Force Awakens Complaining.

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Force Awakens Complaining.

Post by Simon_Jester »

Galvatron wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:So you'd explain Luke's ancestry with, what, Vader sleeping with Anakin's wife?
Yes. It would be one of the ways I'd show Darth abusing the Force when he uses the Jedi mind trick to coerce her into satiating his lust. She wouldn't willingly be unfaithful to her husband.
Not going to fly well in a family-friendly movie of the early 1980s.
Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah... the main problem is that Obi-wan in ANH describes Vader and Anakin as separate persons studying under him, then in ROTJ admits that they're the same. If you want to maintain the idea that Vader is a separate person... things get difficult there, and it gets harder to keep up the whole Skywalker lineage thing. If Vader is a separate person from Anakin, why make a big deal of Anakin in the first place? That basically negates the prequels completely (in their current condition); you'd have a completely different story going on.
Oh, yeah, you clearly can't retcon this.

But the original argument was that it would be better if they'd done it that way in the first place, if Anakin and Vader had never been the same person. Then Luke could have gotten his early training thinking of his father as a great hero (and a Jedi), and then he realizes that his real father is Vader, his worst enemy and the worst enemy of the man he thought to be his father. As opposed to actually being that same man.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Yeah... the main problem is that Obi-wan in ANH describes Vader and Anakin as separate persons studying under him, then in ROTJ admits that they're the same. If you want to maintain the idea that Vader is a separate person... things get difficult there, and it gets harder to keep up the whole Skywalker lineage thing. If Vader is a separate person from Anakin, why make a big deal of Anakin in the first place? That basically negates the prequels completely (in their current condition); you'd have a completely different story going on.
Oh, yeah, you clearly can't retcon this.

But the original argument was that it would be better if they'd done it that way in the first place, if Anakin and Vader had never been the same person. Then Luke could have gotten his early training thinking of his father as a great hero (and a Jedi), and then he realizes that his real father is Vader, his worst enemy and the worst enemy of the man he thought to be his father. As opposed to actually being that same man.
I can live with that, but I think Vader being Anakin works better from an epic perspective and gives his redemption a little more power. If you make him just another villain, it's less personal and the turnaround in ROTJ doesn't make as much sense.

Yes, there are issues with Obi-wan feeding Luke BS until Vader ripped the bandage off. It's hardly the first time it's ever happened, and it shows that Luke's wise counselor type isn't perfect, is willing to manipulate Luke towards his own ends. I mean, imagine if he had just told him straight up that his father was Darth Vader, not Anakin Skywalker. What might he have done once they were on the Death Star, being young and callow? Might Vader have been able to take advantage of his weakness to overpower him and turn him to the Dark Side? Is being honest with Luke worth taking that chance?

My problem with the whole "Vader should have been a separate person but still Luke's daddy" argument is mostly that I don't think it aligns well, thematically, with the arc of Star Wars, even the OT on its own. But frankly, it's a subjective argument. I'm not sure we can get anywhere with that.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:So you'd explain Luke's ancestry with, what, Vader sleeping with Anakin's wife?
Yes. It would be one of the ways I'd show Darth abusing the Force when he uses the Jedi mind trick to coerce her into satiating his lust. She wouldn't willingly be unfaithful to her husband.
Not going to fly well in a family-friendly movie of the early 1980s.
That's why I'd edit out the deed itself, like Leia's torture in ANH. The door would slide shut as Anakin's wife mindlessly repeats Vader's line. The adults would figure out what happened after that.

As for Anakin, he's still a big deal because he's the source of Vader's DNA which would be revealed as backstory in Episode 1. That's right, he's Anakin's clone, created by the bad guys during the prior war.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

But then how does that line up with Vader having been a Jedi? You'd think they would notice two genetically identical Jedi.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Of course they'd notice it.

Anakin thinks it's a bad idea, but Obi-Wan decides to train Anakin's younger clone as a Jedi. Episode 1 would begin with a space battle and Obi-Wan's capture. Darth would narrowly escape in a fighter and barely make his way to Tatooine, where Obi-Wan told him he could find his friend (and legendary Jedi Knight), Anakin Skywalker. Darth wouldn't find out until they meet that he's a clone of the older Jedi.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

I'm betting that, if he tried, non-Force sensitive Poe could compete on the pod racing circuit on Tatooine, even though doing so explicitly requires faster reflexes than any human has, and would therefore be inconsistent.

Because haaahahaha fuck it, why not, what are you doing to do about it, neeerds?

Disney.

Edit: Meh, sorry about the tone. Ep7 just rubs me the wrong way, in quite a few places.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Diiiisney! Hey because Guardians of the Galaxy were cool EP7 is also cool, right?

