Wouldn't Lando make a good chancellor?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Re: Wouldn't Lando make a good chancellor?

Post by Gandalf »

Bring back Lando! He's like Han Solo, but set to interesting.
Rogue 9 wrote:
APlayerHater wrote: Mark Hammill's a busy man, he has to voice the joker again.
Off topic, but I thought the last Arkham Asylum game was his last time doing the Joker. Did they cut him a big enough check to get him to do it again or something? :P
At one point he said he'd only come back for The Killing Joke. I think it's in production, and as such got Hammill and Conroy.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Gandalf wrote:Bring back Lando! He's like Han Solo, but set to interesting.
Rogue 9 wrote:
APlayerHater wrote: Mark Hammill's a busy man, he has to voice the joker again.
Off topic, but I thought the last Arkham Asylum game was his last time doing the Joker. Did they cut him a big enough check to get him to do it again or something? :P
At one point he said he'd only come back for The Killing Joke. I think it's in production, and as such got Hammill and Conroy.
This is definitely a thing. It's coming out either this fall/winter or next spring.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I thought Troy Baker did a fine impression of Mark Hamill's Joker for Arkham Origins. Same with Tara Strong as Harley Quinn. The originals will always be revered, but it's not as if they're irreplaceable.

APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Is it too late to get Mark Hammill for suicide squad?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Obviously, since the teaser for suicide squad, with the new Joker, premiered some time ago.

Besides, I'm not sure Hamill would work as the Joker in live action.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Obviously, since the teaser for suicide squad, with the new Joker, premiered some time ago.

Besides, I'm not sure Hamill would work as the Joker in live action.
I suspect he wouldn't anymore but back when he was cast in TAS sure. He can do the mannerism of the Joker just fine it's just that atm Mark hamill is way too old for the role.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Hey, he played the trickster on the flash. There's life in the old man yet.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Back to Lando...

Billy Dee recently reprised the role for the cartoon as a voice actor so I see no reason why LFL wouldn't ask him to return. He was always an interesting character and I think his introduction as the new chancellor of the Republic in their war against the First Order could be one of those moments that elicit cheers and applause from the audience.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Galvatron wrote:Back to Lando...

Billy Dee recently reprised the role for the cartoon as a voice actor so I see no reason why LFL wouldn't ask him to return. He was always an interesting character and I think his introduction as the new chancellor of the Republic in their war against the First Order could be one of those moments that elicit cheers and applause from the audience.
Assuming, of course, that they don't simply proceed to write out the Republic so we can have another plucky rebels against evil empire storyline like Mr. Abrams was clearly in the beginning stages of doing.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I just want Lando in the upcoming films.

I like Lando. He's a bit of a complicated character, not a straight good or bad guy (at least at first), and while moral ambiguity isn't really Star Wars, that can be good in small doses, at least.
I'm not sure Lando is even all that morally ambiguous a figure in the movies. He's pretty obviously doing everything he can to warn Han and Leia off of Bespin before Vader nabs them, he actively pisses off Darth Vader when he didn't have to do that and might well have been left alone in charge of his city just by not doing so. And then he pretty much signs on for the Rebellion and becomes one of the main leaders at Endor.
And I've long felt that the EU kind of shafted Lando- he always seemed to get a very minor role, compared to the other major OT characters or even Ackbar (who would have fled at Endor if not for Lando).
I disagree. Lando, at least prior to the Yuuzhan Vong era about which I know virtually nothing, got exactly the roles he was comfortable in. He's a gambler and a personally charismatic organizer of moderate-sized, highly profitable enterprises. If he'd wanted to enter top level Republic poalitics he could have- but he doesn't, by all evidence. He prefers to be an independent agent, and he does well for himself in that role.

Sometimes, a character's particular happy ending doesn't involve becoming powerful, and sometimes a character becoming powerful wouldn't constitute a happy ending for them.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm not sure I'd call Poe "the standard white male lead" under any circumstances, seeing as he's played by a Latino actor (specifically, according to his IMDB page, his mother is Guatemalan and his father Cuban, though he also has some French ancestry on his mother's side).
Them presenting Poe as a standard white male lead doesn't mean the actor who plays Poe is himself not a Latino or a member of some other minority often thought of as 'white.'
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Simon_Jester wrote:I'm not sure Lando is even all that morally ambiguous a figure in the movies. He's pretty obviously doing everything he can to warn Han and Leia off of Bespin before Vader nabs them, he actively pisses off Darth Vader when he didn't have to do that and might well have been left alone in charge of his city just by not doing so. And then he pretty much signs on for the Rebellion and becomes one of the main leaders at Endor.
Well, I'll admit he was trying to make the best of a bad situation, and he did end up unambiguously with the heroes in the end.
I disagree. Lando, at least prior to the Yuuzhan Vong era about which I know virtually nothing, got exactly the roles he was comfortable in. He's a gambler and a personally charismatic organizer of moderate-sized, highly profitable enterprises. If he'd wanted to enter top level Republic poalitics he could have- but he doesn't, by all evidence. He prefers to be an independent agent, and he does well for himself in that role.
Maybe so, but their are other ways he could have been used in the stories more.
Sometimes, a character's particular happy ending doesn't involve becoming powerful, and sometimes a character becoming powerful wouldn't constitute a happy ending for them.
You have made something of an assumption, I think, about what I am arguing. I don't believe I said anything about "powerful".

It is my experience, however (at least in the EU) that Lando was given a fairly minor role in the stories. They could have done more with him as a character.

And to be honest, he would have been an asset to the NR as a businessman/politician/general at high levels, had they taken him that route.
Them presenting Poe as a standard white male lead doesn't mean the actor who plays Poe is himself not a Latino or a member of some other minority often thought of as 'white.'
It is not my experience that Latino is generally equated to white.

Regardless, I wouldn't say that they really presented Poe as anything in terms of race. His racial background, as far as I could see, had pretty much zero overt effect on the character.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Basically, I feel Lando was underused as a character in the old EU, or at least those parts I was familiar with, and it looks like the new Star Wars is making the same mistakes (aside from Rebels, anyway). Their are a number of ways that could be addressed- giving him a major political role is one, but their are others.

I don't know. To me, Lando is as much a part of the OT as Yoda. But he seems to be treated as almost a bit part a lot of the time.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

The Romulan Republic wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:I'm not sure Lando is even all that morally ambiguous a figure in the movies. He's pretty obviously doing everything he can to warn Han and Leia off of Bespin before Vader nabs them, he actively pisses off Darth Vader when he didn't have to do that and might well have been left alone in charge of his city just by not doing so. And then he pretty much signs on for the Rebellion and becomes one of the main leaders at Endor.
Well, I'll admit he was trying to make the best of a bad situation, and he did end up unambiguously with the heroes in the end.
Yeah. Basically, as far as I can remember, at literally every point we even see Lando in the movies, he makes a morally correct choice. Sometimes he takes great personal risks. Like infiltrating Jabba's palace as a guard. Or llike telling off Darth Vader to save a friend; that takes balls of durasteel, don't you think?

He's got a shady past, but is morally quite clean in the present.
Maybe so, but their are other ways he could have been used in the stories more.
He could have been- but he still manages to appear, and he does so doing what he does best. Just as Han never really fit in as a general or a politician in the old EU, and routinely wound up circling back to his roots as a smuggler, chancer, and gunman.
You have made something of an assumption, I think, about what I am arguing. I don't believe I said anything about "powerful".

It is my experience, however (at least in the EU) that Lando was given a fairly minor role in the stories. They could have done more with him as a character.

And to be honest, he would have been an asset to the NR as a businessman/politician/general at high levels, had they taken him that route.
He might have been an asset, but I don't think he would have enjoyed it very much, and it would have forced him to put up with crap like Borsk Fey'lya (does anyone think it a coincidence that his name seems to rhyme with 'fail you' or 'failure?').

Granted, nobody enjoys politics that much, except for crap like Fey'lya, but still... let me just say that I feel Lando got a happy ending out of the old EU, even if more could have been done with the character as you say. To me that counts for something, because I don't really like seeing characters dragged endlessly face-first through crisis after crisis as though nothing they can ever do will earn them peace.
It is not my experience that Latino is generally equated to white.
To phrase my words more precisely, if you don't already know a Latino is a Latino, many Latinos will simply be taken for 'white' unless they in some way characterize themselves as Latinos. Unless they have a conspicuous appearance of the types South America once called 'mestizo' or 'mulatto,' it's going to be difficult or not impossible to tell Latinos from, say, French people or Italians.

It's not that there's no such thing as anti-Latino discrimination, it's that in terms of a work of art, a Latino you don't specifically point out as a Latino will be viewed as 'white' in many cases. Whereas a woman will not be seen as a man, nor will an African-American be seen as 'white.'
Regardless, I wouldn't say that they really presented Poe as anything in terms of race. His racial background, as far as I could see, had pretty much zero overt effect on the character.
Well, yes. Point being he looks like the 'generic white male lead,' and then turns out to be a bit character, while the male lead is a black guy and the most competent protagonist is female.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

Well yeah- I don't think they have racism in the starwars universe, so racial backgrounds don't really inform the characters. I don't think the empire was all white any more than they were all british extras.

There is sexism in the starwars, although I guess it could be argued Han is just bigoted against royalty.