"Why no Medal of Honor for Chewie?"

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

JamesStaley
Youngling

"Why no Medal of Honor for Chewie?"

Post by JamesStaley »

I borrowed A New Hope from the public library a few days ago. God, it fealt SO GOOD to watch the original again :angelic:

I have a ? though, something i've been wondering about for 30 years: Why at the end of the movie, when you see Leia presenting medals to our heros Luke and Han, WHY DOESN'T CHEWBACCA GET A MEDAL AS WELL????? He was there, too, and is just as deserving as the other two guys.

This question has annoyed me FOREVER, ever since the very first day/time I saw the movie. "Why doesn't Chewie get honored and get a medal as well"?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: "Why no Medal of Honor for Chewie?"

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Out of universe, Chewie was too tall for Carrie Fisher to give the medal to.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

And there was no workaround for that? The guy playing Chewie couldn't have bowed down or she couldn't just have given him the medal?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Maybe the political leadership of the Rebellion don't like Wookiees?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

If it had been up to me, I might have explained it as a cultural thing, like Wookies don't believe in medals for some reason.

I don't know if canon contradicts this, though.

Edit: Or maybe Chewie's just really modest and declined the honour, but couldn't get out of at least making an appearance on stage. :lol:
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

In the new Disney canon, Chewie got the medal but for undisclosed reasons chose not to receive it at the ceremony. Later, however, he gives it away to some kid. So obviously he was ambivalent about it. This all happened in a recent comic.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

We should also remember that out-of-universe the ANH production was a mess so it's possible that with countless other problems that Chewie didn't get a medal probably seemed like a minor issue not worth bothering about.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Maybe Leia just doesn't like Chewie. Don't forget that in The Force Awakens she also ignored him after Han died, instead comforting Rey. Lets ignore the loyal friend who had been with Han for decades in favor of the girl who had known him for a few days.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

As I recall, Abrams himself admitted in an interview that the Leia and Rey scene was a mistake.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Formless wrote:In the new Disney canon, Chewie got the medal but for undisclosed reasons chose not to receive it at the ceremony. Later, however, he gives it away to some kid. So obviously he was ambivalent about it. This all happened in a recent comic.
At least one old comic adaption reassures via caption that Chewie does get his own medal but will have to put it on himself as 'few space princesses are that tall'

So silly as it its and an in and out of universe reason apparently.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Leia might be a bit of a racist herself, she does refer to Chewie as a "walking carpet" and in ESB suggests that kissing a wookie is distasteful.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Pounder wrote: in ESB suggests that kissing a wookie is distasteful.
I wouldn't particularly read too much into this, some women just don't like kissing people with a lot of facial hair. My wife for example is quite averse to facial hair for the most part (Hugh Jackman being about the only exception). That, and she was verbally sparring with Han Solo at the time due to all the romantic tension going on, so obviously there was going to be some exaggeration.

It would be comparable if you were trying to flirt with a girl, and she says she'd rather kiss your dog's ass or something along those lines. She's making a comment that she would rather do something she views as unpleasant, rather than kiss you.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I always thought it was because he was the CO-pilot, not the guy who actually piloted the ship and fired the shots that saved Luke.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Lord Pounder wrote:Leia might be a bit of a racist herself, she does refer to Chewie as a "walking carpet" and in ESB suggests that kissing a wookie is distasteful.
Aren't Leia and other Rebel higher ups from the upper classes of Republic/Imperial society? It might certainly explain why the ANH Rebellion looks so much like a "homo sapiens only" club.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Hey, R2D2 didn't get a medal either. And he got shot in the line of duty. Neither did wedge. I'd mention other characters but I can't remember who survived at the end.

R2 got thanked in TPM, but here he gets bupkis. Clearly the everyone became racist toward droids after the clone wars.
JamesStaley
Youngling

Post by JamesStaley »

Personally, in real life, I always thought it just some mistake in the movie that happened and nobody thought to fix it or couldn't correct it until it was too late. Having Leia trying to present the medal to him and NOT being able to reach his neck & him having to bend over to receive it, could have ended the movie on a funny note. I think she could also have AT LEAST maybe given him a hug or some sign of appreciation that might have been an embarrassing moment for both of them when she gives him a friendly hug and he gives her a big 'ol WOOKIE-SIZED hug in return!
Just some silly movie trivia fluff to ponder (and be annoyed by for the rest of my life!). :)
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

One explanation could be that as essentially the crew chief of the Millennium Falcon that he got a medal that was a step down from what Luke and Han got. In the book Low Level Hell, a scout helicopter pilot in Vietnam explained that when he got to his aeroscout unit, the standard practice was that if a little bird pilot was put in for a commendation, the crew chief would be put in for the the commendation one step down on the order of precedence. He lobbied for both pilot and crew chief to get the same award, since the crew chief was in just as much danger.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

APlayerHater wrote:Hey, R2D2 didn't get a medal either. And he got shot in the line of duty. Neither did wedge. I'd mention other characters but I can't remember who survived at the end.

R2 got thanked in TPM, but here he gets bupkis. Clearly the everyone became racist toward droids after the clone wars.
Why do you think he was raising such a ruckus at the awards ceremony? His dialogue didn't get bleeped out only because the MPAA couldn't understand droid. :D

(well, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it)
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
APlayerHater wrote:Hey, R2D2 didn't get a medal either. And he got shot in the line of duty. Neither did wedge. I'd mention other characters but I can't remember who survived at the end.

Why do you think he was raising such a ruckus at the awards ceremony? His dialogue didn't get bleeped out only because the MPAA couldn't understand droid. :D
It is bleeped out. R2D2 only speaks two languages. Basic and Bad Basic.