Clone Wars S6 to air on Netflix

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Clone Wars S6 to air on Netflix

Post by Dartzap »

Good news, everyone!
The sixth and final season of Star Wars: The Clone Wars will be coming exclusively to Netflix users in the US and Canada on Friday, March 7th.

In addition to the final 13-episode run, being referred to as "The Lost Missions", Netflix will also have the entire Star Wars: The Clone Wars saga and the feature film. What's more, the entire run will also include many director's cut episodes never before seen on television.

The final season will focus on the mysteries behind the timeless conflict between the light and dark sides of the Force. Anakin's closest relationship is tested and Master Yoda has a prominent role to play.

“Stars Wars is one of the most iconic franchises of all time and this series joins a long line of Disney content that Netflix members are and will continue to enjoy for years to come,” said Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos. “The Clone Wars marks an important moment as Netflix welcomes more and more first-run content from The Walt Disney Company and its subsidiaries.”

The announcement marks the first time any Star Wars content has been available on the surface.

We've reached out to Netflix UK to find out when subscribers in other regions can expect to see the episodes. We'll update the story if we hear back.
According to Netflix UK, it'll be turning up here as well.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Re: Clone Wars S6 to air on Netflix

Post by Knife »

Cool, watched the first couple seasons just on sw.com. Then it all went on Itunes or what ever so missed the last couple seasons. Glad I can catch up
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
NecronLord
Harbinger of Doom
Harbinger of Doom

Post by NecronLord »

Guess I'm getting netflix at last.
Superior Moderator - BotB - HAB [Drill Instructor]-Writer- Stardestroyer.net's resident Star-God.
"We believe in the systematic understanding of the physical world through observation and experimentation, argument and debate and most of all freedom of will." ~ Stargate: The Ark of Truth
tezunegari
Jedi Knight

Post by tezunegari »

Oh, you haven't been able to watch it yet? The first story arc aired as a two hour special yesterday evening (15th Feb) on german TV.

:mrgreen: It was good but had the typical weaknesses of that kind of story.
"Bring your thousands, I have my axe."
"Bring your cannons, I have my armor."
"Bring your mighty... I am my own champion."
Cue Unit-01 ramming half the Lance of Longinus down Adam's head and a bemused Gendo, "Wrong end, son."
Ikari Gendo, NGE Fanfiction "Standing Tall"
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Sweet. I've been waiting to watch it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Tychu
Jedi Master

Post by Tychu »

Jumping on my Xbox right now!! Are all the episodes on or do we have to wait as if it was real TV?
"Boring Conversation anyway" Han Solo

"What kinda archeologist carries a weapon........Bad Example" Colonel Jack O'Neil

"My name is Olo... Hans Olo" -Dr. Daniel Jackson

"Well you did make the Farmingdale Run in less than 12 parsecs" --Personal Quote

"Just popped out for lunch" - Rowan Atkinson as Mr. Bean
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

Just finished watching it. This was definitely the best season yet, and now i'm sorry the show got cancelled. There wasn't a bad story arc in the lot. There was a good mix of action and drama throughout.

I was worried at first that they were going to retcon the origins of the Sith to take a shot at the TOR era, but the presentation of Korriban/Moraband is literally straight out of KoTOR, they just changed the name at Lucas' request because he didn't think a planet's name would stay the same for 3,000 years.

Also, pay attention to when Yoda is talking to the spirit of Darth Bane for a cool voice cameo.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

How the hell can people say S6 is good? It was crap. There was no plot that mattered. Lose ends from S5 was not tied up. Seriously this was a FUCK UP.

Then in the last 3 story arc we had "Yoda's training" from a group of powerful/magical beings that have never been documented in SW-verse before. Hey, for that matter why don't we introduce the Chaos Gods into SW-verse while we're at it. For FUCK sake, keep to the SW literature!!!
Last edited by AndroAsc on 2014-03-09 03:08am, edited 1 time in total.
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Duplicate post, pls delete
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

I watched the first two episodes of season six. I like the story but the explanation of how the clones were programmed with general order 66 seems odd.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

paladin wrote:I watched the first two episodes of season six. I like the story but the explanation of how the clones were programmed with general order 66 seems odd.
"Programmed"? What?
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

AndroAsc wrote:Then in the last 3 story arc we had "Yoda's training" from a group of powerful/magical beings that have never been documented in SW-verse before. Hey, for that matter why don't we introduce the Chaos Gods into SW-verse while we're at it. For FUCK sake, keep to the SW literature!!!
You are forgetting how bad some of the literature was (There was actually a Jedi rabbit). In the original Clone Wars novel continuity only LOE was truly good, though Shatterpoint was a reasonably interesting story even though it was a ripoff of Heart of Darkness. Surprisingly the comic books often told a better view of the Clone Wars than any of the novels with the Jabiim arc being especially good as a truly pointless conflict(which represented the entire war in a microcosm).

Though this series seems to be at its worst when it ignores that there is actually the largest war in galactic history going on. The pure Force elements seem generally quite bad. Some of that content makes me wish that all we saw from Lucas with regard to The Force since the OT was midichlorians.
paladin wrote:I watched the first two episodes of season six. I like the story but the explanation of how the clones were programmed with general order 66 seems odd.
Why did they need to be programmed at all? This is the classic example of what is wrong with the EU, it gives explanations for things that no one wondered. It was a lawful order and they were carrying it out. This was flat out stated in the novelization as to why the Jedi failed to detect it as there was no malice. The fact that the excellent novelization contradicts the series in countless other ways is another problem I have always had with the series.
AndroAsc
Padawan Learner

Post by AndroAsc »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
Why did they need to be programmed at all? This is the classic example of what is wrong with the EU, it gives explanations for things that no one wondered. It was a lawful order and they were carrying it out. This was flat out stated in the novelization as to why the Jedi failed to detect it as there was no malice. The fact that the excellent novelization contradicts the series in countless other ways is another problem I have always had with the series.
Why would they not need to be programmed? Even if it was a legitimate order, how many of the clones would execute order 66 is they were not programmed? The fought along side the Jedi, shed blood together those kind of crap. Would not the first human reaction is to think that order 66 was a separatist ploy? Even if it was a lawful order, normal people would have problems carrying it out, morality and that sort of crap.

Hence, I think the programming explanation is perfectly plausible.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

AndroAsc wrote:Why would they not need to be programmed? Even if it was a legitimate order, how many of the clones would execute order 66 is they were not programmed? The fought along side the Jedi, shed blood together those kind of crap. Would not the first human reaction is to think that order 66 was a separatist ploy? Even if it was a lawful order, normal people would have problems carrying it out, morality and that sort of crap.
Clones aren't normal people, they had been genetically engineered to be more obedient. They wouldn't need to be programmed for the specific order, a general case of absolute obedience to the chain of command would be enough. I would agree however that this indoctrination could count as programming, just not necessarily to a specific order which would seem to raise red flags to Jedi. As to that question of a Seperatist ploy, a group of Clone Commandos(that are more independent than the mainline troopers) did disobey the order in the novel Dark Lord for exactly that reason.

The bigger issue I have with the plot is the idea of a conspiracy during the war of a clone investigating the programming. Wouldn't they logically know about it already and know not to investigate their own training protocols?
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

Adamskywalker007 wrote:
AndroAsc wrote:Why would they not need to be programmed? Even if it was a legitimate order, how many of the clones would execute order 66 is they were not programmed? The fought along side the Jedi, shed blood together those kind of crap. Would not the first human reaction is to think that order 66 was a separatist ploy? Even if it was a lawful order, normal people would have problems carrying it out, morality and that sort of crap.
Clones aren't normal people, they had been genetically engineered to be more obedient. They wouldn't need to be programmed for the specific order, a general case of absolute obedience to the chain of command would be enough. I would agree however that this indoctrination could count as programming, just not necessarily to a specific order which would seem to raise red flags to Jedi. As to that question of a Seperatist ploy, a group of Clone Commandos(that are more independent than the mainline troopers) did disobey the order in the novel Dark Lord for exactly that reason.

The bigger issue I have with the plot is the idea of a conspiracy during the war of a clone investigating the programming. Wouldn't they logically know about it already and know not to investigate their own training protocols?
The explanation in the Clone Wars series for the clones following general order 66 was some kind of chip in their heads. The chip in one clone trooper's head malfunctioned causing him to attack and kill a jedi master. I had always thought the clones followed order 66 since it was a valid order from a superior.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

paladin wrote:The explanation in the Clone Wars series for the clones following general order 66 was some kind of chip in their heads. The chip in one clone trooper's head malfunctioned causing him to attack and kill a jedi master.
And people say Karen Traviss is bad. At least she was able to work out that the clones would follow the order because of exactly the logic we've been using in this thread. No need for some magic mind control chip; they're following what they perceive to be valid orders from their commander-in-chief, and lack the context under which the orders were given (i.e. Palpy just killed several Jedi Masters and is executing his evil plan to rule the universe). And some of them still refused to pull the trigger (and not just in the Republic Commando books, I might add).

Oh, and funny thing? Order 65 apparently has the GAR doing the same thing as Order 66, except to Palpatine.

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

The thing is there is NO WAY the Clones would turn on the Jedi based on the way they have shown and developed their relationships.
IF the clones are just mindless order followers then yeah, but they have free will and decision making abilities. On top of that they value loyalty more than anything else. Yes they would follow Order 66, but not without damn good reason and not without questioning the order. The chip make sense.

That said, as I am on season 2 episode 19, I am frankly shocked at the level of death and cruelty the series shows. I knew they had to show it but I guess I wasn't quite prepared for it. Also I think marathoning through it probably doesn't help as it's just death after death after death. Animals, troopers, Jedi, Senators, hell even the droids getting killed adds to it as they clearly have distinctive personalities and life experiences. But seriously, every episode I am all like "Dude. Did they need to show that?"

Now that said, I am really enjoying the characters, and the look of the series, while maybe not growing on me, definitely fits the tone of the series.

I also really like the feel and scope of the series. It feels big while at the same time feeling appropriately close/small because of the speed of travel so that the Republic Senate actually seems needed.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

And what the fucking shit?! Why the fuck are the episodes all out of fucking order?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

StarSword wrote:
paladin wrote:The explanation in the Clone Wars series for the clones following general order 66 was some kind of chip in their heads. The chip in one clone trooper's head malfunctioned causing him to attack and kill a jedi master.
And people say Karen Traviss is bad. At least she was able to work out that the clones would follow the order because of exactly the logic we've been using in this thread. No need for some magic mind control chip; they're following what they perceive to be valid orders from their commander-in-chief, and lack the context under which the orders were given (i.e. Palpy just killed several Jedi Masters and is executing his evil plan to rule the universe). And some of them still refused to pull the trigger (and not just in the Republic Commando books, I might add).

Oh, and funny thing? Order 65 apparently has the GAR doing the same thing as Order 66, except to Palpatine.
No, Karen Traviss' explanation was stupid as hell. I didn't think it was possible that any sane person could watch Episode 3 and think "oh yeah, the clones are just following an order from their lawful commander in chief."

You know, the order from the commander-in-chief in a big scary black robe, who they just suddenly started calling "My Lord". Oh, and they all said the exact same phrase in response.

Of course it was mental conditioning, and it could never have been anything else. The organic chip explanation from Clone Wars justifiably and rightly shits all over Traviss' foolishness.
Havok wrote:The thing is there is NO WAY the Clones would turn on the Jedi based on the way they have shown and developed their relationships.
IF the clones are just mindless order followers then yeah, but they have free will and decision making abilities. On top of that they value loyalty more than anything else. Yes they would follow Order 66, but not without damn good reason and not without questioning the order. The chip make sense.

That said, as I am on season 2 episode 19, I am frankly shocked at the level of death and cruelty the series shows. I knew they had to show it but I guess I wasn't quite prepared for it. Also I think marathoning through it probably doesn't help as it's just death after death after death. Animals, troopers, Jedi, Senators, hell even the droids getting killed adds to it as they clearly have distinctive personalities and life experiences. But seriously, every episode I am all like "Dude. Did they need to show that?"

Now that said, I am really enjoying the characters, and the look of the series, while maybe not growing on me, definitely fits the tone of the series.

I also really like the feel and scope of the series. It feels big while at the same time feeling appropriately close/small because of the speed of travel so that the Republic Senate actually seems needed.
Wow, you're lucky - you've got some good stuff to look forward to. IMO, Season 4 is the best season (Season 4's Umbara arc in particular is pretty hardcore and oh so definitely not for kids - and also my favorite arc, easily) as it has the least just plain dumb episodes. But the quality story arcs far outweigh the bad ones.

I know the way they jump around in the timeline is frustrating, but there is a general progression toward later in the war. There's a point where everyone's look gets updated - clones go to their Episode 3 armor, Anakin goes to his Episode 3 look, Obi-Wan does as well (except for the arm gauntlet things), etc.
Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
Vympel
Spetsnaz
Spetsnaz

Post by Vympel »

Like Legend of Galactic Heroes? Please contribute to http://gineipaedia.com/
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Vympel wrote:No, Karen Traviss' explanation was stupid as hell. I didn't think it was possible that any sane person could watch Episode 3 and think "oh yeah, the clones are just following an order from their lawful commander in chief."

