Gareth Edwards directing Star Wars Spin-off

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

ray245
Emperor's Hand

Gareth Edwards directing Star Wars Spin-off

Post by ray245 »

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwards ... -film.html
GARETH EDWARDS AND GARY WHITTA ONBOARD FOR STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM
May 22, 2014
In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
I liked the decision of Edwards as a director. He might not be the best screen writer, but he is an excellent artist at imagining wonderful scenes on screen. His Halo jump scene and many other scenes in Godzilla is a testament of him being an excellent visual storyteller.

However, he does need a good screenwriter to support him in telling a good story. I'm not sure Whitta is the right choice.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Spoonist
Jedi Council Member

Re: Gareth Edwards directing Star Wars Spin-off

Post by Spoonist »

Gotta love the concept of non-core stand alone films though.
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I know it's extremely unlikely, but I'd love to see a movie that depicts, basically, the events of the TIE Fighter PC game, (or at least something relating to some sympathetic characters in the Empire).
Kreller1
Youngling

Post by Kreller1 »

biostem wrote:I know it's extremely unlikely, but I'd love to see a movie that depicts, basically, the events of the TIE Fighter PC game, (or at least something relating to some sympathetic characters in the Empire).
This. I always did like how Tie Fighter showed the Empire doing "good" things amidst their Rebel hunting activities.
"Your faith in the permanence of universal laws and the consistent nature of the universe should stand as a glowing example to believers everywhere." ~Sela