a new, better and The Reasonable refutation of the Plinkus reviews... maybe?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Re: a new, better and The Reasonable refutation of the Plinkus reviews... maybe?

Post by NecronLord »

No stealth necromancy either, thank you.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Re: a new, better and The Reasonable refutation of the Plinkus reviews... maybe?

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

But I thought
"Let Dead Threads Lie. Do not post in old, inactive threads (eg- no activity for more than a month). If you want to resurrect an old subject, it is preferable to make a new thread with a URL reference to the old one."
?

Or can you resurrect topics, but not quote specific posts?
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

You can quote them, but it's a little snide to reply to something in a long-closed thread in a thread the original posters may never get to reply to.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

Well he can if he wants! If I didn't know they check out these forums occasionaly, I wouldn't have posted it - in accordance with my OP, a dissenting audience is a requirement ; )

So yeah, it'd be a way to (for now) end this thread on something substantive pertaining to the topic, but if it's against some particular rule of replying to old posts then obviously I won't.
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

Alright so I had a considerable follow-up saved up in case the mod returned with a swift greenlight, but then the computer crashed and only like 1/5th of it got saved in the cache, no way I'm gonna type out all that shite again and I don't care anymore.

Might've found a few places in the meantime... so we'll see.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

If you really want a reasonable refutation of the Red Letter Moron's videos, Mike Wong does it concisely here:
Jesus Fucking Christ, is this guy honestly that goddamned stupid? He can't understand the plot of a Star Wars film? We're not talking about "Rashomon" here, for fuck's sake. The plot is as linear as they come. If anything, the film tries too hard to fill in all the gaps. This guy must be a flaming retard.
Consider the mic dropped.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

I give the Prequel Trilogy some extra credit because they actually had to tell a more complex story: how Anakin fell to the Dark Side, and how the Republic collapsed into the Empire. It's not like the Original Trilogy, where they could get away with White Hat-Black Hat simplification until the very end of the second movie, and even then keep it for everything except Anakin and Luke in ROTJ.

Yet somehow that becomes a point of praise for the Original Trilogy. Hell, I have a suspicion that if the Original Trilogy came out today (presumably with better graphics) it'd be heavily criticized for that. Criticisms like "So, we're not going to touch on the fact that Alderaan was blown apart at all with billions wiped out in any of the subsequent movies? What impact does this have on Leia personally? Etc". It reminds me of an ancient thread where RedImperator was heavily criticizing the old Battlestar Galactica series for adopting a light-hearted, devil may care vibe in its opening pilot mere days after an entire civilization was annihilated.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

1) Criticized for what?
The Black/white issue isn't criticized in either LOTR or the Avengers - people like that as much as they did then.
SW came out when people were a lot angstier and snobbier, so while I don't remember criticisms about plot holes, there were plenty that were like "oh simple fairytale lolololol".

2) Nah, I-III are quite black and white, in fact as much as the OT.
Neither is there any "complexity" - except with the details of that background mystery plot with the corporations and what not which were left in the dark and seemed to get rewritten for every new movie.
But it's basically greedy B-movie mustache twirlers and dark sorcerers vs. the good Jedi and Queens and politicians.

Anakin's psychology and the intrigue in the 1st half are layered, but that's only in ROTS and it was a deliberate choice that went against the OT's "seduced by the dark aggression" concept which was more similar to Tolkien.
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

Elfdart wrote:If you really want a reasonable refutation of the Red Letter Moron's videos, Mike Wong does it concisely here:
Jesus Fucking Christ, is this guy honestly that goddamned stupid? He can't understand the plot of a Star Wars film? We're not talking about "Rashomon" here, for fuck's sake. The plot is as linear as they come. If anything, the film tries too hard to fill in all the gaps. This guy must be a flaming retard.
Consider the mic dropped.
That was a horrible rebuttal, as bad if not worse than Jim Raynor - skipped to the last couple of pages of the thread and it seems nothing but nitpick discussions at that point.

Obviously I could elaborate, but apparently it's "snide" or something.
Prometheus Unbound
Jedi Master

Post by Prometheus Unbound »

I believe Mr Wong is using some questionable debate techniques there.

He is begging the question, using ad hominem, argument from fallacy, argumentum ad lapidem, Argument from (personal) incredulity and probably a few more.

He doesn't actually rebut or repudiate anything at all, just throws insults. Wong would never insult someone in a post, though, would he? :-)
NecronLord wrote:
Also, shorten your signature a couple of lines please.
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

He makes incorrect observations about the films themselves, and is tone-deaf as well (comparing Anakin in the space battle to Padme in the palace? really?) - I didn't even start looking for "fallacies" lol.