Abrams: Rey's parents not in Episode VII.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Abrams: Rey's parents not in Episode VII.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

He seems to have backtracked a bit, but it sounds like Abrams just let slip that Luke is not Rey's father, unless this is misdirection.

If so, I'm half pleased because its not the obvious choice, half-disappointed because it makes the hints in Episode VII come off as a manipulative bait and switch leading to a contrived twist.

Also, apparently there is speculation about weather the lead of Rogue One is Rey's mother.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/04/15/st ... ey-parents
Star Wars: The Force Awakens
Posted April 15 2016 — 9:42 PM EDT

UPDATE: After the Q&A, EW caught up with J.J. Abrams and he clarified his comments. The director says he was only trying to point out that The Force Awakens builds up the mystery of Rey’s parents without resolving it. “What I meant was that she doesn’t discover them in Episode VII. Not that they may not already be in her world,” Abrams said.

EARLIER: J.J. Abrams and Chris Rock sat down for a lively discussion Friday night at the Tribeca Film Festival that touched on everything from television to moviemaking — and yes, the galaxy far, far away.

During the audience Q&A portion of the pair’s chat, the first in the festival’s Directors series of talks, a young boy drew cheers from the crowd and an answer (of sorts) from Abrams when he asked the Star Wars: The Force Awakens director who Rey’s parents are.

SEE ALSO
Daisy Ridley on whether Jyn Erso from 'Rogue One' is Rey's mother
J.J. Abrams explains why Leia hugged Rey in 'The Force Awakens'
“Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII,” he told the audience. “So I can’t possibly say in this moment who they are. But I will say it is something that Rey thinks about, too.”

That rules out a number of characters that fans have been speculating about, including theories that Rey could be Luke Skywalker’s daughter or the daughter of General Leia Organa, which would make her related to Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren. Rey’s story picks up again in Rian Johnson’s still-untitled Episode VIII, arriving Dec. 15, 2017.

Read on for more highlights from Rock and Abrams’ sit-down.

Why The Force Awakens needed to bridge Star Wars’ past and future
Rock praised Abrams for how he wove Star Wars’ original characters into the new story of The Force Awakens. “In the wrong hands it could have been the corniest s— ever, but you did it so artfully.”

Abrams responded that he wanted the film to “reclaim the specific story that was happening” in Return of the Jedi, and while some have lamented The Force Awakens’ similarities to A New Hope, he says, “we very consciously tried to borrow familiar beats so the rest of the story could hang on something that we knew was Star Wars.”

He also said The Force Awakens needed to serve as a bridge from where the Star Wars galaxy left off and where it will go next. “It needed to establish itself as something familiar with a sense of where it’s going to a new land, which is very much what [Episodes] VIII and IX do.”

Image Credit: Monica Schipper/Getty Images for Tribeca Film Festival
He got emotional while filming Luke and Rey’s meeting
Rock had high praise for the conclusion of The Force Awakens — saying that if they handed out Oscars for Best Ending, it could win — and Abrams spoke a bit about what it was like filming with Mark Hamill and Daisy Ridley.

“Getting to Luke was the whole story,” he said, adding that Hamill was initially “a little resistant” to his character’s presence (or lack thereof) in the film and wondered if the big reveal at the end would seem like a joke.

Between shots on that final scene, filmed with a very small crew that had to ascend those many, many steps climbed by Rey in the film, Abrams told Rock realized something: Hamill was the same age that Alec Guinness was when he played Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The director pulled up the binary sunset scene from A New Hope on his phone as he looked at Hamill wearing those robes. “I literally started to tear up,” Abrams said.

Inspiration for Alias came during Felicity
Abrams came up with the idea for Jennifer Garner’s spying Sydney Bristow while writing the early episodes of his first television series, Felicity. As he told it, inspiration came via the lack of a bad guy on a series about college students.

“We were trying to figure out what the story was, and we were on episode 5 and , ‘If Felicity were a spy I’d know how to write the show.’ So I kind of banked that.” Later, ABC came calling and asked if he’d create a show with a young woman at the center — and Alias was born.

Abrams added that he wrote the series with Jennifer Garner in mind, but at least one studio executive had reservations about casting her. “Someone at the studio said, ‘I don’t know, is she hot enough?’ … That exec is no longer there. And now she’s Jennifer Garner. It worked out.”

He got spoiled working with Tom Cruise
The first film Abrams directed was Mission: Impossible III, on which Tom Cruise served as the film’s star and also its producer.

Cruise offered him the movie after seeing the first few seasons of Alias, he recalled, and people warned him against working with an actor who was also producing the film, but that Cruise made it clear that on set, Abrams was the director and he was the actor, and that was it.

“Every day he was the greatest, incredibly collaborative,” he said. Cruise was so great, in fact, that Abrams added, “When I went to do Star Trek, the next movie I did, it was weird not having Tom there.”

Lost could have ended up as a TV movie
Lost fans might have spent much less time on the island if Abrams had known how to end the twisty, smoke-monster-filled saga when he began it. During the “scramble” to write, cast, and shoot the pilot over an 11-week period, the studio head at ABC left and a new one came in who wanted Abrams to film an end scene and make it a TV movie.

The director said his response was, “If you can tell me how to end this show, what that scene is,” he’d do it. Evidently, the exec didn’t, and the show became what we know it to be now. Abrams then praised Lost showrunners Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse, who “did things we never could have imagined when creating this show.”

He knows he overdid it with the lens flares
As he’s admitted before, Abrams knows he used this technique too much while making films like Star Trek.

“We had an idea that the future was so bright, and it just couldn’t be contained … I overdid it, and then I went further, and then the second Star Trek movie, I went nuts. We’ve all made mistakes. Mine was with light.”

And because they used high-powered flashlights to achieve the flares, aiming them directly at the camera lens, he added that sometimes they’d get footage back where they couldn’t see what was happening. “I realized it was preposterous, and I had to pull back.”

A franchise proposal
Since Abrams has helmed installments in both the Star Wars and Star Trek franchises to critical and box office success, Rock had a request for Abrams’ next big-budget project.

“Can you direct the Fantastic Four?” Rock asked him. “Can someone save it? I love the Fantastic Four and they keep f—ing it up!”
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: Abrams: Rey's parents not in Episode VII.

Post by Vympel »

1. Anyone who thinks Jyn is Rey's mother is a moron.
2. I'm glad JJ walked those comments back.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I highly doubt Disney has decided a damn thing about anything. They want to be conservative and they want options open. The writers and directors at times might have personally thought this or that, but Disney won't give a damn about what they think until they have a script too far filmed to radically change. Since every movie has a different director nothing the prior director thought or wanted can be expected to stick unless a whole slew of Disney money commandos also think its a good idea. We know they didn't have a strong Episode VIII script when they made VII given the big delay imposed, so all the more reason to think much was not at all decided. That's a plus and a minus, whenever I write anything I always see possible branches, and I like fan fiction which is the definition of that, and it just is no surprise at all that its very ambiguous when corporation takes over from a single individual. Can't blame Abrams for a thing, mistspoken, changed or what, it's not his call at the end of the day and I wouldn't want someone like him to be trapped either.

Glad to see he figured out how dumb the lens flares are. Seriously... I actually like those in a Star Trek context since, but one, at the start maybe because it looks neat, once like the way the TNG opening was. He was being a complete moron even in the first movie spamming them everywhere.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I highly doubt Disney has decided a damn thing about anything.
Daisy Ridley already knows who her parents are, she has said.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Do you think she'd quit the job if they modified what they might have told her several years ago? I think people are wasting way too much time speculating in general anyway. After all this is a series that got started with Alderaan being the galactic capital and everyone was armed with a sword and shield.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Orginally Vader and Anakin were different characters as well the "bad father" and the "good father" as Lucas put it, but at some point during writing Empire Strikes Back they merged to a single character.

So we shouldn't take anything that's not already part of the story as solid evidence.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Didn't Abrams also state that John Harrison wasn't Kahn? Not sure we can actually trust his word with issues like this. I am partial to the idea that it was Rey's mother that left her on Jakku to protect her and that Luke is her father. The dialog with Maz Katana seems to fit this idea.
Sea Skimmer wrote:Do you think she'd quit the job if they modified what they might have told her several years ago? I think people are wasting way too much time speculating in general anyway. After all this is a series that got started with Alderaan being the galactic capital and everyone was armed with a sword and shield.
The fact that there are plot holes is what gives us something to debate and analyze. If the film had a perfect plot(as if there could be such a thing), then there would be nothing to talk about.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Agreed that a) Abrams' word isn't good for much when it comes to film spoilers, and b) it would make sense for Luke and an as-yet-unknown woman to be Rey's mother, with the mother leaving Rey on Jakku to protect her. Its also a good idea to have the mother hide Rey and then die or get captured or something before she could return, and Luke be left believing Rey is dead, because it helps explain why Luke was so devastated that he disappeared for years in the middle of a galactic crisis, and dodges the implications of Luke having abandoned his child which I've seen raised in relation to Rey being Luke's daughter.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

If you want to be super grammatically pedantic, Luke could be Rey's dad and the statement would hold true if we hadn't seen Rey's mother. Then we'd have seen a parent of Rey not 'Rey's Parents' (plural)
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

“Rey’s parents are not in Episode VII,”
Captain Phasma is Rey's mother confirmed.