Wrong.
Elheru Aran wrote:Yes, there are issues with Obi-wan feeding Luke BS until Vader ripped the bandage off
Issues like what, making the audience trust the Jedi a bit less? Could that be... intended? To induce the same type of doubt that Luke had when onboard the Death Star when the Emperor cackled and threw his cool lines about this FULLY OPERATIONAL BATTLE STATION while Ackbar was giving birth to memes in great agony...

That's not issues, that's just Star Wars the way it was and the way it should've been.
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Lì paludi, minacce, cecchini coi fucili, documenti, file notturne e clandestini
Qui incontri, lotte, passi sincronizzati, colori, capannelli non autorizzati,
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

...La tranquillità è importante ma la libertà è tutto!
Assalti Frontali
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

What is wrong with those dishonest statements actually being Obi-Wan's genuine perspective?

Obi-Wan and most Jedi seem to believe that once the Dark Side takes control of a person, the person they once were is dead. Yoda told Obi-Wan exactly this in ROTS. Obi-Wan seemed to believe it, using this belief to justify delivering a mortal blow to his closest friend. It would make sense that he then told this to Luke, fearing that if Luke knew the truth it could drive him towards the Dark Side. Ironically it actually gave Vader ammunition to drive Luke towards the Dark Side.

It is notable that none of the Jedi ever even considered redeeming Dooku. They just assumed that he was a lost cause, that the Jedi Master they had once known is gone. For all we know*, there had never been a fallen Jedi redeemed in the history of the Order. Remember Yoda's statement. "If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi-Wan's apprentice."
* Going with the new canon. If one wanted to count Revan, his memories were altered by the Jedi Council, hardly a normal set of events.

In any case, I don't see how you could come to any other conclusion from The Empire Strikes Back alone. It was full of foreshadowing that Vader and Anakin were the same person. Notice that in the above Yoda quote, Yoda never mentions the apprentice by name. Even in ANH, Obi-Wan hesitates thoughtfully before telling Luke the story. Almost as if he was considering which truth to tell.

There is also the thematic point that is key to Star Wars, that of throwing out the old order and the old way of doing things in favor of forging your own path. Having a dishonest mentor is part of that theme.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Adam Reynolds wrote:In any case, I don't see how you could come to any other conclusion from The Empire Strikes Back alone. It was full of foreshadowing that Vader and Anakin were the same person. Notice that in the above Yoda quote, Yoda never mentions the apprentice by name. Even in ANH, Obi-Wan hesitates thoughtfully before telling Luke the story. Almost as if he was considering which truth to tell.
Ben told Luke in ANH that Vader was his pupil and was seduced by the dark side of the Force. That quote from Yoda, taken at face value, can easily be interpreted as nothing more than a confirmation of Ben's story.

However, one of my other story ideas is that Yoda might be the only one who knows that Vader is Luke's true father.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Cykeisme wrote:I'm betting that, if he tried, non-Force sensitive Poe could compete on the pod racing circuit on Tatooine, even though doing so explicitly requires faster reflexes than any human has, and would therefore be inconsistent.
People going around forty or fifty years before Yavin talking about how "no human is agile enough to drive a pod-racer" doesn't make it impossible for a human living thirty years after Yavin to do so.

In 1890, it would have been accurate to say "no human is fast enough to run a four-minute mile." In 1960... not so much.

And yes, there are specific reasons why that is true, reasons which are not precisely applicable to pod-racing in Star Wars. The point remains, nevertheless, that records are often broken, and that people living on a backwater planet may well not know literally everything there is to know about what outlier members of a given species can or cannot do.

So I think it would be perfectly reasonable for Poe to be the first human to place as a pod-racer in decades, thus establishing that he is an extreme outlier of human ability in the field of piloting.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Hell, you actually could probably find a PT-era baseline human with the reflexes to be a podracer; the ends of the bell curve go really far with a galactic species population of at least many trillions.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

I think a normal human would have the reflexes. Either they haven't tried or as Simon Jester said the people on Tattoine just don't know if humans have done so successfully.

Probably plenty have tried but few humans have succeeded. Anakin is able to do so not just because of his reflexes but also his Jedi newtype flash Spidey sense most likely helping him avoid danger. A non-force user could pod race too but maybe not as good just the same as a non-force user can lightsaber fight. They just have to be really exceptional individuals.

On topic, getting the DVD recently and watching it from the comfort of my own home and thus able to better appreciate The Force Sleeps in 10 Minutes I'd say its okay. I don't hate it but I don't love it. I liked it enough to buy the damn thing but then I'd probably buy the Holiday Special if they offered it on DVD. No that isn't me comparing TFA to the Holiday Special, the HS actually did something with its faceless supposed badass rather then literally throwing em down the garbage disposal.

My main complaints of the movie is it felt too repetitive. Not just the cribbing of the plot of ANH but other elements too. Visual stuff repeated with crap like the destruction of the Hosnian System. We already got that with Alderaan and a more modern take with Vulcan. There was nothing really new or exciting about it even though it was like 5 planets this time because we gotta make shit bigger and blah blah. It didn't have the impact of Alderaan or Vulcan because we've already seen that shit before and we don't know the planet at all. With Alderaan we are seeing its destruction through Leia's eyes, we can feel the emotion. Same with Vulcan and Spork plus we know Vulcan from the original timeline.

Other things that are repeated are designs and factions. Say what you will about the Prequels but the designs were familiar while still being fresh. Clonetrooper armor resembled Stormie armor but was its own thing. The Venator and Acclimator had elements of the Imperial class Star Destroyer but were not direct copies. The ARC-170 wasn't just a slightly altered X-Wing, it wasn't even the same type of fighter (despite what Battlefront 2 would have you believe). The AT-TE was a considerably different beast from the AT-AT. But the shit in TFA was just OT stuff slightly altered. The FO Stormtrooper armor was a somehow worse looking version of the OT armor, the TIE was almost identical beyond a slightly different paintjob, the Star Destroyer looked like a shittier version of the ISD, and the X-Wing and Rebel bullshit was nearly identical. Also yet another Death Star but now bigger and operates by a bunch of bullshit technobabble.

The X-Wing actually resembled some versions of the Z-95 Headhunter from the Old EU which shows its part of the same problem of that design, the same problem that plagued the Old EU. Nothing new design wise. The Z-95 was a shit design because it was a slightly altered X-Wing because the creators could do their own thing, they had to slightly alter existing designs. Pretty much the same throughout all of the EU even to the Legacy era. And I loved the Legacy comics but most of the designs were just nearly identical to OT era designs, no real effort to make something new.

One thing I will give credit to KOTOR about is its designs while evocative of the familiar OT and PT designs actually did their own thing. Too bad The Old Republic completely shit the bed in that regards and just had more rip-off Stormtroopers and that wasn't even the worst of it. They ripped off so bad the fucking Sith's logo was literally the Imperial logo unchanged. Bullshit.

The movie had the chance to do something different. I mean I wouldn't even mind the First Order looking the same considering the First Order was Empire obsessed. But the Rebels.....excuse me THE RESISTANCE (I'll get back to this, oh you piece of fucking cunt shit) was just the fucking Rebellion with slightly different helmets and slightly, ever so slightly different X-Wings. Even if they were technically a PMC owned by Leia they were supposed to be supported by the New Republic, they could have maybe had some updated A-Wings or some body armor that didn't suck Wookiee balls or something FUCKING NEW ANY FUCKING THING.

But the movie was so fucking opposed to new shit they couldn't even have new factions. Just the fucking Empire vs the Rebellion despite the fact the Empire was supposed to be dead maybe (the lore seems to be unclear whether or not the Empire proper still exists or had completely collapsed) and the New Republic is a galactic government. Still gotta have the Rebel Scum being the underdog fighting against the Evil Empire despite the fact it should be the Evil Empire being the underdog. So we got the godawful dumb as fuck Resistance fighting the fight instead of anything that would make even the slightest bit of sense. Actually having equal factions or the Empire in the former position of the Rebellion would be new and exciting but we can't have that, gotta adhere slavishly to the OT formula or the fanboys will whine. Well they are going to whine anyway but atleast they aren't whining about how their precious series was changed and therefor it sucks.

You know, I kinda understand the nerd rage exhibited by fatty nerds back in the late 90s/2000s with the Prequel haters. A bunch of non fun having haters mad because they can't experience the movies like they did as kids and because its different from how they remember. I cannot work up the excitement I had as a teen watching the Prequels, growing up with them nor the unbridled joy I had when I first discovered the OT. A bit mad about the younger folks who have the joy and excitement about these new movies.

However one difference between myself and the Prequel hater fatty nerds is the fact I am all irate not because they changed it and therefore its sucks but because they DIDN'T change it and therefore it sucks.

I know I'm probably just being an old man yelling at clouds and saying how in my day Star Wars was new and fresh and we had to walk to the theaters 10 miles in the snow barefoot while fighting genetically engineered bare chested latin-indian supermen trying to conquer the world but still if they are making new Star Wars make something new. And if you have someone as cool as Phasma actually do something more then throw her down the garbage disposal. Sheesh.
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Yes yes, my feelings exactly. Palpatine mark 2.0? W.T.F. Also Snoke sucks, it just does. Palpatine sounds cool. Snoke doesn't it just doesn't!!!
Lì ci sono chiese, macerie, moschee e questure, lì frontiere, prezzi inaccessibile e freddure
Uccelli migratori, reti, informazioni, piazze di Tutti i like pazze di passioni...

Assalti Frontali
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

K. A. Pital wrote:Yes yes, my feelings exactly. Palpatine mark 2.0? W.T.F. Also Snoke sucks, it just does. Palpatine sounds cool. Snoke doesn't it just doesn't!!!
Palpatine sounds like saltine, which is possibly why the name was not uttered once during the original trilogy. "The Emperor" was better. Similarly, "the Supreme Leader" would've been better from TFA.
Joun_Lord wrote:Other things that are repeated are designs and factions. Say what you will about the Prequels but the designs were familiar while still being fresh. Clonetrooper armor resembled Stormie armor but was its own thing. The Venator and Acclimator had elements of the Imperial class Star Destroyer but were not direct copies. The ARC-170 wasn't just a slightly altered X-Wing, it wasn't even the same type of fighter (despite what Battlefront 2 would have you believe). The AT-TE was a considerably different beast from the AT-AT. But the shit in TFA was just OT stuff slightly altered. The FO Stormtrooper armor was a somehow worse looking version of the OT armor, the TIE was almost identical beyond a slightly different paintjob, the Star Destroyer looked like a shittier version of the ISD, and the X-Wing and Rebel bullshit was nearly identical. Also yet another Death Star but now bigger and operates by a bunch of bullshit technobabble.
1. First Order Stormtrooper armor is about as different to Imperial Stormtrooper armor as Clonetrooper armor is. Further, they have a wider variety of weapons. They're simply better realised and more believable soldiers, and they're more competent.

Seriously, how are these even remotely a "worse looking version of the OT armor"?

2. Complete nonsense, the Star Destroyer doesn't look anything like an ISD. There's virtually no similarity there whatsoever apart from the classic wedge shape and a ventral bulb. There is no 'neck' joining the bridge tower to the ventral bulb, the bridge tower itself is assymetrical in design, it has an enormous hangar deck in between the dorsal and ventral hull (seriously, we see Poe and Finn fly throug this, its impossible to miss), its heavy turbolaser armament is heavier and isn't merely concentrated on the dorsal flanks, and it has port and starboard hangars evocative of the Venator-class. Have you even looked at the Resurgent-class?

3. How is the Starkiller's operation any more "technobabble" than that of the Death Star? "It eats suns" is possibly the simplest thing imaginable while evoking enormous power.
The X-Wing actually resembled some versions of the Z-95 Headhunter from the Old EU which shows its part of the same problem of that design, the same problem that plagued the Old EU. Nothing new design wise.
Its got nothing to do with the EU. The T-70 X-Wing is based off of Ralph MacQuarrie's original concept art for the X-Wings.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
K. A. Pital
Glamorous Commie

Post by K. A. Pital »

Vympel wrote:
K. A. Pital wrote:Yes yes, my feelings exactly. Palpatine mark 2.0? W.T.F. Also Snoke sucks, it just does. Palpatine sounds cool. Snoke doesn't it just doesn't!!!
Palpatine sounds like saltine, which is possibly why the name was not uttered once during the original trilogy. "The Emperor" was better.
You are the first person I know to make an association with saltine and not with palpitation or something.

"Supreme Leader" sounds like the DPRK and is ridiculous while "Emperor" is ominous and therefore awesome.

Old SW always win.

Assalti Frontali
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I do agree that Snoke's title sounded ridiculous when spoken. I'd have preferred something more ambiguous, like Lord Snoke.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Vympel wrote:Seriously, how are these even remotely a "worse looking version of the OT armor"?
Maybe this is just me, but for some reason the lines between the "eyes" and "mouth" give me a feeling of crying. Doesn't inspire fear or dread in any sense.

Though I massively like the new X-wings. They give an instant feeling of sleekness, even more than the originals.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Vympel wrote:1. First Order Stormtrooper armor is about as different to Imperial Stormtrooper armor as Clonetrooper armor is.
Clonetrooper armor had completely different lines even leaving aside the completely different helmet. The FO Stormtrooper armor is more or less the same as the Imperial version, just smoother like someone took a stormtrooper action figure and sanded it down. The main difference is the chest piece where the FO Stormtrooper doesn't have the "boob cups" and has some weird hole (maybe for hanging the armor?).

Further, they have a wider variety of weapons. They're simply better realised and more believable soldiers, and they're more competent.
They have the same amount of weapons. They have the repainted E-11, a heavy blaster, the Glock looking sidearm and a melee weapon. The OT Stormtroopers had the proper E-11, the heavy blasters like the DLT-19 (the MG-34) and the T-21 (the Lewis gun), and the SE-14 and scout trooper blaster pistols. The only real difference is we never saw any canon Stormtroopers equipped with any sort of melee weapons but I don't think that makes the inferior equipped.

They weren't anymore competent considering they were still getting their asses handed to them by the heroes, still rushing headlong into firefights without a semblance of tactics, and still had normal but not good enough for Hollywood accuracy.
Seriously, how are these even remotely a "worse looking version of the OT armor"?
Thats just like my opinion man. I think they look worse, especially the chest piece and belt. And the helmet. I like the classic stormtrooper lines and the smoothed out FO stormtrooper just doesn't do it for me.
2. Complete nonsense, the Star Destroyer doesn't look anything like an ISD. There's virtually no similarity there whatsoever apart from the classic wedge shape and a ventral bulb. There is no 'neck' joining the bridge tower to the ventral bulb, the bridge tower itself is assymetrical in design, it has an enormous hangar deck in between the dorsal and ventral hull (seriously, we see Poe and Finn fly throug this, its impossible to miss), its heavy turbolaser armament is heavier and isn't merely concentrated on the dorsal flanks, and it has port and starboard hangars evocative of the Venator-class. Have you even looked at the Resurgent-class?
They have the same general wedge shape, similar style bridge, and a similar profile. They aren't exact copies like the fucktard old EU Victory class SD which was literally a ISD with wings and bigass gun in the bridge but certainly as quite similar. And I think the RSD is worse looking. Too much extra shit and open spaces big enough for a fighter to fly through. The hanger with its conveyor belt style storage system seems less efficient then the roof racks of the ISD. Its heavier armed but at a ridiculous amount, supposed to have over 3,000 turbolasers and ion cannons. The considerably larger Executor (19,000 meters vs just under 3,000) has only 5,000 turbolasers and ion cannons.

3. How is the Starkiller's operation any more "technobabble" than that of the Death Star? "It eats suns" is possibly the simplest thing imaginable while evoking enormous power.
This is more a reference to the new EU. The Death Star was a pretty much just a giant gun the fired through some wacky crystals and a hypermatter reactor that had thermal exhaust ports for exhaust. The Starkiller base fired through some crystalline deposits and was powered by dark energy called "quintessence". It sucked a star dry like a toothless meth addict and the star energy was contained with a "thermal oscillator". In order for the weapon to fire, its weapons engineers would induce a breach in the containment field, allowing the collected dark energy to escape the core through the hollow cylinder opening on the antipodes of the planet relative to the stellar collector. During this process, the dark energy transformed to a state known as "phantom energy", and left the planet behind, tearing a hole through hyperspace along a perfectly linear path. The people stationed at the Base called the dimension through which the phantom energy beam traveled "sub-hyperspace", and this method of delivering the payload was near-instantaneous across vast distances.

Thats getting into Trek levels of technobabble. I prefer the old style of explaining shit which was it fucking works.
Its got nothing to do with the EU. The T-70 X-Wing is based off of Ralph MacQuarrie's original concept art for the X-Wings.
It resembles the design, was not based on it atleast according to Wookiepedia. The similarity was only discovered after the design was finalized. Either way they probably have the same source, based upon concept art done by Ralph MacQuarrie and Joe Johnston.

But I was not saying the Resistance X-Wingadingding was based on the EU Z-95 but the fact they are part of the same problem, just a slightly altered continuation of an existing design. Look at the old EU and its designs. There was very little originality. After ROTJ there was no real new designs even well into the future. The NR continued to use X-Wings and junk decades after the Rebellion, the Galactic Alliance continued this with vaguely X-Wing looking fighter hundreds of years later during the Legacy era. The only real unique fighter was the E-Wing which was a X-Wing with different wings.

There was very little variety among the Empire either, just more TIE variant again all the way too the Legacy era. I mean I even like some of the designs like the TIE Defender but that was just a TIE Interceptor with an extra panel slapped on and them turned around.

Go back to before the Prequels and look at the imagined vehicles of the Clone Wars according to the old EU. The Victory class Star Destroyer which was a ISD but smaller and had drunk some Red Bull. The T.I.E. Fighter which was a TIE Figher but older. The AT-PT which was a AT-ST with windows. The Z-95 Headhunter which was an X-Wing without the X wings. The Juggernaut which was based on concept art and was described as crappy and slow and was considerably different from its later canon version. The only real original design I can think of was the Dreadnaught cruisers.

Now compare all that crap to the actual designs, compare the VicStar to the VenStar, compare the T.I.E. to the to the Eta and Delta Jedi Starfighter and the V-Wing, compare the AT-PT to the AT-AP or AT-RT, compared the Z-95 to the ARC-170, compare the Juggernaut to the Juggernaut. The actual canon designs were original, evocative of the OT counterparts but still their own thang. The EU Legends shit was just intellectually bankrupt rip-offs. And thats what the TFA designs seem like, just rip-offs.

Now I'll admit that doesn't bother me nearly as much as other stuff but its still a bother, its still shows the problem TFA has which is its unwillingness to do anything new or different. Maybe things will change for 7 and 8 when they no longer have to spread them for the rapid OT fatty fanboys who wield the power of their cheeto dust covered keyboards but I don't know.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

K. A. Pital wrote: "Supreme Leader" sounds like the DPRK and is ridiculous while "Emperor" is ominous and therefore awesome.

Old SW always win.
"Supreme Leader" is probably intentional then, since the First Order isn't entitled to the title of 'Empire'.
Joun_Lord wrote:They have the same amount of weapons. They have the repainted E-11, a heavy blaster, the Glock looking sidearm and a melee weapon. The OT Stormtroopers had the proper E-11, the heavy blasters like the DLT-19 (the MG-34) and the T-21 (the Lewis gun), and the SE-14 and scout trooper blaster pistols. The only real difference is we never saw any canon Stormtroopers equipped with any sort of melee weapons but I don't think that makes the inferior equipped.

They weren't anymore competent considering they were still getting their asses handed to them by the heroes, still rushing headlong into firefights without a semblance of tactics, and still had normal but not good enough for Hollywood accuracy.
I'm talking about the FO Stormtroopers compared to the Clones, rather than Imperial Stormtroopers. But you're forgetting the Flamethrower troopers above. Also, the heavy blaster design is better (it has its own integral mount).

As to competence, they behave in a more competent fashion, distinct from whether they get killed by the heroes or not - their chatter is very good, in particular. This shouldn't be surprising anyway given their pilots are so much better.
Thats just like my opinion man. I think they look worse, especially the chest piece and belt. And the helmet. I like the classic stormtrooper lines and the smoothed out FO stormtrooper just doesn't do it for me.
I love arguing about opinions :)
They have the same general wedge shape, similar style bridge, and a similar profile. They aren't exact copies like the fucktard old EU Victory class SD which was literally a ISD with wings and bigass gun in the bridge but certainly as quite similar. And I think the RSD is worse looking. Too much extra shit and open spaces big enough for a fighter to fly through. The hanger with its conveyor belt style storage system seems less efficient then the roof racks of the ISD. Its heavier armed but at a ridiculous amount, supposed to have over 3,000 turbolasers and ion cannons. The considerably larger Executor (19,000 meters vs just under 3,000) has only 5,000 turbolasers and ion cannons.
Do we really care about the official stats? I never really trust the Executor's weaponry numbers - but in terms of heavier armament, I'm merely talking about the visual weapons - the heavy turbolasers in particular. It's a cool graphic though.
This is more a reference to the new EU. The Death Star was a pretty much just a giant gun the fired through some wacky crystals and a hypermatter reactor that had thermal exhaust ports for exhaust. The Starkiller base fired through some crystalline deposits and was powered by dark energy called "quintessence". It sucked a star dry like a toothless meth addict and the star energy was contained with a "thermal oscillator". In order for the weapon to fire, its weapons engineers would induce a breach in the containment field, allowing the collected dark energy to escape the core through the hollow cylinder opening on the antipodes of the planet relative to the stellar collector. During this process, the dark energy transformed to a state known as "phantom energy", and left the planet behind, tearing a hole through hyperspace along a perfectly linear path. The people stationed at the Base called the dimension through which the phantom energy beam traveled "sub-hyperspace", and this method of delivering the payload was near-instantaneous across vast distances.
That's not really an issue with the movie though. That's mostly from the TFA novelization with a smattering of the Visual Dictionary re the "crystalline deposits". We have no indication what the crystalline deposits have to do with anything, but it can't be anything involving 'firing'. More likely to do with the containment prior to firing.
Now compare all that crap to the actual designs, compare the VicStar to the VenStar, compare the T.I.E. to the to the Eta and Delta Jedi Starfighter and the V-Wing, compare the AT-PT to the AT-AP or AT-RT, compared the Z-95 to the ARC-170, compare the Juggernaut to the Juggernaut. The actual canon designs were original, evocative of the OT counterparts but still their own thang. The EU Legends shit was just intellectually bankrupt rip-offs. And thats what the TFA designs seem like, just rip-offs.
Personally I'm not a big fan of the prequel designs. I liked the ARC-170, the Venator-class and the Juggernaut (based on concept art from the original trilogy, though), but the rest ... eh. It wasn't very intelligently designed. The Jedi fighters in particular were just terrible. Complete garbage. The Delta-7s couldn't fit an R2 unit (just like the Naboo N1s) and the Eta-2s were a kludge of TIE Fighters that just looked all kinds of wrong. The original trilogy designs, on a whole, were simply better, so I prefer for TFA to 'ape' them as a starting point at least.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Vympel wrote:I'm talking about the FO Stormtroopers compared to the Clones, rather than Imperial Stormtroopers. But you're forgetting the Flamethrower troopers above. Also, the heavy blaster design is better (it has its own integral mount).
You are probably correct about the Clones. I know the Clones had the weird upside down heavy rifle the DC-15A and the E-11 without a scope looking DC-15s and that was about it. I think they had missile launchers and hand blasters in the Clone Wars series but I never really watched enough to confirm.
As to competence, they behave in a more competent fashion, distinct from whether they get killed by the heroes or not - their chatter is very good, in particular. This shouldn't be surprising anyway given their pilots are so much better.
We never really heard the combat chatter of the OT stormtroopers too much. It honestly made more sense that you couldn't hear them, that their combat chatter would be "closed circuit" as in not broadcast for all the galaxy to hear. Things like calling in air support they OT Stormies never could do. No air support of Hoth because of the shield and because the atmosphere was hostile to aircraft that hadn't been properly modified. No air support on Endor because of the thick forest canopy.

And I wouldn't say the pilots were better. Certainly the two chasing Mary Sue..... I mean Rey were extremely good but they were probably some of the best pilots and not exactly all that different from what TIE pilots chasing the Falcon inside the DS II did successfully. Normal TIE pilots died normally against the X-Wings and got their chamber door rapped by Poe.
Do we really care about the official stats? I never really trust the Executor's weaponry numbers - but in terms of heavier armament, I'm merely talking about the visual weapons - the heavy turbolasers in particular. It's a cool graphic though.
The official stats are supposed to be canon even if they are incredibly dumb as fuck. And its all we got to go off of until people start going over the ship model with a magnifying glass to see how close to reality those numbers are. But yeah, the armament is probably heavier if for nothing else then its a bigger and newer ship then the ISD.
That's not really an issue with the movie though. That's mostly from the TFA novelization with a smattering of the Visual Dictionary re the "crystalline deposits". We have no indication what the crystalline deposits have to do with anything, but it can't be anything involving 'firing'. More likely to do with the containment prior to firing.
Like I said, that is mostly just an EU complaint. I've long since abhorred technobabble. While I'm not exactly a fan of the "its magic so I ain't gotta explain shit" approach its far better then a bunch of random made up nonsense or even worse a bunch of misused real nonsense. And I don't know about the crystals beyond they are supposed to be energy transmitting. They bother me not too much considering even the Death Star was supposed to have bullshit bullshit power crystals that were apparently oversized lightsaber crystals.
Personally I'm not a big fan of the prequel designs. I liked the ARC-170, the Venator-class and the Juggernaut (based on concept art from the original trilogy, though), but the rest ... eh. It wasn't very intelligently designed. The Jedi fighters in particular were just terrible. Complete garbage. The Delta-7s couldn't fit an R2 unit (just like the Naboo N1s) and the Eta-2s were a kludge of TIE Fighters that just looked all kinds of wrong. The original trilogy designs, on a whole, were simply better, so I prefer for TFA to 'ape' them as a starting point at least.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the PT designs were superior. Some were, some weren't. Clonetrooper armor is cool but nothing beats OT stormie armor and the TIE Fighter is a far better looking fighter then its predecessors. But my main thing is they were different. DIfferent isn't always good but different shows, for lack of a better term, that something different is being tried. Some PT trilogy designs succeeded, the ARC-170 was fucking badass and the AT-TE is was more sensible then the AT-AT, while others like the Jedi Starfighters were kinda iffy if not downright stupid (the hyperspace ring and how tiny the fighters were still bothers me). But even so they weren't just photocopies of the OT designs like the old EU did and TFA did.

The Force Snoozes should be "aping" the OT designs but should still be doing their own thing. The difference between the Rebellion era X-Wing and the fighter of the goddamn retarded why the fuck do you exist its just to piss me off isn't it Resistance should be like the difference between the F-4 Phantom and the F-18 . Similar enough you can tell they are part of the same family but still different, showing decades of advancement in design.
APlayerHater
Padawan Learner

Post by APlayerHater »

It 'seemed' like the X-wings from TFA were supposed to be the same X-wings from the OT era, in which case the OT movies accomplished basically dick all because the new republic really, really, really sucks. TFO was right to blow them up. (Nvm EDIT)

Also, I've seen toys of a black X-wing piloted by Poe. I don't remember Poe ever flying a black X-wing.

Anyway, Poe seemed really psyched about flying the new TIE fighter. My impression was that the new TIEs were more advanced (rear mounted guns. Um.. Other... Features..(?)) than the X-wings. Would make sense, since The First Order apparently has infinite resources and a massive R&D department for no adequately explained reason. What has TNR been doing this whole time? Seriously. They just keep their fleet landed on a planet somewhere and stand around wearing stupid hats?

EDIT: Oh, they are new xwings. Okay. They're still not black, despite what wookiepedia would have me believe.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

APlayerHater wrote:It 'seemed' like the X-wings from TFA were supposed to be the same X-wings from the OT era, in which case the OT movies accomplished basically dick all because the new republic really, really, really sucks. TFO was right to blow them up.
Yeah. Nevermind that you're completely wrong (as you apparently found out later, though it boggles the mind how you could've thought the TFA X-Wings
were the same as the OT ones when they look significantly different), how would them flying the same fighters 30 years later (which, as mentioned, they didn't) amount to the OT accomplishing 'dick all'? How many examples of real world Air Forces flying the same family of planes for 30 years (UNlike the X-Wings in TFA, often visually very close to the original) would you like?
Also, I've seen toys of a black X-wing piloted by Poe. I don't remember Poe ever flying a black X-wing.
ICS (and you're right, he never did). Somebody apparently took his 'Black One' callsign a bit too far.
Anyway, Poe seemed really psyched about flying the new TIE fighter. My impression was that the new TIEs were more advanced (rear mounted guns. Um.. Other... Features..(?)) than the X-wings.
Seriously? We've had rear mounted guns on airplanes since warplanes existed.
Would make sense, since The First Order apparently has infinite resources and a massive R&D department for no adequately explained reason.
You will now no doubt explain where you know this from, because it sure as hell isn't the movie.
What has TNR been doing this whole time? Seriously. They just keep their fleet landed on a planet somewhere and stand around wearing stupid hats?
Your evidence for that is?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

APlayerHater wrote:It 'seemed' like the X-wings from TFA were supposed to be the same X-wings from the OT era, in which case the OT movies accomplished basically dick all because the new republic really, really, really sucks. TFO was right to blow them up. (Nvm EDIT)

Anyway, Poe seemed really psyched about flying the new TIE fighter. My impression was that the new TIEs were more advanced (rear mounted guns. Um.. Other... Features..(?)) than the X-wings. Would make sense, since The First Order apparently has infinite resources and a massive R&D department for no adequately explained reason. What has TNR been doing this whole time? Seriously. They just keep their fleet landed on a planet somewhere and stand around wearing stupid hats?

EDIT: Oh, they are new xwings. Okay. They're still not black, despite what wookiepedia would have me believe.

Serious question - did you watch the movie? There were a few of the black "scissor-wing" X-Wings, and there were a few of the more traditional looking ones. Also note that the first X-Wing Poe had on Jakku was able to deploy a rear-facing turret.

There are the 2-man Recon TIEs, which Poe and Finn took to escape from the Star Destroyer - it had the extra turret and pulse warheads. There were also the regular TIEs, which pursued Rey and Finn as they fled Jakku; Those did not demonstrate having another gun, nor did they fire any warheads. TIEs have historically been faster and more maneuverable than Rebel fighters, so Poe being impressed by those factors just means that he had either underestimated this aspect of them, or simply never had a chance to fly one.

Also note that the Resistance is basically an off the books operation, run on limited funding, so as to maintain plausible deniability from the actual New Republic, so it may be the case that they're not using the most advanced fighters that are out there. You can argue that they actually have made advancements, as they no longer use Y-Wings at all, which were considered old by the time of ANH.

Here's the 2-man version: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/sf_s ... ty_fighter
Here's the 1-man variant: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/TIE/fo_s ... ty_fighter
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Batman wrote:
APlayerHater wrote:Also, I've seen toys of a black X-wing piloted by Poe. I don't remember Poe ever flying a black X-wing.
ICS (and you're right, he never did). Somebody apparently took his 'Black One' callsign a bit too far.
Um, yes, he did. During both the Battle of Takodana...

...and the Battle of Starkiller Base.

What are, you All-Star Batman today? :P
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I just saw it again at the Dollar Theater, in a matinee yesterday. I couldn't even get through it this time. The first 30 minutes were actually better than what I remembered the first time I saw it in theater, but then it slowed down a bit once Han shows up, and it just became progressively unwatchable for me. I struggled and stuck it out for another 40 minutes or so and then left.

Kylo Ren and Finn both improved as characters on rewatch, though. I especially like Ren because he feels original and different - he's the first try-hard that we've had in the setting.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood