Wouldn't Lando make a good chancellor?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Wouldn't Lando make a good chancellor?

Post by Galvatron »

Now that the First Order has both declared war on and crippled the New Republic, it occurred to me that war hero and co-destroyer of the second Death Star, Lando Calrissian, may be ideal to fill the void left by Chancellor Lanever Villecham's death on Hosnian Prime.

He always struck me as a natural politician with his silver tongue and his past as a gambler and a con man.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Re: Wouldn't Lando make a good chancellor?

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I just want Lando in the upcoming films.

I like Lando. He's a bit of a complicated character, not a straight good or bad guy (at least at first), and while moral ambiguity isn't really Star Wars, that can be good in small doses, at least. Also, Lando took out the second Death Star. And I've long felt that the EU kind of shafted Lando- he always seemed to get a very minor role, compared to the other major OT characters or even Ackbar (who would have fled at Endor if not for Lando).

And I could definitely see him taking a political role- he has experience as a businessman, a soldier, and the administrator of a city. That's a good resume for a political candidate.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

While I like Lando I'm a bit wary of pulling him back into the spotlight. Billy Dee Williams is fairly well preserved as far as I know, but it would seem a bit too obvious of a fanboy move.

I could live with the Chancellor notion, though. It works for me. Better than a knockoff of Cloud City. I can also see him as a retired General brought on board with the Resistance to lead their fleet against the First Order. Something to show that he's moved on in life, you know?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
LastShadow
Youngling

Post by LastShadow »

I could see Lando showing up. I liked Lando. Its sad that all of his character growth from the novels is basically gone now. I could see him showing up as a semi replacement scoundrel mentor in place of Han.

That said he may make a cameo if they have a funeral for Han at some point though i find it doubtful that a scene like that will happen, especailly if its not plot important.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I don't do shipping as a rule, but lately I've been toying with the idea of Lando as a love interest for Leia. I mean, their was definitely some interest their, at least on Lando's part, back in Empire Strikes Back, and since the relationship with Han ended up a heart-wrenching disaster, I kind of feel bad for Leia and would like to see her get a second chance at a romantic relationship (after a proper length of time mourning Han, of course). And it would work even better if the two were operating in the same political circles. They might not go for it though for fear of upsetting Han/Leia fans by being seen as "replacing" Han.

It would also be interesting to show how Lando has developed as a character if he came back in a political leadership role. One of the disappointments of Episode VII is that the old heroes, by and large, are back doing what they were doing in the beginning. Leia is a Rebellion/Resistance leader (albeit now at the top of the chain of command), Han and Chewbacca are smugglers, and Luke is the last of the Jedi, only real difference being that we now know he fucked it up royally.

I'd like to see at least one of the old group moving on to something new.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I could see Lando coming back as having left some business venture in the hands of his trusted 2nd, in order to help with the relief effort after the destruction of the Hosnian system - perhaps he knows some people or he himself supplies the Resistance kind of under the table, while a more legitimate operation is what he presents to the rest of the Republic...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That would actually make sense- Lando being the guy the NR goes to to smuggle supplies under the table to the Resistance. Former Rebellion/Republic war hero, successful businessman (at least until the Empire destroyed his business), and former smuggler who is personally known by the leader of the Resistance.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

The Romulan Republic wrote: I'd like to see at least one of the old group moving on to something new.
Yeah, new things are not what the Sequel Trilogy is about.

As for the main topic, Business Savvy does not automatically translate to political stuff. This could end up with Lando as space Trump.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote: I'd like to see at least one of the old group moving on to something new.

As for the main topic, Business Savvy does not automatically translate to political stuff. This could end up with Lando as space Trump.
Well, I'm hoping that they'll do something a bit more innovative in the next film, now that they've kissed OT fan ass and its a different director/writer combo.

Although, to be fair, Episode VII at least avoided reusing the Sith, came up with an original take on a Dark Side character for the films in Kylo Ren, killed Han, and gave us a black man and a woman as leads. That all is something new. They aped the OT stylistically, with the Starkiller to some extent, and started out on a desert planet again (at least it wasn't Tatooine) and went back to a focus on a small Rebellion as the heroes, but it could have been worse.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

We've gone from Sith to.... wannabe Sith. It's not that great. And Han's role as about as standard mentor as you get. Following the Obi-Wan archetype.

Finn and Rey are decent leads though. I did enjoy how it first it really seemed as if Poe was the standard white-male lead, only for him to be more and more minor and sidelined as the film progressed.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm not sure I'd call Poe "the standard white male lead" under any circumstances, seeing as he's played by a Latino actor (specifically, according to his IMDB page, his mother is Guatemalan and his father Cuban, though he also has some French ancestry on his mother's side).
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Oh cool, didn't know/had forgotten that.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Crazedwraith wrote:

Just thought I'd go back to this and address the political credentials issue.

The thing, to me, is not that Lando is a good businessman. I agree that that alone does not make one suitable for political leadership. Its that he's a good businessman, a former administrator of a city, and a general. That gives him a breadth of experience, all of which is potentially relevant to political office.

