Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Post by NecronLord »

The SW Rebels evidence shows two 'admirals' (perhaps different actual ranks of admiral) with the different types though as posted above, so there's that.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

applejack wrote:I don't know if this is even still an issue, but this pretty much puts to rest the idea that the Empire switched over from one badge-rank system to another between ANH and ESB, doesn't it? The ISB Marshal in RO has the same rank scheme as Death Squadron, and would appear to be concurrent with the regional rank system used under Grand Moff Tarkin.

EDIT: Oops... missed Necronlord's post just above... LOL! But, no really, is it still a contentious issue? Because I remember reading about it on Saxton's site and largely agreeing with his assessment.
NecronLord wrote:The SW Rebels evidence shows two 'admirals' (perhaps different actual ranks of admiral) with the different types though as posted above, so there's that.
I don't remember it being a contentious issue as such, just the popular theory given that the badges were very much different between the films. But then there was Episode VI so, yeah. Consistency in Imperial rank insignia across the movies was basically zero.

As it is, I think it's safe to say now that with Rebels it looks like the two styles lived side-by-side and it's an exercise for the viewer what the difference means, if anything.
Galvatron wrote:I don't think it means anything conclusive. Tarkin had a rank badge with just as many squares. I can easily imagine that the Director of the ISB would have had one similar to that of a Grand Moff, whether before ANH or not.
You and NecronLord say Tagge's in the "Vader" comics with a promotion, right? What does his badge look like compared to ANH?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

RogueIce wrote:You and NecronLord say Tagge's in the "Vader" comics with a promotion, right? What does his badge look like compared to ANH?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Hm. It's got the same colours and number of plaques as Tarkin's, but oriented differently. No cylinders that I can see. I wonder why. Maybe he just didn't wear them that day.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

The following is based on the idea of preserving Saxton's analysis as much as possible. It could, of course, be totally wrong.
Galvatron wrote:
applejack wrote:I don't know if this is even still an issue, but this pretty much puts to rest the idea that the Empire switched over from one badge-rank system to another between ANH and ESB, doesn't it? The ISB Marshal in RO has the same rank scheme as Death Squadron, and would appear to be concurrent with the regional rank system used under Grand Moff Tarkin.

EDIT: Oops... missed Necronlord's post just above... LOL! But, no really, is it still a contentious issue? Because I remember reading about it on Saxton's site and largely agreeing with his assessment.
I don't think it means anything conclusive. Tarkin had a rank badge with just as many squares. I can easily imagine that the Director of the ISB would have had one similar to that of a Grand Moff, whether before ANH or not.
On his site, Saxton lays out three rank badge systems (as you might know). The one worn by the ISB agent conforms to Aesthetic 1 at Rank 6, Class 2 (assuming he doesn't have more rank cylinders under the cape), making him the equivalent of a Surface Marshal (ISB uses Army ranks, iirc). Tarkin's is Aesthetic 3 at Rank 7 Class 4, making him a higher ranking official. The ISB marshal's rank would seem to suggest that he is the kind of character that Thanas speculated on a little while back who goes around trouble shooting across the Empire since, iirc, Rank 6 Class 4 officers (lower than the one seen on the ISB agent) would be at the lowest level of command that can be transferred between sectors.
NecronLord wrote:The SW Rebels evidence shows two 'admirals' (perhaps different actual ranks of admiral) with the different types though as posted above, so there's that.
Admiral Konstantine's rank is consistent with that of a junior grade Fleet Admiral in Saxton's Aesthetic 1 rank scheme. This could suggest he's on loan from central forces to shore up Tarkin's forces while they're being retrained for the new equipment coming on line, or perhaps even due to Death Star preparations? *shrug*

Grint and Aresko are bigger problems than Konstantine, though, since they are of commander rank according to Aesthetic 1... Unless they're part of a larger logistics command structure (perhaps also from high command?) not wholly seen in SWR?

