New Star Wars book; Aftermath

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Re: New Star Wars book; Aftermath

Post by Darksider »

I honestly think they would've been willing to keep some of the Zahn stuff out of sheer popularity if the ep 7 writers hadn't decided to Spoiler
make Luke a hermit and Han and Leia childless. I think if they'd decided to give Han, Leia, and Luke families, they'd use some variation of Jacen, Jaina, Ben, etc.
Like how lucas decided to keep Coruscant. Visually and thematically recognizable, but not exactly the same.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Is that stuff about Luke, Han, and Leia confirmed or just rumours? In any case, it should have a spoiler warning.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Darksider wrote:I honestly think they would've been willing to keep some of the Zahn stuff out of sheer popularity if the ep 7 writers hadn't decided Spoiler
to make Luke a hermit and Han and Leia childless. I think if they'd decided to give Han, Leia, and Luke families,
they'd use some variation of Jacen, Jaina, Ben, etc. Like how lucas decided to keep Coruscant. Visually and thematically recognizable, but not exactly the same.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Fucking phone posting. That was supposed to be an edit. Can a mod please fix that?
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

God dammit. I can't see anything on this damn phone screen
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I got you.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Darksider wrote:I honestly think they would've been willing to keep some of the Zahn stuff out of sheer popularity if the ep 7 writers hadn't decided to Spoiler
make Luke a hermit and Han and Leia childless. I think if they'd decided to give Han, Leia, and Luke families, they'd use some variation of Jacen, Jaina, Ben, etc.
Like how lucas decided to keep Coruscant. Visually and thematically recognizable, but not exactly the same.
Spoiler
I thought it was all but confirmed that Rey(speeder girl from trailer) was Han and Leia's daughter, though no one from the new cast initially knows this fact
Spoiler
If the rumors are true, they actually are going with a variation on Jaina and Jacen. Kylo Ren, the Sith from the trailers is rumored to be Han and Leia's son. So we have their daughter as a reluctant Jedi on the light side and their son as a Sith. That actually is a bit like Jaina vs Jacen.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It would be a major hack writing disaster if it were true though.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Thanas wrote:It would be a major hack writing disaster if it were true though.
I agree. Given that Kasden is writing things I doubt this is true.
Spoiler
The same source also states the Rebel Alliance has their own superweapon. That would almost be worse. And given that we see X-wings on an attack run, seems odd.
This is mostly from the site Making Star Wars.

And given that this is JJ Abrams, who has previously done things like use fake scripts for casting purposes when filming Cloverfield, much of these rumors are simply that.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
I agree. Given that Kasden is writing things I doubt this is true.
OTOH, given that it is Adams who has already butchered Star Trek I see no reason why it couldn't be.
------------
------------
My LPs
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I suppose there's a slim chance it could turn out well. The "brother turns to the dark side, sister must stop/redeem him" plot from LotF certainly had potential to be epic and compelling. It was Travis's and Denning's fault it went to shit with their blatant character/faction favoritism.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I'll never forgive those two hacks for what they did to established characters like Pellaeon and Jade. It's like taking a dump in another persons garden and then telling the owner they were just fertilizing the roses.
------------
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Thanas wrote: OTOH, given that it is Adams who has already butchered Star Trek I see no reason why it couldn't be.
With Star Trek he didn't seem to understand the difference between homage and simply being derivative. Though Trek was actually written by the hacks Orci and Kurtzman. And part of the problem was that he made it too much like Star Wars, this film won't be worse because of that issue.
Thanas wrote:I'll never forgive those two hacks for what they did to established characters like Pellaeon and Jade. It's like taking a dump in another persons garden and then telling the owner they were just fertilizing the roses.
That was the fundamental problem with the EU, one author's good ideas are tarnished by a worse one.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Can they be blamed for character deaths? I thought the decision to start offing people for the sake of "DRAMA" was made at the editorial level.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Darksider wrote:Can they be blamed for character deaths? I thought the decision to start offing people for the sake of "DRAMA" was made at the editorial level.
Likely a fair point. They can be blamed for piss-poor execution though.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Darksider wrote:Can they be blamed for character deaths? I thought the decision to start offing people for the sake of "DRAMA" was made at the editorial level.
I am not blaming them for character deaths, I am blaming them for:
a) having them die in shitty ways contrary to previously established characters (Jade, who lost her cool despite being known to be one of the most focused characters there are) and
b) having characters act so that they are unrecognizable from previous versions (Pellaeon, Skywalker, Daala and nearly everybody else). This was the biggest problem of the post-Vong series, it just sucked. If you changed the names of characters with generics there would be very little allowing you to identify them. They just feel wrong. I should not need the persistent clues of "oh he's got a lightsaber" to be able to identify Luke of all people. Nevermind that the whole plot of that series was only possible by every major and minor character in charge being utter idiots.

