Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by DarthPooky »

:shock: :D
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Rogue One Teaser

Post by biostem »

Is this the movie that's supposed to cover the Rebel Alliance's acquisition of the Death Star plans?
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

yes
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

The teaser seems a little generic at times, and some of the effects a bit unpolished, but God, seeing Spoiler
ISDs and AT-ATs and the Death Star and all back in the movies is kind of awesome.
Also, another female protagonist, but one who seems somewhat different, personality-wise from Rey. A bit darker, maybe.

No sign of Vader yet, but maybe they're saving that.

Edit: And yes, I'm spoiler tagging for a teaser. Don't want to spoil the joy of seeing it for yourselves.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

First actual teaser (don't you just love teasers for teasers? :roll: ) has been released!

I'm rather impressed by what I see so far. I've somewhat warmed to this particular story being told, for nothing else except it being set just a few years (even months?) before the original movie and seeing a return to the OT era with updated effects.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

I'm disappoint enough with EpVII to skip this. Which sod's law means it's probably going to be awesome.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:I'm disappoint enough with EpVII to skip this. Which sod's law means it's probably going to be awesome.
Why? Its not like its the same people making the two films. Different director. Different cast. Different group of writers.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Because I'm not interested in Disney's Star Wars?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Based on one film?

It hardly seems fair to judge these filmmakers' work on someone else's work.

I mean, if you don't want to see it you don't want to see it, but basing that on VII... well, I'd give it another film to determine if VII's problems were with the people making Episode VII, or with Disney's approach to Star Wars in general.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The camera work looks better than Abrams' version, that's for sure. The Camera actually seems stable in all action scenes so far.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

As a matter of objective fact, the single greatest shot in the teaser is:

That, colleagues, is an ISD-1. Not an ISD-2, no. That would be lazy. That's a fully realised fucking Mk 1.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

I was rather shocked yesterday when I ran across an ad for the teaser trailer to be released today. Seriously? An advertisement for the advertisement?!

Oh, and, yes, I'm looking forward to this. Spoiler
Though I had to re-watch that bit where she's throwing down in melee with Stormtroopers: had to make sure she had a weapon in hand and wasn't merely bitch-slapping the one on his knees.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Vympel wrote:As a matter of objective fact, the single greatest shot in the teaser is.
You keep using that word. I do not think that it means what you think it means.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Well that looks pretty sweet.

Was that a Grand Admiral strutting around in his white uniform?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I rather wish they had done this film first. This looks to be something that would please a larger selection of the fanbase in many ways, Though I wonder what it will do with the plot of Rebels? I had previously wondered if the Jedi from that end up dying to protect the Death Star plans.

The trailer certainly looks interesting from what we see. I liked that it used variations in imagery that we are used to, showing Rebels running towards AT-ATs rather than away and showing the classic Star Destroyer defending rather than attacking.

One issue I wonder about goes back to Vader's line of dialog from ANH, There will be no one to stop us this time". It makes you wonder who stopped them last time. While the Jedi are a reasonable suggestion, as I mention above, another possibility is that it was political. Something like the Imperial Senate giving opposition to the military. Showing whatever this is would be an interesting issue.

I wonder if, wild speculation Spoiler
The character we see bowing down is a former friend that becomes an enemy who our heroine faces in the finale. I suspect when she is wearing an Imperial uniform she is actually undercover rather than turned as the trailer suggests. If that really was a plot point, there is no way they would spoil it this early.
The problem with TFA is that as a sequel, it fell into the trap of needing to be as big as the original and yet new. Personally I think it would have been a better story if it had instead been purely about the map to Luke and skipped the Starkiller Base plot. I actually think the real underlying problem is that it tried to do too much with too little screentime and development time. Combine that with the writing not actually being all that good, and we had the problems that we did.

Personally I would say that it tried to be the opposite of the prequels in every way possible, both good and bad. While it was certainly enjoyable, I don't think it actually had the same level of depth as the prequels.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well that looks pretty sweet.

Exactly what I was wondering and going to post about :P

This looks sweet. I'm still not 100% on the whole 'making Star Wars movies that aren't actually part of the trilogy' bit, but if it's going to look this good... then hell yes I can deal with that.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Vympel wrote:As a matter of objective fact, the single greatest shot in the teaser is:

That, colleagues, is an ISD-1. Not an ISD-2, no. That would be lazy. That's a fully realised fucking Mk 1.
That does look rather magnificent, I love the shot of the superlaser focusing dish being lowered onto the main superstructure of the Death Star as well. Upon rewatch, looks like we're getting some cool-looking ground combat as well, which was hardly explored in the OT if memory serves correctly.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Chimaera wrote:
Vympel wrote:As a matter of objective fact, the single greatest shot in the teaser is:

That does look rather magnificent, I love the shot of the superlaser focusing dish being lowered onto the main superstructure of the Death Star as well. Upon rewatch, looks like we're getting some cool-looking ground combat as well, which was hardly explored in the OT if memory serves correctly.
Fucking magnificent!

Also CrazedWraith... Lighten up, Francis.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Looks like this is going to be amazing.

PS. what's the main visual differenec between an ISD1 and ISD2? I always thought they looked very similar :s
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

There's a different superstructure on top of the bridge tower for one, and the eight heavy turrets on the dorsal flanks are different. On a 1, there are six twin-mount turbolasers and two twin-mount ion cannons (all very heavy ones, naturally) while on a 2, all eight are eight-gun barbette mountings. That' the two main differences IIRC.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

Even I am impressed by that ISDI. Game on ILM.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:Well that looks pretty sweet.

Maybe, his rank plaques are the same as a fleet Admiral like Piett in the TESB, but with one less rank cylinder (in Saxton's hypothetical that'd make him one step above fleet admiral) but it's not the Grand Admiral Insignia.

He's got dark trousers so he could also be an ISB officer like Yularen but it's unclear.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by NecronLord »

I've looked at a bit of preliminary scaling; it's possible to easily establish that the death star is over 70 km across, but I can't see any way to derive an upper limit value, so I'm not sure if they're going with the EU 120 km or the original 160 km diameter.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

I wonder if this is actually one of the last shots in the film, Devastator taking off to hunt down the tantive IV.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who