Cinema Sins does A New Hope

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Cinema Sins does A New Hope

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I haven't watched it yet, but it is amusing in light of the criticism that the prequels get:
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Re: Cinema Sins does A New Hope

Post by SAMAS »

Honestly, Kevin was a bit of a low point of the thing. Naturally, he doesn't flow with it as well as Jeremy, but Jeremy still seemed to work better with, for contrast, Neil DeGrasse Tyson in the Gravity and Interstellar videos.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

It was an amusing watch, to be sure, but as SAMAS pointed out, Kevin Smith's commentary didn't mesh well with the main narrator's.

There were a few points that I thought they were harping on for no real reason - like how 2 suns should necessarily make it daylight all the time - if they were part of a binary system, then it is very possible that they share a common sunrise and sunset...

Either way, it was something fun to listen to on my lunch break. :-)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

biostem wrote: There were a few points that I thought they were harping on for no real reason - like how 2 suns should necessarily make it daylight all the time - if they were part of a binary system, then it is very possible that they share a common sunrise and sunset...
That is incredibly stupid. A much better point is that there should be two overlapping shadows, in the same fashion that you see if you have two lights on in the same room.
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

"There goes another one." - "An escape pod.": the other ones presumably did have life forms.
"Must've short circuited." - "That's where the plans are.": Throwaway lines like this aside, the imprssion is given that they'd rather make sure they'd found the plans before blasting them into atoms; however, if you think further, they had tractor rays that they could've used to get those escape pods with people on them, for the same purpose.

I can point out the logical problems better than CinemaSins can.

And then their bit about slow moving droids and what not is just stupid.

Anyway, is the whole video gonna be like this?
but it is amusing in light of the criticism that the prequels get:
This is one of the tired memes floating around - that "the prequels get nitpicked like this, but the originals had logical problems too!".
And the response that follows this is usually "yeah well nitpicking shmitpicking, but what about the major issues - and the answer to that is, there are a lot of "major" issues that can be applied in different degrees to I/II, ROTS or ROTJ that hardly can be applied to Wars and Empire... however, despite this, a lot of those major criticisms actually voiced happen to be utter nonsense themselves.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

SAMAS wrote:Honestly, Kevin was a bit of a low point of the thing.
I felt the same thing when I watched it a few days ago, that Tyson's contributions to his shared videos might have been different, but Smith's were worse.
biostem wrote:There were a few points that I thought they were harping on for no real reason - like how 2 suns should necessarily make it daylight all the time - if they were part of a binary system, then it is very possible that they share a common sunrise and sunset...
I thought the sin was that both suns were above the horizon, but that the two suns weren't putting out as much light as you'd expect two sunsets to do. He's still wrong, though: those suns could be more distant or less bright, such that together they are not twice as bright as our sun is.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Grumman wrote: I felt the same thing when I watched it a few days ago, that Tyson's contributions to his shared videos might have been different, but Smith's were worse.
I believe that was because the criticisms were not made together with Tyson but that they used the spoken form of his original twitter feed after he watched the movie. In the case of those, it was because the people who make CinemaSins videos are not experts in astrophysics.

My guess is that they wrote the video around Tyson's comments rather than simply adding them.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I shut it off at 4:17 -the point at which I realized that the Red Letter Retard videos are only the second most pathetic thing to appear on YouTube.