It boggles the mind how Denning, who got the characters in Tatooine Ghost right could take such a nosedive.
------------
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Thanas wrote:It boggles the mind how Denning, who got the characters in Tatooine Ghost right could take such a nosedive.
In his defense, he was limited by the fact that he was forced to work with coauthors with an agenda. If he had truly had freedom to write as he intended, presumably he wouldn't have had these problems. Wasn't he in something of a continuity war with Traviss? I believe either he or Allston wrote something about a group using a virus against the Mandalorians in retaliation for having Jaina train with 70 year old Boba Fett rather than her uncle.

That has to be one of the dumbest plot points in all of the EU. Yet another reason it is good that the EU is now dead. Hopefully they take the Vong with them. That crap doesn't fit Star Wars.

As for my spoiler comments it looks like the one rumor might now be wrong: Spoiler
Kylo Ren(the Sith) probably kills Han Solo, but might not necessarily be his son. Whatever the case, there is something personal to his killing. Either he is the son, or Han in some way wronged him in the past. I would vastly prefer the second option.

Rey(girl on speeder) also doesn't appear to be his daughter, as she doesn't seem to recognize the Falcon, though it is likely she was simply in hiding and ignorant of her parentage. Though it is almost too obvious that she was Han and Leia's daughter, perhaps that was done deliberately and there really is no connection. She and Kylo apparently are in a flashback scene in which they were Luke's students before the temple was attacked and Luke went into exile. She went into hiding and Kylo became a Sith.

Assuming that rumor is accurate, I called it. Han's dying in the first film. It does fit the trend of a mentor figure dying and leaving the main new heroes to find their own way rather nicely. Harrison is getting too old for this much longer regardless.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Thanas wrote:It boggles the mind how Denning, who got the characters in Tatooine Ghost right could take such a nosedive.
In his defense, he was limited by the fact that he was forced to work with coauthors with an agenda. If he had truly had freedom to write as he intended, presumably he wouldn't have had these problems.
Eh...no. We have seen what dreck he produces when he can write on his own. See Dark Swarm/Nest/whatever trilogy, where the master strategist of the NR gets his flagship stolen from him by bugs, or where the combined might of the chiss is not enough to deal with insects.
------------
------------
My LPs
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Thanas wrote:
Adamskywalker007 wrote:
In his defense, he was limited by the fact that he was forced to work with coauthors with an agenda. If he had truly had freedom to write as he intended, presumably he wouldn't have had these problems.
Eh...no. We have seen what dreck he produces when he can write on his own. See Dark Swarm/Nest/whatever trilogy, where the master strategist of the NR gets his flagship stolen from him by bugs, or where the combined might of the chiss is not enough to deal with insects.
Maybe he got lost up his own backside or something? Kind of like Traviss a bit in that respect. From most accounts, Republic Commando: Hard Contact was pretty good, with everything after getting steadily worse.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Or maybe the earlier books had stricter editorship as would only be logical for someone new. Then once he got permission to do his own thing, he implemented his own bigger ideas instead of just playing with established characters and storylines.
------------
------------
My LPs
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Thanas wrote:
Admskywalker007 wrote:
I had completely forgotten that series. Going from the NJO to that was the siren song of quality in the EU, I retract my defense of him.