How wealthy did someone need to be to afford a starship?

PSW: discuss Star Wars without "versus" arguments.

Moderator: Vympel

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: How wealthy did someone need to be to afford a starship?

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The "we can get our own ship for that" was for just 10,000, not twenty. Makes it even closer to care level. I'd say it's about the price of a decent BMW.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Minor nitpick, but Luke didn't actually sell his speeder for 2 grand. Obi-Wan said (in the novel) that he had enough to cover the rest...implying that Luke got less than the two thousand credits he wanted.

That said, it still works out to the cost of a low to mid-range sports car to buy a starship. Not too bad really, if you get it financed.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:The "we can get our own ship for that" was for just 10,000, not twenty. Makes it even closer to care level. I'd say it's about the price of a decent BMW.
Although note we don't know what kind of ship they could get for that. Probably a clunker with a hyperdrive so slow the Death Star would have left Alderaan before they got there.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Although note we don't know what kind of ship they could get for that. Probably a clunker with a hyperdrive so slow the Death Star would have left Alderaan before they got there.
Not necessarily. The DS hung around Alderaan while waiting for the location of the Rebel Base. They didn't leave until the Falcon arrived and they tracked it to Yavin.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

StarSword wrote:
Eternal_Freedom wrote:The "we can get our own ship for that" was for just 10,000, not twenty. Makes it even closer to care level. I'd say it's about the price of a decent BMW.
While the clunker part is probably true, it's still "my first ever starship." Probably comparable to a ten year old Corsa as a first car, it gets you on the ladder.

I think the idea that a ship of your own will cost you about as much a mid-priced BMW or similar is probably right. I mean, £40,000 will get you a boat of your own (and a pretty fair one too) so it "feels" right.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.