Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Post by Batman »

'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Based on those two scene numbers, it appears the internal shot of the X-wing pilot and the external shots of X-wings are not the same scene. This doesn't make much sense as it appears to clearly show the same thing: X-wings flying low enough over water that they fly though it.

Obviously this seems to imply that those numbers are not simply the placement of those scenes in the final movie.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I copied the link off the top of the page. Said stuff was not included.

Yes, I can be rather inept about computer stuff. My apologies.

Edit: Anyway, regarding the names story, I'm intrigued (and disappointed) that the person with the lightsaber in the teaser is identified as male.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:Based on those two scene numbers, it appears the internal shot of the X-wing pilot and the external shots of X-wings are not the same scene. This doesn't make much sense as it appears to clearly show the same thing: X-wings flying low enough over water that they fly though it.

Obviously this seems to imply that those numbers are not simply the placement of those scenes in the final movie.
Uh, are you talking about the card numbers?
In the original card series, you had IIRC characters, scenes and ships all in their own number range. That is all that this is.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Soontir C'boath wrote:If Wookiepedia is to be believed, the empire only lasted 25 years. It wouldn't be farfetched to me to see the empire splitting along Separatists lines again and fragment even further from within the loyalists as well which would be a great way to keep a sort of continuity.
That would mean it fell just after Endor, though what is the source on this? Until the new movies there is nothing anymore with regard to that era. As for splintering, this also happened in Legends as well. In the Wraith Squadron trilogy, Han and Wraith Squadron actually enter into an alliance with an Imperial admiral so that they can jointly hunt Zinj.
I am just offering a speculation on what path they may take past ROTJ given what occurred during the prequels.
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Officially 2015.
349 days until Star Wars.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Now to commemorate the fact that a Star Wars movie is coming out in the same year Marty McFly traveled to in a DeLorean time machine, we need the Back to the Future theme in lightsaber noises. Someone get on that, right quick!
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

I was just generally thinking about the issues of Abrams Trek films and the problems with them and what that means for the new Star Wars movie.

Despite their flaws, the SW prequels still gave an amazing setting with the fall of the Old Republic. And this is not to mention all of the interesting new environments and ideas we saw. What can the new movies give to rival that? Especially if they spend half the movie on Tatooine, which is how things appear from the trailer.

I feel like the underlying problem with Abrams Trek films was the lack of effective worldbuilding in the setting and the lack of depth to the setting in those films and the consequences of character actions in terms of impacting the larger setting. Vulcan was destroyed and it barely mattered, the Enterprise crew committed an act of war against the Klingons and no one seemed to care. I suppose in some ways this was faithful to the serialized nature of Trek as an old TV series, but it still feels wrong. Even the Marvel movies are doing a better job with this than Trek.

As for worldbuilding, there was nothing that felt at all new in these films. Everything was a rehash of what we had previously seen done slightly differently. While I found them entertaining as popcorn movies, they were hardly good in the same sense as classic Trek. I fear the same thing happening here.

And another related issue is that of the possibility of the new films failing to show any positive impact of the actions of the heroes of the OT. On a more minor note, did Luke and Leia have a positive impact by killing Jabba and destroying his organization? When Vader killed the Emperor and the Rebels blew up the second Death Star there was a sense that this was the beginning of the end of the Empire. It was a purely triumphant ending. If the Sith are back and the Empire still is mostly in power, what did the heroes accomplish?
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I think the destruction of Vulcan is something Abrams largely did well. It was a big change to the status quo, made Nero much more threatening, and had a major effect on Spock throughout the rest of the film. I would honestly say it had more significance than the destruction of Alderan in the A New Hope.

I do think, however, that Into Darkness did way too much rehashing old stuff, though to be fair, it did not have the same writers as Episode VII. And I think that having the Sith and Empire be major villains in the new Star Wars films is a horrible idea, not because it means the heroes didn't accomplish anything-they did regardless-but because its repetitive and seems anti-climactic after Return of the Jedi unless they try to make the new films even more epic, in which case they run the risk of going over the top trying to top Palpatine and Vader.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

They undoubtedly achieved a lot on ROTJ - destruction of another massive, expensive battlestation, cutting off the head of the snake and the death of his henchman all in one fell swoop - but that doesn't mean the empire would completely disintegrate. I could see a sort of galactic-wide routing campaign working quite well for the plot, with the resurgent Republic bulldozing the ever-shrinking Imperials until they get their hands on SOMETHING that gives them a second wind. Maybe the new Sith will assume control of the remnants of the Empire and begin turning the tide.
Perhaps the trilogy will see a fully or partially revived Sith order facing off against the new Jedi Order. Could be kewl.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I think the destruction of Vulcan is something Abrams largely did well. It was a big change to the status quo, made Nero much more threatening, and had a major effect on Spock throughout the rest of the film. I would honestly say it had more significance than the destruction of Alderan in the A New Hope.
Alderaan was one planet out of millions, not a species homeworld. But I agree Leia should have shown more emotion. Though her characterization always seemed to me that her response to anything negative was to push down the emotion while also getting revenge and dealing with the problem. She had the same response when Han was frozen in carbonite. While there was initial shock, she never even remotely broke down because of it.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I do think, however, that Into Darkness did way too much rehashing old stuff, though to be fair, it did not have the same writers as Episode VII. And I think that having the Sith and Empire be major villains in the new Star Wars films is a horrible idea, not because it means the heroes didn't accomplish anything-they did regardless-but because its repetitive and seems anti-climactic after Return of the Jedi unless they try to make the new films even more epic, in which case they run the risk of going over the top trying to top Palpatine and Vader.
I wonder how much the things that bothered me were Abrams and how much they were his writers? I don't think he actually had writing credit for Into Darkness, now that he does perhaps his ideas would be better. If nothing else we have Lawrence Kasden back, was it he or Lucas who was more behind the Vader reveal?

As for bringing back the Jedi and Sith, I don't actually have a problem with that idea. When the EU has tried other ideas they have inevitably been far worse than Jedi vs Sith. I would much rather see more Sith than Yuzhan Vong.
Chimaera wrote:They undoubtedly achieved a lot on ROTJ - destruction of another massive, expensive battlestation, cutting off the head of the snake and the death of his henchman all in one fell swoop - but that doesn't mean the empire would completely disintegrate. I could see a sort of galactic-wide routing campaign working quite well for the plot, with the resurgent Republic bulldozing the ever-shrinking Imperials until they get their hands on SOMETHING that gives them a second wind. Maybe the new Sith will assume control of the remnants of the Empire and begin turning the tide.
Perhaps the trilogy will see a fully or partially revived Sith order facing off against the new Jedi Order. Could be kewl.
That might actually be the case, that the Empire has been shrinking for decades and now the Sith are able to give them a second chance in something of a devil's bargain. And what would make these new Sith dangerous is not that they are powerful as much as it is the fact that there are no real Jedi to oppose them. What might be an interesting strategic situation for the galaxy is if no one is really in power anywhere and there is little law and order with most planets trying to be on their own. We have already seen good guys in power in the PT and bad guys in power in the OT, the only thing left would be no one in power. This was what I always thought this era should have been in the first place, something parts of the EU did somewhat effectively.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

A galaxy with no major power would indeed be interesting, and it would fit well with the films. The Empire apparently collapsed, but the small guerrilla group that is the Rebel Alliance is too small to seize control of all of its territory.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well we should see a new teaser or trailer tomorrow from that big Star Wars Con they have every year.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I heard their was a new trailer due out on the 16th. Looking forward to it.

My main hopes are that we'll see some of the old heros and a good space battle.
DarthPooky
Padawan Learner

Post by DarthPooky »

ITS OUT GO ON YOUTUBE :D

I don't now how to do links yet
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

DarthPooky wrote:ITS OUT GO ON YOUTUBE :D

I don't now how to do links yet
BOOM:

Please be good please be good please be good...
The Duchess of Zeon
Gözde

Post by The Duchess of Zeon »

I'm now wondering if that desert planet actually isn't Tatooine but was instead of a garden world wrecked by the aftereffects of a massive number of starships crashing to the surface in a huge battle during the post-Endor fighting, like Honoghr in the Clone Wars supposedly was in the EU. That would be so awesome...
The threshold for inclusion in Wikipedia is verifiability, not truth. -- Wikipedia's No Original Research policy page.

In 1966 the Soviets find something on the dark side of the Moon. In 2104 they come back. -- Red Banner / White Star, a nBSG continuation story. Updated to Chapter 4.0 -- 14 January 2013.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I'm now wondering if that desert planet actually isn't Tatooine but was instead of a garden world wrecked by the aftereffects of a massive number of starships crashing to the surface in a huge battle during the post-Endor fighting, like Honoghr in the Clone Wars supposedly was in the EU. That would be so awesome...
JJ dropped the name of the planet during Celebration's panel. Spoiler
Jak...Jakooie...something that starts with a J.

Point being, it's not the most non-backwater backwater in the universe.
EDIT: Spoilered it. Stupid me forgetting that.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

The Duchess of Zeon wrote:I'm now wondering if that desert planet actually isn't Tatooine but was instead of a garden world wrecked by the aftereffects of a massive number of starships crashing to the surface in a huge battle during the post-Endor fighting, like Honoghr in the Clone Wars supposedly was in the EU. That would be so awesome...
Possibly. I hope so, because I am weary of the movies showing us Tatooine again and again.

In any case, aside from the obvious ones, it looks like we see a pair of our original heroes as they are mentioned.
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

I don't want to wait until december...

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Spoiler
Jakooie? Sounds like a word I've heard Ewoks say during RoTJ. Is this post-holocaust Endor? *ducks*
Edit - probably better spoiler even though it's just me being a smartass.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
fractalsponge1
Jedi Council Member

Post by fractalsponge1 »

They chopped off the bridge of the ISD.

More seriously...very excited now. Avoiding spoilers is going to be hard.
General Mung Beans
Jedi Knight
Location: Orange Prefecture, California Sector, America Quadrant, Terra

Post by General Mung Beans »

Looks like the Empire will remain the villains. The new Sith lord (?) looks rather ominous even if it looks like his wearing a ski mask.
El Moose Monstero: That would be the winning song at Eurovision. I still say the Moldovans were more fun. And that one about the Apricot Tree.
That said...it is growing on me.
Thanas: It is one of those songs that kinda get stuck in your head so if you hear it several times, you actually grow to like it.
General Zod: It's the musical version of Stockholm syndrome.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Ghetto Edit - at 1:11. Is that Darth Revan?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Borgholio wrote:Ghetto Edit - at 1:11. Is that Darth Revan?
It's Driver, Spoiler
Kylo Ren? Somethin like that.
. At least I think it's his character...that been confirmed yet?

I do remember rumors that he's Spoiler
something of an artifact collector, hence Vader's helmet. So, IIRC, Revan hasn't been retconned out by new material...so it could be his mask. Maybe. Depends on how much EU sneaks its way in I suppose.
Last edited by Skywalker_T-65 on 2015-04-16 03:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE