Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by Joun_Lord »

Adam Reynolds wrote:The problem with that analogy is that someone living in South Carolina has no real ability to leave his home state and fight for the Union as a result of the economic conditions of the time. This does not apply to Star Wars, in which Imperial soldiers are free to defect in droves, and many do exactly this in both versions of the EU. In the new canon even Wedge Antillies trained as an Imperial pilot. Even going by the films we have the fact that Biggs went to the Imperial Academy and still joined the Rebellion by the time of Yavin.

There is also the fact that General Sherman would have made Tarkin proud, which weakens the moral superiority of the Union in this context. Nothing in any source has done the same for the Rebel Alliance. The same could be said for American strategic bombing in WW2, in which a German fighter pilot could in some ways claim the moral high ground in that he was fighting to prevent bombs from dropping on cities. When you have an internal rebellion like the Rebel Alliance that clearly has moral superiority, it is much harder to justify fighting it than when you have an external enemy like the Second World War.

The problem is that the Empire has committed just about every war crime one can find throughout modern history, while the Rebel Alliance has not.
Some yokel living in South Carolina could have fought for the Union if he wanted to. There were trains around carrying passengers, horses could be rode, could even walk like alot of escaped slaves no doubt did. Most SC hicks probably didn't want to join the Union because as far as they knew they were fighting for their state, their people, their rights (to own other people) against an oppressive federal government that had the audacity, the sheer nerve, the gumption to not bend over and give the Southern shitbags everything they wanted. As far as they knew they were doing the right thing. We can now see they clearly weren't, thanks Captain Hindsight!!!! But at the time with the information they had they didn't know. That doesn't excuse their actions, what excuse can be given for fighting for the states right to own other people, but it explains it somewhat.

Imperials could have defected too but that assumes the Imperials knew enough to defect. The Empire is an evil organization, it does some pretty evil shit. It probably doesn't advertise the evil shit it does like slavery and genocide. Its not going to plaster across the holonet "Imperials perform Mario buttstomp with Star Destroyer on protestors while Tarkin kicks puppies" or "Empire completely drains a planet's water because it can and because its evil, maniacal laugh maniacal laugh." No, any evil the Empire does is going to be done "behind closed doors" so to speak. Until Alderaan was kersploded the average Imperial citizen probably didn't think there was anything bad happening under Palpatine. In the old EU the Battle of Yavin was the impetus many people had to join the Rebellion both because it showed the Empire could be beaten but more importantly it opened the eyes of many to just how evil the Empire was. Blowing up a planet full of people tends to be bad PR.

Defectees like Wedge and Hobbie did so only after seeing atrocities committed by the Empire both in the old EU and the new EU according to my bit of research (though Wedge was apparently not an Imperial in the old EU). Biggs joined the Rebellion after the same atrocity Hobbie experienced in the old EU though in the new EU so far he just joined......because. Everyone else who hadn't saw the Empire kicking puppies probably didn't know enough to know they were chilling with some not cool dudes.

And don't you be dissing Sherman brah, Sherman did nothing wrong in his quest to make the South. NOTHING!!! !!!

I'm kidding about the above. There seems to be some debate whether or not Sherman actually committed war crimes. Certainly he went a bit overboard with his stroll to the sea but there evidence of actual war crimes seems a bit more iffy. If you ask any Southerner Sherman was the red headed devil himself, a scourge that stripped the countryside clean and murdered and raped (probably in that order) every Southern Belle in his path. Others point out that Sherman was remarkably restrained during his march, didn't destroy every goddamn thing, seemed to not actively target civilians and the burnings of Atlanta and Columbia might have been partially done by the Confeddies, the amount of damage overblown by hysterical Southern shits whining that Sherman had whipped them so bad their modern inbreed descendants are feelings it, the civilians were evacuated before hand and the butthurt it still causes makes it well worth any damage caused.
Adam Reynolds wrote:Clone Wars had the same problems with its political episodes. Padme almost came across as a good guy only become she was supposed to be rather than because her points made any sense. A major war is not the time to cut military spending for the benefit of social welfare programs as she wanted to do.

Yet the Kaminioan was portrayed as largely evil and out for profits when she wanted to expand production of the Clone Army, even though it was often the only defense against the CIS armies.
Yeah Padme was an idiot through and through. Stupid to go to Naboo as as child queen to try to liberate her world in a fight that would have been doomed........DOOOOOOOMED!!!!! if not for stupid amounts of luck. Stupid to vote against having an Army of the Republic despite the CIS building its army including the guys that only a decade before invaded her planet. Stupid to think she could negotiate with them despite the negotiations being attacked by terrorists that were suspected to be under orders from Count Dooky which shows really bad faith negotiating on the CIS's part. Stupid to get together with Darth Dumbass though they were perfect for each other, both emotionally stunted sheltered people with little real world experience beyond little orphan Anie being a slave. Stupid to continue to be against the war despite the Seps wanting to destroy the Republic and worse.

I mean we the viewer knew Padme was in the right to oppose the war, to want Palpatine to give up emergency powers, that they Jedi hadn't rebelled after turning Palps into a literal butthead. Padme didn't. She was opposed to the war, the army, Palpatine's thunderous applause because she was the good guy and had to be right even if it didn't make sense in universe.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I don't think Padme was an idiot so much as inexperienced. She was young, not even 30 when she died, and prior to the invasion of Naboo, and during the years between Episode I and Episode II, probably lived an exceedingly sheltered life as part of the upper class on a peaceful world. I think that with time, and better guidance, she probably could have been a fantastic leader.

And she was right, as you noted, in about half the calls she made (because Palpatine's war was a con).

Her choice in lovers, however, was abysmal.

Edit: The biggest morons were the adult politicians who thought making a child monarch was a good idea. Fuck them.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

To put into perspective how young Padme was:

She was what, 14 when she lead her people during the invasion of Naboo? That's 9th. Grade.

She was, serving as a Senator in, what, her early 20s? So the equivalent of someone fresh out of college.

She was in her late 20s when she died. The US does not consider one legally eligible to run for President (of one country, on one planet), until they are 35.

So yeah.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Problem isn't so much Amidala's age as it's the fact that Naboo's monarch has signifigant political power that said I suspect that a leader of a planet in the republic is closer to a (USA) state governor then the president of the USA.

In modern (western) constitutional monarchies the age of the monarch matters less as the monarch has little to no political power, however in Naboo the monarch seems to have signifigant political power and since it's an elective monarchy (yes those exist the imperial throne of the Holy Roman Empire is a good example) there shouldn't be any reason to set an age limit for the monarch especially since there is terms of service and limit on the amount of terms a monarch can serve and as if that wasn't bad enough Amidala wasn't the youngest monarch to serve either.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

The ruler of a planet would only be one of a great many in the Republic, but they would potentially control more territory and people, and have a more complicated job, than that of US President.

And while a child monarch would never be a good idea, yes, the fact that she has real power and responsibility makes it infinitely worse than if it were a merely symbolic position.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Tbh only way I'd think a child monarch would justifible was if something akin to what happened to Sweden when the current king took the throne (mind you he was adult when it happend) where the previous crown prince died before taking the throne so the throne would pass to the grandchild of the reigning monarch, granted that would happen mostly in herditary monarchies, since in an elective monarchy all valid candidates would have to be underage for that to happen and IIRC elector and candidate were essentially the same thing in elective monarchies in real life.

EDIT:we're ofc speaking of modern western style constitutional monarchies here not medival ones.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Honestly it wouldn't hurt if in the new canon they quietly establish that if the monarch of Naboo is below a certain age, most of the day-to-day business of running the planet is actually taken care of by ministers. But TPM kind of throws a monkey wrench in that by showing Padme (who I never bought as a 14-year-old) ordering troops and all that. Admittedly it seems to only have been her immediate security detachment, and Naboo's joke for a military... perhaps Captain Panaka did most of the actual ordering about?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Well with TMP the situation was hardly "typical" and Amidala was never snown to lead troops into battle before the Trade Federation occupation, so you could dismiss that as not being the normal state of affairs.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Khaat wrote:This is Seven Samurai as a prequel to Hidden Fortress. There will be survivors from the team. If nothing else, Jyn Erso has to live long enough to abandon her daughter on Jakku....
I know that's a popular theory, and I guess it's ok. But in a timeline it is a bit of a stretch. IIRC, it's a 3-5 year stretch between ANH and ROTJ and TFA is 30 years post that and Rey appears to be 20ish. So low ball it's a 33 year stretch which means Jyn's not getting knocked up for another 13 years after the movie.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Knife wrote:
Khaat wrote:This is Seven Samurai as a prequel to Hidden Fortress. There will be survivors from the team. If nothing else, Jyn Erso has to live long enough to abandon her daughter on Jakku....
I know that's a popular theory, and I guess it's ok. But in a timeline it is a bit of a stretch. IIRC, it's a 3-5 year stretch between ANH and ROTJ and TFA is 30 years post that and Rey appears to be 20ish. So low ball it's a 33 year stretch which means Jyn's not getting knocked up for another 13 years after the movie.
I don't know. On the one hand, that seems cliche and predictable.

On the other hand, cliche and predictable seems to be the name of the game plot-wise for the new films thus far (admittedly we only have one film to really base that on), and given their success with Marvel, I can totally see Disney wanting to tie their different films together in a similar manner for Star Wars.

The main thing regarding Rey's parentage is that I'll be a little disappointed if Rey isn't Luke's daughter, even though that seems predictable too, because its so heavily hinted at in Episode VII that it would seem like a lame attempt at a bait and switch/twist if she wasn't.

I suppose Jyn and Luke could have been lovers post-RotJ. To the grief of Mara Jade fans everywhere. :D

Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

That would put Jyn in her mid-thirties? In a post-Empire galaxy? Seems like good timing to settle down a little and have a kid.

One of the RO trailers gives me the vibe that Jyn is at least Force sensitive. The crystals her father is knowledgeable of - to the point that she wears one on a cord around her neck - are possibly related to not only the Death Star's effect (suggesting the "crystalline structure" of Starkiller Base from TFA will turn out to be the same thing) but to the Force and/or lightsabres somehow.
TRR wrote:I suppose Jyn and Luke could have been lovers post-RotJ. To the grief of Mara Jade fans everywhere.
Mara Jade could be her code-name while a double agent for the Empire....
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I don't think Padme was an idiot so much as inexperienced. She was young, not even 30 when she died, and prior to the invasion of Naboo, and during the years between Episode I and Episode II, probably lived an exceedingly sheltered life as part of the upper class on a peaceful world. I think that with time, and better guidance, she probably could have been a fantastic leader.

And she was right, as you noted, in about half the calls she made (because Palpatine's war was a con).

Her choice in lovers, however, was abysmal.

Edit: The biggest morons were the adult politicians who thought making a child monarch was a good idea. Fuck them.
Idiocy and inexperience tends to be thrown around interchangeably. There is a reason that youth being synonymous with stupidity is a thing.

Yes the biggest morons were the ones having a child lead, a child in such a position of power even as a figurehead. Its a bit like having Wesley piloting the Enterprise, even the smartest kid is still going to be a dumbass just from lack of experience. If the plot hadn't went of it way to make sure Wesley and Amidala were right shit would have been pretty bad.

The fact Padme is so sheltered alongside Anakin is why I never had a problem with the corny diaologue of Episode II. There are two emotionally stunted people trying to romance each other. One is a spoiled politician with no social life and the other is a former slave turned Jedi who never had a social life. Their wooing of each other would be just as we saw, cringey and pathetic.

The thing about Padme being right is she was only right because the plot said she was. She had no idea the Palpatine was running both sides of the war, that the Seps were puppets, that the Clones were pawns either following as far as they knew lawful orders for their supreme commander or dudes with microchips in their heads because we can't have the Clones be shown to do bad things on their own, that Palps was anything other then a guy with a bit too much power leading fighting a war or anything else. We knew all that stuff, the viewers, but unless she had access to a Mr Rental she didn't. She was right without any logic or reason, she did the equivalent of shooting randomly into a crowd because of some vague notions of a bad person in there with no evidence or anything and killing Hitler, only right by random chance.
The Romulan Republic wrote:The main thing regarding Rey's parentage is that I'll be a little disappointed if Rey isn't Luke's daughter, even though that seems predictable too, because its so heavily hinted at in Episode VII that it would seem like a lame attempt at a bait and switch/twist if she wasn't.

Predictable but it'd fit the them of Star Wars, the saga of Skywalker. If Rey is just some random girl then that kinda doesn't mesh.

I'd personally love if Finn was Luke's kid. Because Finn Skywalker would be awesome because Finn is awesome. Really both Finn and Rey are awesome.

Say what you will about Ep7, how its a rip-off of ANH, how Rey is a Mary Sue, how Kylo really carries the family tradition of being a whiny bitch, or anything else, but I think one thing most could agree on (probably) is Finn and Rey are some likeable characters.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Oh, yes.

The characters are fine for the most part, even very good. Episode VII's problems are almost entirely plot-related.

Edit: The only major problems I have with the characters are that Phasma is entirely wasted, that Snoke is thus far a somewhat flat and lifeless villain, and that Luke, Leia, and Han never had a reunion (and that's more a plot quibble).

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I agree with everything about that especially Phasma and Snuke. Phasma was built up to be a badass and went down like a chump. Everything about Phasma should have had her be the Boba Fett of 7. She is imposing, awesome looking, sweet custom armor plus a woman in some of the most sensible armor fucking ever to the point people were bitching because it was impossible to tell she was a woman. I freaking loved that, I hate armor with "boob cups". I soooooooo hope she returns in 8 or 9 and actually gets more screen time. Plus Gwendoline Christie is absolutely adorable. And its weird to say that about a woman who would tower over me.

Snork was just boring. Plus he's yet another Andy Serkis CG character. I think he might have had more gravitas if it was actually Andy Serkis playing him and not more mo-cap crap.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I don't mind that Snoke is CG. Gollum (to use another Serkis character as an example) was CG, and probably my favourite character in the LotR films.

Snoke sucks because he's just (thus far anyway) kind of a more boring Palpatine substitute.

Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

My main problem with Snoke as CG is its just another Serkis CG character and one that didn't even need to exist. Gollum was good, Caesar was decent even if I hated the movie he was in. Those were though two character that needed to be CG. Snoke is just some big hologram guy with a fucked up face that didn't need to be a big hologram guy with a fucked up face. Serkis is a good actor even without the mo-cap suit. But they had to echo (rip-off) chimp eyed old lady hologram Palpatine from ESB. What would it have changed to actually just have it be Serkis as the hologram, just him all see through and junk? For a movie that prides itself on how its practical over CG it just seems weird to have some wannabe Gollum.

Yeah though Snoke was pretty boring. Maybe its nostalgia talking but both versions of Palptaine (old lady and Ian McDiarmid) had far more....I dunno, oomph, screen presence, actually held interest though delivery and dialogue. Snoke didn't. His dialogue didn't really grab me personally (though thats just me), he didn't really drop any bombshells or say anything too interesting. The delivery was very flat and the weird way he talked was kinda annoying.

Maybe he'll get better once we see more of him that isn't a hologram but I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

We'll see. Snoke Hologram is just that, introduction to the character sort of and a wink and nod to Palpy from ESB to set the stage that this is Star Wars. I echo some of your sentiment though, that I hope the character is just Serkis (with some makeup) and not a CGI character.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Kind'a fun and not entirely impossible theory on what happens to the Rogue One team after the movie.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QOpYMsFXQ[/youtube]
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I still think Rey is the long, lost child of Luke and Obi-Wan's heretofore unrevealed daughter. Either we'll meet Obi-Wan's baby mama in his solo movie or it'll turn out that Duchess Satine of Mandalore gave birth to their love child in secret.

I think Jyn Erso is just a big old red herring.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Anacronian wrote:Kind'a fun and not entirely impossible theory on what happens to the Rogue One team after the movie.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QOpYMsFXQ[/youtube]
I really don't see how the entire team could possibly be turned. I could see a character or two, possibly even Jyn, but the whole team seems a bit far fetched.
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Especially considering the Celebration spoiler :/
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

What happens to them?
*G'Kar voice...
"Dead...dead...dead....dead....dead....dead....dead...."
I thinking near 100% -certainty
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Spoiler
The one about Donnie Yen's character not surviving?
eMeM wrote:Especially considering the Celebration spoiler :/
Sorry this is backwards, but is the only way to make spoiler tags work.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Burak Gazan wrote:What happens to them?
*G'Kar voice...
"Dead...dead...dead....dead....dead....dead....dead...."
I thinking near 100% -certainty
Anyone who thinks they're going to have the entire team die, especially in one film (thus not only going way, way darker than the Star Wars films have ever gone before, but also eliminating any chance to use them in further productions) is likely to be very, very mistaken. Frankly, I think this theory is nothing but wishful thinking from the grimdark fan crowd.

One will probably die in this film if they want to go darker, especially since Vader is on the field. Maybe two or three, tops. My money would be on the Force using guy dying in a fight with Vader. Maybe Jyn will have a love interest who dies if they want to go for a tearjerker ending (which would conveniently leave her free to have sex with Luke and be the mother of Rey, if that theory is valid :wink: ).

More than that? Hell no.

Edit: I'll admit, having everyone but Jyn live would be a surprising twist.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Anyone who thinks they're going to have the entire team die, especially in one film (thus not only going way, way darker than the Star Wars films have ever gone before, but also eliminating any chance to use them in further productions) is likely to be very, very mistaken. Frankly, I think this theory is nothing but wishful thinking from the grimdark fan crowd.
Maybe, but this isn't a "saga" film. It's entirely possible that these anthology stories could be darker (or even lighter) than what we're used to seeing in a Star Wars "Episode."