Star Wars by Thomas Dagg

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

RogueIce
_______

Star Wars by Thomas Dagg

Post by RogueIce »

http://www.thomasdagg.com/starwars

Basically a photographer took these shots and then inserted Star Wars. Done very well, I might add. The probe droid, Jar Jar Binks and the Jawa are hilarious. The A-Wing is pretty badass. And this:

Well, I feel safer already.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Re: Star Wars by Thomas Dagg

Post by Havok »

Oh hey Jar-Jar is dead. How original in a completely original idea and project.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Havok wrote:Oh hey Jar-Jar is dead. How original in a completely original idea and project.
Personally I saw him as passed out drunk, but to each their own I guess.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

There looks what appears to be a couple blaster marks on the walls and smoke coming out of his body. So yea...
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Okay, I can't tell. Where is the Star Wars stuff with the shot of the three houses?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

FaxModem1 wrote:Okay, I can't tell. Where is the Star Wars stuff with the shot of the three houses?
The third picture in the series? It has four houses. If that's it, it's the flight of TIE fighters in the sky near the top of the shot.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Soontir C'boath wrote:There looks what appears to be a couple blaster marks on the walls and smoke coming out of his body. So yea...
Oh, huh. I missed that the first time I looked at it.

Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You have to scroll up. The picture is big.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

That first shot with the Star Destroyer startled me the first time it popped up in my screen. Hanger looked like a lovecroftian gaping maw :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Sidewinder
Sith Acolyte

Post by Sidewinder »

I thought it was hilarious that an Imperial probe droid was peeking through a window, at a woman standing in her underwear. If this were the real world, I could imagine a lawsuit being filed against whoever was operating the droid (the Navy? the Imperial Security Bureau? COMPNOR?), for violating her privacy. (Though this may result in the poor woman getting shot- blasters set to KILL, of course- along with the lawyer.)
Please do not make Americans fight giant monsters.

Those gun nuts do not understand the meaning of "overkill," and will simply use weapon after weapon of mass destruction (WMD) until the monster is dead, or until they run out of weapons.

They have more WMD than there are monsters for us to fight. (More insanity here.)
Gandalf
SD.net White Wizard

Post by Gandalf »

That one of the lightsabre at the baseball game is fantastic. It's so subtle, but it's amazing.
Havok wrote:Oh hey Jar-Jar is dead. How original in a completely original idea and project.
How else can they prove the "true fan" credentials?
"Oh no, oh yeah, tell me how can it be so fair
That we dying younger hiding from the police man over there
Just for breathing in the air they wanna leave me in the chair
Electric shocking body rocking beat streeting me to death"

- A.B. Original, Report to the Mist

"I think it’s the duty of the comedian to find out where the line is drawn and cross it deliberately."
- George Carlin
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

What's up with that anyway? Why does everyone dislike Jar-Jar? If anything I found him endearing in the first movie and to see him vanish only to reappear as a more serious and far more background character saddened me.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:What's up with that anyway? Why does everyone dislike Jar-Jar? If anything I found him endearing in the first movie and to see him vanish only to reappear as a more serious and far more background character saddened me.
Mostly it's a remnant of the whole "what the hell, this is Star Wars, not Benny Hill" feelings that a lot of old-timers had when they saw TPM for the first time. Jar Jar doesn't really have a role other than comic relief, and there's not really anything along those lines apart from the droids in the OT. It would be like if someone shoved a clown onto the set of 2001:Space Odyssey (which could've used some comic relief, frankly).

Since then the JJ-hate has mostly been a grudge against Lucas for perpetrating it in the first place.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I personally found him to be annoying and the kind of character that was made for children No offense Purple, or to anyone who actually did like him...I don't intend to insult, but I didn't find him to be useful in any real sort of way. His jokes were not funny, his slapstick / physical humor was cartoonish, and his voice was only slightly more tolerable than the squeal of a Nazgul. Other sidekicks such as 3PO or R2 at least contributed something useful to advancing the plot or had skills that (especially in R2's case) saved the day through more than just dumb luck.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Jar Jar is the only character to show any sort of positive growth in the whole trilogy. Had Lucas not folded, I think by the time Jar Jar did actually die, more than likely by Anakin's hand, audiences would have been in tears.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Havok wrote:Jar Jar is the only character to show any sort of positive growth in the whole trilogy. Had Lucas not folded, I think by the time Jar Jar did actually die, more than likely by Anakin's hand, audiences would have been in tears.
This is what I feel as well. It's just such a massive missed opportunity.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Havok wrote:Jar Jar is the only character to show any sort of positive growth in the whole trilogy. Had Lucas not folded, I think by the time Jar Jar did actually die, more than likely by Anakin's hand, audiences would have been in tears.
indeed Jar-Jar in Episode 2 is practically a different person, much more calm and mature, sure he gets manipulated but I put that down to being inexperienced in the political arena and not because he was stupid.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Lord Revan wrote:
indeed Jar-Jar in Episode 2 is practically a different person, much more calm and mature, sure he gets manipulated but I put that down to being inexperienced in the political arena and not because he was stupid.
Like Yoda wasn't easily manipulated? The entire Jedi Council, Amidala and the entire Senate? It wasn't just experience. Palpatine was just that good. Jar Jar is on a long and severely distinguished list of people Palpatine manipulated right in the ass. :lol:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Havok wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
Like Yoda wasn't easily manipulated? The entire Jedi Council, Amidala and the entire Senate? It wasn't just experience. Palpatine was just that good. Jar Jar is on a long and severely distinguished list of people Palpatine manipulated right in the ass. :lol:
yeah that's kind of my point there Havok I was just being conservative about it, my point was that "being manipulated by Palpatine" isn't a sign that Jar-Jar is so stupid that he shouldn't be allowed in a position on authority or as a sign to ignore or dissmiss Jar-Jar's character growth between the first 2 episodes.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Soontir C'boath
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

It was three years in-between both episodes. I highly doubt people cared about that change of characterization when the first impression solidified who he is to many.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The point is that Lucas fucking caved to fan pressure and basically wrote Jar Jar out of the story so now we will never fucking know, which not only nerfs any growth, but makes his involvement in TPM fucking stupid because you are like wait, why did we spend so much time on that guy if he just disappeared? Like or dislike you don't introduce a main character and then just have him fade away. It's bad storytelling. It's like introducing a gun in the first act of a murder mystery and then never going back to the gun for anything. It's just cheap.

It not only, in my opinion, hurt the latter two movies, but from a storytelling stand point, severely damaged the first movie retroactively.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Soontir C'boath

Given Episode 1 was highly anticipated due to the decades long hiatus, it was fucked from the start in many people's mind and whatever Jar Jar could've been in the next episode would not have mattered especially if one was to wait three fucking years to see where his character could have gone next.

Edit: The damage was done.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

That is complete bullshit. Fanboys are fanboys. IF they had just toned down the slapstick, which they did, and used the character properly, fans would have come around to Jar Jar and would have recognized the character growth. (Everyone 'hated' Anaikin in the first movie too)

It was only the die hard FattyNerdsTM i.e., the 30 somethings that were far too invested in the movies that hated Jar Jar and had their childhood kidnapped and raped by Lucas. The little kids that watched the movies dug him. I know, because I saw it in the theater 29 times. :wink:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Lord Revan wrote:
Palpatine's Last Moments | Robot Chicken | Adult …: http://youtu.be/5qAKXK_aLeA

1:25 for the relevant part. Yes...yousa manipulated me... ;)
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Tsyroc
Emperor's Hand

Post by Tsyroc »

Havok wrote:That is complete bullshit. Fanboys are fanboys. IF they had just toned down the slapstick, which they did, and used the character properly, fans would have come around to Jar Jar and would have recognized the character growth. (Everyone 'hated' Anaikin in the first movie too)

It was only the die hard FattyNerdsTM i.e., the 30 somethings that were far too invested in the movies that hated Jar Jar and had their childhood kidnapped and raped by Lucas. The little kids that watched the movies dug him. I know, because I saw it in the theater 29 times. :wink:
I thought there were a lot of little flaws with TPM that ended up being grating. Jar Jar was just one of many, and IMO he's easy enough to get over. I know I grew to like TPM a lot more after watching it over and over on DVD. Personally, I think Lucasfilm blew it when they revealed Maul and his double ended saber in the trailer. Leave his whole reveal to the movie and the fanboys would have been creaming their jeans enough to wash away most of what bothered them about the rest of the movie. It's not like Lucasfilm needed to have the badass looking villain in the trailer to get people to go see the movie. :)

Personally, I found the stupid droid humor in AotC much more annoying than any of the Jar Jar stuff in TPM.
By the pricking of my thumb,
Something wicked this way comes.
Open, locks,
Whoever knocks.