FTL communications in an asteroid field

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

FTL communications in an asteroid field

Post by Ace Pace »

This question came up in my head after a recent showing of ESB. What precisely makes FTL communications unwise in an asteroid field?

In ESB when the Emperor wishes Darth Vader to communicate with him, Vader immediately orders the ship to leave the asteroid field in order to communicate.

FTL movement makes sense (during acceleration, you can run into pretty much anything) and yet local comms worked just fine. Also, as far as I can recall, communication technology is never precisely explained in the EU.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: FTL communications in an asteroid field

Post by Batman »

At least one Star Destroyer lost local communications due to the stupidly dense asteroid field. How about the antennae used for holographic FTL comms need to be poked outside your shields to function and don't take kindly to having big hunks of rock smashing into them?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I believe Vader ordered they leave the asteroid field in order to get a clear/clean signal - basically, Vader didn't want any static on a call where the other party was someone as important as the Emperor...

They may have also had shields up and been actively using their turbo lasers to shoot down any asteroids that got too close, which may also contribute to the interference.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

The interference may only apply to holo-communications. They obviously received a non-video transmission demanding that Vader contact the Emperor prior to exiting the asteroid field. I would suspect that just like with modern telecommunications where high-bandwidth transmissions like HD satellite TV would suffer greater interference from physical obstructions (such as heavy rain) compared to low-bandwidth transmissions like FM radio...holo-transmissions are probably more sensitive to interference than text messages.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Borgholio wrote:The interference may only apply to holo-communications. They obviously received a non-video transmission demanding that Vader contact the Emperor prior to exiting the asteroid field. I would suspect that just like with modern telecommunications where high-bandwidth transmissions like HD satellite TV would suffer greater interference from physical obstructions (such as heavy rain) compared to low-bandwidth transmissions like FM radio...holo-transmissions are probably more sensitive to interference than text messages.
This sounds fishy to me. Entire star systems don't get in the way of communications but a puny asteroid?
Batman wrote:At least one Star Destroyer lost local communications due to the stupidly dense asteroid field. How about the antennae used for holographic FTL comms need to be poked outside your shields to function and don't take kindly to having big hunks of rock smashing into them?
That Star Destroyer seemed to have been hit with a huge rock. What you say makes sense and yet they managed to receive some sort of transmission. Since FTL comms are so far out of our RL knowledge, we can't start making an accurate guess if you require a larger antenna to transmit/receive more data.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

It's non-canon Legends now, but The Last Command had as a plot point that planetary shields blocked long-range communications, and IIRC that applied to ships as well. So it could be that having shields up interferes? At least with holo-comms. Though maybe it's more of an issue of sending than receiving. Or maybe they can do one or the other but not both at the same time.

Of course that's all non-canon now, and Borgholio's theory is just as likely at this point. Not sure if any of the new EU books have touched on the subject.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ace Pace wrote:
Borgholio wrote:The interference may only apply to holo-communications. They obviously received a non-video transmission demanding that Vader contact the Emperor prior to exiting the asteroid field. I would suspect that just like with modern telecommunications where high-bandwidth transmissions like HD satellite TV would suffer greater interference from physical obstructions (such as heavy rain) compared to low-bandwidth transmissions like FM radio...holo-transmissions are probably more sensitive to interference than text messages.
This sounds fishy to me. Entire star systems don't get in the way of communications but a puny asteroid?
Star systems are big and sparse, and almost all of their mass is located in a few specific places.

If you're at a random point in interplanetary space, there's a high probability that you have a clear line of sight to a random star of your choosing elsewhere in the galaxy, with nothing bigger than random interstellar dust particles to get in the way, and not even many of those (there's a reason we can image the galactic core clearly using the infrared spectrum). The odds are that all the big rocks are somewhere out of the way. If this weren't true, then the stars in the night sky would be constantly winking in and out of view as random rocks got in the way of our line of sight to them.

And even if, by some strange mischance, you can't get line of sight on the planet you want to send your signal to, the Star Wars galaxy has highly developed infrastructure- you'll be able to route your signal to some base or installation or relay that can then forward the message to its destination.

By contrast, if you're in an absurdly cluttered asteroid field, there's a much higher risk of a half-kilometer boulder randomly drifting into the path of your signal. Moreover, all the asteroids are in your immediate vicinity surrounding you in all directions, so you can't just route your communications around the obstacle while you're standing in the middle of it.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

I might remember it wrong, but I think I read somewhere that ship shields interfere with FTL communications and I don't think the imperials would want to take the shields down in such a dense asteroid field.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

There is the aforementioned incident in the Thrawn Trilogy about shielding and battle debris effecting long range communication which was why a Dark Jedi with Battle Coordination was so devastating in multiple hit and run attacks.

Another thing to consider is that the asteroids themselves may contain metals which inhibit communications. Again this is now Legends but in Darksaber *shudders* the Hutts were able to mine enough material from the Hoth asteroid field to construct Darksaber.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten