Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

eMeM
Padawan Learner

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by eMeM »

Adam Reynolds wrote: Sorry this is backwards, but is the only way to make spoiler tags work.
Yeah, this one.
Burak Gazan
Jedi Council Member

Post by Burak Gazan »

"I have traced the Rebel Spies to Her. Now, she is my only link to finding their secret Base!"

Seems pretty plain there. And Darth Vader aint known for being merciful. Or leaving loose ends
"Of course, what would really happen is that in Game 7, with the Red Sox winning 20-0 in the 9th inning, with two outs and two strikes on the last Cubs batter, a previously unseen meteor would strike the earth, instantly and forever wiping out all life on the planet, and forever denying the Red Sox a World Series victory..."
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

True.

But I'd still be shocked if a Disney Star Wars film wiped out the entire team in one film.

I'd figure slightly darker than standard, maybe two, three main character deaths tops.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Leia being his only link doesn't mean the team is dead; they could as easily be beyond his reach in other ways. Especially since he knows he needs prisoners to tell him where the base is; it would be very strange to intentionally not take any.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Quite.

It simply means that (presuming their isn't simply a continuity error), Leia is the only conspirator who's location he had an immediate lead on.

Given how many out of the way little worlds their are in Star Wars, how many largely wilderness planets with a spaceport on them, it can't actually be terribly hard to disappear for a while in Star Wars. Sure, Big Brother is probably watching on Coruscant, but not on Tatooine.

Also, if he had a choice between personally pursuing Jyn or Leia, I'm betting he'd pursue Leia. Leia is a big fish. Jyn, by comparison, probably isn't. Find evidence of Leia's guilt, and he can take out one of the Rebel ringleaders, maybe get a lead on Bail Organa too.
"I know its easy to be defeatist here because nothing has seemingly reigned Trump in so far. But I will say this: every asshole succeeds until finally, they don't. Again, 18 months before he resigned, Nixon had a sky-high approval rating of 67%. Harvey Weinstein was winning Oscars until one day, he definitely wasn't."-John Oliver

"The greatest enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."-General Von Clauswitz, describing my opinion of Bernie or Busters and third partiers in a nutshell.

I SUPPORT A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE TO REMOVE TRUMP FROM OFFICE.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

What is it with people trying to make Star Wars grimdark? This is supposed to be among the more optimistic science fiction settings, in which the light never goes out. While darkness often does serve to make the light all that much brighter, it never extinguishes the flame. Stealing the Death Star plans is an inferno, not the time for everyone to be wiped out.

Given that the question of life or death in this case is the only unknown, as we already know they succeed, it makes sense that it will be a strong question. Answering it in the negative is a little bit dark for Star Wars at this era.

Like the Knights of Ren idea, I am sure that a few characters will die, but it is unlikely that all of them will.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Also, it seems unlikely that the Rogue One team even knew Leia was the recipient of the transmitted plans - their orders were more likely "Obtain plans and then transmit them to X location at X time"

There really aren't any reason for the team to know about Leia.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Anacronian wrote:Also, it seems unlikely that the Rogue One team even knew Leia was the recipient of the transmitted plans - their orders were more likely "Obtain plans and then transmit them to X location at X time"

There really aren't any reason for the team to know about Leia.
Though the team could still have been links to the Rebel base rather than Leia if they were captured rather than killed or having escaped. Presumably all of them have been to Yavin, and if nothing else we know that Jyn and Cassian had been there and knew where it was. The droid did as well. It is specifically about Vader's comment in the films that "She is my only link to finding their secret base."

Actually now that I think about this, this comment is perhaps the strongest evidence against the Knights of Ren theory. If they defect, Vader would already know where the Rebel base was and have no reason to interrogate Leia. Also, another random thought is that Saw Gurrea's speech is actually about whether Jyn's father can be trusted. Jyn believes that he can, but Saw might have his doubts.

I also wonder if Vader's ANH comment that "There will be no one to stop us this time" refers to Krennic and petty Imperial politics getting in his way.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Adam Reynolds wrote:What is it with people trying to make Star Wars grimdark? This is supposed to be among the more optimistic science fiction settings, in which the light never goes out. While darkness often does serve to make the light all that much brighter, it never extinguishes the flame. Stealing the Death Star plans is an inferno, not the time for everyone to be wiped out.

Given that the question of life or death in this case is the only unknown, as we already know they succeed, it makes sense that it will be a strong question. Answering it in the negative is a little bit dark for Star Wars at this era.
Well, to be fair, it *is* a legitimately dark time in the Star Wars. The Empire is in more or less full control of the galaxy, the Rebels may not even be an Alliance yet and in any case are only a small resistance compared to the Empire, and the Imperials just finished the Death Star...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Adam Reynolds wrote: Though the team could still have been links to the Rebel base rather than Leia if they were captured rather than killed or having escaped. Presumably all of them have been to Yavin, and if nothing else we know that Jyn and Cassian had been there and knew where it was. The droid did as well. It is specifically about Vader's comment in the films that "She is my only link to finding their secret base."

Actually now that I think about this, this comment is perhaps the strongest evidence against the Knights of Ren theory. If they defect, Vader would already know where the Rebel base was and have no reason to interrogate Leia. Also, another random thought is that Saw Gurrea's speech is actually about whether Jyn's father can be trusted. Jyn believes that he can, but Saw might have his doubts.

I also wonder if Vader's ANH comment that "There will be no one to stop us this time" refers to Krennic and petty Imperial politics getting in his way.
You might be right, Though it seemed that in the trailer Jyn was brought to Yavin Base as a prisoner (handcuffs and all that) so the rebels might have "put a bag over her head" to hide the location of their hidden base from her.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

That seems to just be the early situation in which she doesn't trust them and they don't trust her:
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

A familiar shape in the bottom of the frame.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Hardly supricing though IIRC the Ghost is a modified light freighter (Like the Falcon) so seeing a ship that looks like it even if it's not the Ghost itself shouldn't be that odd, that said the fact that ship seems to be missing the integrated sublight shuttle does suggest this could be the Ghost. Still even that doesn't mean anymore then that the ship itself will survive the Rebels animated series but doesn't say anything about the fate of the crew.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

Yeah, but it's a cool detail ;)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

eMeM wrote:Yeah, but it's a cool detail ;)
true. I wonder if they made a new model/textures for this movie or is just the animated series model but out of focus so you don't notice that it's not exactly photo-realistic.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

Question: do we know who that x-wing pilot with moustache is? Around 1:58...
Could it be Biggs?
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

ANGELUS wrote:Question: do we know who that x-wing pilot with moustache is? Around 1:58...
Could it be Biggs?
Biggs wasn't blonde. That guy's shown up in a couple of trailers now, though, and was also featured in one of the behind the scenes things they did a couple of months ago, so I'm sure we'll find out.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Shroom Man 777
FUCKING DICK-STABBER!

Post by Shroom Man 777 »

Maybe he dyed his hair black after the events of Rogue One so the Empire won't know his true identity! :P

There can be an Expanded Universe story about how he had to go on a dangerous mission into Hutt Space and escape some Dark Side temple after getting a rare kind of hair dye that mixes spice, crushed skull-studded giant cortosis shoulder pads and grounded up holocrons diluted in the emo-blood of some dead Sith Lord who wrist-slitted his tattoo-studded flesh and bled himself out while listening to the cursed echoes of this ancient Dark Side hymn called Pinkin Lark - Skrawling in my Cin.
Image "DO YOU WORSHIP HOMOSEXUALS?" - Curtis Saxton (source)
shroom is a lovely boy and i wont hear a bad word against him - LUSY-CHAN!
Shit! Man, I didn't think of that! It took Shroom to properly interpret the screams of dying people :D - PeZook
Shroom, I read out the stuff you write about us. You are an endless supply of morale down here. :p - an OWS street medic
Pink Sugar Heart Attack!
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Is anyone else reading Catalyst now? I'm about halfway through, but it's already reconciled the involvement of the Geonosians in the Death Star's construction with the continuity conflicts that I'm expecting to see in the movie.
Rogue 9

Post by Rogue 9 »

The Chinese trailer. There isn't much new in there, but there's a couple of shots I don't believe were in anything earlier.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Spoiler
Was it that the Geonosians built the structure but could never finish the superlaser? That is a nice way to reconcile how the much larger second Death Star was built so much quicker than the first.
Galvatron wrote:Is anyone else reading Catalyst now? I'm about halfway through, but it's already reconciled the involvement of the Geonosians in the Death Star's construction with the continuity conflicts that I'm expecting to see in the movie.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The soundtrack has been revealed and it feels like a spoiler: Spoiler
1. He's Here For Us
2. A Long Ride Ahead
3. Wobani Imperial Labor Camp
4. Trust Goes Both Ways
5. When Has Become Now
6. Jedha Arrival
7. Jedha City Ambush
8. Star-Dust
9. Confrontation on Eadu
10. Krennic's Aspirations
11. Rebellions Are Built on Hope
12. Rogue One
13. Cargo Shuttle SW-0608
14. Scrambling the Rebel Fleet
15. AT-ACT Assault
16. The Master Switch
17. Your Father Would Be Proud
18. Hope
19. Jyn Erso & Hope Suite
20. The Imperial Suite
21. Guardians of the Whills Suite

That last track is especially interesting. It makes me wonder if there really is a connection to the sequels trilogy.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Adam Reynolds wrote:The soundtrack has been revealed and it feels like a spoiler:
Nothing too bad in there, spoiler-wise.

But then I'm sure they learned their lesson after "Qui-Gon's Noble End" from TPM's soundtrack.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Indeed they seem to have. I also think they have just cracked down on spoilers in general. Back when Attack of the Clones came out, I remember reading what was basically the script a year in advance.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

ANGELUS wrote:Question: do we know who that x-wing pilot with moustache is? Around 1:58...
Could it be Biggs?
He looks like Ben Daniels from Law & Order UK. I notice he and some of the other pilots are wearing blue jumpsuits, and both their fighters and helmets have blue markings, so I'm guessing the Rebels had a Blue Squadron at Yavin that was wiped out in the battle mentioned in the opening crawl. Apparently they took so many losses that a few pilots in Red and Gold groups had blue insignia on their helmets in ANH, suggesting the survivors were folded into the two squadrons that fought the Battle of Yavin. This would also explain why Biggs and Luke were put in the cockpit even though they only reached Yavin at most a day or two before the battle.