Clone Wars S6 to air on Netflix

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Mange
Sith Marauder

Re: Clone Wars S6 to air on Netflix

Post by Mange »

Arawn Fenn wrote:Of course, this is the same Lucas who had Anakin Solo killed off because... wait for it... he didn't want us to get Anakin Solo confused with Anakin Skywalker.
That's actually a myth: Tosche Station: Mythbusting: Did George Lucas order Anakin Solo’s death?
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

StarSword wrote:However, the "name of the planet changed over time" handwave is actually surprisingly acceptable for a franchise with such an iffy sense of scale. English alone has changed a lot more than that in way less time.
Yeah, planet names changed in the Dune franchise, and a certain other SW planet has had, what, three names so far?
Batman wrote:It was a major location in a game that was (according to you) widely considered one of the best RPGs ever...by gamers. I know it's easy to forget that hanging around here but we make up a tiny fraction of the potential audience (even within the subset predisposed to watch Wars).
I know Coruscant and Korriban aren't the same planet. I know they can't be...because I have information the average viewer does not.
It's not all about the video game. The so-called "average viewer" surely has the capacity to notice that the two planets look nothing alike, based just on watching the PT. (This aside from story context.)
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Arawn Fenn wrote:It's not all about the video game. The so-called "average viewer" surely has the capacity to notice that the two planets look nothing alike, based just on watching the PT. (This aside from story context.)
How many average viewers would actually watch this show to begin with? The average person who watches the movies isn't likely to bother watching a cartoon series.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

StarSword wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:actually Corusant and Korriban aren't pronounced that differently, it's not that stupid to assume a casual viewer might get those 2 mixed after all these series aren't made for SW geeks only and I suspect most casual viewers don't even know about Korriban as it's EU material
After it was a major location in a game widely considered one of the best RPGs ever? Yeah, totally confusable with Coruscant. :roll:
What game is that? I have fucking Star Wars tattoos and I don't know what you are talking about.

CORE EH BAHN
CORE OO SANT
It's not that far off, I mean it's not Sauron and Saruman the first time you are reading Lord Of The Rings, but the show was on the damned Disney channel. There is dumbing down and not making something needlessly confusing.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Arawn Fenn wrote:It's not all about the video game. The so-called "average viewer" surely has the capacity to notice that the two planets look nothing alike, based just on watching the PT. (This aside from story context.)
The average viewer doesn't need to distinguish between the planets while they are on them visually, but when they are talking about them when they are not.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

DUDE! They killed Captain Tarpals. :(
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So, finally watched all 13 episodes. An excellent way to end the series, I must say. Did it wrap up all the loose ends of the series? Well, no, but given the circumstances I wouldn't have expected it to.

But I will say this: I think it wrapped up the loose ends that needed to be wrapped up...before Episode III.

Sure, it would have been great to see what Ahsoka had gotten herself up to, or the fate of Mandalore. But y'know what? Ahsoka left the Jedi Order, meaning it's highly unlikely she got caught by Order 66. And it's not like Civil Wars are done overnight, either. So those two plot threads can, at the very least, by safely addressed by Rebels - and I imagine they will. The only real plot thread I can see needing some form of pre-Ep3 resolution is Darth Maul and what Sidious has in store for him, but apparently he's getting a comic book so whatever.

All in all, I am sad to see TCW go, especially knowing they had so much more planned for at least two seasons to come. And I am really hoping we get to see Ahsoka and Bo Katan in Rebels not only to resolve their respective arcs, but also because Ashley Eckstein and Katie Sackhoff are pretty awesome and I'd love to hear more of them in that galaxy far, far away.

But anyway, on to the arcs!

Order 66 - Oh man, what a gut punch that turned out to be! Poor Fives and Tup... :( This was an all-around fantastic arc and really ups the overall tragedy that is the Clone Army. Not only do we learn that they never had a choice about Order 66, but this does so much to humanize them, from Five's insistence that it "matters to a Clone" whether you address them by name or number, to the Clone Bar showing that yes, these men are so very much human and not just organic droids, to Tup's and Five's determination to take whatever risks there may be in the hope of solving this mystery that could affect their brothers. And that ending...so many feels! Clone episodes are some of the best episodes TCW produced, and these four were no exception.

Clovis - Technically meant for Season 5 (and hearing Ian Abercrombie as Palpatine once more was a treat in and of itself), this brought back Padme to the fore, who deserves some screen-time, what with being a central character of the PT and all. Plus it nicely resolves Clovis' story and makes him a truly sympathetic and tragic figure by the end. And damn, more of Palpatine's manipulations, expertly playing both sides of the war to his ultimate advantage. I know these politics episodes are always hit or miss with the fandom, but I think this one was a solid hit.

Jar Jar - TCW has done a lot to redeem him from his Episode I days, and this episode is a fitting cap to that. A fun Temple of Doom reference in the first part, and seeing Jar Jar with that ultimate of straight men Mace Windu provided for much quality humor. Plus, we see the end of Mother Talzin, and it seems somehow fitting that Mace be the one to finish her off. And what of everyone's favorite Gungan? Well, he was legitimately useful here. And he managed to contribute to the fights with actual effort on his part (like punching that one dude in the face) rather than the accidental antics he is known for. I think it showed the real growth TCW gave his character, and I'm glad they took the risk because it paid off, IMO. Sure maybe we could have had a different two episodes for this, the finale of an epic series, but I think it works and serves as a nice breather to the tragedies that hallmarked the previous arcs. Especially as we are led into...

Yoda - So, this arc. Epic. What more can I say? Everything about it showed maximum effort: the story, the music and dear Lord the visuals were breathtaking. Yoda was really put through the ringer in those final three episodes, wasn't he? And I gotta say, Ahsoka's brief (and unexpected, but a pleasant surprise!) cameo really tugged at my heartstrings. And you can tell it had an effect on Yoda, too. An excellent mini follow-up to what was, before the Lost Missions, TCW's epic series finale. Those scenes of what it would have been like, without the war, also tugged on the emotions. To see all those fallen Jedi in that utterly peaceful and beautiful courtyard I never knew the Jedi Temple had, and having Obi-Wan chatting with Qui-Gon and Dooku...oh what could have been without the manipulation of the Sith! And that ending was also great, giving us a great hope spot for the Dark Times we all know are coming. TCW is one of the few shows that I can say has had two excellent finales, and I could not honestly pick one over the other.

So yeah, I liked the way it ended. Would have loved to see what they had for us in a full Season Six and then Season Seven, but alas it was not meant to be. But we do have Rebels to look forward to, and if nothing else, Season Six of TCW has just further reinforced my faith that quality Star Wars television has not ended, but is only just beginning.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Dude... I don't think I can take much more of droids dying. :cry:
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Working through season 5 now. Four was really good. They are getting better at the multi episode archs. From the horrors of war with the clones, the the darker tone with Anakin. Some of the fluff episodes were meh! But over all it's really good stuff. Obi Wan undercover was really good, Vietnam style warfare was really good. The Jedi backed insurgency was really good. I am getting a little tired of the Pirate Hondo, but other than that...
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Of course, this is the same Lucas who had Anakin Solo killed off because... wait for it... he didn't want us to get Anakin Solo confused with Anakin Skywalker.
And the same Lucas who made Greedo shoot first. Lucas shall rot in hell for that one alone.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Borgholio wrote:And the same Lucas who made Greedo shoot first. Lucas shall rot in hell for that one alone.
To hear Lucas tell it that had more to do with the MPAA threatening to upgrade ANH to PG-13 for showing a main character committing justifiable homicide. (The original movie was made before they created the PG-13 rating.)
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Seasons 1-3 and 4-6 almost seem like different shows to me. 1-3 had some pretty cool story arcs, but they were basically diamonds in an ocean of mediocrity.

With 4-6, they creative team finally decided, "yes, we want to make a Star Wars show instead of a kiddie show." They stopped airing shit out of order, and they cut out most of the juvenile shit like the battle droid humor. The animation is noticeably better as well.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

I liked the battle droid humor. One of my favorites so far was the 'little miniature Jedi, Oh my knees!'
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So the music for The Clone Wars was fucking epic, and as I watch through old episodes on Netflix, not only do I get to relive the awesome stories, actions and characters, but I also reacquaint myself with Kevin Kiner's incredible work. Whatever the quality of any individual episode or story arc may have been, Mister Kiner was always in top form, IMO.

And so while I wait for the day Lucasfilm/Disney wake up and realize they should release seasonal soundtracks, I have Kevin Kiner's own website to keep me occupied. Just click on "The Clone Wars" and prepare yourself for an audial treat. Music from the series, not just the movie. "Withdraw the Troops" is especially amazing, IMO. I need to find that episode and listen to it in the context of whatever scene they gave it, because God damn it gives me some chills. Also, right at the top of the list, is the music that plays as Ahsoka leaves in the S5 finale, as well as the credits theme all in one nice piece.

Definitely check it out if you liked this series and appreciated the epic music Kevin Kiner produced for it. IMO, his work most definitely stands shoulder-to-shoulder with John Williams in creating the musical legacy of Star Wars.
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
applejack
Padawan Learner

Post by applejack »

RogueIce wrote: "Withdraw the Troops" is especially amazing, IMO. I need to find that episode and listen to it in the context of whatever scene they gave it, because God damn it gives me some chills.
Someone over at theforce.net says it's the climax and end of the last episode of the Onderon arc, Tipping Points.
Dear Lord, the gods have been good to me. As an offering, I present these milk and cookies. If you wish me to eat them instead, please give me no sign whatsoever *pauses* Thy will be done *munch munch munch*. - Homer Simpson
Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

Havok wrote:What game is that? I have fucking Star Wars tattoos and I don't know what you are talking about.
You never heard of KOTOR? Damn.
Havok wrote:The average viewer doesn't need to distinguish between the planets while they are on them visually, but when they are talking about them when they are not.
Because by the time Yoda gets there they'll be passed out?
RogueIce wrote:Plus, we see the end of Mother Talzin
Unless she turns up in "Son of Dathomir" as implied by Jeremy Barlow.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
RogueIce wrote:Plus, we see the end of Mother Talzin
Unless she turns up in "Son of Dathomir" as implied by Jeremy Barlow.
Could be set prior to Jar Jar's episodes, chronologically. Or not. She's certainly cheated before.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
Havok wrote:What game is that? I have fucking Star Wars tattoos and I don't know what you are talking about.
maybe he's just not into SW games or RPG games. If I asked either of my parents if they knew what KOTOR was I doubt they could say yes, hell I doubt my brother who's only 4 years older then me could name plot details from KOTOR even if he did know the game.

besides "never heard" and "will remember every minute plot detail" are 2 different things, for all we know Havok has heard of KOTOR but it never interested him enough to remember minor plot or setting details.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
I've heard of it. I've played it.
A. When you say "RPG" without the context of "video game" I think Dungeons and Dragons like most non-nerd people do.
B. KOTOR came out what, almost 10 years ago? Most of the little kids watching the Disney Channel for this show have never even seen an original XBOX, let alone played your "greatest RPG" of all time.
C. Most people don't obsess over a video games and don't remember locations or characters from them after a decade.
D. Like Revan said, if I happen to be a Star Wars lover, yet not into RPGs, why would I know anything about a dumb name from a dumb game that only those nerds play.

You have to understand the Star Wars is a cultural icon. You can know every line from every movie without ever having picked up a comic book or video game controller in your life. The people on this site are nerds. If Star Wars didn't exist, there is a good chance we would all still be here talking about all the other nerd enjoyments we have.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)