The Ghosts of Star Wars Merchandising Past...

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

The Ghosts of Star Wars Merchandising Past...

Post by MKSheppard »

Today, while hunting through a huge pile of trash (10 x 55 gallon bags easily) dumped in some woods that we had to clean up today; I picked up a faded mountain dew collectible can with jar jar on it from episode 1.

Just think, that can survived 16 years in the woods until I picked it up to take it to the trash dump.

"All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die."

EDIT:

Can in question.
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Re: The Ghosts of Star Wars Merchandising Past...

Post by Vympel »

Should've taken a photo. Even so, this still sounds sad as hell. I bet Jar Jar was giving that stupid fucking thumbs up.

EDIT: Wow, that can almost looks brand new. Its as sad as I imagined.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
MKSheppard

Post by MKSheppard »

Actually, that's a photo of a "like new" can that I found to illustrate.

The actual can was very heavily faded; but still recognizable (Jar Jar, green, etc)
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It's kind of funny to see how various characters are promoted, vs how they are presented in the movie and received by the fandom... Captain Phasma was probably promoted as much in various material for TFA, but look how little she has to do with the movie...
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

biostem wrote:It's kind of funny to see how various characters are promoted, vs how they are presented in the movie and received by the fandom... Captain Phasma was probably promoted as much in various material for TFA, but look how little she has to do with the movie...
I googled some prequel merchandise articles out of random curiosity and it is really insane how big the marketing drive was for TPM - every indication was that it was far in excess of TFA. We're talking insane levels - 26 different "collectibles" of the same set from 5 different fast-food store type shit. Just imagine the landfill.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I... actually need to see that movie at the earliest feasible time... hopefully before it runs out of theaters.

[Was preparing for a major trip among other things when it came out]

But it occurs to me that since I gather Captain Phasma isn't dead or anything, she might well end up having a somewhat more prominent role in later movies. Although the character certainly is very merchandisable, being a big shiny stormtrooper.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Oh man, I remember those cans. I had an Anakin, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan.

Also the Pizza Hut, Taco Ball (damn that dog!) and KFC crossovers they did. The latter two got their mascots, I think. The stupid Chihuahua was definitely there, and I guess a Colonel Sanders for KFC. But Pizza Hut got like the hottest delivery girl ever for their representative. I think she's still a little Internet famous all these years later.

At least, I remember her. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

biostem wrote:It's kind of funny to see how various characters are promoted, vs how they are presented in the movie and received by the fandom... Captain Phasma was probably promoted as much in various material for TFA, but look how little she has to do with the movie...
At least Phasma doesn't make you want to reach through the screen and physically strangle the character.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

My dad and I went to Toys R Us back before EP-1 came out and stood in line at midnight to pick up a couple Darth Maul lightsabers, a pair of Qui Gon lightsabers, and misc other stuff. Much of it we still have but the value is less than when we bought it. Oh man, that movie was so over-hyped....
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

So basically I am the only person on earth who liked Jar Jar?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Yes.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Purple wrote:So basically I am the only person on earth who liked Jar Jar?
No. If you were actually a person you wouldn't like him.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Good point. I'm being too generous again. I shall have to go and exterminate something to rstore my true Dalek nature.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I've been watching The Clone Wars, and it irks me that they even gave Jar Jar his own episodes...
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

biostem wrote:
I've been watching The Clone Wars, and it irks me that they even gave Jar Jar his own episodes...
I always wondered if that was a mandate from George or if Dave Filoni actually wanted to do Jar Jar episodes.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

Galvatron wrote:
biostem wrote:
I always wondered if that was a mandate from George or if Dave Filoni actually wanted to do Jar Jar episodes.
Ironically, there were some Artoo/Treepio-centric episodes, and they were usually pretty good.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I'm not sure why that's ironic since the droids have never been nearly as unpopular as Jar Jar.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Borgholio wrote:My dad and I went to Toys R Us back before EP-1 came out and stood in line at midnight to pick up a couple Darth Maul lightsabers, a pair of Qui Gon lightsabers, and misc other stuff. Much of it we still have but the value is less than when we bought it. Oh man, that movie was so over-hyped....
Its not really the movie's fault - the only SW collectibles with any value are:

1. Star Wars LEGO - just like all LEGO (note: if they keep producing a set well beyond they normally cease production, you could lose out big - refer to the LEGO Death Star);
2. Original Trilogy Star Wars toys - those released when the films first came out.

Toys produced in the 1990s onwards were produced in vast quantities, and are unlikely to ever be worth anything. Maybe many decades from now. Maybe.
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

You can probably count the number of people ON PLANET EARTH who actually like Jar Jar Binks, on the fingers of one hand- and one of them is George Lucas himself.
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

The number of people who truly hated Jar Jar is probably relatively small compared to the ones who merely found him annoying or useless but yes I think there's very few people who actually liked him.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'