Edit: Actually, when you put it that way, I'd probably vote Lando Calrisien over most of the current US candidates.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

The Romulan Republic wrote:The thing, to me, is not that Lando is a good businessman. I agree that that alone does not make one suitable for political leadership. Its that he's a good businessman, a former administrator of a city, and a general. That gives him a breadth of experience, all of which is potentially relevant to political office.
Exactly. He's also one probably one of the few people whom both Luke and Leia can still trust.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

And the charm. Don't forget the charm. :D
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'd like to see Lobot make a return as his trusty aide-de-camp as well. He can pivot and point a lot.
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Lando's a little bit obese right now. I know he's supposed to be old but I dunno. They'll probably want something for Leia to do in the next movie, unless they spend most of 8 outside of republic space on some kind of spiritual journey or whatever and we don't see what has been going on until the end.

You gotta kill these OG wars characters off in the movies before they die in real life. I suspect we'll spend the whole movie doing force stuff with luke, with maybe some cut aways to Finn and Poe fighting a losing battle against the remnant. Rebel bases will get destroyed, more OG characters will make sacrifices, Leia will probably get killed by Kylo. Quickly and without much fanfare, to really bring home that he's for real evil now.

At the end Luke will have prepped Rey enough to go back out into the galaxy and fix everything. Then he'll probably not show up again until the end of 9, assuming he doesn't die early on into 8. Mark Hammill's a busy man, he has to voice the joker again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

APlayerHater wrote:Lando's a little bit obese right now. I know he's supposed to be old but I dunno.
I don't care what Lando looks like, particularly. He's still Lando.

And hey, Harrison Ford was old, and he was one of the best parts of Episode VII.
They'll probably want something for Leia to do in the next movie, unless they spend most of 8 outside of republic space on some kind of spiritual journey or whatever and we don't see what has been going on until the end.
I'd like to see her more directly involved in the action. Then we'll finally get an answer to weather Luke ever followed through on his promise to teach Leia about the Force. In Episode VII, she exhibited no real ability beyond that she showed in the OT (sensing when Han had died).
You gotta kill these OG wars characters off in the movies before they die in real life. I suspect we'll spend the whole movie doing force stuff with luke, with maybe some cut aways to Finn and Poe fighting a losing battle against the remnant. Rebel bases will get destroyed, more OG characters will make sacrifices, Leia will probably get killed by Kylo. Quickly and without much fanfare, to really bring home that he's for real evil now.
Ugg, I hope not. I don't want to just see all the old characters quickly killed to get them out of the way. Unnecessary and crass.

And having Ren kill Leia would be repetitive, and probably have little impact compared to Han's death.

It would be potentially interesting if Leia went after Ren though, either to try to save him herself or to try to avenge Han's death.
At the end Luke will have prepped Rey enough to go back out into the galaxy and fix everything. Then he'll probably not show up again until the end of 9, assuming he doesn't die early on into 8. Mark Hammill's a busy man, he has to voice the joker again.
I think if anyone else is gong to die, it should be Luke. Taking out the most powerful Jedi would force Rey to step in and be the hero, and show that the villains are a major league threat.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Billy Dee Williams may be a bit on the chubby side but he still has bucket loads of charisma and I'm sure if Lando were to return in-live action he would still able to play him just fine.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Lord Revan wrote:Billy Dee Williams may be a bit on the chubby side but he still has bucket loads of charisma and I'm sure if Lando were to return in-live action he would still able to play him just fine.
Yeah, frankly I wouldn't call him 'obese'. He's, what, sixty-something? It's a rare guy who keeps his trim figure into that age. As long as he can still fill the role, I don't care.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:Billy Dee Williams may be a bit on the chubby side but he still has bucket loads of charisma and I'm sure if Lando were to return in-live action he would still able to play him just fine.
Yeah, frankly I wouldn't call him 'obese'. He's, what, sixty-something? It's a rare guy who keeps his trim figure into that age. As long as he can still fill the role, I don't care.
true enough it assume he'd look the same as he did 35 or so years ago is rather silly and it's not like he does look that much different from your typical man in his 60s.
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Besides, you don't have to have an action hero body if you're a politician.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

besides Lando was always more of a charmer then a brawler.
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

I figure they could work Lando in as the administrator of a New Republic colony that Finn and Poe have to head to in order to escape detection by the New Order. But it turns out that TNO beat our heroes to it after Boba Fett secretly tracked the Falcon to cloud City. Kylo forces Lando to betray Finn. This is of course so that Finn can be tortured, causing Rey to have a premonition that forces her to abandon her training under Luke in order to rescue him. Fett freezes Finn in carbonite so that he can be turned in for the bounty taken out by captain Phasma, but not before he can profess his love to-

-Hang on, this is good stuff. Somebody call Disney.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

APlayerHater wrote: Mark Hammill's a busy man, he has to voice the joker again.
Off topic, but I thought the last Arkham Asylum game was his last time doing the Joker. Did they cut him a big enough check to get him to do it again or something? :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician