New information about Han Solo (spoilers)

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: New information about Han Solo (spoilers)

Post by Galvatron »

Alyrium Denryle wrote:This is a man who gave up his career in order to rescue a few Wookiees from slavery.
Is that even still canon? If so, it always struck as me strange that Lucas himself apparently never wanted that story told.
cmdrjones
Jedi Knight

Post by cmdrjones »

Havok wrote:Geezuz. The EU, new or old, will do anything to cheapen Han's journey in the OT and make him the lovable rouge instead of the criminal, murdering, smuggler he was. Do people not understand his transition in the OT? I mean, is it more complicated than I think?

It's just how people cheapen Luke's journey by having every other Jedi fall do the Dark Side and get redeemed, or cheapen Anakin's journey by resurrecting Palpatine.

I hope it ends up as some marriage of convenience or some bet he won like Knife suggested. Or at least handle it like he was a complete prick with no excuses back in the day and now, with Leia, he understands what he did and apologizes for it.

This^ 1000 times. Here's to good story telling!!!
Terralthra wrote:It's similar to the Arabic word for "one who sows discord" or "one who crushes underfoot". It'd be like if the acronym for the some Tea Party thing was "DKBAG" or something. In one sense, it's just the acronym for ISIL/ISIS in Arabic: Dawlat (al-) Islāmiyya ‘Irāq Shām, but it's also an insult.
"Democratic Korps (of those who are) Beneficently Anti-Government"
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Galvatron wrote:Is that even still canon? If so, it always struck as me strange that Lucas himself apparently never wanted that story told.
Wasn't that heavily implied by ending of RotS? Lucas very specifically had Yoda say that name.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The more I think about the the more I think that the version I'd want to see is her being his wife from his days as an imperial officer. Can you just imagine it? She marries this rising officer guy who is going to go places and take her with him. And he ends up pissing it all away and running off with an alien leaving her with nothing but to flee lest she be branded a traitor or used as leverage against him. That'd be fun to read.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Irbis wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Is that even still canon? If so, it always struck as me strange that Lucas himself apparently never wanted that story told.
Wasn't that heavily implied by ending of RotS? Lucas very specifically had Yoda say that name.
Han's untold backstory was heavily implied by Yoda saying "Goodbye, Tarful. Goodbye, Chewbacca. Miss you, I will." :?:

Or was there something from the novel that I overlooked?
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Galvatron wrote:
Alyrium Denryle wrote:This is a man who gave up his career in order to rescue a few Wookiees from slavery.
Is that even still canon? If so, it always struck as me strange that Lucas himself apparently never wanted that story told.
It appears it wasn't the story Lucas wanted to tell. He did have the idea of including a young Han (aged 10) at Kashyyyk in ROTS (and concept art was created for him. In the Art of Revenge of the Sith, concept artist Iain McCaig said:
Art of ROTS, pg. 41 wrote:It’s not in the script anymore, but we were told that Han Solo was on Kashyyyk and that he was being raised by Chewbacca. He’s such a persnickety guy later on – he always has to have the best of everything – so I thought it’d be great if when he was a kid, he was an absolute slob.
Han Solo was also to help locate General Grievous:
ibid wrote:HAN SOLO
I found part of a transmitter droid near the east bay… I think it's still sending and receiving signals.

YODA
Good. Good. Track this we can back to the source. Find General Grievous, we might…
EDIT: Found the concept art online: Following the Nerd
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Mange wrote:EDIT: Found the concept art online: Following the Nerd
George Lucas wanted to include a 10 yr old Han Solo in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, but in a rare moment of leaving well enough alone, it was cut from the story.
I can only imagine the trifecta of suck that would have been young Anakin, young Boba and young Han in back to back to back films.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I can only imagine the trifecta of suck that would have been young Anakin, young Boba and young Han in back to back to back films.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The incessant need to connect EVERYTHING in Star Wars by the fans and even the creators is the one thing I absolutely hate about the franchise.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Havok wrote:The incessant need to connect EVERYTHING in Star Wars by the fans and even the creators is the one thing I absolutely hate about the franchise.
And it's not like the back story they come up with is ever even good in the first place. Look at the 90s Han Solo trilogy of novels. We had Han with a connection to Boba Fett and Han with a connection to the early Rebel Alliance and even the team that stole the Death Star plans(it was his love interest that stole them and died in the process, hence his dislike for their cause) both were also involved in his past dealings with Lando that ended badly*. He then learned about her death just before meeting Obi-Wan and Luke. Going by the film, that was just another day at the office for him. And there was little indication of his past dealings with the Rebel Alliance, he simply appeared desperate for money to deal with Jabba. I supposed one could argue that it was subtext, but Occam's razor generally works.

* Whatever happened, it wasn't really all that bad based on ESB. Given the ease with which Lando forgave him, it was likely just fallout over the Falcon. I forget which comic I read that showed this, but one interesting idea was that the reason for Lando's strange behavior was that he was attempting to convince Han to leave without altering Vader or breaking their deal. Rather noble if you think about it. And the ease with which Lando integrated into the Alliance in ROTJ doesn't fit any previous dealings with them.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Havok wrote:The incessant need to connect EVERYTHING in Star Wars by the fans and even the creators is the one thing I absolutely hate about the franchise.
How do you feel about Corellian bloodstripes?
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Galvatron wrote:
Can't speak for Havok, but it is rather absurd how they tried to connect yellow stripes to the red blood stripes. Come on. The fact that there happen to be stripes on Han's pants doesn't make them significant.

It is the same problem the EU has always had. Just because something shows up in the movies doesn't make it important.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Borgholio wrote:
:wtf:

...What? Muppet Babies were AWESOME.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Galvatron wrote:Han's untold backstory was heavily implied by Yoda saying "Goodbye, Tarful. Goodbye, Chewbacca. Miss you, I will."
Yes? There was no reason to put Chewbacca there, it could be any (nameless) wookie. Conservation of details. Unless you wanted movie to imply, though, that he is about to be captured by Imperial forces with the rest of the planet, neatly fitting the bit about Han Solo freeing him later.

By the way, people drone how EU was bad but the bit on Han Solo being kid on wookie planet planned by Lucas is thousand times worse than even Crystal Star. He is lucky hack who has no idea how to tell good stories without very strong team that helped him put together EP IV and V, and it shows.
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Sure there was a reason; Chewie is a popular character and putting him in means possibly more money for the film than if it was Nameless Wookiee #2.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Gandalf wrote:Sure there was a reason; Chewie is a popular character and putting him in means possibly more money for the film than if it was Nameless Wookiee #2.
Popular? He was killed in EU a decade prior and had no toys of him made in even longer time IIRC. As far as movies go, he has lesser presence in TOT than Lando and only slightly larger one than Ackbar or Jabba. At that point of series, I bet even Jar Jar was more recognizable and popular (after subtracting hatedom).
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

But Chewbacca is still remembered by everyone who saw the Original Trilogy back in the day, more or less. And nostalgia is a powerful thing.

Edit: And Ackbar and Jabba were pretty much relegated to a few scenes in one movie. Chewbacca was always there, even if you couldn't tell what he was saying.
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Well, perhaps soon we'll know the "official" version of Han Solo's past as the second Anthology movie will be about him (to be directed by Christopher Miller and Phil Lord with a script by Lawrence and Jon Kasdan): StarWars.com
SAMAS
Mecha Fanboy

Post by SAMAS »

Anyone else notice that Han's reaction to this whole thing is not shock or fear, but a facepalm? I think that says a lot about what's gonna be on the next pages.
Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Galvatron wrote:
Can't speak for Havok, but it is rather absurd how they tried to connect yellow stripes to the red blood stripes. Come on. The fact that there happen to be stripes on Han's pants doesn't make them significant.

It is the same problem the EU has always had. Just because something shows up in the movies doesn't make it important.
It's a Character Design thing, actually. Han's basic theme was "Space Cowboy". Seriously, look at his design. All it needs is a Stetson.

Now, a common background for many cowboys, lawmen, and outlaws in the Old West was that many of them fought in the Civil War, or served in the US Cavalry. Now, let's look at a couple of uniforms from around that time period:

You can look up "US Cavalry Uniforms" or "US Civil War Uniforms" on the net and find many more stripes, some red, some white, some yellow.

So, Han's outfit was given, deliberately or not, a costume cue from his originating theme that means "former soldier". That's why fans and writers tend to put that in his backstory; they're just following on his theme.
Not an armored Jigglypuff

"I salute your genetic superiority, now Get off my planet!!" -- Adam Stiener, 1st Somerset Strikers