Admiral Titus could almost be considered a Rank 4 Class 2 "admiral" in Saxton's Aesthetic 3 scheme. However, the extra rank cylinder on his right side makes it problematic. I'm inclined to think of it as a blooper since he'd fit perfectly at the rank of admiral (commodore in Saxton's corrected labeling) in Tarkin's regional forces.
RogueIce wrote:

I don't remember it being a contentious issue as such, just the popular theory given that the badges were very much different between the films. But then there was Episode VI so, yeah. Consistency in Imperial rank insignia across the movies was basically zero.
Well, I'd make the argument that it was pretty consistent within episodes IV and V as individual movies. But yeah, ROTJ really screwed up the rank badges and I think we pretty much have to dismiss that as a giant mistake.
Galvatron wrote:
RogueIce wrote:You and NecronLord say Tagge's in the "Vader" comics with a promotion, right? What does his badge look like compared to ANH?
When does this comic take place? That's the badge of a Grand Admiral/General (see Thrawn's badge for reference). If this is after ANH, then he got a promotion.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Elheru Aran wrote:Hm. It's got the same colours and number of plaques as Tarkin's, but oriented differently. No cylinders that I can see. I wonder why. Maybe he just didn't wear them that day.
As applejack noted, this is identical to Thrawn's Grand Admiral insignia from Legends.
applejack wrote:When does this comic take place? That's the badge of a Grand Admiral/General (see Thrawn's badge for reference). If this is after ANH, then he got a promotion.
It is post-ANH and yeah, from what I understand of the story he did get a promotion (have not read the comics myself).

For ease of reference, I've compiled Saxton's rank tabulations with the titles and insignia on one table, since he has them on separate tables (though only including Navy and Army ranks due to size considerations):

(It's a quick and dirty job, so it's not nice and pretty hence the off-center insignia; but it gets the job done)

(I also dumped "Acting Sub-Lieutenant" in favor of Ensign because MURICA although I left Sub-Lieutenant alone to be nice Image)

[Edited at user request to fix image ~ NL]
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

RogueIce wrote:It is post-ANH and yeah, from what I understand of the story he did get a promotion (have not read the comics myself).
That's kinda funny considering how shocked he was at the dismissal of the Senate at the Death Star meeting. Tagge doesn't seem like a Palpatine fanboy and yet he becomes a Grand General. I guess he's just that good? :)
RogueIce wrote:For ease of reference, I've compiled Saxton's rank tabulations with the titles and insignia on one table, since he has them on separate tables (though only including Navy and Army ranks due to size considerations):

(It's a quick and dirty job, so it's not nice and pretty hence the off-center insignia; but it gets the job done)

(I also dumped "Acting Sub-Lieutenant" in favor of Ensign because MURICA although I left Sub-Lieutenant alone to be nice Image)
That's pretty good! Although you made a mistake with the Moff/Grand Moff ranks by giving them the same rank as Supreme Moff.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

applejack wrote:That's kinda funny considering how shocked he was at the dismissal of the Senate at the Death Star meeting. Tagge doesn't seem like a Palpatine fanboy and yet he becomes a Grand General. I guess he's just that good?
Here's how it's explained in the comic...

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

applejack wrote:That's pretty good! Although you made a mistake with the Moff/Grand Moff ranks by giving them the same rank as Supreme Moff.
Whoops. :oops:

I uploaded a new version but I'm way past the edit window. I asked the mods if they'd put the new link in for me, since unfortunately Imgur does not let you re-upload.

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Fixed image as requested:
applejack wrote:Admiral Konstantine's rank is consistent with that of a junior grade Fleet Admiral in Saxton's Aesthetic 1 rank scheme. This could suggest he's on loan from central forces to shore up Tarkin's forces while they're being retrained for the new equipment coming on line, or perhaps even due to Death Star preparations? *shrug*

Grint and Aresko are bigger problems than Konstantine, though, since they are of commander rank according to Aesthetic 1... Unless they're part of a larger logistics command structure (perhaps also from high command?) not wholly seen in SWR?

Admiral Titus could almost be considered a Rank 4 Class 2 "admiral" in Saxton's Aesthetic 3 scheme. However, the extra rank cylinder on his right side makes it problematic. I'm inclined to think of it as a blooper since he'd fit perfectly at the rank of admiral (commodore in Saxton's corrected labeling) in Tarkin's regional forces.
RogueIce wrote:
I don't think we need to invoke any special privilege for Konstantine. He commands at least three star destroyers; and probably more, and only appears after the siege of Lothal, when more ships are sent to Lothal. He's quite possibly just a regular fleet admiral sent by Vader.

Admiral Brom Titus is more interesting, as his rank insignia is not attested elsewhere. He commanded a single ship (the Interdictor prototype) in his appearance but it was experimental.

