Ep7 Reviews (Spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Re: Ep7 Reviews (Spoilers)

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Darth Yan wrote:This article is some months old but
http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/st ... erComments
I will give a 30 second version of this. Because Star Wars gives an unrealistic view of reality, in exactly the same fashion as every other work of fiction, it is bad. I don't see why one should blame this on Star Wars, given that this also applies to James Bond movies, which also had the absurd fantasy for adults in the 1960s, or to "gritty" 1990s reality based dramas or thrillers, in which issues are resolved by defeating a concrete bad guy, even in cases where this shouldn't apply(like the corruption inherent to business and politics or to overreaction to terrorism*).

In other words, people watch and read fiction to be entertained and have an escape from the dull nature of reality, not to have their eyes opened to some ground shattering truth. While this is in some ways problematic, it is also human nature. We shouldn't blame films for society's problems, we should blame society.

* For the politics example, see The American President(Michael Douglas), which had a Republican opponent in the election as an actual villain, who was never once shown as reasonable. For the terrorist example see The Siege, with Denzel Washington and Bruce Willis as the heroic FBI supervisor and largely villainous US Army general respectively. Both also starred Annette Benning, as the love interest for the President and a CIA officer respectively.
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Yawn; pseudo intellectual dislikes modern fantasy because of its fantastical elements; it's not even worth a second glance unless he's also willing to say that the Odyssey is the same for its time, or that Shakespeare's Midsummer Night's Dream is lightweight and asinine (men's heads being replaced by faeries!!!111). I wouldn't even bother commenting unless the author is willing to swear down to those two premises.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Galvatron wrote:Here we go.

*snip self-satisfied asshole's pretentious video*
One of these days, sometime soon I hope, someone will do an "Everything Wrong With Cinema Sins And the Smarmy Asshole Who Makes It."
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Here we go.

*snip self-satisfied asshole's pretentious video*
One of these days, sometime soon I hope, someone will do an "Everything Wrong With Cinema Sins And the Smarmy Asshole Who Makes It."
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Conceded, then. I'll go fuck off now.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford