25 Years since Heir to the Empire Launched the EU

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

25 Years since Heir to the Empire Launched the EU

Post by MKSheppard »

I remember waiting for the final book in the Thrawn trilogy to hit the local public libraries.

God. I feel old.

Is this how people felt in 1991 with Star Trek VI and the 25th Anniversary of Trek?

Obligatory GADM Thrawn:

EDITED TO ADD: I also remember seeing Heir appearing in bookstores in hardcover format.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: 25 Years since Heir to the Empire Launched the EU

Post by Batman »

Heck at least you got to see that. You know what a PITA it was to get english language books (nevermind movies) in Germany in those years?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Recently I found the anniversary edition (edit: of Heir, if that was unclear) in the local bookstore. It's a nice hardcover, with annonations from Zahn and some of the publishing people associated with it, and a short story detailing one of Thrawn's exploits pre-TTT. Read through it in a few sittings. Not bad, hopefully they come out with similar for the other two.

Edit for clarification.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

MKSheppard wrote:I remember waiting for the final book in the Thrawn trilogy to hit the local public libraries.

God. I feel old.

Is this how people felt in 1991 with Star Trek VI and the 25th Anniversary of Trek?
Definitely for ST6, because it was the last hurrah for the original crew, and the end of the franchise's high-water mark.

The 25th anniverary, not so much.

That being said, I couldn't wait for The Last Command to hit the bookshelves either. The only EU novel I was more excited
about wanting to read than the final part of the Thrawn Trilogy was Shadows Of the Empire.

(Shatterpoint is my favorite Expanded Universe novel, but I wasn't expecting a whole lot from it when I'd bought it, other than reading material to break the boredom. Matthew Stover absolutely surprised the hell out of me with not that just that novel, but with his novelization of ROTS)

EDIT: That pic of Thrawn, Vader, Palpatine and Pellaeon(?!) would make a hell of a poster.
Last edited by U.P. Cinnabar on 2016-05-02 06:49pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Shadows of the Empire was... mediocre. Not that that stopped me from snapping it up and a bunch of the toys. I had the Swoop micro-machines with a Dash Rendar figure...

Of course, I had zero taste in literature when I was younger. Children of the Jedi, Darksaber, Jedi Academy Trilogy, I Jedi... at least I never had to tolerate Crystal Star, and the Lando Calrissian Adventures-- if not very 'Star Wars' in feel-- was a fun enough romp.

Then, fifteen years later, I pick up the last volume of the Jedi Academy Trilogy (I only had the first two for some reason) and couldn't get more than a few chapters into that dreck. It's remarkable how one's taste can change...
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Elheru Aran wrote:Shadows of the Empire was... mediocre.
Strip out everything Star Wars, and Shadows is your generic Steve Perry martial arts/sci-fi novel. Hence the anticipation, as I was impressed with his Matador series*, and some of his short story work for The Fleet anthologies, and was eager to see how well he could write a SW novel.

It wasn't a bad novel, but I was fairly disappointed by the effort.

I never really got into either the Jedi Academy or the Young Jedi Knights novels, especially when they started with that Emperor's son horseshit. And, I didn't much care for the Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Force, and Yuuzhan Vong books.

*Everything up to The Albino Knife at least. In retrospect, he could've stopped writing any more Matador books after the third one, as he told the story he needed to tell.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Hey! At least Shadows of the Empire came with a soundtrack!
I don't know why everybody hates Children of the Jedi-that book was merely not good, compared to the abominations that were the JAT, Darksaber, and Crystal Star (possibly the worst Star Wars story it is physically possible to write) and while I don't particularly like I, Jedi either I'm biased against it because I don't like a) first-person narratives and b) Corran Horn.
'Not liking', in the case of Corran Horn, meaning 'I want to purge it. With fire'.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The problem with Corran Horn was that he was Mike Stackpole's personal fuck-toy Mary Sue. Notice how in the Wraith Squadron books, even the one where they're working alongside Rogue Squadron, he appears for like... one scene, at the very end? I halfway think Allston wrote it that way to piss off Stackpole... Anyway, yeah, I, Jedi was pretty bad. Giant Jedi apparition made out of fire and smoke? Gag.

At least it gave Exar Kun a little more screentime and he smacked Corran around a bit, which I always appreciated.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I see the Mary Sue thing but really no-one notices that Corran constantly got himself nearly killed through arrogance and stupidity? I mean it's basically an intentional character flaw. He spends I,Jedi basically being entirely wrong about nearly everything and needs Luke to turn up bail him out and do the heavy lifting when they rescue Mirax.
Darth Yan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Darth Yan »

I admittedly lived under a rock and spent a long time believing that the vong had conquered coruscant and the jedi were still hated and hunted (Yeah I didn't learn that the series had ended with the jedi victorious in 03 until 200 and fucking 5.

But when I caught up certain vong books rocked my socks. Destiny's way traitor final prophecy and unifying force were sublime.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

I remember buying a copy of Heir in a CVS I think. My parents noticed me reading it non-stop and that Christmas I got a hardcover Dark Force Rising. The series certainly rocked my socks as a kid. And yeah, I'm with Shep. Now I feel damn old.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I enjoyed Heir to the Empire and even accepted it as a surrogate sequel to the OT until Dark Empire #1 was published and turned the entire Thrawn campaign into a footnote. It essentially spoiled the fuck out of Zahn's two follow-up books and rendered them inconsequential filler stories.

God, I hate Dark Empire.
NeoGoomba
Sith Devotee

Post by NeoGoomba »

Dark Empire has gotten so much hate, that I've actually stayed away from it. Are there any decent qualities to it that make it deserve at least a cursory read?
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know...tomorrow."
-Agent Kay
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Nope. It's the definition of 90s wank, Star Wars-style.
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Galvatron wrote:I enjoyed Heir to the Empire and even accepted it as a surrogate sequel to the OT until Dark Empire #1 was published and turned the entire Thrawn campaign into a footnote. It essentially spoiled the fuck out of Zahn's two follow-up books and rendered them inconsequential filler stories.

God, I hate Dark Empire.
Now you're making me feel old.

I ordered Dark Empire from AMZN on May 1, 1999 as part of a $42~ order that also included Vision of the Future Hardback; with some of teh money from my first job, because some people on ASVS were talking about how great it was, and how it was referenced in the SWTC etc.

So I wait and wait.

Then I get it, and art is horrible as fuck and the story's not really that great. It's massively underwhelming, tbh.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Elheru Aran wrote:Notice how in the Wraith Squadron books, even the one where they're working alongside Rogue Squadron, he appears for like... one scene, at the very end? I halfway think Allston wrote it that way to piss off Stackpole...
Or gee, maybe Allston knew that Han and Corran would be meeting for the first time years later in I, Jedi and he consciously avoided using Stackpole's character other than that one gag scene to make sure there weren't any plot holes?

Quick Google check says that I, Jedi was published three years before Wraith Squadron.
Crazedwraith wrote:I see the Mary Sue thing but really no-one notices that Corran constantly got himself nearly killed through arrogance and stupidity? I mean it's basically an intentional character flaw. He spends I,Jedi basically being entirely wrong about nearly everything and needs Luke to turn up bail him out and do the heavy lifting when they rescue Mirax.
Seriously. He's a flawed character. His arrogance is not supposed to be likable. Never got the Stackpole hate around here.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Ralin wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Notice how in the Wraith Squadron books, even the one where they're working alongside Rogue Squadron, he appears for like... one scene, at the very end? I halfway think Allston wrote it that way to piss off Stackpole...
Or gee, maybe Allston knew that Han and Corran would be meeting for the first time years later in I, Jedi and he consciously avoided using Stackpole's character other than that one gag scene to make sure there weren't any plot holes?
I didn't know about the publishing dates but this does explain the in-universe joke in "Solo Command," that because Corran and Han are never seen in the same place, people begin assuming they're actually the same person, despite different age, size, weight, personality etc.

Suddenly that goes from being "mildly amusing side gag" to "that's actually pretty clever."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I didn't know about the publishing dates but this does explain the in-universe joke in "Solo Command," that because Corran and Han are never seen in the same place, people begin assuming they're actually the same person, despite different age, size, weight, personality etc.

Suddenly that goes from being "mildly amusing side gag" to "that's actually pretty clever."
I never actually looked up the dates until now, but I always assumed that was it, yeah. Allston always seemed very respectful about other people's characters, and a good team player when working on arcs with multiple authors like in the NJO.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

MKSheppard wrote:I ordered Dark Empire from AMZN on May 1, 1999 as part of a $42~ order that also included Vision of the Future Hardback; with some of teh money from my first job, because some people on ASVS were talking about how great it was, and how it was referenced in the SWTC etc.

So I wait and wait.

Then I get it, and art is horrible as fuck and the story's not really that great. It's massively underwhelming, tbh.
Yeah, you were misinformed. The people who thought it was great probably did so because it was anti-minimalist or provided ammo against the Trekkies back then. There was nothing else about it to like.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

It was more Wars material at a time when such material was rare. At that time the EU meant TTT, the Han Solo/Lando Callrissian trilogies, and for those who wanted to admit its existence 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' and that was it. The massive Legends EU we've come to know and loathe hadn't happened yet.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

In many of these stories that take place after the fall of the Empire, do they ever address how the remnants are able to pool together enough funds to pay for all these fleets and personnel?
Ralin
Sith Marauder

Post by Ralin »

biostem wrote:In many of these stories that take place after the fall of the Empire, do they ever address how the remnants are able to pool together enough funds to pay for all these fleets and personnel?
I think it was just assumed they continued to draw from worlds like Carida and Kuat that were still loyal to whatever was the largest and most legit-looking Imperial leader that week. That and mass conscription, requisitioning from whatever private industry they could get their hands on, etc.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I suppose if some former Imperial commander/captain/admiral had even 1 star destroyer and crew still at their disposal, that'd be enough to confiscate/conscript enough equipment and personnel to keep them going for a while...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

A lot of the plot of The Thrawn Trilogy was about how Thrawn was supplying his war machine.

A combination of raiding, salvaging, cloning, and plundering old Imperial stores as I recall, in addition to having at least one major ship yard at his disposal (capable of manufacturing Star Destroyers).

Edit: Come to think of it, though its been a while since I read it, I believe multiple ship yards were referenced, though only one (Bilbrigi) was actually depicted in detail.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman wrote:It was more Wars material at a time when such material was rare. At that time the EU meant TTT, the Han Solo/Lando Callrissian trilogies, and for those who wanted to admit its existence 'Splinter of the Mind's Eye' and that was it. The massive Legends EU we've come to know and loathe hadn't happened yet.
It wasn't long after TTT that both Bantam and Dark Horse started spewing out scads of KJA's horseshit too and all of it treated WEG's fucking RPG like holy writ. There were also the PC games, starting with X-wing.
biostem wrote:In many of these stories that take place after the fall of the Empire, do they ever address how the remnants are able to pool together enough funds to pay for all these fleets and personnel?
Nope. It was retconned years later that Thrawn was supported by what was left of the Emperor's Ruling Council and the Moffs, but Zahn never addressed in TTT. In the Jedi Search trilogy, Admiral Daala outright stated that she was the highest ranking officer in the galaxy following Thrawn's death.