Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

loomer
Sith Marauder

Re: Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Post by loomer »

I saw it.

It wasn't the same Star Wars I fell in love with.

It was, however, very good anyway. Only a few minor quibbles and irritations. It's definitely more on the fantasy side of SW's fantasy/sci-fi continuum, but I don't mind that.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So without giving away spoilers, how does it rank in comparison to the existing movies? Will people who grew up with the OT like it or dislike it?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
loomer
Sith Marauder

Post by loomer »

I grew up with the OT and I really liked it. I'd rank it as about equal or slightly better to ANH, inferior to ROTJ and ESB, and superior to the prequels. So did my mate, who likewise grew up on the OT.
"Doctors keep their scalpels and other instruments handy, for emergencies. Keep your philosophy ready too—ready to understand heaven and earth. In everything you do, even the smallest thing, remember the chain that links them. Nothing earthly succeeds by ignoring heaven, nothing heavenly by ignoring the earth." M.A.A.A
Mange
Sith Marauder

Post by Mange »

Just got back home after watching The Force Awakens. It was pretty good, but I think Harrison Ford carried the movie.

As the spoiler tags doesn't work, I won't write anything spoilerific, but even as the movie followed the structure of ANH, I think the it lacked somewhat in cohesion and also when explaining the setting. It was also pretty darn minimalist (worse than the old EU and anything seen in the previous movies) and I can't wrap my head around that Starkiller... One nice touch was that the Millennium Falcon was mentioned as being a "YT-freighter".
fgalkin
Carvin' Marvin

Post by fgalkin »

Ok, quick and spoiler-free observations. It has gotten rid of Lucas's crap, but replaced it with JJ's crap.

JJ is a better director than Lucas, and this is his best movie, but his minimalism is jarring. I fear we might miss the days of Travis as a kind of golden age.

Despite that, it captures the feel of the old trilogy, but it does so by, ahem, "borrowing" quite heavily from it. Overall, the film feels like a remake of ANH with better special effects and a bigger budget. It starts on a desert planet, there is a cantina scene, and lots of other stuff that you will be able to guess pretty easily.

The First Order is somehow even more incompetent than the Empire. It's impressive, really. Because of that, the heroes seemed a bit overpowered to the point that it looked like watching a leveled-up KOTOR character at times. But, like, the Force is strong with that lot, so I guess it's ok.

Kylo Ren......I'm not particularly happy about, but he's had his moments.

Lots of Han and Chewie, lots of Millennium Falcon action.

Have a very nice day.
-fgalkin
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Worse than the OT, but not by much. Definitely better than the Prequels. It was structured a lot like ANH but not to the point that it looked like a rehash. Somebody really liked to see ships fly over water :)
The First Order employs the same contractors the Empire did-bottomless pits everywhere and hardly a railing in sight.
The minimalism was a bit jarring but maybe the supwerweapon and the gazillion Stormtroopers broke the budget?
The best Star Wars movie ever? Hardly. Worth watching? HELL YES!
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

in the First Order's defense I dout we've yet to see a railing on a walkway above a bottomless pit.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Overall, I enjoyed this filming would give it a 7.5/10.

I have 2 serious qualms.

1) Kylo bin Jacen is not scary, not intriguing and not a worthy SW villain. I hold out hope for Snokemort

2) The score was bland and perfectly forgettable, a distressing first for the franchise.
Scottish Ninja
Jedi Knight

Post by Scottish Ninja »

Lord Revan wrote:in the First Order's defense I dout we've yet to see a railing on a walkway above a bottomless pit.
We saw one on the Death Star, in ANH, in the scene when they're taking Chewie to the turbolift.
"If the flight succeeds, you swipe an absurd amount of prestige for a single mission. Heroes of the Zenobian Onion will literally rain upon you." - PeZook
"If the capsule explodes, heroes of the Zenobian Onion will still rain upon us. Literally!" - Shroom
Cosmonaut Ivan Ivanovich Ivanov (deceased, rain), Cosmonaut Petr Petrovich Petrov, Unnamed MASA Engineer, and Unnamed Zenobian Engineerski in Let's play: BARIS
Captain, MFS Robber Baron, PRFYNAFBTFC - "Absolute Corruption Powers Absolutely"
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

I think it was a bit underwhelming for me for some reason. I know everyone basically says it's better than the Prequel trilogy. And while I think it was superior to my least favorite film, Attack of the Clones, I thought it was subpar compared to one of my favorites, Revenge of the Sith, which was a Prequel trilogy film.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Loved the leads, the First Order had good visuals.

One thing that kinda bugged me- why still so few aliens among the rebels/resistance?? There were tons of aliens in the film, but the Resistance was human central.

Oh yea, I'm unclear on whether Snoke is huge, or simply has a huge hologram. I kinda hope he's huge ^^
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

I didn't get that vibe. For the foot traffic its probably practical, its much easier to build sets and costumes for human forms and makeup costs money. But where they didn't have to worry about that like in the X-wing cockpits you see a lot more.

We actually don't know what the human/alien demographics of the galaxy is. Or what the values and frame of reference are for these alien intelligence that matter. Some seem analogs to humans in most relevant ways. Quite a few do not. Some are quite out there.
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

William's work wasn't that notable this time around either. I can't point to a particular unique melody that encapsulates the film. He was much better at it in the Prequel trilogy, particularly with Duel of the Fates and Battle of Heroes.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Patroklos wrote:I didn't get that vibe. For the foot traffic its probably practical, its much easier to build sets and costumes for human forms and makeup costs money. But where they didn't have to worry about that like in the X-wing cockpits you see a lot more.
I can get that, but some odd-shaped helmets or just different color skin would be cool. A weird outfit or two concealing an implied-human form... heck, just a twi'lek or few would be really nice.

I mean, we *just* saw the bar full of aliens!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So here's a question...in what order do you watch the movies now? Ever since the PT was released, the argument was whether to watch it in real-life chronological order (4,5,6,1,2,3) in order to get the maximum impact of the storytelling...or watch it in in-universe chronological order (1,2,3,4,5,6). I've always preferred watching the OT first as the story flows better that way, but now I wonder...will Episodes 7 on up be best watched after the PT or in numerical order?
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Borg, for the run up to this premiere I used numero order watching 2 movies a day. RotS and ANH back-to-back is a great experience.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Normally I hear you want to do 4-5-*then* the parts of the PT you want-6.

4 and 5 first so you get the Vader reveal. Then the Prequel trilogy fills you in more on the Emperor and such. Finish with Jedi. And then now stick 7 onto the end of that.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

That's an interesting idea...never thought of that before. I might have to try it next week.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Q99 wrote: One thing that kinda bugged me- why still so few aliens among the rebels/resistance?? There were tons of aliens in the film, but the Resistance was human central.
When you are designing a military, it makes sense to standardize. If a dozen alien races each require different uniforms, it would make little sense to have a military that threw all dozen together.
Oh yea, I'm unclear on whether Snoke is huge, or simply has a huge hologram. I kinda hope he's huge ^^
Pretty sure that was just a hologram. Though it was an interesting means of making himself appear larger.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Borgholio wrote:That's an interesting idea...never thought of that before. I might have to try it next week.
I believe it is called the Machete order. It originally intended to entirely skip TPM. Which I don't see the point of, it still leaves AOTC, which I consider far weaker than TPM.
Q99
Jedi Council Member

Post by Q99 »

Adam Reynolds wrote: When you are designing a military, it makes sense to standardize. If a dozen alien races each require different uniforms, it would make little sense to have a military that threw all dozen together.
Sure, but there's a lot of aliens who can use basically human gear, maybe need a different helmet or something, etc..
Pretty sure that was just a hologram. Though it was an interesting means of making himself appear larger.
I'm just curious on what size he is on the other end of the hologram ^^
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I believe it is called the Machete order. It originally intended to entirely skip TPM. Which I don't see the point of, it still leaves AOTC, which I consider far weaker than TPM.
I really don't hate TPM all that much. Sure it's the weakest of the series IMO, but it's not a bad movie. AOTC has some milk-curdling dialogue in it but again IMO, the ground engagement between the Clones and the droids makes up for everything. :)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Q99 wrote: Sure, but there's a lot of aliens who can use basically human gear, maybe need a different helmet or something, etc..
And how much would a dozen different helmet designs cost in comparison to one?

Out of universe, this is the problem with going back to a reliance on "practical effects." When you use more CGI, it far easier to add a diverse group of aliens in the background rather than mostly humans. For an extreme version, Mass Effect does this to a great deal because it is entirely animated. When you walk around the Citadel or Omega you see far more aliens than humans. In Star Wars it is always the opposite.
I'm just curious on what size he is on the other end of the hologram ^^
Until next movie, who knows.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Anyone that ranks this movie higher than ANH or TESB is quite frankly a moron and knows nothing about movies. It is at best, on par with ROTJ.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Havok wrote:Anyone that ranks this movie higher than ANH or TESB is quite frankly a moron and knows nothing about movies. It is at best, on par with ROTJ.
Agreed. I would personally rank it just below ROTJ. ROTJ had stronger emotional payoff, and while it was easy to criticize the Empire for their overconfidence at Endor, that paled in comparison to the issue we saw in this movie that I won't reveal for those who haven't saw it yet.