Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Post by Galvatron »

I'd actually prefer a composer who will deftly recycle the classic themes to Williams composing bland new stuff just for the sake of having Williams back.

Don't get me wrong, John Williams is perhaps the greatest film score composer of all time, but even artists like him can run out of gas.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Lord Revan wrote:tbh ANH was rather small too and the universe didn't really open until ESB, ROTJ and the old EU.
In A New Hope the story was small because the Rebellion was small. It did not portray the Galactic Empire as being small - the Empire sent only one capital ship at a time because one capital ship was all they needed to capture Leia's corvette, one capital ship was all they needed to blow up Alderaan, and one capital ship was all they thought they needed to blow up Yavin IV. As soon as it became apparent that the Rebellion was more than simple pest control - when they managed to sucker punch the Empire's flagship - they called upon the full might of the Imperial Starfleet to crush the problem.
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

FWIW, we saw two star destroyers in ANH when the Falcon escaped Tatooine. Unlike TFA, this showed us that Vader's ship was neither unique or special.

It's too bad we never got to see more than one Executor in the OT. Maybe then Han's "there are a lot of command ships" line would have sunk in more with the EU writers who treat it like a rarity.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Galvatron wrote:I'd actually prefer a composer who will deftly recycle the classic themes to Williams composing bland new stuff just for the sake of having Williams back.

Don't get me wrong, John Williams is perhaps the greatest film score composer of all time, but even artists like him can run out of gas.

I personally had no complaints about the music. Yeah it wasn't anything special, but it wasn't bad...and I'd much prefer a ho-hum musical score to one that makes me cringe.

Plus, although John Williams is truly a legend...I'm certain whoever takes over for him will do at least a passable job.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Galvatron wrote:FWIW, we saw two star destroyers in ANH when the Falcon escaped Tatooine. Unlike TFA, this showed us that Vader's ship was neither unique or special.
Three, actually. After noticing an 'imperial cruiser' is on their tail, Han mentions there's 'two more' coming in.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I thought the movie had a good amount of storytelling minimalism, not in the Saxton Star Wars sense, which is why they barely explained a bunch of things. On the other hand, the opening scene had a bunch of maximalism mixed with the minimalism, in that there's a quick bunch of exposition from a character who is never explained.
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Elfdart wrote:
Havok wrote:Anyone that ranks this movie higher than ANH or TESB is quite frankly a moron and knows nothing about movies. It is at best, on par with ROTJ.
Anyone who ranks this movie much higher than the Holiday Special needs his head examined.
Cue the pedantic hyperbole. Don't you have damn pesky kids to chase off your lawns with a rake?

Edit: I can't type for shit
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Channel72 wrote:
Apparently, like, John Williams is the only remaining composer with any talent left on Earth, and once he's dead we basically have to settle for generic background music.
It's going to be nothing but one Hans Zimmer horns-fest after another in big budget movies when that happens. :(
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Galvatron
Decepticon Leader

Post by Galvatron »

Guardsman Bass wrote:
Channel72 wrote:
Apparently, like, John Williams is the only remaining composer with any talent left on Earth, and once he's dead we basically have to settle for generic background music.
It's going to be nothing but one Hans Zimmer horns-fest after another in big budget movies when that happens. :(
Unless they hire Howard Shore instead.
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Channel72 wrote: Apparently, like, John Williams is the only remaining composer with any talent left on Earth, and once he's dead we basically have to settle for generic background music.
Michael Giacchino, John Powell and Steve Jablonsky might have something to say about that.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

Aren't you just all glad that we have some new Star Wars to act like complete assholes to one another over?
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

No.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Battlehymn Republic
Jedi Council Member

Post by Battlehymn Republic »

I'm still waiting for Wong's review.
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Now that Elfdart has described it as little better than the Holiday Special, I want to hear his broader thoughts on it. He's defended the prequels pretty vigorously in the past.
“It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose. That is not a weakness. That is life.”
-Jean-Luc Picard

"Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them."
-Margaret Atwood
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

After seeing it twice and digesting the film for a couple of days, I am leaning towards ranking it on the same level as Episode 1. Its strengths and weaknesses are almost a mirror opposite to the Phantom Menace. While its execution (in terms of acting and writing) were superior, its story was unoriginal and subpar.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Galvatron wrote:FWIW, we saw two star destroyers in ANH when the Falcon escaped Tatooine. Unlike TFA, this showed us that Vader's ship was neither unique or special.

It's too bad we never got to see more than one Executor in the OT. Maybe then Han's "there are a lot of command ships" line would have sunk in more with the EU writers who treat it like a rarity.
TFA showed us a crashed Super Star Destroyer on Jakku, recall.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Noble713
Redshirt

Post by Noble713 »

Channel72 wrote: Apparently, like, John Williams is the only remaining composer with any talent left on Earth, and once he's dead we basically have to settle for generic background music.
Can we pry Jeremy Soule out of the video game industry's hands?
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Vympel wrote:

TFA showed us a crashed Super Star Destroyer on Jakku, recall.
You sure that was an SSD? Looked vert much like a run of the mill Imperator to me.
"This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we’ll be lucky to live through it.” -Tom Clancy
Col. Crackpot
That Obnoxious Guy

Post by Col. Crackpot »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:After seeing it twice and digesting the film for a couple of days, I am leaning towards ranking it on the same level as Episode 1. Its strengths and weaknesses are almost a mirror opposite to the Phantom Menace. While its execution (in terms of acting and writing) were superior, its story was unoriginal and subpar.
John Boyega and Daisy Ridley ran circles round Portman, McGregor and Neeson. This movie actually had vibrant charming characters. There was fire and spirit... For all his faults Adam Driver does "damaged goods" well. At its worst, TPM had cardboard cutouts.
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Col. Crackpot wrote: You sure that was an SSD? Looked vert much like a run of the mill Imperator to me.
You're thinking about the ship Rey was scavenging in. The ship the Falcon flew through was 100% an SSD. The novelization confirms it, but we can see it for ourselves really easily here.

Once you realise the ship crashed upside down, its super obvious. Note the number and position of the visible engines. Other identifying features will have to wait for the home release, but they're there.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Vympel wrote:
Col. Crackpot wrote: You sure that was an SSD? Looked vert much like a run of the mill Imperator to me.
You're thinking about the ship Rey was scavenging in. The ship the Falcon flew through was 100% an SSD. The novelization confirms it, but we can see it for ourselves really easily here.

Once you realise the ship crashed upside down, its super obvious. Note the number and position of the visible engines. Other identifying features will have to wait for the home release, but they're there.
+ you see it crashing in the background during the Battle of Jakku (Star Wars Battlefront) :wink:
Captain Seafort
Jedi Council Member

Post by Captain Seafort »

Vympel wrote:You're thinking about the ship Rey was scavenging in. The ship the Falcon flew through was 100% an SSD. The novelization confirms it, but we can see it for ourselves really easily here.

It's an SSD of some kind, but I don't think it's an Ex. Comparing your image to the Ex herself here and at SWTC (second line of images), I think the outer starboard engine bank is too far inboard, too far aft, and is comprised of three identical engines rather than the central one being larger. It also looks like it might be missing the intermediate two-engine bank - although that might be hidden by the superstructure, I don't think there's enough lateral depth between the innermost engine of the starboard bank and the outermost of the central bank to fit them in. It might be a Super-class ship (aka the mangled nine-engine, 8km Ex).
Guardsman Bass
Cowardly Codfish

Post by Guardsman Bass »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:After seeing it twice and digesting the film for a couple of days, I am leaning towards ranking it on the same level as Episode 1. Its strengths and weaknesses are almost a mirror opposite to the Phantom Menace. While its execution (in terms of acting and writing) were superior, its story was unoriginal and subpar.
I agree. Phantom Menace had an interesting idea and potential story buried under bad execution - TFA has a mediocre story that's made better with good execution and characters.
-Jean-Luc Picard

-Margaret Atwood
Channel72
Jedi Council Member

Post by Channel72 »

Col. Crackpot wrote:
John Boyega and Daisy Ridley ran circles round Portman, McGregor and Neeson. This movie actually had vibrant charming characters. There was fire and spirit... For all his faults Adam Driver does "damaged goods" well. At its worst, TPM had cardboard cutouts.
Yeah, and that's really the key thing that elevates this movie to stand alongside the OT. But I suspect the average SD.net poster is more inclined to care about things like world building and plot/technical consistency. And I can perfectly understand having those priorities, and indeed I also care very much about world building and plot consistency - it's just that to me, the core element of Star Wars was always just fun characters going on an exciting space adventure. And that's basically exactly what TFA is. People complain that TFA is just "a series of action sequences with little plot." Well, what do you think ESB was? It was basically Han and Leia running around in the Millenium Falcon from action sequence to action sequence, while quipping at each other sarcastically. But it's considered a masterpiece because of the characters and amazing visuals. You can basically tell that Abrams and co. looked at the task in front of them, and basically said, okay let's distill Star Wars down to its essence, and make a film about that. And they did, and it's pretty awesome. A bit too derivative of ANH in terms of plot structure and imagery, definitely, but there's enough new elements (especially Kylo Ren) that set it apart and make it a unique film.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

indeed I also care very much about world building and plot consistency - it's just that to me, the core element of Star Wars was always just fun characters going on an exciting space adventure. And that's basically exactly what TFA is.
This.

I fully acknowledge the fact that this movie was light on plot and worldbuilding, but I really don't care at this point. I had a fucking amazing time at the movie. I had a grin from ear to ear and I felt like an 8 year old again watching Luke and Leia swinging across a chasm being chased by Stormtroopers.

I believe that the idea of this movie was to re-invigorate the franchise and make a movie that was simply FUN. They needed to attract people who may have been turned off the by PT as well as a new generation and they fully succeeded in that goal. There's plenty of time in the next two movies to get into the backstory and plot and do more storytelling now that everybody knows Star Wars is back.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!