Marvel's Star Wars: Darth Vader comic series

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

FTeik
Jedi Council Member

Re: Marvel's Star Wars: Darth Vader comic series

Post by FTeik »

Galvatron wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Yes, but the old EU showed us that they hadn't even started preparing for an evacuation. In fact, they were still using Yavin IV as a staging ground for new missions against the Empire.
This is largely from the old comics, but yeah, they fended off Imperial assaults for some time and didn't evacuate for a few months at least. They weren't completely evacuated until the Executor was finished, IIRC, which was like a year or so after ANH.
Yes, and that has been rectified in the new EU with this (from Marvel's Princess Leia #1)...

http://oi61.tinypic.com/259h6cx.jpg
Note, what Leia says in the middle of the picture, that "all rebel fleets have arrived to help with the evacuation." If I remember the old EU correct, that wasn't possible then, because a) the rebellion didn't have much of a fleet then (one of the stories was about the Mon Calamari deciding to finally join) and b) the Empire was already blocking the well known hyperspace-routes in and out of the Yavin System. Also the Imperials weren't serious with their assaults, since they awaited the completition of the Executor.
The optimist thinks, that we live in the best of all possible worlds and the pessimist is afraid, that this is true.

"Don't ask, what your country can do for you. Ask, what you can do for your country." Mao Tse-Tung.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

In the same issue, we get a look at the rebel fleet and it looks pretty much the same as it did at the end of TESB.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2psgdi9.jpg

I sure hope they don't expect us to believe that the Falcon and all those X-wings are sitting inside that frigate though.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Well, the old EU says they can carry 24 fighters, and it wouldn't surprise me if they just blindly copied that over - assuming they haven't already in that Ultimate Star Wars Guide or whatever which we have a thread on. So from that perspective the Falcon and five X-Wings is no biggie.

But I suppose you could also say they're chilling in a modified Transport or something, if it makes you feel better. :razz:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Galvatron wrote:In the same issue, we get a look at the rebel fleet and it looks pretty much the same as it did at the end of TESB.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/2psgdi9.jpg

I sure hope they don't expect us to believe that the Falcon and all those X-wings are sitting inside that frigate though.
Looks like the landing bay from ROTJ where Han gives Lando the Falcon...just from a different angle. The Medical Frigate is too small to hold even just the Falcon...that's why she was docked outside at the end of TESB. It's probably a larger Rebel cruiser that's just of screen. The frame may only be showing a portion of the fleet.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Anacronian wrote:
Galvatron wrote:Harrison Ford has an intangible quality that allows him to bring Solo to life in a way that no one else can and his heart just wasn't in it any more when they made ROTJ. Hell, Han Solo seemed more himself in the damn Holiday Special than he did in ROTJ.
Personally I think he was just tired of playing that sort of character - I mean Han Solo and Indiana Jones aren't that different characters and 4 films in 6 years doing practically the same must be tiring.
It reminded me of Sean Connery coming back for Diamonds are Forever and totally phoning it in. But then, almost everything about ROTJ came across as being phoned in.

By the way Galvatron, you really should give a TRIGGER WARNING when you post links to the Holiday Special. Not because it was awful (the Donnie & Marie Star Wars Special was much worse), but because my older brother and his friends started calling me "Lumpy" when it came out.
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Anacronian wrote:I don't really think that Vader was ever ment as the Emperors "Right-hand man" - there is a deleted scene in Return of the Jedi where Vader can't even get permission to see the Emperor which pretty much tell us how little the Emperor thought of Vader: Linky 7:04

Of cause the scene was cut out of the movie but still.
After ROTJ, I got the impression that the Emperor was looking to kick Vader's damaged goods to the curb now that there was a new kid in town. The Prequels made this point over and over: Palpatine disposes of his henchmen when their usefulness wanes like Hugh Hefner gets rid of blondes past the age of 25.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

I wonder how Palpatine would have reacted if he'd known about Leia.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Probably about the same; Leia needs a LOT more training than Luke would in order to properly fill Vader's shoes as a Sith apprentice.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Simon_Jester wrote:Probably about the same; Leia needs a LOT more training than Luke would in order to properly fill Vader's shoes as a Sith apprentice.
If she even has the same power level; there's never any indication canonically that she could other than being Luke's twin sibling and the genetic roulette, but there's zero development within the films compared to Luke. Granted, she was never trained, even the very small amount that Obi-wan gave Luke in ANH. Still, she would be at least a few years older than Luke was when he started training by ROTJ (depends on how much time you want to give between movies), and that's much older than Anakin was when *he* started training. It's quite possible that the Emperor would have considered it a waste of time and just used her genetic material to start over.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Galvatron wrote:I wonder how Palpatine would have reacted if he'd known about Leia.
Leia wasn't trying to learn how to be a Jedi. He would have not considered her as much of a threat as Luke simply because of that, or at least not viewed Leia the same way.

He probably wouldn't have bothered to try convert Leia if she did however. Leia has much greater history and much greater dedication as standard for her character for the Rebellion and being opposed to the Emperor than Luke.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Although if Palpatine's in the business of using people's genes to make effective apprentices, one wonders why he doesn't clone Vader...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Simon_Jester wrote:Probably about the same; Leia needs a LOT more training than Luke would in order to properly fill Vader's shoes as a Sith apprentice.
Then again, Leia was still relatively young, potentially more powerful than any other non-Skywalker, was untainted by any Jedi training and had anger issues of her own to exploit. I for one think it'd be easier for the Emperor (but not Vader) to manipulate her into using the dark side of the Force, especially if he bestowed upon her the power to reform the Empire into something more benevolent.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Galvatron wrote:Then again, Leia was still relatively young, potentially more powerful than any other non-Skywalker, was untainted by any Jedi training and had anger issues of her own to exploit. I for one think it'd be easier for the Emperor (but not Vader) to manipulate her into using the dark side of the Force, especially if he bestowed upon her the power to reform the Empire into something more benevolent.
Funny that, that one old EU story where Palpatine did precisely that was one of the best ever :lol:
Spoiler

It also had hilarious albeit unconventional Palpatine/Yoda duel begging the question why the hell Yoda didn't do that in main continuity instead of hiding...
Andy Wylde
Youngling

Post by Andy Wylde »

Elfdart wrote:
Anacronian wrote:I don't really think that Vader was ever ment as the Emperors "Right-hand man" - there is a deleted scene in Return of the Jedi where Vader can't even get permission to see the Emperor which pretty much tell us how little the Emperor thought of Vader: Linky 7:04

Of cause the scene was cut out of the movie but still.
After ROTJ, I got the impression that the Emperor was looking to kick Vader's damaged goods to the curb now that there was a new kid in town. The Prequels made this point over and over: Palpatine disposes of his henchmen when their usefulness wanes like Hugh Hefner gets rid of blondes past the age of 25.

This is pretty much true. As soon as Sidious in ROTJ told Luke to kill Vader and take his place at Sidious' side, we all knew at that point that Vader along with Maul, Dooku, TF and everyone else that he was just a pawn. A placeholder if you will. Sidious got Vader to do all the heavy lifting during the final days of the Republic and the beginning of the Empire.

I always laugh how some folks whine about how the Sith in the PT were just pawns of Sidious. Every villain in the SW films were just pawns of Sidious. Well the Imperial villains anyway. But Vader just happened to last longer than the others That is about the only difference between him and the other Sith in the films. All Sidious' apprentices all served the same purpose: PLACEHOLDERS!
I had to laugh out loud as the enraptured nerds and the Disney staff were mesmerized by a muppet that looked like a reject from Fraggle Rock. Who knew muppets and matte lines were what made Star Wars so great?-Elfdart
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

Most of the characters in the PT were his pawns at one point or another, not just the villains.
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Not sure if this is a necro since I created the thread, but I just wanted to see if everyone's aware that this series came to an end at issue #25. I think it neatly bridged the gap between ANH and TESB and told a good story about how Vader worked his way back into the Emperor's good graces to inherit supreme command of the fleet.

The art remained consistently superb throughout the series, so I highly recommend buying the TPB if you have both the means and the interest.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:Not sure if this is a necro since I created the thread, but I just wanted to see if everyone's aware that this series came to an end at issue #25. I think it neatly bridged the gap between ANH and TESB and told a good story about how Vader worked his way back into the Emperor's good graces to inherit supreme command of the fleet.

The art remained consistently superb throughout the series, so I highly recommend buying the TPB if you have both the means and the interest.
TPBs; there are at least three, plus the Vader Down miniseries TPB in which the main Star Wars comic intersects with Vader.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Do you have them?
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Galvatron wrote:Do you have them?
No, but I've read all but the last one IIRC at the local bookstore, which has a pretty good stock of the new Star Wars stuff.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Really wish they'd give us more. More like they did with Dark Times, etc.
"Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?"
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:Really wish they'd give us more. More like they did with Dark Times, etc.
I'm happy they're not saturating us with more just to make a buck. It seems to me they had a story to tell and it took 25 issues to tell it. I'm satisfied with that, but I also doubt they're finished with Vader.
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Galvatron wrote:...but I also doubt they're finished with Vader.
I should certainly hope not. Plus there are gaps between the original trilogy movies to tell many more stories.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Abacus wrote:
Galvatron wrote:...but I also doubt they're finished with Vader.
I should certainly hope not. Plus there are gaps between the original trilogy movies to tell many more stories.
They're already publishing a spin-off series about Vader's lackey, Dr. Aphra, from this series.

Maybe after Zahn's new novel gets published, Marvel will put out another series about the adventures of Thrawn. Would you like that, fella? :)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Galvatron wrote:Maybe after Zahn's new novel gets published, Marvel will put out another series about the adventures of Thrawn. Would you like that, fella? :)
Depends. Will it be artistically done?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Abacus
Jedi Knight

Post by Abacus »

Galvatron wrote:Maybe after Zahn's new novel gets published, Marvel will put out another series about the adventures of Thrawn. Would you like that, fella? :)
You have to ask?