Would you be opposed to a romance between Han and Rey?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Would it be wrong for Han and Rey to hook up if they're not related?

Nope, I'm open-minded. Punch it, you old pirate!
30%
Yes! I have a totally rational, objective and scientific reason to oppose that sort of thing.
30%
Uh...gross...and fuck you for putting that image in my head, you asshole.
40%

Total votes: 40

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Would you be opposed to a romance between Han and Rey?

Post by Simon_Jester »

I would much prefer to see the idea that people can change, and that stable relationships can exist even between people who are different. Otherwise, that's not people changing- that's people reverting to their prior nature and breaking up as a result.

I think our society is too much in love with the idea that people have to be more or less identical in order to be together or to find anything desirable in each other. That everyone's relationship has to work on the same footing. It pigeonholes us.

Also I think we should ditch the idea that dumping your significant other is a sign of personal 'growth.' From what I have seen in those around me, it's more common for a relationship to break up because someone refuses to grow, refuses to compromise, adapt, evolve, or accept a higher level of responsibility.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I guess it depends on if Han is a cameo or a transitional sort to ease you into a new era by using an old era to get you comfortable first, or if he is a main/secondary character meant to participate firmly in the main plot line. If he is the first, they may not have to get to deep into his 30 year history and just toss a couple lines out there about where he as been and with who. If he is more substantive in the plot, fans will want more motivations on why he is doing what he is doing.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Benny the Ball
Redshirt

Post by Benny the Ball »

Now why would anyone be opposed to it? It's not like that sort of thing isn't common as dirt in Hollywood already. What's one more? </sarcasm> </buzzkill> :D
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

I can't stand Woody Allen movies because so many of them show an old goat macking on girls in their 20s. It's only slightly less creepy with Harrison Ford and a twentysomething.
Andy Wylde
Youngling

Post by Andy Wylde »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tPsxClqrAc

The whole Rey-Han situation reminds me of this video!
I had to laugh out loud as the enraptured nerds and the Disney staff were mesmerized by a muppet that looked like a reject from Fraggle Rock. Who knew muppets and matte lines were what made Star Wars so great?-Elfdart
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

In real life Harrison Ford is married to Callistia Flockheart who is twenty years younger than him. But that is not the same as Daisy Ridley who is fifty years younger than him. He was practically old enough for retirement before she hit puberty. There is something fundamentally wrong with that. Any time the age difference is sufficient that it could reasonably be a father-daughter relationship, there is a problem.

Large age differences, though not usually this extreme, are actually quite common in Hollywood. Jennifer Lawrence in particular is often cast with actors much order than she is(a common choice being Bradly Cooper, 15 years older). In reality the overwhelming majority are within a mere five years. Only around three percent are more than ten years.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I guess it's a moot point now, but I thought I saw a spark there...
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Galvatron wrote:I guess it's a moot point now, but I thought I saw a spark there...
As did I, but it was more of a "kindred spirit" or father-daughter relationship thing going. Kind of a, "Hey I like this kid..."
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

EDIT: I was going to make a joke here, but the spoiler tag didn't work like I expected.

I agree that the age difference between Han and Rey is too much.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Spoiler tags don't work. Might want to omit it entirely...
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Borgholio wrote:
Galvatron wrote:I guess it's a moot point now, but I thought I saw a spark there...
As did I, but it was more of a "kindred spirit" or father-daughter relationship thing going. Kind of a, "Hey I like this kid..."
Pretty sure she is Luke's kid, which would make Han her uncle.

Also, I am all on board with the Poe/Finn shipping. The social signals were all queer coded between those two...
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Oh no doubt.
Also, I am all on board with the Poe/Finn shipping. The social signals were all queer coded between those two...
While I would not be against it myself, I wonder if most of the SW fanbase is ready for an on-screen gay relationship?
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

cell phone decided to stop being smart.
Last edited by Tychu on 2015-12-26 08:00pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Borgholio wrote:
Oh no doubt.
While I would not be against it myself, I wonder if most of the SW fanbase is ready for an on-screen gay relationship?
I can see for Finn, but not Poe. There could be more to Finns "a cute boyfriend" question. Who's to say that the stormtrooper that leaves a bloody hand on his helmet wasn't a male friend.

I could give two s**ts either way. But it better be organic and make sense. I don't want a "look we have a homosexual couple!" Nonsense
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Yeah. Like the Finn/Rey romance isn't inevitable by now.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Zeropoint
Jedi Knight

Post by Zeropoint »

You'd THINK so, but we've seen how that works out. Some time after their first kiss, they'll discover that they're siblings.
I'm a cis-het white male, and I oppose racism, sexism, homophobia, and transphobia. I support treating all humans equally.

When fascism came to America, it was wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.

That which will not bend must break and that which can be destroyed by truth should never be spared its demise.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

Well han's dead so...
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Tychu wrote:
Borgholio wrote:
Oh no doubt.
I can see for Finn, but not Poe. There could be more to Finns "a cute boyfriend" question. Who's to say that the stormtrooper that leaves a bloody hand on his helmet wasn't a male friend.

I could give two s**ts either way. But it better be organic and make sense. I don't want a "look we have a homosexual couple!" Nonsense
I got more of a friends vibe than a gay vibe from Finn and Poe. Finn's very enthusiastic, but he just seems to be that way in general, and given he's an indoctrinated soldier with no name to being with, Poe might very well be the first real friend he's ever had.

Plus, yes, they're setting up Finn and Rey, it seems.

But hey, in the unlikely event that they want to make Finn bisexual and have him hook up with Rey and Poe, I won't be complaining, as long as its reasonably well-written.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I will give Disney major props if they make two of the three of their next generation of Star Wars heroes gay or bi, and have them become a couple. I just don't see it happening, for domestic and international selling reasons. Finn and Rey seem like the direction they are hinting at, even if Poe and Finn have great chemistry.
Balrog
Jedi Council Member

Post by Balrog »

If you're looking for LGBT characters in SW, read the new EU; practically every other character is gay it seems.

As for the making the new main three gay, nope. I really see no way you could make it "reasonably well-written" and/or not seem forced, like every time people bring up making popular straight superheroes suddenly gay, which would just detract from whatever story Ep8 and 9 would try to tell.
'Ai! ai!' wailed Legolas. 'A Balrog! A Balrog is come!'
Gimli stared with wide eyes. 'Durin's Bane!' he cried, and letting his axe fall he covered his face.
'A Balrog,' muttered Gandalf. 'Now I understand.' He faltered and leaned heavily on his staff. 'What an evil fortune! And I am already weary.'
- J.R.R Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FaxModem1 wrote:I will give Disney major props if they make two of the three of their next generation of Star Wars heroes gay or bi, and have them become a couple.
Why a couple? Why not a bisexual, interracial Heinlein-style group marriage? :D
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Galvatron wrote:
FaxModem1 wrote:I will give Disney major props if they make two of the three of their next generation of Star Wars heroes gay or bi, and have them become a couple.
Why a couple? Why not a bisexual, interracial Heinlein-style group marriage? :D
Disney: Where the only thing stopping our heroes from starting an orgy is that they have to save the world.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Probably a bit too "mature" for the Disney corporation, given their core demographic seems to be kids/families.

Of course, I don't doubt that there's already a hundred fanfics on the subject. :roll: