Did the Rebels ever used long-range commuications?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Did the Rebels ever used long-range commuications?

Post by ray245 »

Leia having to bring her ship to Alderaan in order to pass the Death Star plans to her father physically made me wonder whether the Rebels were ever depicted to be using long-range communications in the films?

We know that the technology definitely existed in the films as the empire and the Republic was using them. We also know that secret long-range transmission is possible with Sidious communicating to his underlings without detection. However, I don't remember the Rebels ever using any secret transmission or communications in the film.

Did the Rebels avoided using long-range communications to stay under the radar?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Re: Did the Rebels ever used long-range commuications?

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Leia probably didn't trust even secure communications to transmit the Death Star plans.

That being said, even if the Rebels had access to long-range comms, your average Rebel cell, organized like guerilla cells in real life, would've had little practical use for one. Even as the Rebellion gathered strength and grew larger, use of long-range comms still would've remained few and far between, as any such comm signals would've lit them up like a Life Day tree for the Imperials hunting them down.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

There's still the question of why Leia didn't just upload the Death Star plans wikileaks style onto the Holonet. Everyone in the galaxy having access to the Death Star plans would have been quite a crimp in the Empire's plans.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

In the old EU the Imperials had pretty thorough control over the HoloNet and were able to shut down portions or aspects of it when they wanted to. That would make it even less safe to use the HoloNet to transmit critical information.

Also, it seems as though Leia was hoping to avoid Imperial attention (at least until Vader caught up with her over Tatooine), using her status as an ambassador and a senatorial figure to deter the Imperial fleet from interfering with her. If she'd openly transmitted the Death Star plans on the net, or if transmission of the plans could be traced back directly to her ship, it would be hard for her to maintain that deniability.

Leia seems to have gotten her start as an aid to the Rebellion by using her social and political status as a 'princess' to do things that common Imperial citizens couldn't get away with. Until she ran into Darth Vader (who has the authority and arrogance to simply override her normal immunity from stops, searches, and so on), that may have been working out for her rather well. In which case she would certainly keep the sensitive information well compartmentalized, off the ship's computers (the stormtroopers don't find the plans there), and NOT under any circumstances post it on Youtube from the ship's lounge or whatever.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

And that's assuming there even exists something akin to Youtube or Wikileaks, we got to remember that the large part why those exist in real life is that servers are in a country that's not willing to kill to shut them down.

I'm sure that no imperial Holonet provider would touch something akin to wikileaks with the proverbial 10ft pole since doing so would a great way to get a visit from the imperial authorities, with said visit most likely ending with the company assets siezed and employers arrested (and possibly executed).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

It's probably also unlikely that Leia wants to let people know how to build their own Death Star, or just the superlaser part of it. Uploading plans for the most powerful weapon ever created to wikileaks would probably not be a good idea. Not the greatest analogy, but it would be like someone who wants to get rid of nuclear weapons uploading detailed plans for how to build an ICBM. It might let someone discover a weakness that the ICBM has, but now everyone and their mother knows exactly how to build one which just means you're back to square one. Except worse.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I suppose this question would mostly be the case at the end of ANH. In which it could have made more sense for the Millennium Falcon to have taken the Death Star on a wild goose chase, while the plans were uploaded to the HoloNet. Besides the problem of it even being possible or wise, look at the current problem with internet surveillance. Now consider what happens when one can have droids and sentient computers handle data analysis. The Empire can likely trace those who connect to it in real time. Someone connecting from Yavin or Hoth would be identified as a threat, as there were no known settlements on those worlds.

I could see the Rebels not using the HoloNet for communications for the same reason that groups like ISIS are hesitant about using cell phones. Look at Bin Laden's final compound, it didn't have a single networked device within its walls. Which is partially why it took the CIA as long as it did to find him.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The plans were transmitted to Leia/Tantive IV though. "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies, I want to know what happen to the plans they sent you'
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Simon_Jester wrote:In the old EU the Imperials had pretty thorough control over the HoloNet and were able to shut down portions or aspects of it when they wanted to. That would make it even less safe to use the HoloNet to transmit critical information.
Restricted to the Core systems, selected Imperial command facilities in the Outer Rim, and, later, to Super Star Destroyer, if I remember the old EU correctly.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Crazedwraith wrote:The plans were transmitted to Leia/Tantive IV though. "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies, I want to know what happen to the plans they sent you'
According to the former EU, it was at relatively close range, from Rebel agents caught in a planetary blockade. Perhaps Rogue One will make it more plain what happened there.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Crazedwraith wrote:The plans were transmitted to Leia/Tantive IV though. "Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by rebel spies, I want to know what happen to the plans they sent you'
According to the former EU, it was at relatively close range, from Rebel agents caught in a planetary blockade. Perhaps Rogue One will make it more plain what happened there.
While we don't know for sure, that does make sense. After all a short range "we have no other choice" transmition makes more sense, then risking detection and interception (and thus mission failure) with a long range communication as your first choice.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

And, it would fit with how the Rebs got the information on the second Death Star, mainly through a trail of Bothan corpses who died to hand-carry the information to the top Rebel brass.

Well, that last bit was more implied by Mon Mothma's briefing than anything else.

(of course, in the former EU, that was the stepping stone Borsk Fey'lya used to gain power in the New Republic, and put himself in a position to seal its doom, but that's all non-canon now, and thank fuck for that)
hunter5
Padawan Learner

Post by hunter5 »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:And, it would fit with how the Rebs got the information on the second Death Star, mainly through a trail of Bothan corpses who died to hand-carry the information to the top Rebel brass.

Well, that last bit was more implied by Mon Mothma's briefing than anything else.

(of course, in the former EU, that was the stepping stone Borsk Fey'lya used to gain power in the New Republic, and put himself in a position to seal its doom, but that's all non-canon now, and thank fuck for that)
I always assumed the Bothans died in the process of getting the information (I blame Shadow of the Empire book)
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

hunter5 wrote:I always assumed the Bothans died in the process of getting the information (I blame Shadow of the Empire book)
That's also a possibility.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Does holonet have enough bandwidth to transmit the plans in a reasonable time ?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

bilateralrope wrote:Does holonet have enough bandwidth to transmit the plans in a reasonable time ?
I suppose it depends on how the plans were stored but considering that Holonet transmitions seem to involved real time holograms being projected I suspect that there should enough bandwith to transmit the death star in a form that's still readble within reasonble timeframe.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Even if we assume that the bandwidth was there and that each rebel cell has a good quality long range communications device it is highly unlikely that any individual cell is going to have the coordinates of other cells, let alone a major rebel HQ to facilitate that sort of communication.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

FaxModem1 wrote:There's still the question of why Leia didn't just upload the Death Star plans wikileaks style onto the Holonet. Everyone in the galaxy having access to the Death Star plans would have been quite a crimp in the Empire's plans.
Ah but then all the pro Imperial people in the Galaxy would also start looking at the plans, and might quickly warn the Empire of the stations absurdly dumb weakness. And while Leia didn't know if it even had such a weakness, if it did not then transmitting the plans would be futile anyway.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Sea Skimmer wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:There's still the question of why Leia didn't just upload the Death Star plans wikileaks style onto the Holonet. Everyone in the galaxy having access to the Death Star plans would have been quite a crimp in the Empire's plans.
Ah but then all the pro Imperial people in the Galaxy would also start looking at the plans, and might quickly warn the Empire of the stations absurdly dumb weakness. And while Leia didn't know if it even had such a weakness, if it did not then transmitting the plans would be futile anyway.
If your moon-sized battlestation's only weakness is a secondary 2-meter wide exhaust port which requires a force user being also a good starfighter pilot and a sacrifice of 90% of enemy pilots to exploit, I think you did a good job.