Star Wars VII - Trailer Discussion

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Star Wars VII - Trailer Discussion

Post by Dartzap »

It's been released

Its going to be a bloody long year, isnt it? And who let Cumberbatch onto the set?!
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Darth Tanner
Jedi Master

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Post by Darth Tanner »

Hmmm
Don't like the back of the new storm troopers, too flat from the brief glimpse... or the red light on their rifles. They look pretty cool from the front though, especially in the landing shuttle ready for battle in the rain.
Dislike the new R2 unit if that is what the ball thing is meant to be.
Hate the light hand guard on the presumed Sith?
Falcon looks cool as well as the X-Wings doing low water flying... not sure about them using old original Tie fighters? Surely there would be none left after this long considering they were phasing them out at Endor already!
Looks like at least one main character is a Stormtrooper? Or doing a Han/Luke dressing up as one?

Overall a mixed review... nothing to really tell what the plot is though.
Get busy living or get busy dying... unless there’s cake.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Darth Tanner wrote:Hate the light hand guard on the presumed Sith?
Why? :lol:

It makes perfect sense, dark siders love them old hand chopping off trick, he is just altruist! 8)
ANGELUS
Padawan Learner

Post by ANGELUS »

First teaser is here:

+https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

Edit: Sorry, just noticed it had already been posted :oops:
~ Some men just want to watch the world burn ~
TK-984
Redshirt

Post by TK-984 »

Overall I liked the teaser. What's up with the hand guards on the lightsaber though? Threw me off.
Skylon
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skylon »

Darth Tanner wrote:Hmmm
Falcon looks cool as well as the X-Wings doing low water flying... not sure about them using old original Tie fighters? Surely there would be none left after this long considering they were phasing them out at Endor already!
Considering just how many of the bloody things the Empire must have cranked out, even if this is supposed to be 30 years after Endor I don't see why they would not keep using them - maybe not in production anymore - but still keep them flying since whatever Imperial factions are left can't replace them. Or they could have wound up being used by third parties.
-A.L.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence...Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race." - Calvin Coolidge

"If you're falling off a cliff you may as well try to fly, you've got nothing to lose." - John Sheridan (Babylon 5)

"Sometimes you got to roll the hard six." - William Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

TK-984 wrote:What's up with the hand guards on the lightsaber though? Threw me off.
Novelty... simple Lightsabers are so mainstream today.

They need to show something new Light<enter name here> device.

Phantom Menace had the double-bladed lightsaber, Attack of the Clones and Force Academy had dual-wielded Lightsabers, The Force Unleashed had Light-Tonfas, then there was a Lightwhip somewhere too.

The same with the Inquisitors rotating double-bladed lightsaber and Spoiler
Ezras Lightsaber-blaster

It's all about novelty.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

I really hope that desert planet isn't Tatooine. We don't need it in every film except Empire. It's the small town in the middle of nowhere planet, not the freaking center of the galaxy.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Why are all the spaceships doing atmospheric battle?

The Falcon looks nice, noticed they tweaked the engines and ditched the radar dish though. Can't get a good look at the TIE fighters but they look like vanilla TIE's.

X wings look ok I guess. Wasn't sure if I'd like the skinnier wings due to the separation fore and aft bit but they're ok I guess.

New Stormtroopers look pretty cool.

I hope the 'dessert planet' isn't Tatooine. Really tired of that planet.

Sith light-broadsword? WTH? Dumb.

Look forward to both the movie and more teasers/trailers.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

I got a good feeling seeing those X-wings but yes I hope it's not frigging Tatooine again. Sure Lucas was in love with the place, no reason to go back.

But I've already seen a good idea if true, the sith broadsword was "homemade", as in the Sith in question made it himself with in a cave with a box of scraps!. And yes new stormies weapons look great, armor not so much.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Knife wrote:Why are all the spaceships doing atmospheric battle?
Why not?
The Falcon looks nice, noticed they tweaked the engines and ditched the radar dish though.

Han forgot to repair it after RotJ? :wink:

It actually looks like dish is there, just rectangular now...
I hope the 'dessert planet' isn't Tatooine. Really tired of that planet.
Why, you hate sand cake? :P
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Hmm i did see a radar dish on the Falcon but it was square rather than round.

Very hard to get a picture of the Tie Fighters though but overall i'll say they look like they used to.

Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Never been blown away by a trailer like this before. My thoughts:

1. Unmasked stormtrooper - Either it's a good guy who pulled a Han and Luke, or a bad guy who lost his helmet. Hoping it's the latter...because that will add a human aspect to stormtroopers that we haven't really seen since the Clone Wars.
2. Stormtroopers preparing for a combat insertion - That gave me shivers. I never liked the idea that Stormtroopers were idiotic mooks who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn door, but alas there was very little in the OT that made them seem dangerous. This one scene in the drop ship however, adds a whole level of badassery and implies you don't want to fuck with them. I can't wait to see more about that.
3. Scene with the Sith in the forest - Don't care either way for the lightsaber...we've seen wackier designs over the years, so this one isn't bad. It does imply home-built rather than a professional, polished design. But the whole environment seems downright spooky and I like it. Reminds me of Dagobah to an extent...without the snow, of course.
4. Flight scenes in the atmosphere - Jaw dropping. The X-wings flying over the lake was very well done and realistic. The Millennium Falcon was always stated to be the fastest ship in the galaxy but only a few times have we actually seen that. In the Hoth asteroid belt we see the Falcon maneuvering like a bat out of hell but that's about it. In this trailer, we see that the Falcon practically turning on a dime and surprising the hell out of the TIE pilots. I almost heard Han muttering under his breath in the cockpit at that point.

Plus, I agree fully with the decisions to use CGI to augment the physical ship models instead of going 100% CGI. The X-wings, TIES and Falcon have never looked so good.

Overall...god damn it, I have to wait an entire year?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!OHMYGAWDOHMGAWDOHMYGAWDOHMGAWD! was what I feeling and thinking on the inside when I watched this at work. :D

FUCK YOU GUYS! Quit bitching.
X-Wings skimming the water...
The Falcon dog fighting TIEs...
Stormtroopers exiting like a D-Day landing craft...
A black guy...
A different female...
A fucking protective hilt for a lightsaber...

C'mon! These are all things we've all griped and bitched about Star Wars not having or "Oh man wouldn't it be so cool if..." for fucking AGES!

Personally, I am fucking stoked!

((I changed the size of your laughter because it broke formatting. LadyTevar))
Last edited by LadyTevar on 2014-11-29 06:44am, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Formatting
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Havok wrote:A fucking protective hilt for a lightsaber...
'Protective hilt' that does nothing but helps your enemy slice off your saber emitter or even hand? Um, about that... :o

After re-watching, I am not sure if I like new rebel helmets. They look... small. Like, for children. But it's not even that. Old ones looked like you could close them with mouth mask in emergency. They even did some EVAC in comics with it. These? Nope, no way. They look like designed for similarity, not function.
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

They kind of look like the A-wing pilots helmets.

Just a different color.
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Picture of the new X-wing with the scissor wings.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Havok wrote:HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!OHMYGAWDOHMGAWDOHMYGAWDOHMGAWD! was what I feeling and thinking on the inside when I watched this at work. :D

FUCK YOU GUYS! Quit bitching.
X-Wings skimming the water...
The Falcon dog fighting TIEs...
Stormtroopers exiting like a D-Day landing craft...
A black guy...
A different female...
A fucking protective hilt for a lightsaber...

C'mon! These are all things we've all griped and bitched about Star Wars not having or "Oh man wouldn't it be so cool if..." for fucking AGES!

Personally, I am fucking stoked!
Couldn't agree with you more, sir! I'll also amend my previous post...NOW my body is ready!
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Anacronian wrote:Picture of the new X-wing with the scissor wings.
I think the scissors wings make them look leaner and more deadly. I like it.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Post by TheHammer »

Mr Bean wrote:I got a good feeling seeing those X-wings but yes I hope it's not frigging Tatooine again. Sure Lucas was in love with the place, no reason to go back.

But I've already seen a good idea if true, the sith broadsword was "homemade", as in the Sith in question made it himself with in a cave with a box of scraps!. And yes new stormies weapons look great, armor not so much.
It could be that Tatooine has special significance vis-a-vis the force. Remember, that's the planet the "Chosen One" was conceived upon. As Luke's "Home planet" it would also make sense for it to make an appearance if he is needed to be "called out of retirement". As long as the center of the movie doesn't take place there, nothing wrong with a cameo :-)
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Caped guy with Lightsaber - Blade does seem "thinner" than the old blades and the hilt appears to be longer (two handed perhaps?) and of cause the light-hanguards?
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Anacronian wrote:They kind of look like the A-wing pilots helmets.
I don't know, A-Wing helmet covers your neck, new one doesn't. It also has more solid microphone that doesn't get in the way of mask like that flimsy thing on a new helmet.

Meh, maybe it's just size, it looks flimsy not only next to ToT helmets but even next to bike helmet, IMHO...
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

There is a better shot of the blade where you can see how "rough" it is, almost like controlled fire, and almost does have a homemade feel to it. And not homemade like Luke used Obi-Wan's spare parts, but literally like it was made from scratch.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Also, hey MODERATORS can the teaser get it's own thread as now we FINALLY have something real to talk about?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

It looks like a fan film shot on a small budget rather than feeling like a 150 million dollar Sci Fi blockbuster. The cinematography feels extremely out of place for a Star Wars film. Too much shakey cam, weird camera moment and too much quick edit. One of my main fear about A brand being the director is coming true. He doesn't know how to use the full canvas of film to make his shots feels epic and grand. Even if Abrams can ensure the plot for episode 7 is decent, I don't think I will enjoy the visual aspect of it as much as I ought to be for a Star Wars film.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.