You know, the order from the commander-in-chief in a big scary black robe, who they just suddenly started calling "My Lord". Oh, and they all said the exact same phrase in response.
Implicitly covered already. Text of Order 66, from book of same name (relevant bit underlined):
In the event of Jedi officers acting against the interests of the Republic, and after receiving specific orders verified as coming directly from the Supreme Commander (Chancellor), GAR commanders will remove those officers by lethal force, and command of the GAR will revert to the Supreme Commander (Chancellor) until a new command structure is established.
The order authenticated as coming from Palpatine's office and matched Palpatine's voice. As for the "My Lord" thing, the formal mode of address for the Chancellor was already "Your Excellency" rather than something less nobility-esque (for lack of a better term) like "Mr. Chancellor". "My Lord" doesn't seem like an out-of-the-way mode of address from there, and since Palpy was covertly involved in the clones' creation, he could've easily slipped that into the training materials.
Of course it was mental conditioning, and it could never have been anything else. The organic chip explanation from Clone Wars justifiably and rightly shits all over Traviss' foolishness.
You're right: It was mental conditioning. Mental and genetic conditioning, per AOTC, to not question the chain of command. And despite that, EU material not written by Karen Traviss depicts at least one case where the clones refused the order anyway. (see below)

I'm not going to say I like everything she did with her books (Etain's death was as abominably stupid as the Jacen-goes-Sith arc in LOTF, and she wanks about Mandos too much), but she gets beat on more than she deserves and even gets blamed for things she had no say in.
Havok wrote:The thing is there is NO WAY the Clones would turn on the Jedi based on the way they have shown and developed their relationships.
Some did question the order for exactly that reason, and in material that Traviss never got anywhere near. James Luceno's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader had a unit of clone commandos stop another unit from killing three Jedi.

The chip's a handwave to cover a plot hole that didn't actually exist.
In the biggest war the galaxy had seen for over a millennium? :) But, yeah, probably could've toned it down.

Doesn't help that they're even worse about Hollywood tactics than the movies. Seriously, standing out in the fucking open blazing away at a battalion-strength number of droids with a pair of fucking pistols? You deserved to get shot, Captain Keeli, and it's only because the B1s are absolute shit that you and Ima-Gun Di survived as long as you did. ("Supply Lines")

And "Cloak of Darkness" should've been solved in about ten seconds because the GAR had space superiority. Just glass the area surrounding the shield from orbit and you've taken out most of the enemy garrison. Then you can worry about a ground assault to get inside the shield, a la Hoth.

Arawn Fenn
Youngling

Post by Arawn Fenn »

Darksider wrote:they just changed the name at Lucas' request because he didn't think a planet's name would stay the same for 3,000 years.
It was because he thought people would get Korriban confused with Coruscant. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You know, the rocky, creepy Sith tomb-world and the city-planet galactic capital. PEOPLE WERE REALLY GOING TO GET THOSE CONFUSED.

Of course, this is the same Lucas who had Anakin Solo killed off because... wait for it... he didn't want us to get Anakin Solo confused with Anakin Skywalker.

It seems that in his own mind, Lucas is a genius, and we're all drooling morons.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Arawn Fenn wrote:
Darksider wrote:they just changed the name at Lucas' request because he didn't think a planet's name would stay the same for 3,000 years.
It was because he thought people would get Korriban confused with Coruscant. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

You know, the rocky, creepy Sith tomb-world and the city-planet galactic capital. PEOPLE WERE REALLY GOING TO GET THOSE CONFUSED.
actually Corusant and Korriban aren't pronounced that differently, it's not that stupid to assume a casual viewer might get those 2 mixed after all these series aren't made for SW geeks only and I suspect most casual viewers don't even know about Korriban as it's EU material
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Lord Revan wrote:actually Corusant and Korriban aren't pronounced that differently, it's not that stupid to assume a casual viewer might get those 2 mixed after all these series aren't made for SW geeks only and I suspect most casual viewers don't even know about Korriban as it's EU material
After it was a major location in a game widely considered one of the best RPGs ever? Yeah, totally confusable with Coruscant. :roll:

GL leans a little too hard on Viewers Are Morons IMHO. However, the "name of the planet changed over time" handwave is actually surprisingly acceptable for a franchise with such an iffy sense of scale. English alone has changed a lot more than that in way less time.

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

It was a major location in a game that was (according to you) widely considered one of the best RPGs ever...by gamers. I know it's easy to forget that hanging around here but we make up a tiny fraction of the potential audience (even within the subset predisposed to watch Wars).
I know Coruscant and Korriban aren't the same planet. I know they can't be...because I have information the average viewer does not.
SDN: A Type II Imperator-class has 64 HTLs which have a firepower of X GT per barrel per second' etc
The average viewer: 'Um-a Star Destroyer is this big grey triangular ship, right'?
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'