I I █ █ █ █ █ █ I I

And Agent Kallus seems to have had a change in rank between seasons one and two:

█ █ (Season 1)

█ █ █ █ █ (Season 2)

We never see him out of armour, so it's possible that the grey pin in his season 1 outfit is simply a place-holder and his regular insignia might be:
█ █

Which would make him comparatively junior in season one before being promoted up to what's presumably at least colonel in S2. I don't see an issue with Comandant Aresko and Taskmaster Grint being both Lt. Colonels.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

It would make a certain degree of sense, after all if Kallus knew he was getting a promotion as soon as it had cleared the system he might have ordered the armor with with the slot for his new rank instead of the old one to save having to get a new breastplate once he got promoted.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

He actually went up another step from a four pip to five, I suspect out of universe, they decided the grey pip didn't look good or didn't conform to the three colours in the movies and just changed it; perhaps it represents a retcon? Maybe a question for a rebels twitter feed, someone should post that question to Pablo Hidalgo perhaps?

Maybe he underestimated how much of a promotion he'd get from Vader turning up.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

NecronLord wrote:And Agent Kallus seems to have had a change in rank between seasons one and two:

█ █ (Season 1)

█ █ █ █ █ (Season 2)
His new rank badge is two gold in place of the red, as seen here: http://starwarsmaven.info/wp-content/up ... essary.jpg

Which is a heretofore never seen before insignia. Of course since he is only ever referred to as "Agent" it could just be an ISB specific insignia.

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Elheru Aran wrote:Hm. It's got the same colours and number of plaques as Tarkin's, but oriented differently. No cylinders that I can see. I wonder why. Maybe he just didn't wear them that day.
You know, it's altogether possible that the code cylinders have nothing at all to do with rank.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

RogueIce wrote: His new rank badge is two gold in place of the red, as seen here: http://starwarsmaven.info/wp-content/up ... essary.jpg
Quite right, an error on my part; I shall edit.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Galvatron wrote:You know, it's altogether possible that the code cylinders have nothing at all to do with rank.
In the ANH style it's possible I think - but in ESB there are multiple officers who are differentiated by cylinders.

I suspect content creators don't know this, though.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

NecronLord wrote:
Galvatron wrote:You know, it's altogether possible that the code cylinders have nothing at all to do with rank.
In the ANH style it's possible I think - but in ESB there are multiple officers who are differentiated by cylinders.

Has anyone ever speculated that the badges may not denote rank either and may have been intended to be the equivalent of service ribbons instead?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Yes. Curtis covers this idea on his page, as well as the idea that gold pins specifically may not represent rank, but rather overwrite blue ones, and represent ideological purity or governate responsibilities. His page is well worth a read.

Main page
Medals and ribbons are awared, as seen in the TIE Fighter computer game, but they are almost never worn by officers on duty. Admiral Giel was an exception, but he was probably following a stubborn and deeply-rooted personal preference. Instead, a piece of insignia known as a rank plaque (as it is named in A New Hope concept art) sits on the breast where ribbons would be kept under any other convention. This badge consists of a rectangular piece of metal fitted with a combination of red, blue or yellow rectangular plastic buttons. Perhaps there is a deliberate implication behind this: rank is symbolically equated with the acculuation of unitary markers of merit. Decoration implies promotion, and promotion implies decoration.
I like that take.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote:
NecronLord wrote:

Has anyone ever speculated that the badges may not denote rank either and may have been intended to be the equivalent of service ribbons instead?
Maybe...but man Piett got decorated as fuck in the like 30 minutes or so after he took over for Ozzel, didn't he? :P

(edit: which is to say I don't really buy into that theory, or at least not that they're exclusively used for such purpose)

eMeM
Padawan Learner

Post by eMeM »

New info, two new starfighters, character names:
http://www.slashfilm.com/rogue-one-character-names/
Guy in the white is apparently a Director.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I sure hope some of those pages are going to change. The TIE strikers should be rare models and the X-wings on the last page shouldn't be T-70s. Also, "Director of the Imperial Military?" That's going to cause a lot of headaches.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Additional follow up from the previous link, along with some better images.

http://pulse.therpf.com/new-images-and- ... wars-story
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Maybe the T-70 isn't as new as we were led to believe. So much the better.
Last edited by Galvatron on 2016-05-17 10:43am, edited 1 time in total.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Maybe everything isn't sooo bad, involving the "Director of the Imperial Military" thing. It's possible that they delved into the EU comics a bit. If everyone remembers, Armand Isard was " Director of the Senate Bureau of Intelligence and the Director of Republic Intelligence, and he later acted as the Director of Imperial Intelligence". It's possible that the new Rogue One "director" is meant to be Military Intelligence and not simply just "Director of the Military". Which, considering the plot of the film, would make much better sense.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Tarkin novel mentioned an unidentified Director of the ISB. That's who this guy should be based on his uniform.