

OK, I have a distinct feeling that this guy is trolling for information for an off-site role playing forum site. There are a few, such as NationStates, that use similar formulas, etc, for nations.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Possibly; and I'd happily give him advice on star-wars based forum RPs, been on that one for many many years - though certainly 40 million is nothing there. We've no rules against just asking for that kind of information.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Isn't that what STGODs were? Where exactly did that term come from, and was there ever a Star Wars version?
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

This question gets asked and answered periodically.

Structured The Good Old Days was a formalized variant of old Role-Playing threads created long ago. This was all before my time, and people who were actually around back then can answer more authoritatively, but my impression is that the original The Good Old Days were more freeform and had less emphasis on large-scale military and nation-building.

Again, this is all half-remembered from what I was told long ago, and I have no direct experience with any of it. I don't even know if it started on this forum or somewhere else.
Proud member of the no sigs club.